New S213 with 6000km and cupping tires already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 03:47 PM
tyo

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
S213 200e 4Matic
New S213 with 6000km and cupping tires already

Since around 1000km….actually even earlier tires started making really weird whistling noise especially the one at the driver side.

Speed doesn’t matter really as noise starts as low as 20km/h. Considering I have Acoustic Package, noise is just horrendous.

Finally, I was able to get the car to the service, yesterday. Mechanic said that suspension is fine and they can’t hear anything. So I asked to go with the Service Master for a ride. He said that it is normal to hear such a sound from the tires even when one drives 20km/h!!!! No comment on that. So I left perplexed!

Today, I went to my local tire shop who have been doing my tires for last 12 years! I asked them to check front left tire!!! Guy jacked up the driver side then he slid his hand of the tire and said that he can’t do anything with it as the tire is cupped.

Worst is front left, then front right and both rear tires are all scalloped! After only 6000km on the clock!

I called the dealer and logged a complain. Either tires are rubbish or perhaps something is wrong with the suspension!!! I hope Mercedes would agree to replace the tires.

Car came with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 245/45/18 100. Guy at Tire shop said that those are one of the worst together with Dunlop. He recommended Continental, Pirelli or Michelin.

I will update you once I get this sorted!
Old 07-14-2022, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
What is your tire pressure set at? Does your suspension bounce more than it should? I had a BMW that ate front tires and the dealer was never able to find the problem. Hopefully, your problem is just bad tires. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:28 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Originally Posted by The G Man
What is your tire pressure set at? Does your suspension bounce more than it should? I had a BMW that ate front tires and the dealer was never able to find the problem. Hopefully, your problem is just bad tires. Good luck.
Pressure is set to 2,6 bar as recommended on the fuel cap. Strange by lowest should be 2,6 bar.

Regarding the Air Matic, I believe that it bounces a bit too much. I had Q7 with pneumatic suspension which bounces less however those are completely different cars.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by tyo
Pressure is set to 2,6 bar as recommended on the fuel cap. Strange by lowest should be 2,6 bar.

Regarding the Air Matic, I believe that it bounces a bit too much. I had Q7 with pneumatic suspension which bounces less however those are completely different cars.
Sounds like you might have an alignment or balancing problem, this could also be cause by a lot of hard driving. I would get a four wheel alignment and balance, that will not fix the cupping but it might prevent it from getting worst. .
Old 07-15-2022, 10:04 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Sounds like you might have an alignment or balancing problem, this could also be cause by a lot of hard driving. I would get a four wheel alignment and balance, that will not fix the cupping but it might prevent it from getting worst. .
Thanks for the tip!

I will buy a new set of tires. Michelin or Pirelli not sure yet.
Dealer told me that they would need to send the faulty tires to the manufacturer to asses them. Whole process takes 2 weeks. Anyway I wouldn’t put those tires back on my car. So if the manufacturer considers the tires as faulty then I will ask for a set of winter tires. If not then I will let the dealer to keep the tires. I just don’t want to stay two weeks without a car this is all.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by tyo
Thanks for the tip!

I will buy a new set of tires. Michelin or Pirelli not sure yet.
Dealer told me that they would need to send the faulty tires to the manufacturer to asses them. Whole process takes 2 weeks. Anyway I wouldn’t put those tires back on my car. So if the manufacturer considers the tires as faulty then I will ask for a set of winter tires. If not then I will let the dealer to keep the tires. I just don’t want to stay two weeks without a car this is all.
cannot go wrong with either michelin or pirelli, both touring versions are better than the oem goodyear F1 performance all season. Might be a good idea to check the alignment after putting the new tires on, it will eliminate another possibility if the cupping comes back.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:34 PM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
cannot go wrong with either michelin or pirelli, both touring versions are better than the oem goodyear F1 performance all season. Might be a good idea to check the alignment after putting the new tires on, it will eliminate another possibility if the cupping comes back.
Alignment for sure!
My Goodyear F1 are summer tires, not all season which is even more weird.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:12 PM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Got my tires changed, today.

Put Michelin Primacy 4, 245/45/18!!!

Unfortunately, “lovely” noise didn’t go away. Arranged another appointment for Monday. Dealer has no excuses, now. Last time tires were blamed for being noisy.

I had to buy new set of the tires myself. Dealer told me that even if I want to send Goodyear set to the manufacturer for sure blame will be put on my driving. No comment on that!

I will keep you posted!

Last edited by tyo; 07-29-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by tyo
Got my tires changed, today.

Put Michelin Primacy 4, 245/45/18!!!

Unfortunately, “lovely” noise didn’t go away. Arranged another appointment for Monday. Dealer has no excuses, now. Last time tires were blamed for being noisy.

I had to buy new set of the tires myself. Dealer told me that even if I want to send Goodyear set to the manufacturer for sure blame will be put on my driving. No comment on that!

I will keep you posted!
at least your tires are not cupped anymore. Tires usually do not make whistling noise, sounds like you have a bad seal somewhere.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:53 PM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
at least your tires are not cupped anymore. Tires usually do not make whistling noise, sounds like you have a bad seal somewhere.
True about the tires. I doubt about the seal though.

