E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Galaxy S9 Plus broke Android Auto / Waze

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E-300 Sport
Angry Galaxy S9 Plus broke Android Auto / Waze

Warning to those of you that value Waze and Android Auto...
I have been trying to get Android Auto to stay running for more than 10 minutes for 2 days now with my just received Galaxy S9 Plus. It's just really broken.

I *did* get bluetooth media streaming on- by going to media, bluetooth (or select phone icon), and allowing media access. But still no android auto, no waze... no way I'd get this phone until more things that used to work work.

My S8 worked great. T-mobile says it's Oreo- the new Android version that ships with the S9. Just FYI. John

Last edited by jsclarke; 03-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Any issues especially with new phone models, are going to be caused by the phone or the phone's software. The vehicle very rarely would ever have an update for such issues pertaining to different phone models.. Basically yes it sucks, but the phone software will have to be updated to work properly with the car.. Just keep an eye out for any software updates on the phone and try again once there is an update.
The following users liked this post:
jsclarke (03-16-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
For grins, try going into Settings > Applications > Android Auto > Storage, and delete all of Android Auto's stored data.

I used to have to do similar with MercedesMe every time I wanted to use it and not have it crash.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM

2017 E-300 Sport
Thank you. Something else to try. However, I uninstalled Android Auto and re-installed- so perhaps App data was deleted? Maybe / maybe not.
This does seem to be related to our cars- because using the same phone, the same cable- I had no issues in our '18 Audi Q5 in two trips. Worked flawlessly twice. Now I'm trying a cable recommended by the moderators at Android Auto product forum on googles site. John
Old 03-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Thinking out loud here:

When troubleshooting phones, I usually recommend using the cable that came with the phone itself. Once troubleshooting's done, you can go back to using whatever your favorite cable is.

Also, try lowering the screen resolution on the S9. (Settings > Display > Screen Resolution). Here's my theory: Android Auto is a second screen to the phone. Perhaps it's already maxed out trying to run the internal high-resolution screen, let alone a second one... or perhaps the resolution of Android Auto is too far away from what the phone natively runs at.

I have had trouble with my Note 4 doing Android Auto in my car. No problem with getting it to connect & such, but the lag on the phone's side is terrible, and I've used this phone in multiple rental cars over the years without issue. I've just attributed it to having an older phone, but it could possibly be something to do with the car. My E's screen is much higher resolution than any other car stereo my phone's been connected to previously.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 PM

2017 E-300 Sport
Here is the error that usually comes up on the phone. The google guys said something about Android Auto waiting for a response from the car and not getting one... thanks again bunny good ideas. John

Old 03-23-2018, 04:25 PM

One other thing to try: Doing a factory reset on COMAND. System > Reset. If you want, you can back up your preferences first to a USB stick and reload them after it resets.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but it's worth a try.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 EQE 500
@jsclarke Did you ever resolve the issue? I was running a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on my 2019 E450 and it worked fine for about 8 months, but now crashes on a regular basis. Others in another thread suggested that updating COMAND (in my case to 4.80).will fix the problem. Trying to get the dealer to look at it today
Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM

2017 E-300 Sport
Originally Posted by rrb01
@jsclarke Did you ever resolve the issue? I was running a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on my 2019 E450 and it worked fine for about 8 months, but now crashes on a regular basis. Others in another thread suggested that updating COMAND (in my case to 4.80).will fix the problem. Trying to get the dealer to look at it today
I just got an iPhone Xs, and while not perfect it's more reliable than Android Auto ever was. Apple CarPlay was just updated, and it just seems like a more mature (and stable) product. And an auto manufacturer is far more likely to address problems with iOS devices than anything else, simply because there are so many out there. (my guess). John