E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Nav questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Nav questions

Been through the manual and can't seem to figure out the answers to the following:

Is there a way to show the line by line driving directions to a destination set into guidance?

In the Nav screen, there is a symbol showing two cars with a mileage noted (1 or several miles). No idea what this means.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Originally Posted by Imanone
Been through the manual and can't seem to figure out the answers to the following:

Is there a way to show the line by line driving directions to a destination set into guidance?

In the Nav screen, there is a symbol showing two cars with a mileage noted (1 or several miles). No idea what this means.

Thanks
You're not the first to ask about detailed route information but unfortunately it's not present on the new COMAND. The nav it's easily the weakest part of the car and such a missed opportunity to take advantage of that beautiful screen.

The car symbol is traffic and it shows delay in minutes (not miles) on the chosen route. That part of screen usually shows remaining distance and time. When the car symbols pop up, it means slow traffic is on the route and tells you ths expected delay in minutes. If you've set dynamic routing in the options it will try to reroute you to minimise the delay though whilst it pops up asking if you want to accept the change, telling you the additional distance and time saved by accepting it, it doesn't show you where the detour goes which is annoying. Like i said, missed opportunity for a great system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Proeliator2001:
Diesel Benz (04-22-2017), Imanone (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
E300
Nav questions

I second what was said above. When I first started driving the car, I couldn't believe there was no way to see the route listing-- thought it had to be there if only I could find it. I called Mercedes customer service, spoke to my salesman, posted on this board and no one could help. It's just not there. Even my $80 Tom Tom lets you see a route listing. I can't imagine how they decided this isn't worth having. That issue and the fact that you have to keep your finger on the seat adjustment button instead of pressing it once or having it respond to your key (which sometimes means standing outside in the rain and cold because my wife has the seat so far forward that I can't get in the car) are really stupid design flaws. I keep hoping they will have a software update for the nav issue. If anyone is on the Mercedes consumer panel or has some other way to bring this issue to their attention you would be doing all owners a favor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tiburonsteve:
Imanone (04-23-2017), ua549 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 PM

E300
Nav questions-one more thing

I meant to also say that, after giving up on a route listing in the Mercedes nav, I thought that CarPlay was sure to have this feature and would be a workaround. But I can't find it in CarPlay either!
The following users liked this post:
Forty9 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes E400 wagon (formerly 1995 Honda Accord EX sedan)
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve
I meant to also say that, after giving up on a route listing in the Mercedes nav, I thought that CarPlay was sure to have this feature and would be a workaround. But I can't find it in CarPlay either!
Have you tried using the Google Maps app on an iPhone connected through Apple CarPlay, or does that not work either?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 PM

E300
Nav questions

Not sure if you can use Google maps with car play on the W213. Anyone know the answer and, if it's a yes, how to do this?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
You're not the first to ask about detailed route information but unfortunately it's not present on the new COMAND. The nav it's easily the weakest part of the car and such a missed opportunity to take advantage of that beautiful screen.

The car symbol is traffic and it shows delay in minutes (not miles) on the chosen route. That part of screen usually shows remaining distance and time. When the car symbols pop up, it means slow traffic is on the route and tells you ths expected delay in minutes. If you've set dynamic routing in the options it will try to reroute you to minimise the delay though whilst it pops up asking if you want to accept the change, telling you the additional distance and time saved by accepting it, it doesn't show you where the detour goes which is annoying. Like i said, missed opportunity for a great system.
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Disappointing info, but on the positive side, it's much easier at least to begin guidance than in my new Acura MDX or my wife's BMW 535. The MDX speech recognition is awful and the BMW is a pain to initiate guidance.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 AM

I second what was said above. When I first started driving the car, I couldn't believe there was no way to see the route listing-- thought it had to be there if only I could find it. I called Mercedes customer service, spoke to my salesman, posted on this board and no one could help. It's just not there. Even my $80 Tom Tom lets you see a route listing. I can't imagine how they decided this isn't worth having. That issue and the fact that you have to keep your finger on the seat adjustment button instead of pressing it once or having it respond to your key (which sometimes means standing outside in the rain and cold because my wife has the seat so far forward that I can't get in the car) are really stupid design flaws. I keep hoping they will have a software update for the nav issue. If anyone is on the Mercedes consumer panel or has some other way to bring this issue to their attention you would be doing all owners a favor.
Agree with you regarding the seat button. Pretty bizarre, but even more bizarre in my opinion is the fact that the key fobs don't automatically set your parameters to each driver like our MDX and BMW. When you get near the car, all settings are switched to the individual's specific fob. No manual setting of your seats and mirrors like the E300. At this point, the car has about 3000 miles and while I was not happy that my wife bought this 4 cyl car, I have been pleasantly surprised with how it rides and handles despite the 4 cyl. My chief complaints are the fobs, lack of line-by-line directions (if requested), lack of a hard drive and no cigarette lighter in the front console to hook up my radar detector. In the whole scheme of things, small issues that are more annoying than troubling, if that makes sense.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
Not sure if you can use Google maps with car play on the W213. Anyone know the answer and, if it's a yes, how to do this?
CarPlay does not support Google Maps.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 PM

E300
Has anyone used an Android phone to navigate on the W213? I'm wondering if the Android system gives a route list and whether it provides more than half a mile warning before turns and exits. I was on the freeway today using the MB navigation. At 65 mph it gave me half a mile warning of when to exit--about 25 seconds. If you're in the far left lane of a freeway it just doesn't work.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
using the MB navigation. At 65 mph it gave me half a mile warning of when to exit--about 25 seconds. If you're in the far left lane of a freeway it just doesn't work.
Sheesh...Several others have posted this exact same complaint. I have yet to use MB's nav but find this alarming. This is a pretty mature technology so no excuse not to get it right.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Wake me when they build in the feature to let me put waze or google maps on my nav screen. Maps are constantly updated, real time traffic, and features added routinely. Tesla got this part right.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by thefisch
Wake me when they build in the feature to let me put waze or google maps on my nav screen. Maps are constantly updated, real time traffic, and features added routinely. Tesla got this part right.
Android Auto can run Google Maps.
The following users liked this post:
thefisch (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE350
Has anyone used an Android phone to navigate on the W213? I'm wondering if the Android system gives a route list and whether it provides more than half a mile warning before turns and exits. I was on the freeway today using the MB navigation. At 65 mph it gave me half a mile warning of when to exit--about 25 seconds. If you're in the far left lane of a freeway it just doesn't work.

This is why with any customer satisfaction survey I have answered about this car, I have stated that the nav operating system is not only totally unacceptable, but is also a safety hazard. These late notifications can cause accidents as drivers try at the last second to try to make their exits.

I travel a lot and to me the nav is the most important accessory on a vehicle. The big nav screen is gorgeous but is actually wasted space since it gives so little information.

This is my first MB and overall, I love the car. But unless they change the nav operating system, it will be my last MB.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by ua549
Android Auto can run Google Maps.
Will have to check that out. Hopefully it gives you the same functionality you get from just using your phone.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
It doesn't seem the arrow of your location on the maps doesn't really point to where you really are. It's 'behind' quite a bit. It does take some getting used to.