E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Where are your rattles coming from ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
My E300 passed its third birthday last month. I still do not have any rattles or squeaks. It is rock solid.
The following users liked this post:
SunnyC257 (10-16-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
E350d
Originally Posted by SunnyE53
I also have a creak in my drivers side door, I think its coming from behind the door trim somewhere, its hard to identify exactly where its coming from.
There was a fix on this forum where you insert business cards in the gaps between the door trim and the door: just google "w213 door trim creak" for that image. It may help with the squeaking door trims: sometimes it's the flex of the trim that results in unintended contact points with other bits and pieces, and you can try applying various levels of pressure on the door trim or surrounding area to see how it affects the creaking.

I have those inserts (felt taped on both sides), along with some stickers on the b-pillar (the metal bit next to the rubber seals) that press the door trim when closed to further help the trim to remain in its place. The stickers are two layers of electrician tapes (as they don't leave any marks) and two layers of felt tapes sandwiched in between. If you want to DIY you should be prepared to experiment a lot to find the combination that eliminates the noises.

Originally Posted by haibieb
Our 2019 CLS 450, just like my previous 2018 E400 Convertible, the driver's door has a persistent squeak and low rattle on and off. If you lean your left knee or grab so ever slightly on the door handle the area around it squeaks. These issues were never present or as prevalent on older MB's. It reflects in my opinion
that the quality of materials and craftsmanship is declining. I would not allow the dealership to take the door panel out for fear that the noise(s) would probably be worse and or the door panel may not be aligned properly.
The persistent squeaking/rattling could be the wood trim that is not properly secured, or a broken plastic plug. I have encountered both and the dealership took care of them.

For the door handle and the surrounding area (mainly the window switches) noises, are you referring to the plasticky squeaks? The technician at my dealership agreed that it was utterly rubbish and did some work to improve that, by a huge margin. Hopefully you can find someone that you trust enough to open up the car to fix these things.

Unfortunately I think this is just lazy designs rather than poor materials or craftsmanship: the cars are built exactly as they were designed, maddening squeaks all round. Right now I'll take an ugly audi over mercs or bmws any day.
The following 2 users liked this post by evd22:
haibieb (09-15-2020), SunnyC257 (09-20-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 06:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
I have a squeaky rattle behind the rear right seatback but I don't know where its coming from. The local Mercedes dealer put some black tape over the catch and replaced the release handle but the rattle is still there.... its going back again next week.
UPDATE: this turned out to be a failed plastic push-clip in the trunk to hold the carpeting in place (one directly behind the rear-right seatback, at the top). The clip wasn't properly holding the carpet onto the metal frame behind the seats, so I think that the carpet was tapping the metal thus causing the noise. I replaced the clip with a new one, and the rattle has now gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by SunnyC257:
CarFan1 (12-15-2021), haibieb (10-15-2020)
Old 11-10-2021, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E43 AMG, 2018 GLC 300 4MATIC, 2015 C300 4MATIC
UPDATE: this turned out to be a failed plastic push-clip in the trunk to hold the carpeting in place (one directly behind the rear-right seatback, at the top). The clip wasn't properly holding the carpet onto the metal frame behind the seats, so I think that the carpet was tapping the metal thus causing the noise. I replaced the clip with a new one, and the rattle has now gone.
Do you have a picture of where is it exactly? I might have the same issue with my E43 AMG. Thanks
Old 11-10-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Been driving a couple of short trips today and discovered a hollow "rattle", almost a rumble from the right rear when driving on uneven roads and over speed bumps.
The noise seems to come out when the suspension moves up and down.
Looked in the back for a lose panel, or whatever could cause it, nothing..
Will have my car mechanic buddy lay down in back to help identify the source in a day or two,

Anybody else with a similar noise from the right rear on a W213 Wagon?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:42 PM

E400 Estate
Originally Posted by NorseWagon
Been driving a couple of short trips today and discovered a hollow "rattle", almost a rumble from the right rear when driving on uneven roads and over speed bumps.
The noise seems to come out when the suspension moves up and down.
Looked in the back for a lose panel, or whatever could cause it, nothing..
Will have my car mechanic buddy lay down in back to help identify the source in a day or two,

Anybody else with a similar noise from the right rear on a W213 Wagon?
I do! Been to the dealer 3 times for it. The first time they replaced the shock since it was leaky anyway. 2nd attempt they “couldn’t reproduce.” 3rd time they had it for a week before they gave up and said it’s normal.

That being said I DID just come across TSB LI32.25-P-066246 in the wonderful recall/tsb thread. I’d go armed with that and see if that helps! Keep me updated.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:33 AM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Originally Posted by ilackav8
I do! Been to the dealer 3 times for it. The first time they replaced the shock since it was leaky anyway. 2nd attempt they “couldn’t reproduce.” 3rd time they had it for a week before they gave up and said it’s normal.

