E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

W213 options you can do without (E class sedan)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2020 | 09:16 PM

E300-4matic
W213 options you can do without (E class sedan)

The following options imo are a true waste of money, 1) Warmth and Comfort Package-$1,050
2) Illuminated Door Sills-$350
3) Headup Display-$1,100
4) 4matic Drive-A 4 cylinder engine just doesn’t have enough torque to get itself out of a 2 inch snow bank-$2,500
5) Leather Seats-$1,600 to $4,500, a total waste of money since the only person that will know your seats are leather is you because when you put your butt on them you can’t tell the difference between mbtex and leather.
6) Save the money that you would have spent on the leather seats and spend it on a new set of Pirelli P7 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II XL tires, a set of 4 is about $825.
7) I have owned a 2017, 2018 and a 2019 E class sedans and speaking from experience I just ordered a 2021 options as follows:

Base model E class RWD - I4 with the following options:
1) Driver Assistance Pkg.
2) Premium Pkg.
3) MB-Tex Upper dash & door trim
4) 2 USB ports in rear seat
5) Heated steering wheel
6) Power Rear Sunshade
7) Adsptive high beam assist
8) Heated front seats
I live in the NE and I don’t drive in the snow as a 4 cylinder car just doesn’t have the necessary torque to get the job done. Good luck

Last edited by 1guitar; 12-10-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 04:03 AM

W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
1. Agree
2. It's still nice to have, i like it
3. It's a great option, i like it
4. Agree
5. There is a marked difference between nappa leather and Artico, but agree the artico is bulletproof and it's worthwhile to keep. Artico is the name we have , it's known as MB-Tex in USA
6. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-06-2020 | 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
I like ventilated... so how ya do that with MBTEX
Old 12-06-2020 | 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I have the luxury model so the upper dash and trim was standard. My wife does not like it. Go figure.

When I got my 2019 E450 to get the audio "beeping" when I park I had to add the parking assist. I have used the parking feature only once to see if it worked. It did, but I have never used it since. To me it is a waste of money, but I felt the audio "beeps" to be extremely useful so I would have added that feature.

As to 4matic: I hope you are correct. In the NE, including NJ, in the past several years I do not think I have ever seen a non 4matic E Class. I see E 300 4 matics all the time in snow and they seem to be doing fine. Of course last year, on Long Island where I live, there was no snow. But I use my car to go skiing so 4 matic is necessary. The 4matic also gives you better control in the wet, but it is marginal.

MBTex: I am absolutely sold on it. I always had leather until my last two Mercedes, both with MBTex. I do not find it either hot in the summer nor "brittle" in the winter and extremely easy to wipe clean. The ventilated seats in the E Class are not AC, but just air. To me the extra cost, you must add leather, is not worth it. My solution is just to turn down the AC one degree.

BTW, my other car, a Ford Edge Sport, has ventilated seats that actually blow AC air. It is kind of nice, but the cost was only a few hundred dollars and as I lease maybe $5 a month extra - no big deal. I would not pay too much more for this feature. When you get in the car, you turn in on, but once the car cools down, it turns off automatically after 15/20 minutes and you have forgotten about it. I have never bothered to turn it back on.

I know others will disagree about both MBTex and the ventilated seats, especially in the south, but were we live both are features I can do without.

Putting on snow tires: good idea plus 50/100 lbs of sand in the trunk will not hurt!

Last edited by JTK44; 12-06-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2020 | 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1guitar
The following options imo are a true waste of money, 1) Warmth and Comfort Package-$1,050
I totally agree, especially in Florida.

Agree

3) Headup Display-$1,100
Disagree. A HUD is a safety feature. I've had a HUD in all my cars for at least 15 years. I won't buy a car without one.

4) 4matic Drive-A 4 cylinder engine just doesn’t have enough torque to get itself out of a 2 inch snow bank-$2,500
Disagree. The engine is not a significant factor. 4Matic has saved me from soft sand and a tow truck many times.

5) Leather Seats-$1,600 to $4,500, a total waste of money since the only person that will know your seats are leather is you because when you put your butt on them you can’t tell the difference between mbtex and leather.
Disagree. I had MBTex on one car. It was terrible because it can't breath. I have ventilated leather seats so the back of my legs do not get damp and sticky. Yes, my butt can tell the difference.

