E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

I broke my CarPlay USB port!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 11:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bzgrowllaa
There is a full android box for the USB car play port that give you everything your phone can do, including the android auto wireless. However when you use that full box to get you tube/ net flix/ GPS/ play games etc, via a wireless keyboard or mouse you wont look back. It unlocks the video in motion capability. The cost between $260 to 320 US depending on brand. it may seem expensive but way cheaper that the iffy video in motion bypass cables out there.

those usb android boxes are too slow. Especially in 2022….check this out…adds capacitive touch just like a tablet to your non touch w213 screen as well. It’s a Korean company…I installed it back in January…it’s pretty damn awesome

Old 02-26-2022, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C238 2019 RHD
I like this because of the touch screen aspect but I believe this in a more complex install, compared to a simple one plug in to the usb port option that does not require an installer to get done. The plug and play devices without out calling names of the two brands i know of run 8 core processors as opposed to the 6 core here of the Korean brand so they would be in par in terms of responsiveness. The 6- pin interface of the touch screen, I believe can be added to this same plug and play box using a 6 pin to 4 pin converter that then works with the Mercedes interface but i do not have the knowledge in that area. Maybe you can shed some light here.

The box I have has GPS, cellular service, wi-fi, bluetooth, internal and expandable memory and installs in a few minutes inclusive of configuration once plugged in. The box also then works with the Mercedes that already have touch screen so you see the benefit form there too.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:01 PM

I like this because of the touch screen aspect but I believe this in a more complex install, compared to a simple one plug in to the usb port option that does not require an installer to get done. The plug and play devices without out calling names of the two brands i know of run 8 core processors as opposed to the 6 core here of the Korean brand so they would be in par in terms of responsiveness. The 6- pin interface of the touch screen, I believe can be added to this same plug and play box using a 6 pin to 4 pin converter that then works with the Mercedes interface but i do not have the knowledge in that area. Maybe you can shed some light here.

The box I have has GPS, cellular service, wi-fi, bluetooth, internal and expandable memory and installs in a few minutes inclusive of configuration once plugged in. The box also then works with the Mercedes that already have touch screen so you see the benefit form there too.

that Korean site sells the usb android box as well. He actually recommended it to me because he felt the install would be over my head. But he was also the one who warned me that the usb devices are not as snappy as the stand alone unit. In terms of easy…the usb box is a no brainer…but the alternative is pretty simple. No cut wires, you only need to tap into a 12v constant and a neutral. The video interface provides an acc 12v. Then just 2 wire behind the head unit to tap in order to get your cars buttons to work.

if the android box you have has a USB port, you can manually add touch to the kernel and use a capacitive panel along with your android box. But if you’re gonna do that you might as well do the full install.

price wise the android box wins, too. About 300 vs 900 for all the necessary components. But the quick boot and that it’s already loaded by the time I have the car on is worth the extra money imo.

you definitely need someone to install it if you aren’t willing capable of doing it yourself…but on my first attempt it only took about 3 hours.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C238 2019 RHD
900 ain't a bad prices at all you are willing to do it yourself. I am capable of tapping in to wires and such like. I'd look at at then. Question regarding the capacitive touch screen. Do you sandwich it between the screen behind the 24 " glass, if yes how? maybe you should do a thread if you haven't done so already of pics of the install.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:53 PM

900 ain't a bad prices at all you are willing to do it yourself. I am capable of tapping in to wires and such like. I'd look at at then. Question regarding the capacitive touch screen. Do you sandwich it between the screen behind the 24 " glass, if yes how? maybe you should do a thread if you haven't done so already of pics of the install.
do you have the digital dashboard? Or the analog? If you have the digital they sell something you put on top…super easy to install…the Analog they used to make as well but not anymore. I actually bought the very last one in existence from a reseller in Hong Kong and ended up breaking it because I’m an idiot and forgot to remove the protective film on the inside before attaching it. So I had to use the 12.1 inch screen they sell and “sandwich” it in. It’s actually really easy…once you remove all the screws in the back holding it in, it slides right out.