That being said I DID just come across TSB LI32.25-P-066246 in the wonderful recall/tsb thread. I’d go armed with that and see if that helps! Keep me updated.
Perfect, I will print it out and see the dealer next week.
Thx
Old 11-13-2021, 09:01 AM

W213 E220d AMG
rattles, creaks and juddering

OK this is a late 2019 UK E220d AMG line Premium. love the car but a couple of things making me turn the radio up....

1 slight rattle coming from the front right behind the dash, associated with acceleration / engine torque. checked under the bonnet for anything possible there, used some cable ties but to no avail.

2 centre dashboard creaking - cured this by taking off the big speaker cover, putting grease on the tabs connecting the two plastic pices, and lined it with speaker cloth - problem solved.

3 car was on 20" rims with 30 profile run flat tyres, absolutely undriveable on Irish roads, got fed up with the fear of hitting even a slight pothole and changed them all for normal tyres - absolutely transformed the car into a proper Merc.

4 Most seriously, there is a harmonic / rhythmic juddering about 120-130 KMH ( 70-80 MPH), this is with new tyres properly balanced and inflated - also associated with brake judder. I mentioned this on the last service and got the usual blah blah about warped discs; when I asked what the run-out was on the discs I got an "Oh S@&£ this guy actually knows something about engineering" vacant look. What concerns me from reading other posts is that this is a possible drivetrain issue; either a diff problem or a driveshaft out of balance, just wish MB would come clean with an answer instead of reading from the workshop manual. Im not sure how they would be warped when i dont exactly drive it like a racecar.

5 lately it has developed a rattle in the passenger seat headrest, i have opened up the seat and checked the body of the seat for rattles but it is solid, curiously it is not noticable when someone is in the seat, drives me crazy when driving it to work though..

I expected better from my first Merc, I had driven 4 VW Passat's as company cars for over 12 years with no rattle issues or issues with brakes etc.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your warped discs may have been caused by overtightening the wheel nuts, after changing the wheels.It happened to me twice, on two amg line 213's
The following 2 users liked this post by mark little:
fergs1 (11-14-2021), pintycar (08-17-2022)
Old 11-13-2021, 05:22 PM

E400 Estate
Not really the right place to post but this is a pretty active 213 thread so here we are.

Can anyone confirm if, with the car on, they hear a little air pump and release when you apply/release their brakes? None of my other cars do, but I noticed it on my Benz and wasn’t sure if it’s normal for MB to do this (it’s my first one!)
Old 11-14-2021, 12:01 PM

W213 E220d AMG
Good point Mark

I have never seen a tyre fitter use a torque wrench !!!
Old 11-20-2021, 10:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 4matic coupe
I was having the same issue with e coupe.. took it in for service and the explain that I could be the connectors so they added some felt tape and said its fix...it wasn't took it back and they damage the interior door so they ended up replacing the interior door trim and boom no more squeaks creaks and rattles
Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 AM

2018 E43 AMG, 2018 GLC 300 4MATIC, 2015 C300 4MATIC
B pillar area.... but I can stop the rattle if i press my left elbow on the door trim.. maybe its the door and connected to bpillar but i cannot identify the sound source. I can only stop it. Anyone with the same issues?(E43 Sedan)

Rattle noise area during bumpier roads

I can stop it by pressing inward in this area
Old 11-29-2021, 10:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments for panel removal to identify noises.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install paneling on B-pillar.pdf (699.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf
install front door lining.pdf (817.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-15-2021, 12:48 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Disappointing day: Took the E-wagon in to the dealer for them to fix the rattle from the right rear axle. (MB Service Bulletin)
Did the test ride with a service advisor, he did not hear anything out of the ordinary.
I tried various speeds and roads, but today the noise was not very pronounced, although I could clearly hear it.
I asked the SA if his ears was ok?
He replied his ears are fine, and also said he used to be a tech and he knew his stuff, there was nothing wrong with
my car and something has to be broken for them to fix it,
I got a bit ticked off, but had no case: Of course the problem must be duplicated. (There was no speed bumps in the area around the dealer)
I gave up and dropped him off.
Not sure what to do next..
Find speed bumps and video record the noise repeatedly? Go to a different dealer, or find an Indy shop?
Wait 6 months and see if the problem gets worse?
Old 12-22-2021, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E400
Originally Posted by NorseWagon
Disappointing day: Took the E-wagon in to the dealer for them to fix the rattle from the right rear axle. (MB Service Bulletin)
Did the test ride with a service advisor, he did not hear anything out of the ordinary.
I tried various speeds and roads, but today the noise was not very pronounced, although I could clearly hear it.
I asked the SA if his ears was ok?
He replied his ears are fine, and also said he used to be a tech and he knew his stuff, there was nothing wrong with
my car and something has to be broken for them to fix it,
I got a bit ticked off, but had no case: Of course the problem must be duplicated. (There was no speed bumps in the area around the dealer)
I gave up and dropped him off.
Not sure what to do next..
Find speed bumps and video record the noise repeatedly? Go to a different dealer, or find an Indy shop?
Wait 6 months and see if the problem gets worse?
bring it in 3 times for the problem then file lemon law suit or breach of warranty lol.