icarsoft mb2.0 not reading ecm..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 03:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2010 mercedes e550
icarsoft mb2.0 not reading ecm..

Hey guys,

Do any of you guys have or have used a icarsoft mb v2.0 on w212 e550? and are you able to read/scan your ecm and other main sections for fault codes?

I recently got a cel/p0430(i do know the definition of the code) and so i purchase a icarsoft scanner, it was updated to latest software v2.70, but after doing the auto/scan, then try to enter ecm section but keeps getting link error.
I did remove the obd2 port to inspect any open/damaged pins, which were fine. I did email tech. support at icarsoft to see what the issue, waiting on reply..

so was wondering anybody else might have encountered this issue and were you able to resolve it?

since having issues loading pics..

here is the message, typed.

Link error, please check
1. if the vehicle is equipped with the electrical control module
2. if the cable is connected correctly
3. if the key is ignition ON.

Last edited by reefguy; 06-18-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,335 Likes on 2,219 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
ghost ECU

While I am not an iCarSoft user, I've had missing ECU not posting on the OBD modules list.

Try a 10mn battery disconnect to reset sleepless SAMs - Hope this helps restore connectivity to your ECU.
🤞
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (06-19-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 10:37 PM

2010 mercedes e550
Unfortunately, that was my first my action that was done. The battery was left disconnected overnight and the cel was still there.. I would have thought having the battery disconnected that long would have erase all monitors, but out of luck..
Old 06-18-2022, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,374 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
I hope it is not like my Autel, the last 2 firmware revision on the MB database is actually making the Autel BAD !!!!
Some bi-directional functions become "damaged" operational wise.

If you can go back to old firmware, do so and don't ever update if the old one works for you.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:16 PM

2010 mercedes e550
Hmm, that never crossed my mind. Because I updated the unit straight out of the box. But I'm going to see if it's downgradable back to the original.

I was very close to getting the autel mx808 instead, any experience with that unit?

Thanks for advice.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by reefguy
Hmm, that never crossed my mind. Because I updated the unit straight out of the box. But I'm going to see if it's downgradable back to the original.

I was very close to getting the autel mx808 instead, any experience with that unit?

Thanks for advice.
https://www.autel.com/c/www/mk2/3223.jhtml get the one with wireless dongle, BT version.
Mine is MS906BT. Basically the same, except mine is bigger screen, a bit bigger 8" compared to 808 of 7"
https://www.autel.com/c/www/mk3/3219.jhtml

I get confused with Autel way of numbering their models.

One thing for sure, they are bringing price down a lot for the mid class units we are discussing. So shop smart and buy from proper Autel USA, that way you get proper support.
Autel is like a "*****" company I think, because there are so many distributors and I can't even find 1 true master website/company, unlike say for example if you buy DJI products or GoPro cameras.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:49 AM

2010 mercedes e550
Since I'm trying track down the exact cause of my p0430,(even though I know the multiple parts causing the issue) I dont want to just throw parts at it, I rather learn and pinpoint the exact part. That's where I'm having issue of passing the basic ecm reading section to access the live data stream..

I'm hoping to find out if this icarsoft is compatible/software with this year/make, before I move to find the correct scanner.

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2022, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Search W212. DTC list. I have posted, but based on my 3.0 Turbo M276. However, most engine computer if V6 for gasoline is similar.

Is the DTC explanation the same in icarsoft ? Surely we must trust MB-Xentry one

Old 06-19-2022, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do a test run and do WOT often. If your UP-Stream sensor 1 & DownStream sensor 2 CAT temperature is not like mine at the middle of the graph , that is a sign of CAT starting to go bad.
Vast temperature difference and the up/down trend between sensor 1 and 2 is the bad sign....
ADD: ASSUMING 02 sensors are all healthy. There is no OBD2 data for Bank 2 sensor 2 on my ECU, don't ask me why.

These data are from oxygen sensors, which for our engine has temperature sensors in them.

The more you push your engine the closer the two temperature are and they do zig-zag between each other.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 06-19-2022 at 03:43 AM. Reason: add info
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
AllPhonesAretap (06-19-2022), CaliBenzDriver (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by reefguy
Since I'm trying track down the exact cause of my p0430,(even though I know the multiple parts causing the issue) I dont want to just throw parts at it, I rather learn and pinpoint the exact part. That's where I'm having issue of passing the basic ecm reading section to access the live data stream..

