E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Noise from the rear (I think) in my E220 CDI (w212) 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 CDI 2013, E63 AMG 2016
Noise from the rear (I think) in my E220 CDI (w212) 2014

When I drive my car then sometimes I suddenly hear a noise.
I have searched the forum for similar problems. But without finding anything. If there are threads with similar problems, please let me know.

When I drive my car. Then I sometimes can hear a noise from the rear (I think) of my vehicle. It is a Mercedes-Benz E 220 CDI Sedan (w212) 2wd 2014. The car has 100.000 km on the meter.

I think it's tricky to drive in a way so that I can clearly hear the noise.
The noise just happens sometimes, from time to time.

Of course, when I drive in pot holes it makes some noise. But then the whole car jumps and starts making noise. So when I drive in a pot hole, it is not easy to say what wheel or what caused the noise.

Or what kind of movement that created the noise.

It sounds like a rattle (sometimes) or slow knocking sound, but it is not very loud. The opposite actually, it is a quite low knocking sound. With a low frequency. It is not repeating over and over again. The sound seldom happens once or twice.

I can hear the sound a little from time to time occasionally when I'm driving the car.

I can not find a simple, practical use case to trigger the noise.
It just suddenly happens, suddenly I can hear the quiet low noise.

When I switched to winter tires, I noticed that the summer tires were a bit worn on the inside (I think) of the tire. Obviously the wheel angles need to be adjusted.

When I switched from summer tires to winter tires, I noticed that the summer tires were a bit worn on the inside (I think) of the rear tires. Obviously the wheel angles need to be adjusted.

But before I do that I like to understand and fix the noise. Where does the noise come from? I have checked the wheel bearings but it does not seem to be the wheel bearings.

Do you have any suggestions as to what it can be?
How should I be able to drive in a way that I can hear the noise to find the problem?
How can I fix the problem?

Last edited by Whomee; 01-27-2024 at 09:20 AM. Reason: I was not ready with the post, I posted by accident.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:05 AM

Received 194 Likes on 112 Posts
2011 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
Imo could be many things related to the rear suspension or brakes if you say the sound is localized to the rear. I would try to get the vehicle on a car lift and start by checking the control arms, bushings, shocks, springs, subframe and exhaust hangers. The subframe is a known issue in these vehicles (the warranty on subframe was extended by MB for 20 years recently) as they are prone to rust out especially if there is heavy use of salt during the winter to clear the snow on the roads. If you're not mechanically inclined and would more than likely bring the vehicle into a garage to get repaired, then the mechanic would take the vehicle out for a test drive to replicate the sound and track down the origins.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,052 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
renewal campaign

Change your suspension wear parts:
  • lower control arms
  • ball joints
  • stabilizer links
  • (shock absorbers)
  • (stabilizer bar/bushings)
  • (wheel bearings)

Usually front end components age faster than the rear ones.

The commonality is rubber parts age into chewing-gum: everything must go! Start with most stressed parts.
✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 01-28-2024 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Any number of things but also check the rear brakes and make sure the retaining clips are installed. Had a knock sound that was only audible when going over bumps with a wall to reverberate the sound back at me. When I did my brakes found right rear was missing. Got one installed and the noise went away. Well that noise anyways.