Who was first ? - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Who was first ?

 
Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350
Who was first ?

I just turned in my 2016 e400 coupe and took home a 2018 e300 sedan. It is definitely slower but switching the drive mode to sport makes a huge difference. This is the first Benz I have had with P3, love the autonomous driving so far. My question, my ex had a Volvo XC90 and I noticed a lot of the functions ( radar based cruise control, auto steer, speed limit sign detection ) are very similar. Did Volvo copy Mercedes or did Mercedes copy Volvo ?
NickCats is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,419
Thanked 55 Times in 46 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
I do not think these radar based cruise control are proprietary. Practically all manufacturers offer a similar version. It could be developed by an outside firm and sold to many car manufacturers.
petee1997 is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:23 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lexus LS600hL
I owned a 2008 Lexus LS600hL that had a laser based active cruise control. It worked great, except it cut out during heavy downpours.

HBH
Helmar is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 AM
  #4  
Member
 
bytemaster0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
1995 E300 Diesel, 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2015 E250 BlueTEC 4MATIC, 2019 E300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NickCats View Post
I just turned in my 2016 e400 coupe and took home a 2018 e300 sedan. It is definitely slower but switching the drive mode to sport makes a huge difference. This is the first Benz I have had with P3, love the autonomous driving so far. My question, my ex had a Volvo XC90 and I noticed a lot of the functions ( radar based cruise control, auto steer, speed limit sign detection ) are very similar. Did Volvo copy Mercedes or did Mercedes copy Volvo ?
Mercedes-Benz offered the first version of what has become Drive Pilot in the late 1990s. Distronic was introduced on the W220 S-class in 1999. They had been prototyping radar-based systems for years before then. So, MB has been developing this system for a very long time.

As a side note, Distronic was not available on the E-class until the mid-2000s, and was a rare option. The progress they've made with millimeter-wave RADAR is pretty incredible. It's reliable, safe, intuitive, and feels quite natural.

Last edited by bytemaster0; 02-12-2019 at 01:19 AM.
bytemaster0 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 35
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2019 E200 sedan
Mercedes was probably first, think s class from the 90s had radar cruise control. Mercedes s class has often been said to be the benchmark of what a general car would be optioned with a decade later.
But alot of the hardware and software might be shared, companies like autoliv makes this tech and license it to other companies
mercedes.fan is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 728
Thanked 60 Times in 53 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
I don't know who made it first. All I know that the Distronic for 2019 is a must have option. It works fantastically well, yet makes sure you're at least paying attention....as all auto drive systems should.

The lane changing mode is equally effective, as well as a great safety feature.
rustybear3 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,206
Thanked 343 Times in 306 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by bytemaster0 View Post
Mercedes-Benz offered the first version of what has become Drive Pilot in the late 1990s. Distronic was introduced on the W220 S-class in 1999. They had been prototyping radar-based systems for years before then. So, MB has been developing this system for a very long time.

As a side note, Distronic was not available on the E-class until the mid-2000s, and was a rare option. The progress they've made with millimeter-wave RADAR is pretty incredible. It's reliable, safe, intuitive, and feels quite natural.
I believe it was available on the W211 when they came out in 2003. But it was a very rare option, very few cars had it. Same with the W212, not as rare, but still not seen often.
cetialpha5 is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM
  #8  
Member
 
bytemaster0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
1995 E300 Diesel, 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2015 E250 BlueTEC 4MATIC, 2019 E300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
I believe it was available on the W211 when they came out in 2003. But it was a very rare option, very few cars had it. Same with the W212, not as rare, but still not seen often.
Quite right, I've only seen one W211 with Distronic lately, and it was an E55 AMG. W212 had it much more often, by comparison.
bytemaster0 is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:30 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BACnMercedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the southeast
Posts: 1,036
Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
GLE400 and a '18 M550i (19 E63s expected mid April)
Originally Posted by Helmar View Post
It worked great, except it cut out during heavy downpours.

HBH
Every MB I've owned did not work in medium to heavy rain. But my current crappy BMW has never even flashed a warning in the rain. I guess that's one thing BMW got right.
BACnMercedes is online now  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lexus LS600hL
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes View Post
But my current crappy BMW has never even flashed a warning in the rain.
Iíve got a BMW 2016 750. The active cruise cuts out in heave rain.

Actually, Iíve tied it to the windshield wiper speed,

If the wiper speed is at max, the cruise control cuts out after a few seconds.

If the wiper speed is less than max, no problem.

I wonder if the Mercedes is similar?

HBH
Helmar is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 120
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by Helmar View Post

Iíve got a BMW 2016 750. The active cruise cuts out in heave rain.

Actually, Iíve tied it to the windshield wiper speed,

If the wiper speed is at max, the cruise control cuts out after a few seconds.

If the wiper speed is less than max, no problem.

I wonder if the Mercedes is similar?

HBH
I would think all makes/model as are the same because radar bounces off heavy rain and as a safety feature it cuts out because it cannot define the vehicle in front properly
JDPEClassUK is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 PM
  #12  
Member
 
bytemaster0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
1995 E300 Diesel, 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2015 E250 BlueTEC 4MATIC, 2019 E300 4MATIC
The rain causes RADAR reflections. If the rain is heavy enough, the system registers too much noise, not enough usable signal. Because MB's systems use three RADAR units up front, it's a better, safer system, but can have trouble in some edge cases. On early Distronic models (early non-Plus versions), moderate rain or spray could easily cause it to shut off. However, on Plus and Drive Pilot versions, I've only had it cut out rarely, even in heavy precipitation on the highway.
bytemaster0 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who was first ?


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: