E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Mechanical key replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
E450 Coupe
Mechanical key replacement cost?

A couple of weeks ago I lost the mechanical key from a fob I had given to a hotel valet.

I'd pretty much given up on finding it, and began investigating how to replace it. My local MB dealer (not where I bought the car) said I'd need to replace the whole key and have it programmed; cost: $740.

I then talked to a locksmith who specializes in car keys. He didn't have the blank for my key, but said if I could bring him the right blank plus the mechanical key from my other fob, he could cut a replacement for $35.

When I started searching online, I found several MB mechanical key blanks, but nothing exactly like mine. My search was interrupted when the hotel phoned to say they'd found the missing key. They've sent it to me, and all's well again.

Now, mainly out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the dealer's whole-key line was bull****. Anyone here had a similar experience? Are there blanks to be found for 2019 mechanical keys? Is there some legitimate reason why MB would need to replace the whole key rather than simply cut a new mechanical key coded to match my VIN?
Old 02-27-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
IMO the key is quite similar to other MB keys. The differentiating aspect is that it fits into the fob housing. That said, most keys also contain a chip that must be coded. In the past I have replicated keys that fit the lock, but don't work because of the chip.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM

E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by ua549
IMO the key is quite similar to other MB keys. The differentiating aspect is that it fits into the fob housing. That said, most keys also contain a chip that must be coded. In the past I have replicated keys that fit the lock, but don't work because of the chip.
Thanks us549. Not sure I understand. Are you saying there's a chip inside the mechanical key? It looks too small to house a chip. And what would it do? The fob works fine without the mechanical key. Only thing the fob won't do is open the glove box, or manually open the car if necessary. I mean, it's called a "mechanical" key for a reason, no? The reason being it has no electronic function.

After losing the mechanical key, I pulled the mechanical key from my other fob and inserted it in the fob missing a mechanical. It fit and everything worked as it should. So I guess I'm not understanding why a locksmith or MB couldn't inexpensively cut a fully functioning mechanical key that would fit the fob and open the glove box (or car doors) manually. It just felt like the dealer (or MB) was trying to rip me off.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If there is no blank that will fit into the fob, try a blank from an earlier model that won't fit into the fob. Use it as a backup. You are correct that there is no longer a need for a chip in the mechanical key because the chip is only used for starting the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
glutz (01-11-2024)
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM

E450 Coupe
If there is no blank that will fit into the fob, try a blank from an earlier model that won't fit into the fob. Use it as a backup. You are correct that there is no longer a need for a chip in the mechanical key because the chip is only used for starting the vehicle.
Trying an earlier-model blank makes sense, thanks. I might have done that if my lost key hadn't been found.

Still would love to know, though, if there's a legitimate reason --and not just price-gouging -- why MB wouldn't replace only the mechanical key, but insisted on replacing the fob, too.
glutz (01-11-2024)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C250 2016
I lost my mechanical key of a BMW 530i last month, my BMW dealer was able to order from Germany a VNI coded key for 75usd. Mercedes should be able to do that.
The expensive thing is the controller, that will cost a lot more.

best regards.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 PM

E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Abohunu
I lost my mechanical key of a BMW 530i last month, my BMW dealer was able to order from Germany a VNI coded key for 75usd. Mercedes should be able to do that.
The expensive thing is the controller, that will cost a lot more.

best regards.
Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know. I'm glad it worked out for you. Seems like that's exactly how it should go. There's no logical or technical reason I know of to replace the whole fob. I'm now thinking that what the local dealer told me may be dealership greed, and not MB policy. I've previously read that this dealer (in Beverly Hills, CA) typically expects customers to walk in and pay MSRP. I gave them a shot at pricing my car, and they never called me back or returned an email.

I didn't take up the key-replacement question with the dealer I leased from because the key was found before I got that far. But for the sake of anyone else who loses a mechanical key, I'm hoping other MB dealers might be as reasonable as your BMW dealer.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
I hope this help. Recently I dropped off my S63 at the dealer for service. When I picked up the car, notice the key blade was missing from the key fob ( key blade opens and locked the glove box and open the trunk ) and the dealer replaced the entire key fob with the key blade. It came out of the dealer’s own pocket so I don’t this you can just get a blank key blade separately.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:48 PM

E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
I hope this help. Recently I dropped off my S63 at the dealer for service. When I picked up the car, notice the key blade was missing from the key fob ( key blade opens and locked the glove box and open the trunk ) and the dealer replaced the entire key fob with the key blade. It came out of the dealer’s own pocket so I don’t this you can just get a blank key blade separately.
Thanks for this. Hard to know if it addresses the question of whether MB could provide a mechanical key at reasonable cost if they chose to.

