Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Mechanical key replacement cost? >

Mechanical key replacement cost?

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Mechanical key replacement cost?

 
Old 02-27-2019, 05:08 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Mechanical key replacement cost?

A couple of weeks ago I lost the mechanical key from a fob I had given to a hotel valet.

I'd pretty much given up on finding it, and began investigating how to replace it. My local MB dealer (not where I bought the car) said I'd need to replace the whole key and have it programmed; cost: $740.

I then talked to a locksmith who specializes in car keys. He didn't have the blank for my key, but said if I could bring him the right blank plus the mechanical key from my other fob, he could cut a replacement for $35.

When I started searching online, I found several MB mechanical key blanks, but nothing exactly like mine. My search was interrupted when the hotel phoned to say they'd found the missing key. They've sent it to me, and all's well again.

Now, mainly out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the dealer's whole-key line was bull****. Anyone here had a similar experience? Are there blanks to be found for 2019 mechanical keys? Is there some legitimate reason why MB would need to replace the whole key rather than simply cut a new mechanical key coded to match my VIN?
lensjack is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:19 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,244
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
IMO the key is quite similar to other MB keys. The differentiating aspect is that it fits into the fob housing. That said, most keys also contain a chip that must be coded. In the past I have replicated keys that fit the lock, but don't work because of the chip.
ua549 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
IMO the key is quite similar to other MB keys. The differentiating aspect is that it fits into the fob housing. That said, most keys also contain a chip that must be coded. In the past I have replicated keys that fit the lock, but don't work because of the chip.
Thanks us549. Not sure I understand. Are you saying there's a chip inside the mechanical key? It looks too small to house a chip. And what would it do? The fob works fine without the mechanical key. Only thing the fob won't do is open the glove box, or manually open the car if necessary. I mean, it's called a "mechanical" key for a reason, no? The reason being it has no electronic function.

After losing the mechanical key, I pulled the mechanical key from my other fob and inserted it in the fob missing a mechanical. It fit and everything worked as it should. So I guess I'm not understanding why a locksmith or MB couldn't inexpensively cut a fully functioning mechanical key that would fit the fob and open the glove box (or car doors) manually. It just felt like the dealer (or MB) was trying to rip me off.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
lensjack is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,244
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
If there is no blank that will fit into the fob, try a blank from an earlier model that won't fit into the fob. Use it as a backup. You are correct that there is no longer a need for a chip in the mechanical key because the chip is only used for starting the vehicle.
ua549 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
If there is no blank that will fit into the fob, try a blank from an earlier model that won't fit into the fob. Use it as a backup. You are correct that there is no longer a need for a chip in the mechanical key because the chip is only used for starting the vehicle.
Trying an earlier-model blank makes sense, thanks. I might have done that if my lost key hadn't been found.

Still would love to know, though, if there's a legitimate reason --and not just price-gouging -- why MB wouldn't replace only the mechanical key, but insisted on replacing the fob, too.
lensjack is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 74
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W205 C250 2016
I lost my mechanical key of a BMW 530i last month, my BMW dealer was able to order from Germany a VNI coded key for 75usd. Mercedes should be able to do that.
The expensive thing is the controller, that will cost a lot more.

best regards.
Abohunu is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Abohunu View Post
I lost my mechanical key of a BMW 530i last month, my BMW dealer was able to order from Germany a VNI coded key for 75usd. Mercedes should be able to do that.
The expensive thing is the controller, that will cost a lot more.

best regards.
Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know. I'm glad it worked out for you. Seems like that's exactly how it should go. There's no logical or technical reason I know of to replace the whole fob. I'm now thinking that what the local dealer told me may be dealership greed, and not MB policy. I've previously read that this dealer (in Beverly Hills, CA) typically expects customers to walk in and pay MSRP. I gave them a shot at pricing my car, and they never called me back or returned an email.

I didn't take up the key-replacement question with the dealer I leased from because the key was found before I got that far. But for the sake of anyone else who loses a mechanical key, I'm hoping other MB dealers might be as reasonable as your BMW dealer.
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 PM
  #8  
Super Member
iTrader: (2)
 
S63AMG888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Socal and Norcal
Posts: 777
Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
S63AMG, SL63, E63
I hope this help. Recently I dropped off my S63 at the dealer for service. When I picked up the car, notice the key blade was missing from the key fob ( key blade opens and locked the glove box and open the trunk ) and the dealer replaced the entire key fob with the key blade. It came out of the dealerís own pocket so I donít this you can just get a blank key blade separately.
S63AMG888 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:48 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by S63AMG888 View Post
I hope this help. Recently I dropped off my S63 at the dealer for service. When I picked up the car, notice the key blade was missing from the key fob ( key blade opens and locked the glove box and open the trunk ) and the dealer replaced the entire key fob with the key blade. It came out of the dealerís own pocket so I donít this you can just get a blank key blade separately.
Thanks for this. Hard to know if it addresses the question of whether MB could provide a mechanical key at reasonable cost if they chose to.

