Differences between Audio 20 small, Audio 20 large and COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213
Differences between Audio 20 small, Audio 20 large and COMAND

Hi,

I'm about to place an order for a W213 E-Class T-Model but couldn't find any clear specs on the infotainment systems. The 3 options are:
Audio 20 : basic option, no smartphone integration
Audio 20 with a big screen : has Carplay/Androd Auto, and can run Garmin Map Pilot from an SD card. In the order sheet also referred to as Media Display.
COMAND : expensive and has a whole bunch of online stuff I don't want

I wanted a big screen for the 360 cameras and good smartphone integration because I have up to date navigation there anyways.

The parameters I'd be interested in:
1) what operating system is running in these devices? COMAND must be NTG5.<something> ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comand...AND-APS_NTG5.0 ), but what about Audio 20 and the large Audio 20? Are they both also NTG?

2) do they have Mirrorlink installed hidden in some service menu? There are some W213 mirrorlink videos on youtube but it is not clear if that's some hack or the factory OS.

3) the dealer says the large Audio 20 and COMAND have the same performance for the 360 camera and cellphone integration. Is there anyone that has experience with both? Yes I know that the COMAND navigation is better but I'm not interested in that.

Many Thanks
Benedek

Last edited by benedekjotu; 01-27-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
I can't help you with most of your questions but I will say that unless you wanted the wide-screen cockpit (all digital display) or Drive Pilot/traffic sign recognition then COMAND is a waste of money. Looks nice but does nothing (for me at least) that the basic Garmin/smaller screens can't do. I've also found the Garmin to be quicker on loan cars than COMAND is in mine (though maybe later software is better these days).
Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 AM

E Class S213
Does the Audio 20 with the large screen allow Android Auto? I think it does Carplay and Mirror link but not Android Auto play that is only available on COMAND online.

In the UK now all W213 come with the large media screen but personally I don't like the widescreen cockpit and prefer traditional analogue dials - I came to the conclusion the extra £1400 in the UK for COMAND online wasn't a good deal but I would pay extra for Audi 20 with the larger screen
Old 01-27-2018, 01:54 PM

W213
Originally Posted by HappyJack
Does the Audio 20 with the large screen allow Android Auto? I think it does Carplay and Mirror link but not Android Auto play that is only available on COMAND online.
On paper it should. On the order the entry is "17U Smartphone Integration (Android Auto)". This needs either the COMAND or the "506 Audio 20 with larger screen" option. With the latter it also comes a "868 Media Display" entry.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM

E Class S213
Originally Posted by benedekjotu
On paper it should. On the order the entry is "17U Smartphone Integration (Android Auto)". This needs either the COMAND or the "506 Audio 20 with larger screen" option. With the latter it also comes a "868 Media Display" entry.
Excellent if it does
Old 11-01-2018, 01:16 PM

C200

In the UK now all W213 come with the large media screen but personally I don't like the widescreen cockpit and prefer traditional analogue dials - I came to the conclusion the extra £1400 in the UK for COMAND online wasn't a good deal but I would pay extra for Audi 20 with the larger screen
Does your UK spec car without COMMAND have smartphone integration as standard?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM

E Class S213
Originally Posted by steparr
Does your UK spec car without COMMAND have smartphone integration as standard?
It does now have Android Auto and Apple Carplay but it took the dealer 4 months to get it working.

Mirrorlink is not supported on my car

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.
Having reviewed your most recent email., I can confirm that after investigating your enquiry with the relevant department I have been advised that Mirrorlink is not software that we currently support, therefore I am unable to advise any further in regards to what software version would be applicable.
Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.
So we can be as responsive as possible, be so kind as to approve your contact details at https://www.mbcac.net/go/Customer/Cu...yCustomer.aspx
Yours sincerely
Ben Scatterty
Customer Service UK

Old 11-01-2018, 02:21 PM

C200
It does now have Android Auto and Apple Carplay but it took the dealer 4 months to get it working.
Do you mind if I ask how they got it working? Should it have worked with standard equipment?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM

E Class S213
They had to do a firmware update - in fact two!

Now that is a a bit of a leading question! I think that smartphone integration / Mercedes link works with Apple Carplay but not Android Auto as standard when I got my car but this is supposition. I just kicked off with them to be honest as there issues with Satnav (not updating online) as well. I think now that Smartphone integration is only available with COMAND online.

The dealers didn't have a clue and all in all it took 7 months to get the issue with the Satnav sorted and I had to complain to the dealer GM.

Great car though to be honest
Old 11-12-2020, 05:39 AM

e220
Hi Guys,

Im looking for a CarPlay activator for my w213 2018 E220 (Widescreen analogue dial).

Any Suggestions?