E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Replacement Wiring and Engine Harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w213 E300
Replacement Wiring and Engine Harness

Have had a nightmare of an experience last 5 weeks!!! Battery died car got towed to dealer when it wouldn't jump on Sept 27.... Dealer took 2 weeks to tell me call insurance you have water damage to your wiring and electrical harnesses...Insurance took 2 weeks to agree to cover me for over $13,000 in damages to a 2017 E300... Dealer claimed they couldn't order anything until insurance cut a check, they pulled my right to a loaner car today...Saying even though its a $13,000 job its insurance money and not mine so I have no right to a loaner... Claim they will not know until Monday the time frame for the parts but are guessing, 2 weeks to arrive in the US and another 2 weeks to replace the parts... Anyone know if the engine and wiring harness is a stock part in Germany? A friend with a C class said they had to make his from scratch and its about a 3 month turnaround!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
What was the cause of the water damage? Will that be rectified as a part of the repair? Was it not a warranty concern?
Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by teksurv
What was the cause of the water damage? Will that be rectified as a part of the repair? Was it not a warranty concern?
x2 why did your warranty not cover this?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM

w213 E300
Dealer and Insurance both determined it was the negligence of a professional car audio shop that installed a radar detection system and never properly secured the grommet back in place. Dealer let me haver a loaner car up until the point insurance issued a check. It didn't matter it was my third car from them or that I have another coming off lease next month response was they never issue a loaner for insurance work. While I wasn't thrilled and thought they could help more considering the cost of the repairs, I understand thats the policy. However the whole we have no idea if and when the part is available could be 3 weeks or 2 months was really weird.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
I'm guessing time is a factor, but is the audio shop not responsible in some way? In any case, for a proper repair the dealer may remove what was installed for the radar equipment. As for the loaner, that is difficult. If it was warranty work, they may have been able to justify it. That said if you are a repeat customer and possibly soon to be again, I'd think they work something out with you.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:16 PM

w213 E300
It's my primary car so time is certainly a factor. Insurance indicated they will seek a settlement with the Audio shops insurance/shop.I am guessing the dealer knows truly how long this is going to take and have no desire to tie up a loaner for 2 months.Still I feel like my only option is to use another dealer for my up coming lease.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Doesn't your insurance cover a rental replacement while your car is being repaired? My State Farm policy does.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:26 AM

e300
One more question about the installation of the radar.

How did the shop impact the harness?

And what was the reason why they touched the harness?

Lastly, if they had to modify the harness, why didn’t they seal it or encase it before they finished their job?
Old 11-04-2018, 06:59 PM

w213 E300
No, I don't have rental coverage for a comprehensive claim... they didn't touch the harness they failed to properly seal the hole in the firewall for the radar detector wires running from the engine bay into the car causing water to slowly make its way inside the car...
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 PM

e300
I guess you should be lucky your insurance will cover this. I bet your insurance wasn’t happy finding out they just lost 13k. I’d rather pay the deductible, loaner and tow then 13k.

How big was the hole they left open? Did the grommet fall out or something?

Im just not getting how that much water got inside your car to short it out. And wires are insulated, so what got shorted out?
Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 AM

w213 E300
It was big, they cut the grommet out completely. Wiring harness is in the footwell, all the water ran down into it causing the connectors to corrode
Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 AM

e300
Man sorry to hear that. Hopefully all goes well and you can put this behind.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Are you sure this is the cause?

We have had two cases where the lower drain rubber for the AC evaporator was dislocated from factory causing major water damage.
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 07:06 PM

w213 E300
I can only go by what Mercedes Benz and my insurance company ruled, they photographed the missing grommet extensively. Dealer just told me today the part needs to be made in Germany and is slated for production the 2nd week in January 2019!!! I placed a call to corporate in Georgia to see if they could expedite it or work on a loaner car since it is a very long delay... Have to wait and see...
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by SCV76
Dealer and Insurance both determined it was the negligence of a professional car audio shop that installed a radar detection system and never properly secured the grommet back in place. Dealer let me haver a loaner car up until the point insurance issued a check. It didn't matter it was my third car from them or that I have another coming off lease next month response was they never issue a loaner for insurance work. While I wasn't thrilled and thought they could help more considering the cost of the repairs, I understand thats the policy. However the whole we have no idea if and when the part is available could be 3 weeks or 2 months was really weird.
I can’t see them giving a loaner indefinitely if it was a warranty issue. But since the problem was caused by an after market dealer, it’s not their problem and I don’t blame them. There is such a thing as good will. Obviously they don’t feel it’s worth it to give you a loaner for months. That’s why I have a hard time doing anything that could jeopardize the warranty while the car is still under warranty.Good move going through the insurance.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E43 AMG
Originally Posted by SCV76
Have had a nightmare of an experience last 5 weeks!!! Battery died car got towed to dealer when it wouldn't jump on Sept 27.... Dealer took 2 weeks to tell me call insurance you have water damage to your wiring and electrical harnesses...Insurance took 2 weeks to agree to cover me for over $13,000 in damages to a 2017 E300... Dealer claimed they couldn't order anything until insurance cut a check, they pulled my right to a loaner car today...Saying even though its a $13,000 job its insurance money and not mine so I have no right to a loaner... Claim they will not know until Monday the time frame for the parts but are guessing, 2 weeks to arrive in the US and another 2 weeks to replace the parts... Anyone know if the engine and wiring harness is a stock part in Germany? A friend with a C class said they had to make his from scratch and its about a 3 month turnaround!!!
Hey bro, same exact thing happened to me. 2017 E43, radar detector install before I bought the car (dealer sold it with it on) for 18k miles. The dealer also had it listed CPO, then apparently decided to not certify it and remove the CPO due to the radar. Dealer is telling me it isn't their issue, and the ultimate replacing of the wiring pin connectors would need a harness. The car is fine, didn't get to ECU but issues could come later on..

How did you end up on this? Really curious, I am in the same exact situation right now unfortunately.