Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
OBD2 or DLC ( Data Link Connector ) repair

Guys,

If one day you need to do the repair, here is the information.

Me hands too itchy and my OBD2 port has been plug-unplugged over 200 times already , so the battle wound as shown below...............

It is called X11/4 in the electrical diagram.

I am ordering a new connector housing ( no female terminals ), as mine has been "raped" way too often. Below is the P/N.
I can't get the exact P/N for the female terminal from WIS.

Such "tongue" condition of the female terminal may damage the male pin of my scanner.
Take a look at the most right side photo, that is a friction damage so severe from male terminal poking it few hundred times. Maybe this female terminal #16 has a bad tongue opening much early in its life.
None of my male OBD2 plug from all of my scanners got bent or impact damage on its pointed end for male pin #16, but this female terminal got gang-bang-ded by at least 7 male OBD plugs.....

There are 2 candidates female terminal based on WIS.

I have managed to track the manufacturer and got the technical drawing and indeed Lear AFK 1.5 is what MB uses for DLC/OBD2.

While both are interchangeable and the locking position in the connector body is 100% the same, the Delphi tounge is too narrow and will be less forgiving if male terminal is not very straight.

I have measured my damaged Lear AFK 1.5 female terminal, confirmed it is correct to 0.1mm dimensional accuracy to Lear drawing.

I have ordered the Lear AKF 1.5 female terminal from DeyTrade ( Germany ) and also many many more other types/model/brand female and male terminals, because I seen many variations used in the car .
The connector plastic housing I will be ordering from MB Indonesia, no choice. Could be up to 3 months.

I will later modify the OBD2 wiring , it will have a secondary connector for future ease of work, now my neck got strained from doing this OBD2, kneel on my knee on the floor and peek upwards....DAMN, so stiff my neck from trying
to take photos ( female terminal too small for my eyes even with reading glasses ) and using 20x magnifying glass like 20+ minutes and twice, as camera auto-focusing on the female terminal is difficult.
So the modified wiring would be : original 5 wires from MB>>> secondary connector 6 pin ( Deutsch )>>> extension wires of 20 -30 cm >>> OBD2/DLC connector
This way I can replace the 5 female terminals in the OBD2/DLC connector say per 2-3 years and no more neck strain, I can do it on my working table

2 magnifying glass-es, no1 and 2 ....LOL

Cable side view

Hope someone will find this handy someday...........

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
thank you Surya

How did you get to question the bad DLC pins?

DLC GND's

Eagle-eye liked how two distinct GND are nicely provided on the DLC ( Power GND + Signal GND) - Often identical besides when "load drop voltage" occurs.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-29-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver

How did you get to question the bad DLC pins?

You see, the Xentry-Ninja has the thickest and heaviest cable of all. Yesterday I went out somewhere I can do 45 + 45 minutes round trip, so I tried recording my B70/2b1 to verify its state of health aka no glitch.
So sometime by accident my leg or road bumps upset the connection. However yesterday it was way too sensitive, disconnection happened to easy.
Hence I investigated my OBD2 female port. I also have calculated at the rate it is being gang-bang-ded, the terminal will need to be replaced soon anyway.

Cablea size comparison

While Autel wireless OBD2 dongle is the lightest, the in-the-car permanent OBD2 split wire is very light weight and a nice 90 degree, so load is very low for MB female OBD2 port.

All male plugs, its pin 16 is clean, no damage markings or bent. Pin 16 male is at most left bottom row using male plug WIDEST as top side.

The at the C4 Xentry pin numbers, wrong alphabet printing/marking for P and-or Q...LOL. That is not being used for our typical 5 wires OBD2.

All connection tested good, shake proof and firm contacts.

IGNORE P and Q pin connection to OBD2, OBD2 pin #15 is probably R at round connector. I got confused here, hence I started checking

===========

Current test today, Xentry-Ninja connector is the most sensitive to disconnection by me shaking-shaking the connector a bit, car is not moving.
Launch is more forgiving, but again it must be noted that Xentry-Ninja data connection speed is the fastest of all and it can detect disconnection so very fast and it is original MB software,
so I guess this is good for one day when firmware update ever happen, I will make sure my OBD2 port has 100% new LEAR AFK 1.5 female terminals.
I bought 40 of the Lear AFK female terminals. 40/5 = 8 set. Every 2 years if I replace them, I have 16 years to go.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 04-30-2023 at 02:50 AM.
CaliBenzDriver (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Lubing the metal/metal connectors

Surya, I think we almost walked right pass a very interesting Pendora box: contact protection.
I am sure you dealt with metal protection during your marine activities.

Salt + Oxygen create sever environmental conditions. What's the best practice to a lasting : Lube, Conduct, Protect? I wonder what proven products airplane techs use ?

- You know what I was thinking... this DLC Socket would be the perfect place to apply electric contact spray with lubricant properties for metal/metal.

