Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay? >

Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay?

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay?

 
Old 06-02-2018, 10:28 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Sunrose305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 189
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay?

When I place my iPhone X on the wireless charging pad in the console of my E300 it activates the Apple Pay feature showing an image of my credit card and says "double-click to pay." No idea why. Has anyone else had this happen? Oh...and it also charges the phone.
Sunrose305 is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,136
Liked 228 Times in 197 Posts
.
Wireless charging has nothing to do with Apple Pay. It is the NFC signal emanating from the console lid. There are several threads about this issue. Do a search.
ua549 is offline  
The following users liked this post: ua549
Sunrose305 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 25
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
2017 MB E300
The iPhone has a NFC chip in it but Apple chooses to use that for it Apple Pay which is why you are seeing it pop up every time it gets near the signal.
xrayted is offline  
Old 06-03-2018, 04:50 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: 78 degrees North
Posts: 226
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
2018 E63S
Just switch off NFC in the car and Apple Pay will not start again.
78degrees is offline  
Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 160
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
What's the use of NFC in the car anyway?
bellavance is offline  
Old 06-06-2018, 08:49 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,136
Liked 228 Times in 197 Posts
.
Originally Posted by bellavance View Post
What's the use of NFC in the car anyway?
NFC is used for connecting with a digital device being used as a key.
ua549 is offline  
Old 06-06-2018, 08:59 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 160
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
Digital Device being used as a Key.

Are such devices presently available?

Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
NFC is used for connecting with a digital device being used as a key.
bellavance is offline  
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 AM
  #8  
Member
 
LogicalApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 144
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
NFC can be used to make bluetooth pairing really easy be removing the "code sharing" step where you need to confirm that both devices are showing the same code. You can get a quick idea from the quick summary from Bose for their wireless headphones. Apple currently doesn't support this and only uses NFC for Apple Pay so it opens Apple Pay whenever it sees NFC.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/a...-nfc-qc35.html
LogicalApex is offline  
Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,136
Liked 228 Times in 197 Posts
.
Originally Posted by bellavance View Post
Are such devices presently available?
The device can be a smartphone or a tablet. Currently the "key" service is not available for US E Class models.
That said NFC is used to connect a smartphone to the entertainment system when the phone is placed on the charging pad.
During this year's CES, Mercedes-Benz announced that its new E-Class is enabled with capacitive aerial coupling. By simply placing the device on the charging area on the front part of the center console, the smartphone connects to the multimedia system via NFC. Moreover, while using NFC, the customer's smartphone becomes the digital vehicle key with which the car can be locked and unlocked as well as started.
ua549 is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 09:05 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Can anyone tell me where the setting to turn off NFC is in Comand settings?
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 08:57 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,136
Liked 228 Times in 197 Posts
.
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Can anyone tell me where the setting to turn off NFC is in Comand settings?
Go to System/Connectivity menu. Untick the NFC box.
ua549 is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:24 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
Go to System/Connectivity menu. Untick the NFC box.
Thanks. I'll give that a try later.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 10:38 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Thanks. I'll give that a try later.
I just went to the garage and turned off the NFC chip in my car. Maybe it's not a big deal, but now when I place my iPhone in the charging cradle it just starts charging and for whatever reason, Car Play started faster as well!
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Scott in H-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 297
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55
Is CarPlay wireless? My wife's SLC has to be plugged in via cable to use CarPlay otherwise it's just bluetooth streaming.
Scott in H-town is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 10:42 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town View Post
Is CarPlay wireless? My wife's SLC has to be plugged in via cable to use CarPlay otherwise it's just bluetooth streaming.
Unfortunately, Car Play is not wireless. I don't think there are many if any in the US that are. There's a USB plug next to the charging pad, specifically to connect the iPhone, via USB and Lightning Jack (you have to provide the chord) to activate Car Play.
rbrylaw is offline  
The following users liked this post: rbrylaw
Scott in H-town (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Scott in H-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 297
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Unfortunately, Car Play is not wireless. I don't think there are many if any in the US that are. There's a USB plug next to the charging pad, specifically to connect the iPhone, via USB and Lightning Jack (you have to provide the chord) to activate Car Play.
Ok. I had read that some BMW's have it wireless now. If it's connected via wire, then the charging pad is redundant, right?

