E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Premium Burmester with added DSP Amplifier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 07:38 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Premium Burmester with added DSP Amplifier

Music to my ears, I finally added a Musway M12, 12- channel Class D Amplifier with 16- Channel DSP. They have a plug & play wire harness that connects directly to the factory harness. I have been researching for a long time and settled on this brand because they had an option for a Bluetooth module so you can manage the amplifier via an app on your phone.

I communicated with Steve from Allwoods Audio on Ebay from the UK for a couple of months. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. He has the same car and prewired, tuned and tested the amplifier prior to shipping it out. I purchase the Musway M12 DSP amplifier, the wire harness & power cables from him

Using the existing factory speakers and adding overhead tweeters, I am blown away by how much more amazing the system sounds. Having the ability at my fingertips to tune the amp on the fly is fantastic. You can make adjustments and save it as a different setting. So you can do one for Bluetooth, another for Carplay/Android Auto, and another for Satellite Radio.

Below are photos and step-by-step installation. Unlock boot/trunk and doors. Make sure you disconnect the positive/red battery terminal cable prior to installation.

Musway M12 box

Power connection kit

Unboxing

Unboxing, amp & user manual

Mounting plate

USB cable, fuses

Ports and connection points

Vent

Bluetooth module for app connection via phone

Wire harness, I added 2 addition channels with overhead tweeters

Allwoods info

Boot/Trunk trim for removal

Factory Bermester Amp on the left of my car, unscrew 4 nuts to get to the purple amp connection

Fuse box on the right of my car

Fuse box, on the right in my car, this is the top of the fuse box, remove the bottom screw and remove the fuse box

Fuse box, remove the nut holding the red power cable

Factory Burmester Amp, remove purple harness connection

Factory Burmester Amp, after removing purple harness connection. Connect to Amp harness, then connect the other end of am harness to factory Burmester amp

Ground/negative chassis connection, remove nut

Ground/negative chassis connection. After removing cable, add negative wire from amp and tighten nut

Last edited by kingscorpian27; 07-03-2022 at 07:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by kingscorpian27:
e55phil (07-04-2022), Frank Rizzo (07-05-2022), TennesseeZ4 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27
Music to my ears, I finally added a Musway M12, 12- channel Class D Amplifier with 16- Channel DSP. They have a plug & play wire harness that connects directly to the factory harness. I have been researching for a long time and settled on this brand because they had an option for a Bluetooth module so you can manage the amplifier via an app on your phone.

I communicated with Steve from Allwoods Audio on Ebay from the UK for a couple of months. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. He has the same car and prewired, tuned and tested the amplifier prior to shipping it out. I purchase the Musway M12 DSP amplifier, the wire harness & power cables from him

Below are photos and step-by-step installation. Unlock boot/trunk and doors. Make sure you disconnect the positive/red battery terminal cable prior to installation.

Musway M12 box

Power connection kit

Unboxing

Unboxing, amp & user manual

Mounting plate

USB cable, fuses

Ports and connection points

Vent

Bluetooth module for app connection via phone

Wire harness, I added 2 addition channels with overhead tweeters

Allwoods info

Factory Bermester Amp on the left of my car, unscrew 4 nuts to get to the purple amp connection

Fuse box on the right of my car

Fuse box, on the right in my car, this is the top of the fuse box, remove the bottom screw and remove the fuse box

Fuse box, remove the nut holding the red power cable

Factory Burmester Amp, remove purple harness connection

Factory Burmester Amp, after removing purple harness connection. Connect to Amp harness, then connect the other end of am harness to factory Burmester amp

Ground/negative chassis connection, remove nut

Ground/negative chassis connection. After removing cable, add negative wire from amp and tighten nut
Somehow I was unable to add the last set of photos. I will try them another time

Factory Burmester amp reinstalled with harnesses connected

Musway M12 installed under storage compartment in the boot/trunk. Bluetooth module connected for App control via cell phone

Musway M12 installed under storage compartment in the boot/trunk. Bluetooth module connected for App control via cell phone. USB cable connected for Laptop

OEM Burmester Overhead tweeters

Musway app,

Musway app

Musway M12 box back with specs

Fuse box, Orange Amp power wire connected to red fuse box wire.
I just added a quick video with my dash cam in 720 due to size limit. Please listen and be the judge. The 1st couple seconds is the stock Burmester then the 16 channel DSP amp is turned on via Bluetooth.
Attached Files

Last edited by kingscorpian27; 12-07-2023 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Frank Rizzo (07-05-2022)
Old 11-20-2023, 04:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Is the overhead tweeter from an S Class?
Old 11-20-2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
Is the overhead tweeter from an S Class?
W213 , E class, I am uncertain if it’s an option for the S class.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:57 PM

2009 C350
W213 , E class, I am uncertain if it’s an option for the S class.
So that came standard. WOW.

I've heard from some C-Class owners that the speakers and amp are not Burmester but outsourced.

Doing research on what's actually in these cars...
Old 11-20-2023, 05:08 PM

So that came standard. WOW.

I've heard from some C-Class owners that the speakers and amp are not Burmester but outsourced.

Doing research on what's actually in these cars...
Only the Burmester 3D has the overhead tweeters. My W213 E300 Luxury Model came with Burmester Premium. I added the OEM overhead tweeters and the Musway DSP amplifier I detailed in the original post.