they have a video of the install on YouTube. It’s the previous version of the system called a-link I believe but the steps are similar…but he wiring is more simple on the new M2c version…

Don’t see me ever taking it apart again so can’t help with a diy thread…but if you do decide to get one I’d be happy to answer any of your questions…

​​​​​​
Old 06-26-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220d
Hey folks, I have a similar issue with my W213 but albeit the main multimedia connection unit. The CarPlay/Android Auto media port's USB's plastic is broken. After much digging, I managed to find the part (A2138200400) online (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283980076350) but wondering how to take out the unit.

I managed to open the console by going through other threads on here but unable to pop out the multimedia connection unit. Can't find anything to press to pop it out. Pictures below. Any ideas how to do it?

Broken port in the multimedia console unit (above)

Cables going into the port from the other side (under the center console)

Last edited by vaibhavk; 06-26-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,433 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Try depressing side fasteners attached console instructions for better access.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Console.pdf (585.9 KB, 173 views)
Console cover.pdf (588.4 KB, 129 views)
Stowage box cover.pdf (509.1 KB, 105 views)
Rear cover.pdf (540.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 04:26 PM

E220d
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Try depressing side fasteners attached console instructions for better access.
Thank you so much. Let me go through the instructions and try this tomorrow. I could see the side fasteners in the stock images on spare parts websites but I was unable to access the fasteners as there's little wiggle room to insert a flat bit or a plastic removal tool (as can be seen in my second image). I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Noob question: where did you download these helpful guides from? Wonder if there's one for the multimedia connection unit and how to access it for replacement.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E220d 4MATIC W213 AMG Line
Do you happen to have the USB-C part number for this?

The part mention number mentioned for post number 17 is for the C-class
The E-class part number is slightly different 213-820-32-00. The old one can be popped out without removing the entire console. Do it slowly as it is surprisingly long module. (+3 inches)
Tip. Before disconnecting from behind the module after pulling out the module, tie a shoelace to the back of the wire to stop it from dropping back in to the hole. Connect the new one, verify connectivity and then remove shoelace and reinstall.
They can be ordered for about 55 to 65 bucks from most Mercedes dealers.

The following users liked this post:
HZ1YR (11-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 02:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Posts like this are the reason that these Forums are so awesome. I just broke my center usb on my E63s and now will simply order the part and fix it! Thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
velryba (01-04-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 01:41 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by kashann
Do you happen to have the USB-C part number for this?
Try A2478203802. You can buy it on eBay for about 45$ with returns. This number is for the W177 but it should be the same connection/size/plug.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:37 AM

2017 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Billyismyname
Try A2478203802. You can buy it on eBay for about 45$ with returns. This number is for the W177 but it should be the same connection/size/plug.
Looking for that USB-C part as well, that would be nice 👌🏻
Old 11-17-2023, 10:17 PM

2020 Mercedes E350
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2020 E350 that came with the standard USB-A ports. I was hoping to change the main USB port in front of the cup holders that is used for CarPlay to USB-C. I know USB-C is what the newer E-Class is now equipped with so I was hoping it would be a quick swap. I ordered part number A 247-820-38-02, which is the one mentioned in this thread (I've included photos of part below). I received it today and attempted the swap. While I could plug my phone in and it would charge, CarPlay would not initiate and my phone was not coming up as a connected device for CarPlay. I also tried my Carlinkit wireless CarPlay dongle and that also powered up but CarPlay would not initiate. Is there something I need to do to get it the new port to recognize? I did notice that like the photos posted above, my USB-A port has the icons and the number 0 on it, but the USB-C only has the phone icons but no number 0. Not sure if that matters. Thanks all.