Scott in H-town is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town View Post
Ok. I had read that some BMW's have it wireless now. If it's connected via wire, then the charging pad is redundant, right?
I'll have to check out whether the charging pad is redundant or not. Either way, it's nice to have a specific cubby to keep the phone in while driving. TBH, I don't really need my phone to charge while driving. My phone is charged at night while I sleep and the battery lasts me all day, often into two full days on a single charge.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,136
Liked 228 Times in 197 Posts
.
You must not use you iPhone very much. The most optimistic specs say 11.5 hours of video watching. Using the phone for voice and data consumes much more power. My sister-in-law has an iPhone X and has to charge it twice a day.
ua549 is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 02:01 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
You must not use you iPhone very much. The most optimistic specs say 11.5 hours of video watching. Using the phone for voice and data consumes much more power. My sister-in-law has an iPhone X and has to charge it twice a day.
I use my phone all day. I don't stream video much, but I make and receive lots of calls for work and I stream Pandora a lot. Still, my battery lasts a loooooong time.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 PM
  #20  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2007 Subaru Legacy
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town View Post
Ok. I had read that some BMW's have it wireless now. If it's connected via wire, then the charging pad is redundant, right?
Every MINI from 2018 forward has wireless CarPlay, and I believe the new 5-series does as well. I was hoping Mercedes would employ this as well.
cte21 is offline  
The following users liked this post: cte21
Scott in H-town (08-06-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town View Post
Ok. I had read that some BMW's have it wireless now. If it's connected via wire, then the charging pad is redundant, right?
Hey Scott,

I did look last night to see if the phone is plugged in and connected to Apple Car Play, if the phone is charging even if not on the charging pad and it actually is. So yes, plugged in for Apple Car Play, the charging mat is redundant.
rbrylaw is offline  
The following users liked this post: rbrylaw
Scott in H-town (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Scott in H-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 297
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Hey Scott,

I did look last night to see if the phone is plugged in and connected to Apple Car Play, if the phone is charging even if not on the charging pad and it actually is. So yes, plugged in for Apple Car Play, the charging mat is redundant.
That was my guess. Thank you for confirming!
What's nice is, you could actually charge your phone and another phone at the same time fairly easily.
Scott in H-town is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town View Post
That was my guess. Thank you for confirming!
What's nice is, you could actually charge your phone and another phone at the same time fairly easily.
Yes, you could actually charge up to 4 phones at the same time.

The charging mat
The USB for Apple Car Play
Two USB ports in the center console

And of course with an adapter, there is a 12v post in the back for your passengers, but you'd need a 12v to USB converter in there, which is easy enough to get.

Ps: what's the status on the E300 you're considering?
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:30 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Scott in H-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 297
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Yes, you could actually charge up to 4 phones at the same time.

The charging mat
The USB for Apple Car Play
Two USB ports in the center console

And of course with an adapter, there is a 12v post in the back for your passengers, but you'd need a 12v to USB converter in there, which is easy enough to get.

Ps: what's the status on the E300 you're considering?
True!

As for me, I'm still looking. There's the blue one, but I found a 2018 (silver) with 6k miles for close to same price. It only lacks the panoramic roof and isn't my first choice in color, but silver never looks dirty, so there's that...
Then, my ADHD has me also looking at a E400 Coupe ... much more expensive, but WOW.
Scott in H-town is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,328
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town View Post
True!

As for me, I'm still looking. There's the blue one, but I found a 2018 (silver) with 6k miles for close to same price. It only lacks the panoramic roof and isn't my first choice in color, but silver never looks dirty, so there's that...
Then, my ADHD has me also looking at a E400 Coupe ... much more expensive, but WOW.
I had a 2012 E350 Coupe for a couple years. It was nice, but the lack of 4 doors ultimately became a nuisance. I marvel at how they remove 2 doors and charge more for what is essentially the same car! I like the Panoramic Rood, but TBT, I don't open sunroofs all that often, so I'm not sure it would be that important an option to me. My new E400 did come with one however.

Happy E hunting!

Last edited by rbrylaw; 08-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: