duplicate key home?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E class 250 CDI 2010 (W212)
duplicate key home?

Hello guys!
I just inherited a Mercedes E class 250 CDI from 2010 as my first car. Unfortunately i know nothing about cars and have only had a drivings license for a year. The car has some stuff that needs to be fixed inculding getting a extra key(Only have one). I have checked with some local dealerships and the cheapest i could find is for 2200 SEK (230$).

Because i am a student and like to solve problems i have now for some hours tried to figure out if there is a cheaper alternative like buying a replica key online and program it myself.
For example:
https://m.banggood.com/433MHz-Car-3-Buttons-Remote-Key-Entry-Transmitter-BGA-chip-For-Mercedes-Benz-2000-p-1225696.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-alsolike#popupStatedetail

What i have understood during this search i have understood that in many cars it is "pretty easy" to duplicate a key if you already have one. Compared to if you have none!

For example i found out that you can put a mustang in "programming mode" which seem to be pretty easy to do and duplicate your key.
https://youtu.be/uide_Qxjel8 (8 minutes in)

I wondered if that is anything that does exist in Mercedes E class w212 or if i need to buy programming tools as well? Like this one
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/F5q7S3OY

Would be very happy to receive any tips on what i can do! Thanks!

Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I can make a duplicate key right inside my Mustang as long as I have 2 keys available by putting a blank in a special coding slot. Unfortunately you are stuck with getting a second key through your dealer. That price you quoted is actually more than fair from my experience.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 181 Likes on 112 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
^ agreed. No way are you going to be able to have a spare key made anywhere else besides a dealership
Old 12-17-2019, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
MB keys are dealer-only item in America, but in Europe you will find qualified locksmith who will reprogram used key. Depends on country the pricing is going to be different.
In my old-country Poland there is guy advertising key reprogramming for way less than $100 and additional key is very cheap.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
I would ask whoever gave you the car if they have the extra key. Note how expensive they are and how troublesome they are to replace.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the reply guys!

Ok i see, damn. I live in Europe so the deal of 230$ was from a locksmith that specializes in car keys. So that is why i thought i could do it myself with some tools. Well well, you all think its worthless to try programming your own key in other words?

Edit, to DFW: i can not ask the person i got it from because he is dead.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by alexj
Thanks for the reply guys!

Ok i see, damn. I live in Europe so the deal of 230$ was from a locksmith that specializes in car keys. So that is why i thought i could do it myself with some tools. Well well, you all think its worthless to try programming your own key in other words?

Edit, to DFW: i can not ask the person i got it from because he is dead.
Understand, and sorry for your loss. But I assume there is an executor of the will, which in many cases is a relative. If your benefactor bought the car as new, there is bound to be the extra key somewhere to be discovered eventually. IMO this is your best bet.

And no, you cannot program your own replacement key. This is permitted with several other car makes, but not Mercedes.

I bought my first Mercedes when the movie "Gone in 60 Seonds" debuted (2000). Mercedes-Benz has always said (then and now) that their tight control over duplicate keys is to discourage auto theft. I tend to agree this policy has succeeded.

I'd make sure the 230$ locksmith price includes the key. I don't think you can buy the key alone for this price, not even at wholesale cost. And I seriously doubt he has the proprietary equipment needed to program it. Europe may be different, but here in the US, there are only a couple places that program MB keys, and they are either Mercedes owned companies or tightly indemnified to MBUSA.

Last edited by DFWdude; 12-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alexj (12-19-2019)

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by DFWdude
Understand, and sorry for your loss. But I assume there is an executor of the will, which in many cases is a relative. If your benefactor bought the car as new, there is bound to be the extra key somewhere to be discovered eventually. IMO this is your best bet.

And no, you cannot program your own replacement key. This is permitted with several other car makes, but not Mercedes.

I bought my first Mercedes when the movie "Gone in 60 Seonds" debuted (2000). Mercedes-Benz has always said (then and now) that their tight control over duplicate keys is to discourage auto theft. I tend to agree this policy has succeeded.

I'd make sure the 230$ locksmith price includes the key. I don't think you can buy the key alone for this price, not even at wholesale cost. And I seriously doubt he has the proprietary equipment needed to program it. Europe may be different, but here in the US, there are only a couple places that program MB keys, and they are either Mercedes owned companies or tightly indemnified to MBUSA.
Ok i see, thank you for your help!