Last edited by Tombstone1881; 11-17-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:02 AM

2020 Mercedes E350
In doing some additional research, I'm wondering if the actual correct part number is A 247-820-46-02 for the USB-C port. When looking at video reviews of the 2021 to 2023 E Classes on YouTube, I noticed the port on the left with the icons to the right of the port (see attached screenshot from one of the videos). The part originally referenced in this thread has it the other way around as you see in the photos in my previous post. Perhaps that is the reason the CarPlay is not working?

Originally Posted by Tombstone1881
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2020 E350 that came with the standard USB-A ports. I was hoping to change the main USB port in front of the cup holders that is used for CarPlay to USB-C. I know USB-C is what the newer E-Class is now equipped with so I was hoping it would be a quick swap. I ordered part number A 247-820-38-02, which is the one mentioned in this thread (I've included photos of part below). I received it today and attempted the swap. While I could plug my phone in and it would charge, CarPlay would not initiate and my phone was not coming up as a connected device for CarPlay. I also tried my Carlinkit wireless CarPlay dongle and that also powered up but CarPlay would not initiate. Is there something I need to do to get it the new port to recognize? I did notice that like the photos posted above, my USB-A port has the icons and the number 0 on it, but the USB-C only has the phone icons but no number 0. Not sure if that matters. Thanks all.

Old 05-28-2024, 04:05 PM

2017 E 300 4MATIC
In doing some additional research, I'm wondering if the actual correct part number is A 247-820-46-02 for the USB-C port. When looking at video reviews of the 2021 to 2023 E Classes on YouTube, I noticed the port on the left with the icons to the right of the port (see attached screenshot from one of the videos). The part originally referenced in this thread has it the other way around as you see in the photos in my previous post. Perhaps that is the reason the CarPlay is not working?
Did you ever figure out what the issue was/what the correct replacement part is? I am looking to do this same replacement. Thanks in advance
Old 05-28-2024, 04:29 PM

2020 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by zakariyya
Did you ever figure out what the issue was/what the correct replacement part is? I am looking to do this same replacement. Thanks in advance
I ended up purchasing the other part I mentioned, however, I was still not able to get CarPlay to work. It powers on and I can charge my phone through the port, but it's still not being recognized to use CarPlay. I am not sure where the issue is as you'd think it's the exact same thing internally except just a different connector (USB-C vs USB-A). Perhaps there is something that needs to be "reset" or adjusted in the software? I have a 2020 E350, which was the last year before the refresh and I'm guessing 2021 is when they introduced USB-C and the updated MBUX system so maybe USB-C only works on the newer MBUX system? I'm thinking about bringing the part with me to my next service and seeing if the dealership can get it installed. Hopefully someone else on these forums has figured it out or has a suggestion on how to get to work.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:40 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by konigstiger
USB port is part # 2058202003
Is there a USB-C fast charger CarPlay model for the newer E class that would work with the 2017 models. My CarPlay constantly has issues where I need to unplug and replug for it to work. Sometimes even a bum in the road will disconnect it.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:17 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
Check your Comand software version. Most recent is version 6.8. After my car was updated to version 6.8, my vehicle's CarPlay works much better, connects faster and does not disconnect. There are a lot of threads on the forum about updating the Comand software (dealer has to do it).
Old 05-30-2024, 08:05 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27
Is there a USB-C fast charger CarPlay model for the newer E class that would work with the 2017 models. My CarPlay constantly has issues where I need to unplug and replug for it to work. Sometimes even a bum in the road will disconnect it.
You might consider getting a CarPlay adapter. Your issue may occur from slight movements of the cable USB plug due to vibrations from the road. The adapter works to make your connection wireless and could likely end this need to unplug and replug for your CarPlay to work.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by beechcamp
Check your Comand software version. Most recent is version 6.8. After my car was updated to version 6.8, my vehicle's CarPlay works much better, connects faster and does not disconnect. There are a lot of threads on the forum about updating the Comand software (dealer has to do it).
Thank you, I checked and have 5.08.00.00, will dealer still update even if car is out of warranty?
Old 05-31-2024, 07:20 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
I had mine updated each time a new version came out. The older, 1.xx etc. versions were slow to connect CarPlay (my previous E300 came with that version). Version 5.8 fixed much of that and 6.8 made it better. I think each dealer may be different when it comes to updates. I found that I had to be very clear with them that an update is available and I expect them to install it and I always had them do it during other service, such as an A service or B service. I found that complaining about CarPlay connections have been buggy and that I know M-B put out updated software so please install it helped get it done. The wording about buggy CarPlay seemed to be the trigger that got them to do it. Service Advisors are all different when it comes to understanding technology and some that don't have the grasp may have no understanding of the update so being firm and persistent is important.

