E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need Help guage cluster going crazy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212,W220 S65 AMG
Need Help guage cluster going crazy

W212 2011 E350 Bluetec with 642 engine and 7g trans, issue I am having is the RPMs jump around like just the needle on the dash not the engine the car runs perfect this is an electrical issue it also throws the ESP and ABS and usual not cruise control light I see codes for modules on the drive can bus system saying they aren't communicating but when I unplug all the modules on the passenger floor board it still does the same thing, so I need help find all the modules/nodes that could make this issue for me so far I have replaced the ecu to no avail does same thing with both keep in mind that the trans ecu and ISM ecu and front and rear Sam are new replaced about 10K ago maybe less and I can't scan the ECU engine CR6 with my autel IM608 pro scanner will see all other ECU just not Engine I pulled the engine ecu and replaced it and still does the same thing ECU works perfectly fine on bench what I am asking is one any ideas on what to do next and wire diagrams for all the nodes on all the can bus system as I am new to using an oscilloscope I did scope the interior can bus and the drive one, and they seem to be okay, so I was hoping maybe there was more can bus blocks I could get to unplug more nodes to see if one of those could be causing the issue I know of the ones on the floor board on both the driver and passenger side, but I am hoping they would be more somewhere else I tried WIS, but it's not showing any wire diagram maybe I am looking it up wrong, but any help would be really appreciated Thank u very much
Old 11-08-2022, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,334 Likes on 2,218 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Genesis...

You have error messages displayed on dash and a bouncy tach.

You've replaced most VIP's: ECU, Tranny and both SAM modules. You've scoped around and disconnected live buses

You have a WIS edition without diagrams ...

Let me ask you ...:
- How well does this car drive if at all ?

- What is the current list of faults in english (not code ID's) ?

- How did that car start disfonctioning, what happened to it, what mileage ?

- How serviceable is the main battery: good & charged up?

- Have you cleaned up any GND from driver seat to front bumper??

- Are you replacement modules being coded and tested to work well ?

- Any reported signs of water intrusion?

Once done checking the obvious and the basics we'll try to concentrate on specifics from live faults.
Cluster is built to be a reliable module.
✔️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 11-08-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:24 PM

W212,W220 S65 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ror-codes.html

this link explains what my car is doing i will scan the car again and take a video and post also this TSB seems to be exactly what my car is doing

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35646-9999.pdf
Old 11-08-2022, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,365 Likes on 2,555 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
WIS is where wiring diagram is and the how to repair.
EPC is where the spare part is.

I have the naughty WIS 2020 without EPC capability.
I have ebay WIS/EPC but 2018 and it is slow , unlike WIS 2020.

David,
When you write/type, do pay attention to full stop, coma and paragraph.
The more uncomfortable your "post" is to read, the lesser help you get as it is tiring to read such writing style.

Use this to convert the XPS file to PDF https://xpstopdf.com/
Attached all things CAN BUS. Good thing I have done search on it or else this take a few hours to accumulate.

Have fun...............
Attached Files
File Type: zip
CAN BUS.zip (7.95 MB, 15 views)
Old 11-08-2022, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

unrelated chopped harness...

TSB chassis coverage....

I am not part of the TSB militia.... to find solution to your problem it would help tremendously if you dug up related material. This TSB is not applicable to W212. Similar in some ways but cause is different.

Correct me... :
The TSB above has every possible faults from unprotected harness getting cutout over sharp body edges. It then goes on to say repair harness.

I do believe you have every DTC a W212 can dish out but not because of above TSB problem so the solution is not applicable.

Don't cut corner to rush and change more good parts because then problem will keep remaining unaltered until identified.

Hundreds of problems can cause these cars to seriously disfunction. It may take hundreds of hours to find the 5¢ issue.
Help us help you, follow guidance a little

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 11-08-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:38 PM

W212,W220 S65 AMG
I usually do pay attention to the way I type I am just freaking about over this issue because it is my daily driver and not sure what to do next when I scanned the car just now the issues went away so all the codes are stored but I took pictures of all of them to post on here thank u very much for all your help
Old 11-08-2022, 01:54 PM

W212,W220 S65 AMG
pictures of fault codes

keep in mind it will not communicate with the Engine ECU even when no problem is found and there is a video of what is does when it acts up

Attached Thumbnails Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image0.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image2.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image3.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image4.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image5.jpeg  

Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image7.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image7_1.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image8.jpeg   Need Help guage cluster going crazy-image8_1.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Video.zip (4.16 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by DavidPetrisor; 11-08-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awsome MB

good deal... let me have a good look at your collection over lunch time...

Troubles that come and go do sound like bad connections, something MB has perfected over the years into an art form - After that the trouble is identifing where & was circuit is acting up

Nothing simple.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:54 PM

W212,W220 S65 AMG
Thank u very much and I totally agree with u
Old 11-08-2022, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

working towards simplification...

I've read all the pics that were not upside down. This long list is of faults is pretty incluside. Hint... there's a chance security is in it for something with uncoded donor modules.

When you scoped your CAN-C did anything jump at you as abnormal in synch with crazy modules?

My gut feeling is that... one or more swamped module is disrupting CAN-C. From there it's domino effects...
You've already done the CAN disconnections..
I am going to guess it yield nothing worthy... disconnect all but ECU and SAM's. Scope CAN-C and scan to see if these two VIP can be considered stable despite fault regarding missing disconnected peripherals.

At some point you need to narrow down your list of questionable modules by eliminating known-goods.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 11-09-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:55 PM

W212,W220 S65 AMG

these are pictures from when I scoped the Interior can bus system Brown and Brown/Red if u think I should scope other system let me know thanks again I really appreciate all your help
Old 11-08-2022, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JUNCTION BLOCKS

Brown-Red is CAN-B right? We're intetested about CAN-C that links all the major modules: ECU, ESP, TCU, EIS, ESM, LPFP, F-SAM, ...

Look at CAN-C signal: Pass or Fail?

Identify what connector/Module is responsible for corrupting CAN-C at bus block.

Once you have the problem identified it will become obvious, it's the funnel process to get there that's not automagic. Sort the good/bad using the process of elimination with tests: car scans & CAN-C scopes for now.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,365 Likes on 2,555 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Too bad your engine is diesel, if it is M276 3.5 or better M276 3.0 Turbo I have done my CAN BUS list.
Its so time consuming to do the list, I suggest you start reading them and make your own custom list to find which modules supposedly now going banana, belongs to which CAN BUS channel, as Cali suggest.

I am attaching mine, it may not be 100% accurate as it was work in progress 95% ish completed and could not be 100% completed as I can't verify certain components too, unless I tear part of interior to verify what I have.
It maybe different a bit for your car too because there are so many variants of MB cars of the world and your engine is diesel and is before facelift.
However, you will get the idea once you read my list

I did not look at your scanner screen captures at all as they are 90 and 180 degrees out of rotation and I may get neck-ache I am a PC guy wiith big screen, not tablet or smartphone guy. Me eyes old, hate small screens.
I also do not like to download image just to flip it back to normal viewing for so many pictures/image you attached.
Again, if you want people to help you, you too must make effort to present the material in easy manner to read direct.
Yes I probably sound so ****, but we must assist one another in a balanced way.

Dont be in a panic mode.
The wiring diagram of MB is not the easiest to read because of so many variants of W212 in 1 diaghram. You need patience to write OFF what is NOT for your car.
Take your time and it will be good for your troubleshooting. Read a lot on the MB CAN BUS materials.

Good luck and have patience
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
A1 - Can Bus Topo.xlsx (12.3 KB, 28 views)
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (11-09-2022)