6) Save the money that you would have spent on the leather seats and spend it on a new set of Pirelli P7 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II XL tires, a set of 4 is about $825.
My car came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires. At replacement time I bought the same tire in a non-RFT version.
Vehicles have options because everyone's requirements are different.{/b]

Old 12-06-2020 | 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Sounds like you don't like the 4 banger, why not just level up to the 450? I would also add the parking package if it is not standard.
Old 12-06-2020 | 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've never driven in snow and hardly ever experienced it. But I drive in sand frequently as I have for more than 50 years. I keep tires inflated to the factory recommended pressures.

Speed isn't the issue, but FYI the E300 is perfectly capable of speeds well above 130 mph. On my trip last year to Trier I cruised at 225 kph on the E42 in a rented E300.
Old 12-06-2020 | 03:59 PM

E300-4matic
It's called a governor

Originally Posted by ua549
I've never driven in snow and hardly ever experienced it. But I drive in sand frequently as I have for more than 50 years. I keep tires inflated to the factory recommended pressures.

Speed isn't the issue, but FYI the E300 is perfectly capable of speeds well above 130 mph. On my trip last year to Trier I cruised at 225 kph on the E42 in a rented E300.
Perhaps you live in Europe because in the USA all E class cars come equipped with a governor that only allows the car to cruise up to a maximum of 130mph, it's listed right on the MB USA website.
Old 12-06-2020 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Perhaps you live in Europe because in the USA all E class cars come equipped with a governor that only allows the car to cruise up to a maximum of 130mph, it's listed right on the MB USA website.
As I explicitly stated I was on a trip to Trier when I was driving a rented E300 on the E42 (autobahn) at 225 kph (140 mph). I live in Florida and my E300 hasn't left the city limits.
Old 12-06-2020 | 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Please keep the conversation civil or the thread will be closed. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2020 | 12:33 PM

E220d
I wish I have the heated steering wheel.
That's like an electric side mirrors, once you have it, you cannot do without.
The following 2 users liked this post by velryba:
JTK44 (12-07-2020), madtrader (12-07-2020)
Old 12-10-2020 | 11:48 PM

E300-4matic
The I4 is fine, but has its limitations

Originally Posted by places
Sounds like you don't like the 4 banger, why not just level up to the 450? I would also add the parking package if it is not standard.
I never said I don’t like the I4 but it has its limits as far as engines go. The E class isn’t exactly a racing car. IMo anyone who buys an E class to go 0 to 60 in 4 or 5 seconds is just throwing away their money.
Old 12-11-2020 | 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by JTK44
I have the luxury model so the upper dash and trim was standard. My wife does not like it. Go figure.

When I got my 2019 E450 to get the audio "beeping" when I park I had to add the parking assist. I have used the parking feature only once to see if it worked. It did, but I have never used it since. To me it is a waste of money, but I felt the audio "beeps" to be extremely useful so I would have added that feature.

As to 4matic: I hope you are correct. In the NE, including NJ, in the past several years I do not think I have ever seen a non 4matic E Class. I see E 300 4 matics all the time in snow and they seem to be doing fine. Of course last year, on Long Island where I live, there was no snow. But I use my car to go skiing so 4 matic is necessary. The 4matic also gives you better control in the wet, but it is marginal.

MBTex: I am absolutely sold on it. I always had leather until my last two Mercedes, both with MBTex. I do not find it either hot in the summer nor "brittle" in the winter and extremely easy to wipe clean. The ventilated seats in the E Class are not AC, but just air. To me the extra cost, you must add leather, is not worth it. My solution is just to turn down the AC one degree.

BTW, my other car, a Ford Edge Sport, has ventilated seats that actually blow AC air. It is kind of nice, but the cost was only a few hundred dollars and as I lease maybe $5 a month extra - no big deal. I would not pay too much more for this feature. When you get in the car, you turn in on, but once the car cools down, it turns off automatically after 15/20 minutes and you have forgotten about it. I have never bothered to turn it back on.

I know others will disagree about both MBTex and the ventilated seats, especially in the south, but were we live both are features I can do without.