I'm hoping to find out if this icarsoft is compatible/software with this year/make, before I move to find the correct scanner.
One way to troubleshoot this issue without throwing parts in it is to swap the oxygen sensors between banks 1and 2. If your code would change to point to the bank 1 (p0420?) then it would indicate oxygen sensor problem on sensors you currently have in bank 2.

Then I would buy one sensor (assuming they all are the same) and change them one at the time to see which one has gone bad. If the engine currently runs fine without signs of smoke or other fuel burning issues I would think it is the one after converter.

To my understanding (the pros correct me if I’m wrong) the pre-converter sensor is the one used for engine fuel controls and the post-converter sensor is in place to monitor how well the converter works so if the engine behaves as normal it points to the post-converter sensor or the converter has simply gone bad and the post-converter sensor is correctly telling about this.

But the above does not tell how good the scanner is. I have the iCarsoft MB II and it also has very limited ecm scanning. It shows data when there is a code related to the ecm. It also does not have anything about the fuel system other than the fuel rail pressure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Arrie:
AllPhonesAretap (06-19-2022), CaliBenzDriver (06-19-2022), pierrejoliat (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 01:07 PM

2010 mercedes e550
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Do a test run and do WOT often. If your UP-Stream sensor 1 & DownStream sensor 2 CAT temperature is not like mine at the middle of the graph , that is a sign of CAT starting to go bad.
Vast temperature difference and the up/down trend between sensor 1 and 2 is the bad sign....
ADD: ASSUMING 02 sensors are all healthy. There is no OBD2 data for Bank 2 sensor 2 on my ECU, don't ask me why.

These data are from oxygen sensors, which for our engine has temperature sensors in them.

The more you push your engine the closer the two temperature are and they do zig-zag between each other.
wow, WOT at 125mph? our freeways are only 55mph and 65 max and tons of cops. while, I definitely do not have any problems doing that, actually sounds like fun. but without a descent scanner at moment like your xentry, i won't able to read that data at the moment.

how much and where did you buy your xentry?
Old 06-19-2022, 01:12 PM

2010 mercedes e550
Originally Posted by Arrie
One way to troubleshoot this issue without throwing parts in it is to swap the oxygen sensors between banks 1and 2. If your code would change to point to the bank 1 (p0420?) then it would indicate oxygen sensor problem on sensors you currently have in bank 2.

Then I would buy one sensor (assuming they all are the same) and change them one at the time to see which one has gone bad. If the engine currently runs fine without signs of smoke or other fuel burning issues I would think it is the one after converter.

To my understanding (the pros correct me if I’m wrong) the pre-converter sensor is the one used for engine fuel controls and the post-converter sensor is in place to monitor how well the converter works so if the engine behaves as normal it points to the post-converter sensor or the converter has simply gone bad and the post-converter sensor is correctly telling about this.

But the above does not tell how good the scanner is. I have the iCarsoft MB II and it also has very limited ecm scanning. It shows data when there is a code related to the ecm. It also does not have anything about the fuel system other than the fuel rail pressure.
That is my next move is to the swap sensors and chase it. I wonder if your mbII has the same software as my mb v2.0, like you said " limited "
Old 06-19-2022, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Reef,
My logging was using OBD2 gauge, Banks Data Monster ( logger with memory card, OBD2 version ) https://bankspower.com/collections/i...igital-monitor.
Xentry is poor with logging of this sort. I am using generic OBD2 data out of the engine computer.

That full graph was a test drive with my new wheel & tire, front left one which got damaged by pot hole, hence I need to run at least 200KM/H to check for vibration because for Jakarta-Bali run,
there is a part of the highway I can cruise at easy 180KM/H decently long and safe from pot holes.

The middle graph WOT is not at 125mph only final one at the end, middle graph was 2nd to 3rd gear pull. 3rd gear pull would be already a speed violation for you, you then do 1st - 2nd gear pull.
The idea is to get RPM to hit 6,000 and get the CAT to be hot. CAT works with temperature swing to clear/cook/convert the bad stuff.
I believe 600C is the proper minimum temperature the CAT action/reaction starts to work well, see data point 500 to 1,000.

Here is a better RPM vs CAT temperature

Look at green circle, do you notice how when engine revved to near 6,000 RPM is done, only then the CAT temperature did a nice swing between blue and red color graph ?
I mean blue line (upstream) can be cooler than red line (downstream), that is the CAT working removing/converting bad stuff.

BTW, my Xentry is the naughty PassThru version from youtube

Old 06-19-2022, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I forgot to add
M276 front oxygen sensor is wide band 6 wire also called lambda sensor and the rear one is regular narrow band one with 4 wires.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here, have a go at my log file. Attached.

