E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

TPMS on these wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E450
TPMS on these wheels?

This is a long story but I will try to summarize it and ask my question succinctly.
  1. I purchased a 2018 E400 and immediately changed the 19 inch wheels to 18's and replaced the RFT's with Michelin Pilot Sports A/S to improve the harshness of the ride.
  2. Some features on the 2018 were misrepresented to me and MB made it easy for me to change to my current car which is a 2019 E450
  3. I have never installed TPMS sensor in the wheels in the 2018 and would like to do it in the 2019 car. I understand that without the current sensors I have "passive" tire pressure monitoring (based on the rotation of the wheels) and that installing TPMS will give me "active" TPMS
  4. The wheels I have on the car (see attached photo) are OEM and I believe standard on E300's although Im not sure of this. I also believe that these E300's have active TPMS but again Im not absolutely sure.
  5. The local MB dealer service dept has not been very helpful. They say their system shows that these wheels are not compatible with TPMS but they can't be certain of that. The only way is to try it out and they quoted more than $1K Canadian for the experiment.
  6. I was able to purchase Mercedes OEM E300/400 TPMS sensors on eBay from a gentleman in Germany at a fraction of the Dealer quoted cost
Before asking my local tire guy to try to fit the sensors is there anyone who can tell me if the setup should work and, if so, what to I need to do to get the TPMS operating and showing on Mercedes Me?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by herbkell
This is a long story but I will try to summarize it and ask my question succinctly.
  1. I purchased a 2018 E400 and immediately changed the 19 inch wheels to 18's and replaced the RFT's with Michelin Pilot Sports A/S to improve the harshness of the ride.
  2. Some features on the 2018 were misrepresented to me and MB made it easy for me to change to my current car which is a 2019 E450
  3. I have never installed TPMS sensor in the wheels in the 2018 and would like to do it in the 2019 car. I understand that without the current sensors I have "passive" tire pressure monitoring (based on the rotation of the wheels) and that installing TPMS will give me "active" TPMS
  4. The wheels I have on the car (see attached photo) are OEM and I believe standard on E300's although Im not sure of this. I also believe that these E300's have active TPMS but again Im not absolutely sure.
  5. The local MB dealer service dept has not been very helpful. They say their system shows that these wheels are not compatible with TPMS but they can't be certain of that. The only way is to try it out and they quoted more than $1K Canadian for the experiment.
  6. I was able to purchase Mercedes OEM E300/400 TPMS sensors on eBay from a gentleman in Germany at a fraction of the Dealer quoted cost
Before asking my local tire guy to try to fit the sensors is there anyone who can tell me if the setup should work and, if so, what to I need to do to get the TPMS operating and showing on Mercedes Me?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice
I have the same wheels and they came with TPMS sensors. My tyre valve is very different to yours though.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 PM

2019 E450
thanks for the info

I looked at the TPMS sensors that I purchased and they include valves that are different to the ones I have now
Old 04-17-2019, 02:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 E220d
Same for me. I have those exact wheels as standard (in the UK) and they came with full TPMS. Unless anything weird is going on, I'd have thought it should work for you...
Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
You can also reach out to @vic viper. He might be able to help you out.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
There are two different Schrader sensors used, one with an alloy screw on stem and a flexible rubber stem, you can tell if you have the rubber stem sensor by trying to fold it, it should not give as much as a regular non sensor valve.
All OE alloy wheels are compatible with OE TPMS sensors, and almost all non OE as well, the wheel on the picture above is 100% compatible.

TPMS works different depending on markets, in scandinavia TPMS is mandatory since 2014, the active TPMS in Mercedes sold on our markets cannot be turned off and will display an error message once sensors are missing.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 PM

2019 E450
Thanks Vic that’s very helpful information
Old 04-13-2023, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by vic viper
There are two different Schrader sensors used, one with an alloy screw on stem and a flexible rubber stem, you can tell if you have the rubber stem sensor by trying to fold it, it should not give as much as a regular non sensor valve.
All OE alloy wheels are compatible with OE TPMS sensors, and almost all non OE as well, the wheel on the picture above is 100% compatible.

TPMS works different depending on markets, in scandinavia TPMS is mandatory since 2014, the active TPMS in Mercedes sold on our markets cannot be turned off and will display an error message once sensors are missing.

I changed my rims and put aftermarket tpms

before it said no tpms installed

All it does it now it says active and I guess it’s reading but never gives any numbers now …tpms I bought said don’t need to be programmed they are auto programmed 433hz for w213

im not sure where is going wrong
Old 04-13-2023, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by PocketWatch
I changed my rims and put aftermarket tpms

before it said no tpms installed

All it does it now it says active and I guess it’s reading but never gives any numbers now …tpms I bought said don’t need to be programmed they are auto programmed 433hz for w213

im not sure where is going wrong
How long did you drive with the new sensors?

EDIT: from the other thread I see you have been driving long enough. Either wrong type of sensors or they have not been correctly coded to match your car.

You could try to reset the tyre pressure monitoring system but I think a W213 should figure out new sensors automatically.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 04-13-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
How long did you drive with the new sensors?

well I put them in a year ago and when i press start tpms it starts but never reads

I just put in a fresh set this morning drove about 5 mins back to my house in active mode nothing happens

I scroll down and it says “use new references as numbers or whatever” when I press it nothing happens

it’s like endlessly reading or something lol
Old 04-14-2023, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PocketWatch
well I put them in a year ago and when i press start tpms it starts but never reads

I just put in a fresh set this morning drove about 5 mins back to my house in active mode nothing happens

I scroll down and it says “use new references as numbers or whatever” when I press it nothing happens

it’s like endlessly reading or something lol
Perhaps you missed my changes to the previous message. Once you press reset TPMS from the cluster, nothing really should happen other than it says "TPSM will be activated after some driving" (cannot remember the exact phrase). If you this time drove 5 minutes, it may not be enough. 5 km on a winding road is usually enough, last time I had to drive a lot more (20 to 40 km, cannot remember exactly).
Old 04-14-2023, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 417 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps you missed my changes to the previous message. Once you press reset TPMS from the cluster, nothing really should happen other than it says "TPSM will be activated after some driving" (cannot remember the exact phrase). If you this time drove 5 minutes, it may not be enough. 5 km on a winding road is usually enough, last time I had to drive a lot more (20 to 40 km, cannot remember exactly).
FWIW: I check my tire pressure each time I drive - making sure I did not have a flat overnight. Within 1/2 mile the tire pressure is shown.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JTK44
FWIW: I check my tire pressure each time I drive - making sure I did not have a flat overnight. Within 1/2 mile the tire pressure is shown.
But you do not install new sensor before each trip! My understanding was that we were discussing TPMS operation after new sensors have been installed.