Putting on snow tires: good idea plus 50/100 lbs of sand in the trunk will not hurt!
I love my ventilated seat, though when it's really hot it takes a long time for it to actually work (ie the interior needs to be cooled by a/c first)
but i agree on the cost of leather. personally i don't even like leather al that much but have it because of the ventilated seat.
so it does indeed become an expensive option if you don't really want leather

Old 12-11-2020 | 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by velryba
I wish I have the heated steering wheel.
That's like an electric side mirrors, once you have it, you cannot do without.
really ?
i never understood this option, to me it feels like it's a "what can we think of next" thing.
Old 12-11-2020 | 07:12 AM

E220d
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
really ?
i never understood this option, to me it feels like it's a "what can we think of next" thing.
Have you actually driven with it? ....... mind you.... you need to live in place where it does get cold

My sister has the Ford Smax with heated steering wheel and I have to say, till I have tried it then, for me it was as for you .... money grabbing potion.
And then, you sit in the car, waiting for the front screen to defrost. Heated seats on, we know how that feels..... nice. Let me try this money grabbing option then.
OH MY GOD!!!!!!
That feeling is hard to explain, something so velvety, not hot as expected, but a beautifully formed niceness in your hands.
Since then, I want to have it in each car along side DAB radio and memory seats

Small Print: I'm not an employee of Mercedes sales team, nor I sell upgraded heated steering wheels
The following users liked this post:
Egonvdv (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020 | 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never said I don’t like the I4 but it has its limits as far as engines go. The E class isn’t exactly a racing car. IMo anyone who buys an E class to go 0 to 60 in 4 or 5 seconds is just throwing away their money.
Most MB (non AMG) sedan drivers don't race their cars off the line, it's about passing. The ability to pass when needed or get out of a dangerous situation is worth the bump up in engines.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
hyperion667 (12-13-2020), ua549 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020 | 10:44 AM

S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by velryba
Have you actually driven with it? ....... mind you.... you need to live in place where it does get cold

My sister has the Ford Smax with heated steering wheel and I have to say, till I have tried it then, for me it was as for you .... money grabbing potion.
And then, you sit in the car, waiting for the front screen to defrost. Heated seats on, we know how that feels..... nice. Let me try this money grabbing option then.
OH MY GOD!!!!!!
That feeling is hard to explain, something so velvety, not hot as expected, but a beautifully formed niceness in your hands.
Since then, I want to have it in each car along side DAB radio and memory seats

Small Print: I'm not an employee of Mercedes sales team, nor I sell upgraded heated steering wheels
Agree to you up to a point on the heated steering wheel. However, there's a huge swing and a miss on the 2020 steering wheel, because the metal that surrounds the steering wheel buttons is not heated, and so the outside of one's thumbs rest against the cold metal. It probably wouldn't be that noticeable if the steering wheel wasn't heated.
Old 12-11-2020 | 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by murman
Agree to you up to a point on the heated steering wheel. However, there's a huge swing and a miss on the 2020 steering wheel, because the metal that surrounds the steering wheel buttons is not heated, and so the outside of one's thumbs rest against the cold metal. It probably wouldn't be that noticeable if the steering wheel wasn't heated.
Hardly a "huge" swing and miss. I have had and currently have a heated steering wheel and really enjoy it. If you are in a northern climate I definitely recommend it for the price. Overall it really costs nothing and makes a difference. Steering wheel on my w222 gets really warm and I have the metal buttons. I use mine almost all the time in cooler months. As for your hand resting on the metal and the metal not being heated, that's really trivial. Not enough reason to pass. MB is supposed to be a luxury experience after all.
Old 12-11-2020 | 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
The Warmth & Comfort Pkg is wonderful. The MB high end interiors, IMHO, are a real bargain, compared to what some other makers charge for similar versions. Sure, they are an indulgence, but one spends money on what they like and my wife and I love the Exclusive Nappa interiors. Here are two of them, in our SL & E Wagon:

The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
hyperion667 (12-13-2020), velryba (12-16-2020)
Old 12-12-2020 | 02:16 PM

S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by places
Hardly a "huge" swing and miss. I have had and currently have a heated steering wheel and really enjoy it. If you are in a northern climate I definitely recommend it for the price. Overall it really costs nothing and makes a difference. Steering wheel on my w222 gets really warm and I have the metal buttons. I use mine almost all the time in cooler months. As for your hand resting on the metal and the metal not being heated, that's really trivial. Not enough reason to pass. MB is supposed to be a luxury experience after all.
A luxury experience would not mean having well-below-freezing segments on the wheel that are metal and unheated. The rest of the heated wheel is great, don't get me wrong. but having the part of the wheel where the thumb rests unheated metal is an annoying oversight.