From what you say, it sounds as if it was the dealer who lost your mechanical key, and was therefore obligated to replace it. They may have simply found it more expedient to give you a whole new key (fob plus mechanical) than to make you wait while they sent out a blank (if they even had any that weren't part of a whole key) along with your other mechanical key to a locksmith who would need both to cut a replacement. Or to order one from MB based on your VIN, as in the BMW example above.

Any idea how they made the mechanical key in your new fob fit your glove box lock?

I still haven't heard or read anything that explains why MB can't do what BMW did.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It isn't that MB can't sell spare mechanical keys. They don't sell them because it is a losing endeavor. Typically vehicle manufacturers purchase lock sets from lock manufacturers. It is a big business for companies such as Ilco and JMA. Here is a link to download the JMA catalog. I have not looked through it. It is over 600 pages.

MB mechanical keys are produced by Huf. There is an Ilco blank, S34YS-P that may work with a bit of customization by a locksmith with the right tools. I'm not sure if the dimensions are right and the blank is missing a couple of notches. It won't fit in your fob.

Last edited by ua549; 03-03-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by lensjack
Thanks for this. Hard to know if it addresses the question of whether MB could provide a mechanical key at reasonable cost if they chose to.

From what you say, it sounds as if it was the dealer who lost your mechanical key, and was therefore obligated to replace it. They may have simply found it more expedient to give you a whole new key (fob plus mechanical) than to make you wait while they sent out a blank (if they even had any that weren't part of a whole key) along with your other mechanical key to a locksmith who would need both to cut a replacement. Or to order one from MB based on your VIN, as in the BMW example above.

Any idea how they made the mechanical key in your new fob fit your glove box lock?

I still haven't heard or read anything that explains why MB can't do what BMW did.
The key fob and key blade are programmed per VIN, sold as a set even to Mercedes dealer and sent from Germany. If the dealer can’t just replace the key blade which take the same amount of time from Germany to Socal as it would a full set of key fob and blade, I’m sure the dealer would choose the cheaper route since they are the one who lost my key blade during service.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM

E450 Coupe
It isn't that MB can't sell spare mechanical keys. They don't sell them because it is a losing endeavor. Typically vehicle manufacturers purchase lock sets from lock manufacturers. It is a big business for companies such as Ilco and JMA. Here is a link to download the JMA catalog. I have not looked through it. It is over 600 pages.

MB mechanical keys are produced by Huf. There is an Ilco blank, S34YS-P that may work with a bit of customization by a locksmith with the right tools. I'm not sure if the dimensions are right and the blank is missing a couple of notches. It won't fit in your fob.
Thanks for taking time to post this. As mentioned, I don't need a blank. The mechanical key I lost was found and returned to me. What I'm wondering now -- strictly as a matter of curiosity -- is whether replacing the whole fob was MB policy or just the policy of that dealer. If replacing the mechanical key is a losing endeavor for MB, wouldn't it also be a losing endeavor for BMW? In a post above, Abohunu says BMW replaced his VIN-coded mechanical key for $75. Did BMW take a loss on that?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM

E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
The key fob and key blade are programmed per VIN, sold as a set even to Mercedes dealer and sent from Germany. If the dealer can’t just replace the key blade which take the same amount of time from Germany to Socal as it would a full set of key fob and blade, I’m sure the dealer would choose the cheaper route since they are the one who lost my key blade during service.
Thanks, S63. Are you saying no MB dealer worldwide can obtain a mechanical key from MB-Germany without the whole fob? That this is worldwide MB policy and not a dealer's choice? And you are certain of this?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C250 2016
No way BMW dealer took any loss for sure, they never loos, hehehe ...
I saw the public price in they computer before order (only the metal key blade)

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/order-new-bmw-key
"Typical cost for new BMW key is $300-$410 for the proximity key. This key has a metal blade inserted. The metal blade can be purchased separately for $45-$60 if necessary."

mboemparts.com sell OEM parts, and seems there is a part number for the mechanical key only for the C class, but for the w213 I don't see it (don't lose your FOB-Transmitter, that thing is expensive!!)

So I don't feel very confident that MB will be able to take orders only for the key in our e class based on that page, because there is no part number for it (I hope I'm relly wrong)

best regards.