Good specialty connection cleaning products are to be used in our advantage - MB are very picky with their everything undersized, aerospace light. Is DeOx the only serious contender ?

We need to help networks connections be more reliable with lasting protection - What's the best affordable solution, I don't know.

Why not a 100% pure silicon spray (provides oxidation barrier)?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-30-2023 at 04:28 PM.
S-Prihadi (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mighty good idea Cali, thank you.
Surely of all female terminals in my car, DLC/OBD2 for is the most abused one. If it can be slippery but good electrical contact = AWESOME.

I think I will first do experiment with that DeOx-it which I have the red and gold oil type, non aerosol.
The experiment will be 1 amp load with and without deox-it and I will measure voltage drop and with the help of the scope, I can also read contact speed , something like when one
measure relay contact bounce.....
https://www.analog.com/en/design-not...rush%20current.

====

I just realized that this Lear AFK double spring terminal is really-really good for insertion life cycle, to last that long.
If it were Kostal 1.2MLK like those on camshaft sensor and/or common to sensors use, it will not survive this long as it is a single tongue which is also as a spring. 50 still good .....insertion cycle max, as per its datasheet if silver coated one.
This Lear AFK 1.5 double tongue has extra 2 spring-like support if you see in detail.

CaliBenzDriver (04-30-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to update.

The WIS actually showed the female terminal type. It is MT3, which means Micro Timer 3, from TE / Tyco.
Too bad WIS image is so different than actual product, I missed it completely....DAMN OLD EYES !!!!

The link :
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-969022-1.html <<< 3 linked location to buy in USA and very cheap. Gold contact version at DigiKey.
https://www.automotive-connectors.co...se-pieces.html

Note :
Tyco 969023-1 is probably older P/N. Tyco 969022-1 is current.

So, LEAR AFK and Tyco MT3 are 100% the same for installation purpose on the connector housing. I do not know who owns the actual patent.
See the insertion life cycle so sad if not gold plated one and ours I am sure it is the gold plated one.
The main difference between Micro Timer 2 and 3 is the male terminal blade thickness acceptance, MT2 is for 0.6mm and MT3 is 0.8mm. Holy cow, even 0.2mm matters.

Attached tech drawing LEAR AFK below and MT3 in pdf.

I missed the Micro Timer 3 in DeyTrade search engine. They have it too....Dugghhh.
I want the gold contact.

=============

Anyway, today I measured all the electrical load of the scanners.
I want to know if amperage load also matters for the current "bad connection" I am having at OBD2 pin #16, aside from the damage tongue.

No wonder Xentry Ninja is so sensitive to existing poor contact condition of the female terminal at OBD2 pin #16 , it is the highest power sucker.

Attached Files
CaliBenzDriver (05-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So the terminals arrived from Germany. I bought many types for collection

Here again, MB screwed me up with color of wires. Tell me,what is the color for pin 14 and 6 at OBD ? Looks grey to me and not green ...DUGGHHHH

For the extension wire, these are the colors I choose based on wires I have at hand.

The difference of Lear AFK and TE Micro Timer 2 to the one MB uses.
I decided to use LEAR, because I like the tounge angle better.

Good good..... el-cheapo tool work decent.

Look at the old female terminal, its like a hungry fish opening its mouth ..... LOL

New one so nicely tight lip.

The intermediate Deustch connector.

The male & female pin of Deustch vs Lear/MB ones

A pain in the azz to solder, MB datalink cable so short............ intermediate Deustch female connector

The Deustch female and male intermediate connector. So next time replacing the MB-Lear female terminal would be so much easier at my working table.
No more cramp neck needing to work under the steering wheel.

Deustch pin lock method. Lock 1 is the kinda round shape of the terminal base and connector has a cavity to soft lock it and Lock 2 is a plastic insert which will tighten down Lock 1. Very simple and easy to use.

Silencer treatment

Tested the connector with Xentry C4 clone and shake test........ all good.

End of report.

juanmor40 (06-03-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aha, the new OBD body connector came and it seems improved design.
The "hugging" shoulder seems better on the new one.

I think the new design will allow more mating accuracy because it is a full body shape, compared to the old one which is not so full body if compared to FEMALE OBD connector of scanner.
So obvious the wear and tear I am seeing on my old connector is at the male pin entry into the female pin cavity, like a wrong aiming of a sharp shooter....LOL.
Male pin seems to like entry at 9 or 3 o'clock as my old OBD connector damages are all at those areas.

Okey dokey, I shall update when I am done migrating all 5 female terminals into the new OBD connector body.
But not so soon, as I am waiting for the Kostal SLK 2.8 extraction tool from Germany, maybe another 2-3 weeks.
I hope to use the SLK tool, albeit this is a JPT female terminal

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 06-27-2023 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oke, connector replaced with new one.
My cheapo de-pinning tool broke hahahaha.
I made a mistake and had to de-pin Pin 14, see how the little damaged I did.......and the the tool broke....DUGGGHHHH