Old 12-12-2020 | 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by murman
A luxury experience would not mean having well-below-freezing segments on the wheel that are metal and unheated. The rest of the heated wheel is great, don't get me wrong. but having the part of the wheel where the thumb rests unheated metal is an annoying oversight.

I have had heated steering wheels on my last 4 cars and love them.

As I read the posting, and the complaints about the metal not being heated, I thought the steering wheel was different from mine. Now that I see the picture, the wheel is identical to mine.

Honestly, I never noticed that the switches on the wheel were not heated - but more importantly never expected them or the metal around them to be heated. In all my cars only the actual steering wheel has been heated. This is where my hands are.

I drive up in Vermont and in the morning the temps are below zero. I turned on the heated steering wheel, take off my gloves and enjoy the warmth.

Talk about 1st world problems!

Just my $.02
The following 2 users liked this post by JTK44:
CarFan1 (12-13-2020), velryba (12-16-2020)
Old 12-12-2020 | 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How long does it take for the car interior to warm, 5 minutes?

I my world I wish the steering wheel was cooled because it is too hot to touch after parking for awhile. My solution is remote start for 5 minutes to cool the car.

First world problems, indeed.
Old 12-12-2020 | 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JTK44
I have had heated steering wheels on my last 4 cars and love them.

As I read the posting, and the complaints about the metal not being heated, I thought the steering wheel was different from mine. Now that I see the picture, the wheel is identical to mine.

Honestly, I never noticed that the switches on the wheel were not heated - but more importantly never expected them or the metal around them to be heated. In all my cars only the actual steering wheel has been heated. This is where my hands are.

I drive up in Vermont and in the morning the temps are below zero. I turned on the heated steering wheel, take off my gloves and enjoy the warmth.

Talk about 1st world problems!

Just my $.02
My thoughts as well. I never imagined that the metal trim not being heated was an issue enough to thwart anyone from pursuing this option. Use voice control. Trivial IMO and just a reason to cheap out. Don't touch the metal and just use the wheel to warm your hands.

Personally I love the heated steering wheel and will opt for it whenever I can. Nice feature this time of year!!
The following users liked this post:
velryba (12-16-2020)
Old 12-12-2020 | 07:04 PM

2019 BMW 540, 2017 Mercedes-Benz E300 4-Matic
The following options imo are a true waste of money,
1) Warmth and Comfort Package-$1,050
3) Headup Display-$1,100
7) I have owned a 2017, 2018 and a 2019 E class sedans and speaking from experience I just ordered a 2021 options as follows:

Base model E class RWD - I4 with the following options:
1) Driver Assistance Pkg.
2) Premium Pkg.
3) MB-Tex Upper dash & door trim
4) 2 USB ports in rear seat
5) Heated steering wheel
6) Power Rear Sunshade
7) Adsptive high beam assist
8) Heated front seats
I live in the NE and I don’t drive in the snow as a 4 cylinder car just doesn’t have the necessary torque to get the job done. Good luck
1) Warmth and Comfort Package-$1,050
Being in Chicago, that's a must.
I can care less about this.
3) Headup Display-$1,100
I can care less about this.
Gotta have that for Chicago Winters.
I'd rather have MBTEX than Nappa leather (Currently have that in my E300. It sucks).
My car came with MICHELIN Primacy MXM4
Old 12-13-2020 | 12:24 AM

2019 E450 Wagon
I really like the warmth and comfort package. I used to think such things were frivolous myself. Then I moved to a colder climate. When your car has been parked outside overnight and it’s been down to -20F, it takes a long time to warm up. A seat heater is necessary. A heated steering wheel might mean you can take the gloves off and not lose feeling in your fingers. The heated arm rests just makes it comfy. I even special ordered the heated rear seats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W213 options you can do without (E class sedan)