Originally Posted by lensjack
Thanks for taking time to post this. As mentioned, I don't need a blank. The mechanical key I lost was found and returned to me. What I'm wondering now -- strictly as a matter of curiosity -- is whether replacing the whole fob was MB policy or just the policy of that dealer. If replacing the mechanical key is a losing endeavor for MB, wouldn't it also be a losing endeavor for BMW? In a post above, Abohunu says BMW replaced his VIN-coded mechanical key for $75. Did BMW take a loss on that?
lensjack (03-08-2019)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
I am at least going to try

I bought my E400 with only one fob amd constantly get locked put, throw my purse in passenger seat with whatever, walk around, ugh..locked out. So going to buy some blades online and working with a small town business who said he will attempt to copy. Any more, he said all car manufacturers are making it more and more difficult to make and or program fobs but Mercedes put a nix on it back in 2004. Wish me luck.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:10 PM

Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
Update

So called MB dealership and you can get a mechanical key from them made for $89. My fob for my 2018 E400 was quoted at $500 without the estimated 1 hr labor at $180. I opted to do more research as I only want a copy spare mechanical keys shld I get locked out again. I found this website who provides blank mechanical keys in all makes, years and models... key4.com I will work with a small town guy who is willing to attempt to cut so only out $10 if it doesn't work. Will keep you updated.

key4.com is where I found blank mechanical keys.
SidE2 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 08:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe; 2019 E300 Sedan, 2019 Volvo XC90
RE: Mechanical key replacement

I also bought mechanical keys from key4.com for our E Classes (my C238 and my wife's W213) as well. Great price and fast service. I haven't tried to get them cut, and instead keep the blanks on key rings in our console storage. Then, whenever I take the cars in for service or hand them over to valets, I lock the glove box, and swap the blades .
glutz (01-17-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SidE2
I also bought mechanical keys from key4.com for our E Classes (my C238 and my wife's W213) as well. Great price and fast service. I haven't tried to get them cut, and instead keep the blanks on key rings in our console storage. Then, whenever I take the cars in for service or hand them over to valets, I lock the glove box, and swap the blades .
I just flip the switch in the glove box then lock the glove box. The switch disables opening the trunk. That way the key fob will only unlock the doors and start the car.
Keith66 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 05:26 PM

Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
I just flip the switch in the glove box then lock the glove box. The switch disables opening the trunk. That way the key fob will only unlock the doors and start the car.
But that doesn't help when the car locked while running or not and my keys are in my purse in the car and do not have an extra fob.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:27 PM

Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
GOT AN ANSWER FOR YA!

Originally Posted by SidE2
So, look below as I have some fabulous news! 😁
Old 01-17-2024, 05:38 PM

Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
It worked!!!

So, I ordered and recvd my blank, mechanical/valet keys from key4.com. If you have read my posts above, you know that after I spoke with my small town lock and keysmith that he agreed to try...so for $2 a blank, I ordered 3. Today I took them in. He located my 2018 E400 on his computerized, key cutting machine and gave it a try. What do I have to lose but $10 and a heartache knowing I wld than have to spend +/- $100 for a MB mechanical key and huge background ck. Well, IT WORKED!!! I am beyond thrilled and so excited to share with the rest of you. He not only cut 2 keys but also gave me my cars key code. Hope this helps everyone who has struggled with their Benz locking them out without having an addtl fob and without having to spend unnecessary money thru MB. Cheers!!

Last edited by glutz; 01-19-2024 at 02:11 AM.
SidE2 (02-08-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glutz
But that doesn't help when the car locked while running or not and my keys are in my purse in the car and do not have an extra fob.
My '18 E300 does not allow the car to be locked with the fob inside unless there is a second fob outside. If the fob is inside when the car is locked, opening and/or closing the door unlocks the car.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:28 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
My '18 E300 does not allow the car to be locked with the fob inside unless there is a second fob outside. If the fob is inside when the car is locked, opening and/or closing the door unlocks the car.
I'm not so sure about that. A few years ago the key fob for my 2018 E400 Coupe got locked inside the car when it was at the car wash, after the car had been moved to the drying/detail area. I ended up having to call MB, which sent a signal to the car that forced it to unlock the doors (I had the "Mercedes Me" or whatever it's called app back then — too cheap to pay for it now, so not sure if they could/would still do that for me). Since then I always remove the manual key from the fob and put it in my pocket whenever I get the car washed.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 488 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by glutz
So, I ordered and recvd my blank, mechanical/valet keys from key4.com.

...snip
That's cool and happy to hear it worked out for you!

Hey, I just want to jump in here and try to help. Sharing your key code is effectively giving the keys to your car to the world-wide internet. Even though it's very unlikely this would be used maliciously, it's probably not a good idea to have this information out here.

I suggest editing your post to remove the image with your key code in it, then go into your User Profile and locate your Album that holds all of your uploads and delete it from there also.

glutz (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 488 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Same here on my 2018 E43.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mechanical key replacement cost?