I don't know about out of warranty, my car is CPO. If out of warranty they may want to charge you and then it's up to you as to whether it is worth the value, same as if they suggest you need new brakes.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by beechcamp
I had mine updated each time a new version came out. The older, 1.xx etc. versions were slow to connect CarPlay (my previous E300 came with that version). Version 5.8 fixed much of that and 6.8 made it better. I think each dealer may be different when it comes to updates. I found that I had to be very clear with them that an update is available and I expect them to install it and I always had them do it during other service, such as an A service or B service. I found that complaining about CarPlay connections have been buggy and that I know M-B put out updated software so please install it helped get it done. The wording about buggy CarPlay seemed to be the trigger that got them to do it. Service Advisors are all different when it comes to understanding technology and some that don't have the grasp may have no understanding of the update so being firm and persistent is important.

I don't know about out of warranty, my car is CPO. If out of warranty they may want to charge you and then it's up to you as to whether it is worth the value, same as if they suggest you need new brakes.
Thank you, greatly appreciated, I will give it a try, I have extended warranty ending next month so hopefully that helps.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I ended up purchasing the other part I mentioned, however, I was still not able to get CarPlay to work. It powers on and I can charge my phone through the port, but it's still not being recognized to use CarPlay. I am not sure where the issue is as you'd think it's the exact same thing internally except just a different connector (USB-C vs USB-A). Perhaps there is something that needs to be "reset" or adjusted in the software? I have a 2020 E350, which was the last year before the refresh and I'm guessing 2021 is when they introduced USB-C and the updated MBUX system so maybe USB-C only works on the newer MBUX system? I'm thinking about bringing the part with me to my next service and seeing if the dealership can get it installed. Hopefully someone else on these forums has figured it out or has a suggestion on how to get to work.
Couple of thoughts, my guess regarding the reversed connector sides is LH vs RH drive cars. Just a guess. Regarding the usb-c connector not working maybe the cable is different in some way? Or the data requirement to the control module has changed. Something to do with the change from 5.5 to 6.0. It might be worth checking to see if the cables have different part numbers. I work in the 12v industry and a lot of things have very specific requirements or may be tied to the canbus, if it doesn't see exactly what it's looking for it won't work. I'm working on a similar project for my '23 and can post the part numbers for the port and cable if it helps, should have these tomorrow. Hopefully the cable isn't bundled with 20 other things and costs $500.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:40 PM

Thank you, greatly appreciated, I will give it a try, I have extended warranty ending next month so hopefully that helps.
They updated my command system to latest version 6.80.00.40 for a change of $109. Unfortunately that didn’t solve my issue. My next step is to replace the USB-CarPlay port.as an FYI, I was informed by a professional shop that does coding, is not possible to upgrade to USB-C CarPlay port, I was hoping that wasn’t the case.

Old 06-17-2024, 03:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
They updated my command system to latest version 6.80.00.40 for a change of $109. Unfortunately that didn’t solve my issue. My next step is to replace the USB-CarPlay port.as an FYI, I was informed by a professional shop that does coding, is not possible to upgrade to USB-C CarPlay port, I was hoping that wasn’t the case.
There is always a way to do it. It just isn't going to be plug and play. I assume you are able to plug in a usb a to usb c adapter? (into your original usb a port)

Last edited by RACE_MX; 06-17-2024 at 05:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I broke my CarPlay USB port!