From what you say, it sounds as if it was the dealer who lost your mechanical key, and was therefore obligated to replace it. They may have simply found it more expedient to give you a whole new key (fob plus mechanical) than to make you wait while they sent out a blank (if they even had any that weren't part of a whole key) along with your other mechanical key to a locksmith who would need both to cut a replacement. Or to order one from MB based on your VIN, as in the BMW example above.

Any idea how they made the mechanical key in your new fob fit your glove box lock?

I still haven't heard or read anything that explains why MB can't do what BMW did.
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,244
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
It isn't that MB can't sell spare mechanical keys. They don't sell them because it is a losing endeavor. Typically vehicle manufacturers purchase lock sets from lock manufacturers. It is a big business for companies such as Ilco and JMA. Here is a link to download the JMA catalog. I have not looked through it. It is over 600 pages.

MB mechanical keys are produced by Huf. There is an Ilco blank, S34YS-P that may work with a bit of customization by a locksmith with the right tools. I'm not sure if the dimensions are right and the blank is missing a couple of notches. It won't fit in your fob.

Last edited by ua549; 03-03-2019 at 05:07 PM.
ua549 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 06:11 PM
  #11  
Super Member
iTrader: (2)
 
S63AMG888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Socal and Norcal
Posts: 777
Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
S63AMG, SL63, E63
Originally Posted by lensjack View Post
Thanks for this. Hard to know if it addresses the question of whether MB could provide a mechanical key at reasonable cost if they chose to.

From what you say, it sounds as if it was the dealer who lost your mechanical key, and was therefore obligated to replace it. They may have simply found it more expedient to give you a whole new key (fob plus mechanical) than to make you wait while they sent out a blank (if they even had any that weren't part of a whole key) along with your other mechanical key to a locksmith who would need both to cut a replacement. Or to order one from MB based on your VIN, as in the BMW example above.

Any idea how they made the mechanical key in your new fob fit your glove box lock?

I still haven't heard or read anything that explains why MB can't do what BMW did.
The key fob and key blade are programmed per VIN, sold as a set even to Mercedes dealer and sent from Germany. If the dealer canít just replace the key blade which take the same amount of time from Germany to Socal as it would a full set of key fob and blade, Iím sure the dealer would choose the cheaper route since they are the one who lost my key blade during service.
S63AMG888 is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
It isn't that MB can't sell spare mechanical keys. They don't sell them because it is a losing endeavor. Typically vehicle manufacturers purchase lock sets from lock manufacturers. It is a big business for companies such as Ilco and JMA. Here is a link to download the JMA catalog. I have not looked through it. It is over 600 pages.

MB mechanical keys are produced by Huf. There is an Ilco blank, S34YS-P that may work with a bit of customization by a locksmith with the right tools. I'm not sure if the dimensions are right and the blank is missing a couple of notches. It won't fit in your fob.
Thanks for taking time to post this. As mentioned, I don't need a blank. The mechanical key I lost was found and returned to me. What I'm wondering now -- strictly as a matter of curiosity -- is whether replacing the whole fob was MB policy or just the policy of that dealer. If replacing the mechanical key is a losing endeavor for MB, wouldn't it also be a losing endeavor for BMW? In a post above, Abohunu says BMW replaced his VIN-coded mechanical key for $75. Did BMW take a loss on that?
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by S63AMG888 View Post
The key fob and key blade are programmed per VIN, sold as a set even to Mercedes dealer and sent from Germany. If the dealer canít just replace the key blade which take the same amount of time from Germany to Socal as it would a full set of key fob and blade, Iím sure the dealer would choose the cheaper route since they are the one who lost my key blade during service.
Thanks, S63. Are you saying no MB dealer worldwide can obtain a mechanical key from MB-Germany without the whole fob? That this is worldwide MB policy and not a dealer's choice? And you are certain of this?
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 74
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W205 C250 2016
No way BMW dealer took any loss for sure, they never loos, hehehe ...
I saw the public price in they computer before order (only the metal key blade)

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/order-new-bmw-key
"Typical cost for new BMW key is $300-$410 for the proximity key. This key has a metal blade inserted. The metal blade can be purchased separately for $45-$60 if necessary."

mboemparts.com sell OEM parts, and seems there is a part number for the mechanical key only for the C class, but for the w213 I don't see it (don't lose your FOB-Transmitter, that thing is expensive!!)

So I don't feel very confident that MB will be able to take orders only for the key in our e class based on that page, because there is no part number for it (I hope I'm relly wrong)

best regards.

Originally Posted by lensjack View Post
Thanks for taking time to post this. As mentioned, I don't need a blank. The mechanical key I lost was found and returned to me. What I'm wondering now -- strictly as a matter of curiosity -- is whether replacing the whole fob was MB policy or just the policy of that dealer. If replacing the mechanical key is a losing endeavor for MB, wouldn't it also be a losing endeavor for BMW? In a post above, Abohunu says BMW replaced his VIN-coded mechanical key for $75. Did BMW take a loss on that?
Abohunu is offline  
The following users liked this post:
lensjack (03-08-2019)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mechanical key replacement cost?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: