E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 e550: too old to purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2013 E350
Originally Posted by Robxc80
I’m adding the extended CPO for just over 3K.
You're paying too much for the two year CPO extension. You don't have to buy it from the dealer from which you buy the car. You can buy it from any dealer, and some will discount significantly. Many here bought their two year CPO extension from Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors in Kentucky for a price in the range of $1850-$1900, plus zero sales tax. You can find his phone number and email address in the warranty forum.

As to electronics, I don't have distronic and wouldn't want it. Keyless go is nice but hardly necessary. Of course, I also have no interest in a 430 HP engine, but if you do . . . a bird in the hand, if you can afford it, it worth more than the dream of a future bush.
The following users liked this post:
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 e350
Originally Posted by Kilt
You're paying too much for the two year CPO extension. You don't have to buy it from the dealer from which you buy the car. You can buy it from any dealer, and some will discount significantly. Many here bought their two year CPO extension from Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors in Kentucky for a price in the range of $1850-$1900, plus zero sales tax. You can find his phone number and email address in the warranty forum.

As to electronics, I don't have distronic and wouldn't want it. Keyless go is nice but hardly necessary. Of course, I also have no interest in a 430 HP engine, but if you do . . . a bird in the hand, if you can afford it, it worth more than the dream of a future bush.
what I’m paying for is them getting the car to CPO and then extending it for a total of 3 years. Not sure if I’m missing something.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
what I’m paying for is them getting the car to CPO and then extending it for a total of 3 years. Not sure if I’m missing something.
CPO automatically comes with 1 year of coverage. Max for CPO is 3 years. So you're paying 3k for the extra 2 year CPO warranty from the dealer. Check the extended warranty subforum. You can buy the warranty from any MB dealer in the country and some of them discount it so that it's only $100 over their cost. The local dealers use it as a profit center so they're making way more than $100 on the warranty. Jeff gets mentioned a lot and so does one other vendor. There are claims that each one of them is cheaper than the other so I'd get quotes from 2-3 of the ones mentioned in that forum. If they're quoting you 3k for the extra 2 years of coverage, sounds like you can just save another 1k by declining the coverage from the dealer and getting it from another vendor.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:30 PM

2013 E350

I was in a similar situation as you with my 2013 E350 in 2018. The dealer was selling it as a non-CPO used car. I negotiated to have them CPO it, which necessitated all new brakes, refinishing the wheels and some other things. All for an increased price, of course.

The initial CPO warranty is for one year, unlimited miles.

Separately, you can buy one or two more optional years of additional CPO warranty at any time, and from any dealer, before the initial one-year CPO warranty runs out (though you may have to pay a higher price if you wait more than 30 days after your CPO car purchase). I assumed that when you said you added the "extended CPO for just over 3K" you were talking just about the price of the optional two-year extension. If so, you can get the optional two-year extension for much less than $3000 from the source I named and a few others.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Ask the dealer for two prices. First, a price that includes only the the initial one-year CPO warranty. Second, a price that includes two optional years for a total of three years of CPO warranty. That will allow you to see what that dealer is charging you for the optional two year extension and compare it to the more discounted prices you can get from Jeff Jackson or the other sources you can find in the warranty forum.
Robxc80 (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 11:57 PM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
CPO automatically comes with 1 year of coverage. Max for CPO is 3 years. So you're paying 3k for the extra 2 year CPO warranty from the dealer. Check the extended warranty subforum. You can buy the warranty from any MB dealer in the country and some of them discount it so that it's only $100 over their cost. The local dealers use it as a profit center so they're making way more than $100 on the warranty. Jeff gets mentioned a lot and so does one other vendor. There are claims that each one of them is cheaper than the other so I'd get quotes from 2-3 of the ones mentioned in that forum. If they're quoting you 3k for the extra 2 years of coverage, sounds like you can just save another 1k by declining the coverage from the dealer and getting it from another vendor.
got it.

what I meant was that the car wasn’t listed as a CPO. I paid to get them tk CPO it (recondition and give me that 1 year), and then added the two year extension. Not sure if that makes sense.

in other words, the car would’ve been 27k without any CPO warranty. I paid them 3400 for the CPO and the extra two years.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:59 PM

2011 e350
I was in a similar situation as you with my 2013 E350 in 2018. The dealer was selling it as a non-CPO used car. I negotiated to have them CPO it, which necessitated all new brakes, refinishing the wheels and some other things. All for an increased price, of course.

The initial CPO warranty is for one year, unlimited miles.

