E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

How to determine if an E-Class has Drive Pilot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volt
How to determine if an E-Class has Drive Pilot

I'm looking into what to do for my next vehicle - I have a 2010 GLK 4Matic currently. I want an SUV but I'd like my next vehicle to have Drive Pilot for long highway drives. I don't want to break the bank with something new. I've been looking at the 2017-2019 E-Class. Is there an easy way to tell if one has Drive Pilot? Does it come with a certain option package (if so, what is the name?). Or, is there a way I can determine it from pictures or the VIN, etc. This would be really helpful!
Old 02-01-2023, 04:28 PM

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
There are a number of ways to see if an E Class has what I think you are looking for. Although you mention "Drive Pilot", that actual package was only just announced for brand-new Mercedes vehicles. What I think you are looking for is Distronic Plus driving capability. With Distronic the car keeps its lane, speed will adapt to vehicles in front, the car can stop itself in stop and go traffic, etc. Distronic is fabulous in my opinion and I always look for cars that have that option package.

When I search I do the following things, in no particular order, and I'm sure other folks have tips as well:
  • Do a VIN check and look for Distronic Plus (233 on my car, for example) and or Driving Assistance Plus (P20 on my car)
  • Look for cars with Premium Package 3 (on the sell sheet). Premium Package 3 (P3) includes Distronic. Premium Packages 1 and 2 do not necessarily have Distronic unless the original owner added it to their build separately
  • You may have to search hard for these vehicles as most original owners don't go for Premium Package 3 as it adds >$10,000 to the price of a new E-Class
  • If you are searching dealers you will find some dealers never have cars with P3 and others actually have them in stock routinely. Some dealers' used inventory sites have filters that allow you to filter for option packages to allow you to quickly see if any of their cars have P3
Good luck!

Last edited by beechcamp; 02-01-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Drive Pilot is semi autonomous driving. Does any 2022 and older W213 have this? I don’t think so.

Distronic is not semi autonomous driving.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:07 PM

Volt
This is the feature I am referring to: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-driving-suite. It's also called Distronic Plus.

Last edited by ASP93; 02-01-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:11 PM

Volt
Originally Posted by beechcamp
There are a number of ways to see if an E Class has what I think you are looking for. Although you mention "Drive Pilot", that actual package was only just announced for brand-new Mercedes vehicles. What I think you are looking for is Distronic Plus driving capability. With Distronic the car keeps its lane, speed will adapt to vehicles in front, the car can stop itself in stop and go traffic, etc. Distronic is fabulous in my opinion and I always look for cars that have that option package.

When I search I do the following things, in no particular order, and I'm sure other folks have tips as well:
  • Do a VIN check and look for Distronic Plus (233 on my car, for example) and or Driving Assistance Plus (P20 on my car)
  • Look for cars with Premium Package 3 (on the sell sheet). Premium Package 3 (P3) includes Distronic. Premium Packages 1 and 2 do not necessarily have Distronic unless the original owner added it to their build separately
  • You may have to search hard for these vehicles as most original owners don't go for Premium Package 3 as it adds >$10,000 to the price of a new E-Class
  • If you are searching dealers you will find some dealers never have cars with P3 and others actually have them in stock routinely. Some dealers' used inventory sites have filters that allow you to filter for option packages to allow you to quickly see if any of their cars have P3
Good luck!
This is helpful! Thank you!
Old 02-01-2023, 05:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
'19 E300 w/ activated Multibeam
If you are searching for vehicles online without a full description of options on the vehicle, then look for the following things:
  • Mercedes star in the front grill should be flush within the circle and not a physical star (see photo)
  • At the top of the windshield, you should see two cameras
  • On the steering wheel look for the cruise control buttons on the left side of the wheel, under the on/off button for cruise control you should see a switch with lane markings that allow you to increase or decrease following distance. (see photo)

Old 02-01-2023, 06:36 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Interesting... The drivers assistance package has the features that make up what I believe the OP is looking for. The steering wheel pic with the control for it that you shared is slightly different than the ones I have seen (including the CPO E450 that I will soon be receiving). See attached.

Bottom right below the home button.

From a build sheet.

Last edited by ddeliber; 02-01-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:34 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 A220 2023 E450 Cabriolet
The first picture posted is for the earlier version of DISTRONIC. The second is of the current version at least on our E450 Cabriolet.
The following users liked this post:
ddeliber (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:14 PM

looking at E Series
I am currently looking at a 2017 e300 with premium 3, which includes distronic. I have found everyone's responses on this thread to be helpful - thank y'all. This package is also important to me, as I log a lot of highway miles.

*I am scheduled to test drive the vehicle early next week (as soon as the DFW weather clears) and I am very interested in any suggestions about what to check-out on the vehicle and especially interested in suggestions on how to test the distronic. I look forward to everyone's thoughts

* two observations from my research thus far: 1) the 2017 distronic controls are different from both pictures above (they are on the cruise control lever - distance is set by rotating the lever) and 2) the term "Drive Pilot" was being used in 2017 (it is specifically addressed in the 2017 E Class Owners Manual pdf I'm reading - page 167) - I suspect they used it for a year and then shelved the term?
Old 02-02-2023, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,570 Posts
2019 C63CS
The term "Drive Pilot" may have been temporarily used in the past and then shelved as said. Drive Pilot now refers to the new Level 3 system available starting next year in the EQS and new S Class in the USA (already available in Germany now). OP is referring to DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist, which is part of the Driving Assistance Pkg. There are different generations. Used to be controlled via a stalk on the steering wheel column, but then moved to the steering wheel as physical buttons with a small touchpad and now on the even newer models they've become awful capacitive buttons. Post #6 lists all the things that give it away. Easiest to tell is by the stereo camera behind the rearview mirror. Cars w/o it only have a single camera there. And the other one is the Mercedes Star which is painted and hides the front radar sensor behind it for DISTRONIC, whereas in cars w/o it it's a 3D star. If you use a VIN decoder then look for DISTRONIC, Active Steering Assist, Driver Assistance Package options. If you can get the Monroney Sticker it'll be listed on there as well.

