E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

touchsreens, MBUX and Command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
touchsreens, MBUX and Command

I searched for information and comments on MBUX and found several comments by people who don't like touchscreens. I was curious because I am about to order an E450. Posts in 2018 said the 2020 E class would have MBUX, but it does not, though it probably will with a 2021 refresh. Is the MBUX worth waiting for? I'm guessing not, for me, because I use the media function mainly for listening to books on Apple CarPlay and for navigation (for that I often just listen rather than take my eyes off the road to look at a screen). A wireless iPhone connection would be nice if equally effective. But I am curious about the comments of those who don't like MBUX because they don't like touchscreens. From what I have seen on youtube videos, etc., it is not necessary to use the touchscreen because there are redundant controls on the steering wheel and console that can do anything one can do by touching the screen. Is that true? Am I missing something? How big a deal is MBUX?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Surprisingly, most of the video comments online seem to dislike MBUX and prefer COMAND. Either way, I don't think it's that big a deal. If it's convenient to wait for the 2021, you should also get an inline 6, which I assume is a bit better, as that's what MB is going to. But if you don't feel like waiting, I don't think you'll regret having COMAND instead of MBUX. With either one, there are alternate controls for many functions.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E350, 2019 GLC 300
Originally Posted by twilightround
for navigation (for that I often just listen rather than take my eyes off the road to look at a screen).

Regarding your comment regarding Navigation - I would suggest getting the HUD (Heads Up Display) the navigation is displayed right in front of you. It's been enhanced in the 2020 E vs the 2017 I previously had. Take a look at it.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
I searched for information and comments on MBUX and found several comments by people who don't like touchscreens. I was curious because I am about to order an E450. Posts in 2018 said the 2020 E class would have MBUX, but it does not, though it probably will with a 2021 refresh. Is the MBUX worth waiting for? I'm guessing not, for me, because I use the media function mainly for listening to books on Apple CarPlay and for navigation (for that I often just listen rather than take my eyes off the road to look at a screen). A wireless iPhone connection would be nice if equally effective. But I am curious about the comments of those who don't like MBUX because they don't like touchscreens. From what I have seen on youtube videos, etc., it is not necessary to use the touchscreen because there are redundant controls on the steering wheel and console that can do anything one can do by touching the screen. Is that true? Am I missing something? How big a deal is MBUX?
I used MBUX in a loaner A220 (I had it for 4 days). For the most part I like it. I've gotten used to touch screen (in vehicles) from my Ford F150 with SYNC 3. IMO, touch is here to stay. so maybe the hater need to learn to accept it. Fingerprints? Yup...unavoidable. Also, don't forget that you can do most functions without touching the screen by using "Voice", which seems to be improved from COMAND.
I don't think MBUX would influence my buying decision one way or the other. OTOH, if you must have the latest tech, or are phobic about fingerprints...who knows.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 807 Likes on 639 Posts
If MB puts a "tablet" stuck on the front of the dash like the C class, I'll move to a different brand. That's the reason I haven't upgraded my highway BMW. I don't mind a touch screen, but they should keep it in the dash, not protruding from the dash.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
rraisley -- That's another thing to think about. I have driven both the V6 and the I6. I suppose the I6 is technically better, but I didn't notice it being smoother. But that's on very short exposure.

knoppe01 - I do intend to get the head-up option, partly for that, but also because I find the upper rim of the steering wheel cuts off the speedometer.

Cao Black - do you know if there are some functions that can only be done on the screen?

ua549 - I don't think that's going to happen on the new E, but I guess the dash may be more like the new GLE and GLS.

Anyway, thank you all for the comments.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:37 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
rraisley -- That's another thing to think about. I have driven both the V6 and the I6. I suppose the I6 is technically better, but I didn't notice it being smoother. But that's on very short exposure.
Yeah, I was confused myself. V6's are more compact, although an I-6 is inherently balanced. But they've made the V6 so smooth, it's hard to understand the development of a new engine (currently being used on other models, I know), when they profess to put all new development into EVs. Seems to me like a small, incremental and in general unnoticeable change.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:49 AM

2015 ML350+2021 E350

knoppe01 - I do intend to get the head-up option, partly for that, but also because I find the upper rim of the steering wheel cuts off the speedometer.

Cao Black - do you know if there are some functions that can only be done on the screen?
Te
ua549 - I don't think that's going to happen on the new E, but I guess the dash may be more like the new GLE and GLS.

Anyway, thank you all for the comments.
The short answer is NO, I don't. Being a loaner I just tinkered with it without delving too deep. My guess is that any and all functions can be done using either the screen or the new touchpad, and maybe even with the upgraded voice commands. The old COMAND wheel is gone. Lots of reviews of MBUX on YouTube. My impression was an improvement from COMAND.

A side note: both MBUX vehicles I have driven...a 2020 A220 loaner, and 2020 GLE350 test drive...have wide screen cockpits and neither has the screens recessed into the dash. Some time ago I posted a spy pic of the "iPad" style infotainment screen reported going into the next gen S class. It sits on the center console. Very Tesla-ish.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 GLE 53, 2021 C43W4, 2016 C7 Corvette Z06, 2014Nissan GTR
The MBUX is just very modern and smooth, touch screen, touch pads. As you mentioned very redundant. You can also customize a lot of different options on the screen. Easy to use commands, and just the quality of the resolution is beautiful. Is it necessary to have it? Honestly no, especially since it is fairly new. It has its bugs here and there. The COMAND system is at its peak when it comes to what its capable of. And me personally, i'd say its enough.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E200 sedan
The move to inline 6 is to save weight and to have a modular family of engines. An inline 6 is inherently balanced and doesn't need any counter balances etc improving response and making it thereby slightly more efficient, also they should be cheaper to make due to the simpler design. There is a reason more manufacturers are moving back to inline 6s.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:54 AM

2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by ua549
If MB puts a "tablet" stuck on the front of the dash like the C class, I'll move to a different brand. That's the reason I haven't upgraded my highway BMW. I don't mind a touch screen, but they should keep it in the dash, not protruding from the dash.
You mean like this?
Here's a "spy" photo of 2021 C class. No guarantee, of course, but it appears MB is heading in the Tesla direction.