Separately, you can buy one or two more optional years of additional CPO warranty at any time, and from any dealer, before the initial one-year CPO warranty runs out (though you may have to pay a higher price if you wait more than 30 days after your CPO car purchase). I assumed that when you said you added the "extended CPO for just over 3K" you were talking just about the price of the optional two-year extension. If so, you can get the optional two-year extension for much less than $3000 from the source I named and a few others.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Ask the dealer for two prices. First, a price that includes only the the initial one-year CPO warranty. Second, a price that includes two optional years for a total of three years of CPO warranty. That will allow you to see what that dealer is charging you for the optional two year extension and compare it to the more discounted prices you can get from Jeff Jackson or the other sources you can find in the warranty forum.
oh ok. I get it. Thanks for taking the time to break it down. I’m getting really excited to get this car. I find myself looking at rims/exhaust already.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:01 AM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
I’m going to get the car. Gotta wait for them to finish up the CPO process and send me some final pics.

I appreciate all the help from you all.
Were you able to get the extra $500 deducted being that it doesn't have keyless go? What is the price breakdown for the car, CPO process, and the two extra warranty years?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:10 AM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by DMWelk
Were you able to get the extra $500 deducted being that it doesn't have keyless go? What is the price breakdown for the car, CPO process, and the two extra warranty years?
I did get the 500 off.

I was comparing to their platinum warranty plan which I was going to get until the dealer offered to CPO air for three years for much less than the Platinum warranty.

Add fees, registration, delivery to CA from AZ, and 10.25% sales tax to arrive just over 34k. I get raped in taxes where I live. CA DMV also commits armed robbery on the price of car registration.

Last edited by Robxc80; 03-09-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:18 AM

2011 e350
I’ll get an itemized breakdown Monday.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:05 AM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
I did get the 500 off.

car for 27,008. 3445 for the three years of CPO. I didn’t break the CPO down and didn’t ask out of ignorance. I was comparing to their platinum warranty plan which I was going to get until the dealer offered to CPO air for three years for much less than the Platinum warranty.

Add fees, registration, delivery to CA from AZ, and 10.25% sales tax to arrive just over 34k. I get raped in taxes where I live. CA DMV also commits armed robbery on the price of car registration.
I know what you mean sales tax in Lynnwood, Washington 15 minutes from Seattle is 10.5% so I feel your pain. Looks as though you have got them down almost $3K from their asking price. I think you have done well if you are getting the CPO with an additional 2 years of warranty on top of the one year you get with a CPO vehicle. From my experience in buying 3 CPO vehicles, you can expect to pay $2K to $3K more for a CPO MB and you are at $3400 for CPO plus an additional two years.
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 03:05 AM

2011 e350
I know what you mean sales tax in Lynnwood, Washington 15 minutes from Seattle is 10.5% so I feel your pain. Looks as though you have got them down almost $3K from their asking price. I think you have done well if you are getting the CPO with an additional 2 years of warranty on top of the one year you get with a CPO vehicle. From my experience in buying 3 CPO vehicles, you can expect to pay $2K to $3K more for a CPO MB and you are at $3400 for CPO plus an additional two years.
thank you. I appreciate all the time you’ve taken to help me along. This post helps me feel even better about my decision.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350
thank you. I appreciate all the time you’ve taken to help me along. This post helps me feel even better about my decision.
Rationalizing a purchase through forum knowledge is a huge benefit of the Digital Age..

Your idling vid (and fish tank&#128526 is my new benchmark sound for a healthy M27x engine. Kudos on your purchase!
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
$3400 for the car to be CPO'd and the extension is not a bad price.

I have KeylessGO and the only part of it I find useful is the electronic trunk closer. I do not use the rest of it, as I am apparently weird in that I prefer to turn a key rather than press a button. And what good is locator lighting and puddle lights if they don't come on until you touch the door handle? Also when using the key, you can switch the car off and pull out the key and it will automatically shift to park. I almost never actually press the park button.. not sure why I like that, but I do.

I also have lane track, but lane departure warning is annoying and I keep it turned off anyway. I also second the person above that didn't want DISTRONIC. These systems are still in the early stages and I find them annoying, but I am excited for what the future holds with self driving tech.

So don't mourn too much over these missing features. Enjoy your V8.
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 11:57 AM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by MergingMikeyF1
Rationalizing a purchase through forum knowledge is a huge benefit of the Digital Age..

Your idling vid (and fish tank&#128526 is my new benchmark sound for a healthy M27x engine. Kudos on your purchase!
thank you. Those fish tanks....talk about a money pit. Lol
Old 03-08-2020, 11:59 AM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
$3400 for the car to be CPO'd and the extension is not a bad price.

I have KeylessGO and the only part of it I find useful is the electronic trunk closer. I do not use the rest of it, as I am apparently weird in that I prefer to turn a key rather than press a button. And what good is locator lighting and puddle lights if they don't come on until you touch the door handle? Also when using the key, you can switch the car off and pull out the key and it will automatically shift to park. I almost never actually press the park button.. not sure why I like that, but I do.

I also have lane track, but lane departure warning is annoying and I keep it turned off anyway. I also second the person above that didn't want DISTRONIC. These systems are still in the early stages and I find them annoying, but I am excited for what the future holds with self driving tech.