I have never personally heard the Burmester 3D system, however I am pretty certain it does not sound as great as mine does now with the Musway DSP and added tweeters.
The following 2 users liked this post by kingscorpian27:
La0laEsMia (11-20-2023), Nicholi2007 (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e300
Can you stream in Apx HD? I love the sound of the Burmester, but scrolling through a large Flac collection can be quite tedious with the onboard player. The back button doesn’t take one back to the last spot in their music file, rather I have to go through a tedious process of selecting the music source, then folders, and start scrolling from the beginning after each song selection. I would love to stream lossless music straight to the speakers.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:31 PM

2009 C350
Only the Burmester 3D has the overhead tweeters. My W213 E300 Luxury Model came with Burmester Premium. I added the OEM overhead tweeters and the Musway DSP amplifier I detailed in the original post.

I have never personally heard the Burmester 3D system, however I am pretty certain it does not sound as great as mine does now with the Musway DSP and added tweeters.
How soon I forget. My bad. I should be able to track down the part numbers.
Engineers are usually at the mercy of what marketing wants for the general public. That's a pricey amp
but I believe it. Custom tuning is the way.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by esee
Can you stream in Apx HD? I love the sound of the Burmester, but scrolling through a large Flac collection can be quite tedious with the onboard player. The back button doesn’t take one back to the last spot in their music file, rather I have to go through a tedious process of selecting the music source, then folders, and start scrolling from the beginning after each song selection. I would love to stream lossless music straight to the speakers.
I use Apple Lossless code (ALAC) exclusively, I stream via Bluetooth or connected via Apple CarPlay, sounds absolutely amazing.

Below are the part #’s and prices I paid back then. Remove the sunshade holder and replace with these part. If not, it will cost a whole lot more to get the entire overhead console that accommodates the overhead tweeters.

213-820-10-02
Speaker
$63.44
2 needed
$126.88

000-690-06-00
Speaker Grille
$157.95
1 needed
$157.95

Last edited by kingscorpian27; 11-20-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Nicholi2007 (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e300
I use Apple Lossless code (ALAC) exclusively, I stream via Bluetooth or connected via Apple CarPlay, sounds absolutely amazing.

Below are the part #’s and prices I paid back then. Remove the sunshade holder and replace with these part. If not, it will cost a whole lot more to get the entire overhead console that accommodates the overhead tweeters.

213-820-10-02
Speaker
$63.44
2 needed
$126.88

000-690-06-00
Speaker Grille
$157.95
1 needed
$157.95
I agree with you that the lossless music still sounds great over lousy Bluetooth, as somehow the lousiness of Bluetooth is not nearly as bad as mp3s lousiness. I enjoy the convenience of the music in the car without the need of my phone, I really hoped to figure out a way to make the back button go back into the last folder I was in.

I doubt that I’m going to install tweets into my roof. But how did you connect them to the head unit? Are there wires already in the roof?

Old 11-20-2023, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by esee
I agree with you that the lossless music still sounds great over lousy Bluetooth, as somehow the lousiness of Bluetooth is not nearly as bad as mp3s lousiness. I enjoy the convenience of the music in the car without the need of my phone, I really hoped to figure out a way to make the back button go back into the last folder I was in.

I doubt that I’m going to install tweets into my roof. But how did you connect them to the head unit? Are there wires already in the roof?
I had to run speaker wires from that location overhead to the amplifier. The Musway has a wire harness option that connects directly to the OEM Burmester. The wire harnesses are vehicle model and Murmester model specific. The vendor I purchased the DSP amplifier from did all the preliminary connections and wires, I did all the installation myself. He has the same car so also tuned DSP in his car. I then fine tuned to my preference once I was done
Old 11-21-2023, 10:45 AM

2009 C350
🔥 @kingscorpian27 Thanks for the part numbers! You're the man.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:06 PM

🔥 @kingscorpian27 Thanks for the part numbers! You're the man.
FYI, unless you run direct wires to the overhead tweeters, they are useless because you’ll be unable to hear them if you slit the dash speaker wires. I initially did that and couldn’t hear them unless my ears were just about right by them.

Once I installed the DSP amplifier and had the left and right on their own channel, the difference in sound is amazing. I have them tuned that I hear crisp clear vocals and highs through them with the door speakers/tweeters in the foreground.
Nicholi2007 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 03:43 PM

2009 C350
FYI, unless you run direct wires to the overhead tweeters, they are useless because you’ll be unable to hear them if you slit the dash speaker wires. I initially did that and couldn’t hear them unless my ears were just about right by them.

Once I installed the DSP amplifier and had the left and right on their own channel, the difference in sound is amazing. I have them tuned that I hear crisp clear vocals and highs through them with the door speakers/tweeters in the foreground.
I can see that in order to achieve equilibrium. I've never run tweeters in a roof before. Headliners can be tricky. I have several Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CDs that I would love to hear with this system.

Sounds like a very immersive experience! Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:49 PM

I can see that in order to achieve equilibrium. I've never run tweeters in a roof before. Headliners can be tricky. I have several Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CDs that I would love to hear with this system.

Sounds like a very immersive experience! Thanks for all the info.

It actually wasn’t difficult at all and well worth the effort getting it done. My first car in 30 years that I have kept for more that 2-3 years. This was a P3 optioned car with Distronic Plus semiautonomous driving system. I have also added quite a bit of software upgrades too to keep me interested in it. It’s in its 7th year with only 38 K + miles on it so will keep for a minimum on 10 years. Just added a quick video so you can listen to the difference. Also limited to dash cam sound.

Last edited by kingscorpian27; 12-07-2023 at 11:14 PM.