My Banks Gauge for some reason can not read M276 FRONT wide band Lambda sensor correctly ( result is opposite, rich = lean and vice versa ),
so I do not log those parameters. Lambda sensors are unique and the Bosch unit we use produce very low milliamps output.
The narrow band 02 sensor of the REAR/Downtstream is easy common 0.45V as AFR 14.7 ( gasoline )

The rear oxygen sensor when they swing like mine in response to engine rev and throttle lift up, that is healthy. As to how fast they respond, that is another story. Overtime they become slower/lazy in the respond.
No need to run road test, even while stationary we can do the voltage swing for rear 02 sensor with throttle play.

Front oxygen/lambda sensor can be read the same way stationary using busy throttle activity, but you need your icarsoft to work to read ECM value for the Lambda.

At the least my Bank gauge can still record fuel trim data, short and long term trim....but the AFR response for front oxygen/lambda sensor is very important too... and that can come from icarsoft/autel/xentry and in LAMBDA, not using AFR value.
I did complaint to Banks Gauge, but they said there is nothing they can do. DAMN !!!

I logged all my driving with the Banks Gauge because I can see trouble brewing before it become real trouble.
I am a data junkie when it comes to engine parameter.

NOTE : The AFR ( air fuel ratio ) data on my log file for front oxygen sensors, both BANKS are opposite value of actual. DO NOT USE it as any reference.

Attached Files

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 06-20-2022 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:23 PM

2010 mercedes e550
I like that your data monster seem to be pretty darn good and accurate at logging those fields of live data..

My wife had seem to have bough a few fixd obd dongles for the kids for stocking stuffer for christmas. so i figured why not give it a try..

it was able to display o2 sensor1 voltage only(not the mentioning if its bank 1/2), while with the engine on and idle it was sitting at .47v and swinged up to7v while reving up to approx. 3-4k rpm. It does have pretty good throttle response till today, but this morning, while checking out the fixd dongle the throttle reponse, when settling rpm needle went up and down from mild revs, instead of the needle settle down back to around 6-700rpm in one motion it did small pop/jump to like 1k and then it setttled, totally weird it never did that before. I wondering if the o2 sensor/lambda is also the culprit now...
Old 06-21-2022, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Before I got Banks Data Monster, I use this one :
Amazon Amazon
with Torque App. It is okey, but limited to 8 parameters only on the CSV file logging. Dont choose too many parameters to be shown on the tablet/phone, the Torque App will lag.
Funny enough, this one actually can read Lambda value and correct AFR for my front oxygen sensor ( but I do not know which bank too ...LOL ), while the Banks Gauge got it opposite

Torque App with OBDLink LX

BANKS, cuckoo AFR value
See the AFR gets higher than 14.7 when I pedal to the metal, it should be under 14.7 AFR hahaha.........
See how nice my local highway patrol is, I passed them at 120KM/H at minute 01:13 where speed limit is 80 KM/H, and they ignore me.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:54 PM

2010 mercedes e550
I guess that means the Banks developers are not the brightness and very lacking.. you figure they make and sell a diagnostic tools that would have some level of on-going tech/support. or they just sell the products that were developed by someone else and just they just slap there name on it.

we'll yesterday i was able to view the live data stream on the b1/s1/, b2/s1, even it didn't have the b1/s2,b2/b2 data and what it displayed seemed normal during idle and voltage fluctuations, during revs.

I did find the air intake breather tube was disconnected and after it was installed back, the throttle response was quicker and the car felt more snappier. I was able to erase the code and it stayed off. but i have not accomplished the drive cycle to see how all the other monitors are doing. So in summary, i hope the breather tube was the culprit.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, Banks Gauge as with most successful US companies who are locally succcesful, focus themselves in their own US cars market. Banks is very good with diesel.
1 more additional gauge and many sensor from them is coming the end of the month, I am happy with their unit ( except the AFR ) and have tested for a year now... so expansion plan proceed as planned.

Front lambda/oxgen sensor does not produce voltage, it produces milliamps and for our M276 it is 1.5 milliamps maximum.
This is the difficult part for OBD2 gauges, as many OBD2 often uses subtituted voltage value of some sort and the accuracy is not guaranteed.

While the Torque Apps shows correct direction of AFR , it is not accurate when I later on got Xentry scanner to see actual Lambda value.
At the least the direction of Lean-Rich AFR is correct

I do hope the intake breather tube is the only culprit.