So don't mourn too much over these missing features. Enjoy your V8.
thank you for tour thoughts on some of the missing features. I had Audi’s version of Distronic in my former 2017 Q7 and hated it too. Only automated self driving tech that seems to get consistent positive reviews is the Tesla Auto Pilot. Only bad things so far is that people have died!
Old 03-08-2020, 12:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550
I too could give a crap about distronic. I’m not one that can put faith in that type of tech so it was pointless to me when looking for one of these.
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Getting new technology is always coming with hesitation. Took me a while to trust "HOLD" function when I am stopped at red lights, ECO turns the engine off, but after some waiting, the computer decide to start the engine again (probably for battery charging).
So tailor your options to your needs. When I don't see much use for distronic, as I don't allow other cars be in front of me for long, the blind spot assistance keeps growing on me. When I like to change the lanes without much space, the extra "eye" who doesn't blink and is not blinded by the sun becomes very appreciated. The brake assistance is way oversensitive, but than it is better to have it coming on 100 times without real need, than have it not coming in single incident when needed.
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:02 PM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Getting new technology is always coming with hesitation. Took me a while to trust "HOLD" function when I am stopped at red lights, ECO turns the engine off, but after some waiting, the computer decide to start the engine again (probably for battery charging).
So tailor your options to your needs. When I don't see much use for distronic, as I don't allow other cars be in front of me for long, the blind spot assistance keeps growing on me. When I like to change the lanes without much space, the extra "eye" who doesn't blink and is not blinded by the sun becomes very appreciated. The brake assistance is way oversensitive, but than it is better to have it coming on 100 times without real need, than have it not coming in single incident when needed.
i agree 100% about the blind spot monitoring. My old Q7 and my new GLE both have it and this is a feature along with keyless go that’ll I’ll miss having. I guess the good News is that my next car will have it. Probably will buy a 2022 E53 in the year 2026. I guess a TT I6 is in my distant future. Lol.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:12 PM

2011 e350
Here are my two current cars. The e350 will be sold as soon as I get the e550. Kept this e350 mint. Still love the boxy look. Just wish it had more power.

just got the GLE in Feb. filled with tech and the new MBUX is pretty nice. The new E will get it and it makes a world of a difference compared to the COMAND system. So easy to use.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
. Probably will buy a 2022 E53 in the year 2026. I guess a TT I6 is in my distant future. Lol.
My plan is to wait for self-driving car
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:30 PM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by kajtek1
My plan is to wait for self-driving car
good point. By then there will be a whole new generation of cars. 5G will rewrite everything.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:49 PM

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts
2015 ML400 4MATIC, 2014 E350 4MATIC, 2006 E350
good point. By then there will be a whole new generation of cars. 5G will rewrite everything.
Have photos of the inside? and make sure the battery is new as well. considering the age.

please make sure the burl walnut wood trim isn’t faded. aghhhh
Robxc80 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:53 PM

2011 e350
Originally Posted by ml3504matic____
Have photos of the inside? and make sure the battery is new as well. considering the age.

please make sure the burl walnut wood trim isn’t faded. aghhhh
the photos of the interior were listed earlier. All is good. No fading in the trim.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:06 PM

2013 E350
I remain confused about the total price of $34,000+.

The car is listed at $29,888 as a CPO car, which means that asking price includes the initial one-year CPO warranty:

https://www.mbofnorthscottsdale.com/...hf9bbxea892396

You said you negotiated $2400 to $2900 off that price before getting into the issue of the two-year CPO warranty extension. So you seemed to be at about $27,000 for the car with a one-year CPO warranty. If you can get the two-year CPO extension from Jeff Jackson or someone else for about $1900, that means you should pay about $28,900 for the car with three years of CPO warranty -- before taxes, fees and shipping. Do those items add up to $5000+ to push the total price all the way to $34,000+???
Robxc80 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 08:27 PM

2011 e350
I remain confused about the total price of $34,000+.

The car is listed at $29,888 as a CPO car, which means that asking price includes the initial one-year CPO warranty:

https://www.mbofnorthscottsdale.com/...hf9bbxea892396
You said you negotiated $2400 to $2900 off that price before getting into the issue of the two-year CPO warranty extension. So you seemed to be at about $27,000 for the car with a one-year CPO warranty. If you can get the two-year CPO extension from Jeff Jackson or someone else for about $1900, that means you should pay about $28,900 for the car with three years of CPO warranty -- before taxes, fees and shipping. Do those items add up to $5000+ to push the total price all the way to $34,000+???
it was listed as used without warranty. At least that’s how I understood since I found it on Autotrader where I was listed as used. Now after looking at this link, you have me wondering. I got quoted just over 2K from Jeff so I’ll wait for the itemized breakdown as I begin the paperwork process. I’ll post a full breakdown tomorrow or Tuesday.

Last edited by Robxc80; 03-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 e550: too old to purchase?