Noise is heard even at 20km/h. It doesn’t matter if you accelerate or just rolling. Actually after the tires change, noise is even louder! Or this is just my feeling.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by tyo
True about the tires. I doubt about the seal though.

Noise is heard even at 20km/h. It doesn’t matter if you accelerate or just rolling. Actually after the tires change, noise is even louder! Or this is just my feeling.
So you know the whistling is not from the tires and the seals, if there is no noise when car is park, it might be something in the wheel bearings or brakes. Unfortunately, it is not loud enough for Mercedes to take action,
Old 07-30-2022, 05:58 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
So you know the whistling is not from the tires and the seals, if there is no noise when car is park, it might be something in the wheel bearings or brakes. Unfortunately, it is not loud enough for Mercedes to take action,
Indeed, I bet on wheel bearing or brakes, too.

It is loud, service master could hear it last time and blamed it on the tires. Noise didn’t go away so this time, he would need to look further.

Anyway I will update once I have more information.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by tyo
Indeed, I bet on wheel bearing or brakes, too.

It is loud, service master could hear it last time and blamed it on the tires. Noise didn’t go away so this time, he would need to look further.

Anyway I will update once I have more information.
The cupped tires might be a symptom of bad wheel bearing or damaged suspension parts. If the problem is not found, the same cupping will happen to the new tires.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:47 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
The cupped tires might be a symptom of bad wheel bearing or damaged suspension parts. If the problem is not found, the same cupping will happen to the new tires.
I do hope dealer finds the issue. I had to pay for the new tires and changing them.
I did ask them what they will do if same thing happens as I won’t keep buying new set of tires every few thousands kilometres.

Last time, I was told that suspension is fine and no issues with the bearings. Noise was blamed on the tires. This time they won’t have such excuse. Once they find the reason, I will ask for refund of two sets of tires. Or just full set of winter tires with wheels.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by tyo
I do hope dealer finds the issue. I had to pay for the new tires and changing them.
I did ask them what they will do if same thing happens as I won’t keep buying new set of tires every few thousands kilometres.

Last time, I was told that suspension is fine and no issues with the bearings. Noise was blamed on the tires. This time they won’t have such excuse. Once they find the reason, I will ask for refund of two sets of tires. Or just full set of winter tires with wheels.
Good luck with that
The following users liked this post:
tyo (07-30-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 02:06 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Small update.

Yesterday, I had another test drive with the service master. This time he heard the noise although it was there last time but he blamed it on the tires. Left the car with them.

Mechanic couldn’t locate where the noise is coming from. I was told that they will have another drive with microphones installed on different places. Bearing seems fine at least this is what I was told. Saga continues!!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I had a new amg do that especially braking at slow speeds sounded like a truck. Not sure what it was. Never figured it out.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:43 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Quick update!

Dealer couldn’t find the reason for the noise. Dealer said that they will contact Mercedes central in Germany. Meanwhile they will try to get to test drive same car.
I will give it back in September as I can’t be left without a car.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:02 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
I took my car to a different dealer. This time, they did listen what I had to say.

few issues:

1. AirMatic kept calibrating itself and few kilometres although I drive in town max 70km/h - issue resolved by changing the control unit. I was told that old one was living a life on its on.
I am certain that this fault has caused my first set of tires to get cupped! I will file a complain to MB.

2. Going over bumps even small ones causes quite odd rear suspension sound. Like it is hitting the top caps, not sure if this is how are called. Dealer said they fix it only for me to drive home and actually hear even worse squeaking sound.

3. Noise from front driver sound as described earlier.
Mechanic told the service man that this is from tires. I was told same already 3 times from different dealer. Luckily, they used their common sense and chained all wheels from different car and got same result. Annoying sound from 20km/h which becomes louder when driving at 130km/h. They couldn’t locate it. However have something in their mind that might cause the sound.
quote: “ Engine might not be properly seated and gives vibrations to the body. Rear suspension issues.”

Comment about engine worried me to be fair.

Giving car back on 14.11 and will update this tread once I have more information.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Tyo, sounds like your rear suspension is bottoming out and your air matic is eating up your tires. Hopefully the new control unit will fix the tire problem but there might be a leaking in your rear air suspension.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:23 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Thank you, G man!

Indeed rear suspension is bottoming out. While at dealer, they have checked the AirMatic and they didn’t notice any issues with shock absorbers or damaged parts.

I do have more confidence in them and hopefully soon all will be fixed!

Last edited by tyo; 11-07-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:07 PM

Received 171 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Good luck getting it resolved for once and for all. Not fun to go through with a new car.
The following users liked this post:
tyo (11-07-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
I had a 2014 CLS550 which the front air suspension kept bottoming out. I had two dealers looked at it and they found nothing. I ended up trading in the car for a jaguar with conventional suspension.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by tyo
Small update.

Yesterday, I had another test drive with the service master. This time he heard the noise although it was there last time but he blamed it on the tires. Left the car with them.

Mechanic couldn’t locate where the noise is coming from. I was told that they will have another drive with microphones installed on different places. Bearing seems fine at least this is what I was told. Saga continues!!!!
Microphones, really? is that something that they (can) do ?
Old 11-08-2022, 04:00 PM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
Microphones, really? is that something that they (can) do ?
Yes, they place them at different points where they suspect the noise might comes from.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New S213 with 6000km and cupping tires already