E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 E550 Tire pressure sensors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 01:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550
2014 E550 Tire pressure sensors?

Hey guys, Ive done some googling but turned up.... confused. I have a fully loaded 2014 E550, Does it have physical tire pressure sensors in the rims or would they be that passive system that through the abs module it detects when ones gone flat because it turns faster per rpm?. There was the menu for tire pressure reset or such (cant remember word for word) on the dash.

I looked at the tire valve stems and generally in my experience if there was sensors they'd be a much thicker stem OR the solid metal stem. where as these ones seem like your typical skinny ones.

I ask as I'll be looking to swap my rims/tires out and I don't want that tire pressure light on lol.
Old 06-13-2023, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Country?
US models do have full TPMS system with cluster display. As posted in parallel thread, that can be different for different country.
MB sensors do have mounting hex at some distance from the rim. Regular valve has a nut just on the rim.

The following users liked this post:
ColonelKlink (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 02:10 PM

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts
2013 E250 CGI (M271 EVO)
Originally Posted by Octan3
Hey guys, Ive done some googling but turned up.... confused. I have a fully loaded 2014 E550, Does it have physical tire pressure sensors in the rims or would they be that passive system that through the abs module it detects when ones gone flat because it turns faster per rpm?. There was the menu for tire pressure reset or such (cant remember word for word) on the dash.

I looked at the tire valve stems and generally in my experience if there was sensors they'd be a much thicker stem OR the solid metal stem. where as these ones seem like your typical skinny ones.

I ask as I'll be looking to swap my rims/tires out and I don't want that tire pressure light on lol.
Two ways of checking:

1) Go through the cluster and find 'TIRE PRESSURE', if it shows you a diagram of your car and the pressure for all 4 individual tires, then you have physical tire pressure sensors in each wheel.

2) Check your VIN and find option 475. If it's present, then your car has physical tire pressure sensors. If you have option 477 instead, then your car can only detect flats based on the difference in wheel speeds and does not have TPMS.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Country?
US models do have full TPMS system with cluster display. As posted in parallel thread, that can be different for different country.
MB sensors do have mounting hex at some distance from the rim. Regular valve has a nut just on the rim.
Originally Posted by MeltdownSpectre
Two ways of checking:

1) Go through the cluster and find 'TIRE PRESSURE', if it shows you a diagram of your car and the pressure for all 4 individual tires, then you have physical tire pressure sensors in each wheel.

2) Check your VIN and find option 475. If it's present, then your car has physical tire pressure sensors. If you have option 477 instead, then your car can only detect flats based on the difference in wheel speeds and does not have TPMS.

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm in Canada, and yes I don't have the metal valve stems for sure. And I'll double check the vin option, websites mis behaving right now (lastvin) , in my cluster if I go to tires it shows run flat indicator active, press ok to restart. Does not show actual pressures.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Seat Alhambra
If you cant read the pressures, you most likely have the indirect system, that use the ABS - sensors to detect difference in rotationspeed between the wheels.

Last year I had a low pressure message, but all tires same pressure, after dinner, when I measured them.
Apered to be a hanging rear brake, had to replace the brakeklaw to solve it, coud not loosen the cilinder anymore.

Then it worked the other way, but still usefull.
The heat of hanging brake, heated up the tire inside trough the rimms, so thebpressure rose, and the deflection lesser, so more rollingcircumference, so lesser rotations a second of that wheel.
This was explained by the ABS sensor system as to low pressure on one or more tires.
So if you have this message and pressures the same, stop at a safe place, and feel the rimms. If at one you burn your fingers, that is the one with the hanging brake.

This indirect system can be more clever.
If it only compares difference per axle, system can give if front or rear tire is low ( or high by the heat). Yust how the software is written.
​​​​​​

Last edited by jadatis; 06-14-2023 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Not a fan of the passive system. My daughters Honda has it and it throws false warnings constantly. Sounds like your Canadian version is definitely passive.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 407 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
OP, its inside your rim, as the picture indicates. Will tell you pressure in each tire in real time in the dash menu too.

For those with the passive (aka something is low and that’s all it will tell you) - don’t forget about the spare tire too (if you have a full size spare). Many times those have a sensor as well. Can’t tell you how many times that tricked me on our previous Toyota suv’s.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by nc211
OP, its inside your rim, as the picture indicates. Will tell you pressure in each tire in real time in the dash menu too.

For those with the passive (aka something is low and that’s all it will tell you) - don’t forget about the spare tire too (if you have a full size spare). Many times those have a sensor as well. Can’t tell you how many times that tricked me on our previous Toyota suv’s.
Not correct. He has a non USA car and it does not have TPMS sensors at all. The system he has calculates rolling speed and warns when one tire is rolling at a rate different from the other three. The spare has no sensor either.
The following users liked this post:
Octan3 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
MB is not installing sensors on spares, at least not on older models.
My 2015 Sprinter 2500 had full size spare, yet no sensor on it. I hate to let good tire deteriorate without use, so had to buy new sensor and add it.
When the sensor is $15, the tire remount cost me $30 and my time to drive to tire shop.
Now my dually Sprinter never had TPMS, so I added them. About $20 on amazon for cheap set.