BTW, you also wanna make sure it has the navigation system, because w/o it the features are not as advanced. For example with the navigation system it knows what kind of road you are driving on currently and on divided highways it allows hands free driving for up to 30 seconds. The automatic lane change also only works if it has navigation data, because like the extended hands free operation, automatic lane changes only work on divided highways. Similarly, the route based speed adaptation which automatically slows the car down for curves, intersections, exits etc. requires navigation data.

I don't know which generation system the PFL W213 had. The FL W213 definitely has an updated one, but not sure about the prior model years. The system I have in my 2019 C63S is a later generation, and it does all of the above. But I know the older generation prior to mine wasn't as capable.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-02-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:46 PM

Volt
This is all really helpful! Thanks for the information everyone. Was this feature ever rolled out to the GLC?
Old 02-02-2023, 04:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 165 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
Yes the GLC came out with distronic plus.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,570 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ASP93
This is all really helpful! Thanks for the information everyone. Was this feature ever rolled out to the GLC?
Yes, it's available across the model range as most of the MB tech is.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
I had feature in my 2010 (I believe this was the first year it was available in the E-class). It was probably my favorite option with the lighting package coming in a close second. This is way before any other car makers that I was able to find. I have since tried a few others out and none came close to the implementation - smooth acceleration, quick accurate detection etc. It was even able to detect cars cutting me off but you still need to keep an eye out as it can be hard on the brakes if they come in too close.

If Mercedes can deliver a complex feature like this so well 13 years ago, why would the ever choose to use the stupid capacitive steering wheel controls that work like 50% of the time is beyond me!

Last edited by ddeliber; 02-02-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by superswiss
The term "Drive Pilot" may have been temporarily used in the past and then shelved as said. Drive Pilot now refers to the new Level 3 system available starting next year in the EQS and new S Class in the USA (already available in Germany now). OP is referring to DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist, which is part of the Driving Assistance Pkg. There are different generations. Used to be controlled via a stalk on the steering wheel column, but then moved to the steering wheel as physical buttons with a small touchpad and now on the even newer models they've become awful capacitive buttons. Post #6 lists all the things that give it away. Easiest to tell is by the stereo camera behind the rearview mirror. Cars w/o it only have a single camera there. And the other one is the Mercedes Star which is painted and hides the front radar sensor behind it for DISTRONIC, whereas in cars w/o it it's a 3D star. If you use a VIN decoder then look for DISTRONIC, Active Steering Assist, Driver Assistance Package options. If you can get the Monroney Sticker it'll be listed on there as well.

BTW, you also wanna make sure it has the navigation system, because w/o it the features are not as advanced. For example with the navigation system it knows what kind of road you are driving on currently and on divided highways it allows hands free driving for up to 30 seconds. The automatic lane change also only works if it has navigation data, because like the extended hands free operation, automatic lane changes only work on divided highways. Similarly, the route based speed adaptation which automatically slows the car down for curves, intersections, exits etc. requires navigation data.

I don't know which generation system the PFL W213 had. The FL W213 definitely has an updated one, but not sure about the prior model years. The system I have in my 2019 C63S is a later generation, and it does all of the above. But I know the older generation prior to mine wasn't as capable.
The W213 always has nav in the US, and on other models requires nav to get distronic plus. The package always includes things like the route based speed adaptation you're refering to.

And yes, the term "drive pilot" was used in late 2016 and early 2017 to describe the newer generation of distronic plus that was launched on the 213, which included the on demand auto lane change and a much upgraded steering assist logic vs earlier W212, W205 and W222 models. MotoManTV has a great video from the press launch of the W213 and it was clearly advertised as "drive pilot". They stopped using that term after a few months but have reintroduced it for the newer level three system on the S and EQS
Diesel Benz (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
I'm looking into what to do for my next vehicle - I have a 2010 GLK 4Matic currently. I want an SUV but I'd like my next vehicle to have Drive Pilot for long highway drives. I don't want to break the bank with something new. I've been looking at the 2017-2019 E-Class. Is there an easy way to tell if one has Drive Pilot? Does it come with a certain option package (if so, what is the name?). Or, is there a way I can determine it from pictures or the VIN, etc. This would be really helpful!
What you are looking for is called the Drivers Assistance pkg. Not very common on the E Class, but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere. The big giveaway in the flat 2 dimensional star in the grille as opposed to the 3 dimensional star on the cars without the pkg
Old 02-03-2023, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
I've been looking at the 2017-2019 E-Class. Is there an easy way to tell if one has Drive Pilot? Does it come with a certain option package (if so, what is the name?). Or, is there a way I can determine it from pictures or the VIN, etc. This would be really helpful!
Code 233

PPL1 (02-04-2023)