E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Service Costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 08:44 PM

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts
2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by JTK44
In the US, OEM are unionized to a great degree. The cost of health car is a direct cost to the OEM in the US.
My information on this may be outdated, but from what I know, not a single plant of a foreign-branded automaker, is unionized. This includes Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Mercedes, BMW, VW etc.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Here is the way I look at it:

To run the Canadian health care per capita is under $600 per person.

In the US per capita is over $2300 per person.

see: https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...e-payer-system

and:

https://time.com/5759972/health-care...trative-costs/

In the US, OEM are unionized to a great degree. The cost of health car is a direct cost to the OEM in the US.

In Canada that health care cost is not a cost of the OEM.

Simply, the cost of labor in Canada to produce a car is significantly less than in the US, even if the hourly wage is higher because the cost of health care is not an expense.
Yeah, we're talking about two different things though, I'm just talking about the cost of oil and the service charges in Service A and it's a bit higher than the US. There's certain things in Canada that are cheaper like health care but they tack on taxes on certain things to pay for it. We don't so it's cheaper for oil and services in the US. Of course manufacturing has been leaving the US for decades because it's cheaper in foreign countries. So not unreasonable to see that their cost of Service A is about double that in the US.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 e400
To be clear, the $525 cost of an A Service here in Ontario does NOT include sales taxes (although I'm sure the dealer has their associated taxes buried inside this). Sales tax, or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is another 13% or $68.25, bringing the total to $593 for essentially an oil change with a fancy waiting room and free espresso. However, I'm not complaining about the income and sales taxes here. I was born and raised in the US and have been here for over 20 years now. I'm happy to pay the higher taxes for excellent quality healthcare. Over my time here my wife and I have had several health issues, treatments and surgeries and I've only had to take my wallet out to show my health card. There is tremendous peace of mind in not worrying about bankruptcy due to an unexpected health issue.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 E450 All Terrain
Just got my A Service done on my 2022 All Terrain by Mercedes Manhattan. $487 for the service, plus $37 for the NYS inspection, plus tax = $567. The dealer actually suggested I replace my wiper blades but I declined the service since my car is only 1 year old and the wiper blades work fine!
Old 04-30-2023, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Druid1
Just got my A Service done on my 2022 All Terrain by Mercedes Manhattan. $487 for the service, plus $37 for the NYS inspection, plus tax = $567. The dealer actually suggested I replace my wiper blades but I declined the service since my car is only 1 year old and the wiper blades work fine!
I see you are in NYC.

For your next service, the "B" service suggest that check out either Silver Star in LIC, or Rallye in Roslyn: you should save about 50%:

If you do not want to drive, I think they will pick and return your car. Rallye will also wash your car.

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
BoMB (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,451 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I see you are in NYC.

For your next service, the "B" service suggest that check out either Silver Star in LIC, or Rallye in Roslyn: you should save about 50%:

If you do not want to drive, I think they will pick and return your car. Rallye will also wash your car.

Good Luck!
nice they have that type of service, you don't find that in Canada, you guys also have service coupons that aren't usually found in Canada too.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Druid1
Wiper blades typically last only about 6 months to a year. But you should just get a set from FCPEuro. Lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell so once the wiper blades wear out, mail them back for a free new set, basically costs you shipping.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
After 6 years my wiper blades are soft, pliable and working like new - no streaks, misses, smears. I'm in Florida and they get a daily workout during the 5 month rainy season. The car never sits in the sun either.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,451 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by ua549
After 6 years my wiper blades are soft, pliable and working like new - no streaks, misses, smears. I'm in Florida and they get a daily workout during the 5 month rainy season. The car never sits in the sun either.
now that is not bad...
Old 05-04-2023, 04:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
I could use new wiper blades. They weren't recommended during my last two services, but it's about time. Currently I have whatever came with the car, but I was thinking of getting the RainX wiper blades. I've had them on other cars, and along with the RainX spray, between the two rain would run away from my windshield, LOL.

As far as the service, I have to get my spark plugs replaced (off-service, or else I can wait until the next service which will be 10k miles from now, at approximately 67k miles). The car hadn't been used in about 3 weeks, and when I started it up and pulled out of the garage, as soon as I put it into drive, it started misfiring and the check engine light when on. I pulled over and shut the car off. I waited 5 minutes, started it back up, and it was absolutely perfect. It was going in the next day for service so I asked the dealer to check the log, computer, etc. and see if they could find anything. The service advisor gave me some vague and ambiguous answer, basically saying nothing at all. But he did tell me -- when we replace the plugs, we will check the coils, and that "might" be covered under the warranty. So, I hope he's right and that's great news.

The problem is they gave me a bait and switch number on the spark plugs. He initially told me about $350. When I went to confirm the price was now around $700 and change. So, I am somewhat "forced" into using the dealer vis a vis the coils being (hopefully) covered by warranty. With my luck they won't be and I'll end up having to pay for both, LOL. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by BoMB
I could use new wiper blades. They weren't recommended during my last two services, but it's about time. Currently I have whatever came with the car, but I was thinking of getting the RainX wiper blades. I've had them on other cars, and along with the RainX spray, between the two rain would run away from my windshield, LOL.

As far as the service, I have to get my spark plugs replaced (off-service, or else I can wait until the next service which will be 10k miles from now, at approximately 67k miles). The car hadn't been used in about 3 weeks, and when I started it up and pulled out of the garage, as soon as I put it into drive, it started misfiring and the check engine light when on. I pulled over and shut the car off. I waited 5 minutes, started it back up, and it was absolutely perfect. It was going in the next day for service so I asked the dealer to check the log, computer, etc. and see if they could find anything. The service advisor gave me some vague and ambiguous answer, basically saying nothing at all. But he did tell me -- when we replace the plugs, we will check the coils, and that "might" be covered under the warranty. So, I hope he's right and that's great news.

The problem is they gave me a bait and switch number on the spark plugs. He initially told me about $350. When I went to confirm the price was now around $700 and change. So, I am somewhat "forced" into using the dealer vis a vis the coils being (hopefully) covered by warranty. With my luck they won't be and I'll end up having to pay for both, LOL. Thanks.
Pretty amazing that you are still on the original wiper blades.

I have to change mine every year. I use the Bosch Aero Twin.

I believe the plugs will be a wear and tear item not covered under the extended warranty. Do not know about the coil.

If yours is an E 300, then $75 a plug, $300 for a set of four, seems to be the going rate.

I do not know about the coils and whether they are covered by the extended warranty.

Good luck and let the rest of us with extended warranties can expect!
Old 05-04-2023, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BoMB

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to have an indy do the plugs and then if the coils go, see if that's covered. You shouldn't be at the mercy of the dealers service advisor on the coils as it should be spelled out in the warranty if it's covered or not or you can just call whoever gave you the warrant/service contract and see if they're covered or not. The plugs aren't really that much around $50 on rockauto or about $65 on FCPeuro but that comes with a lifetime warranty so if you're going to keep it long term, better to get it from FCPEuro. They also sell it as a kit with the ignition coils. The video on changing the plugs looks pretty straightforward. I'm also wondering if the guy is confused about the price. Some other cars have the 6 cylinder and it's harder to do the plugs on those and of course 50% more plugs so that's why the price changed. $350 sounds like a reasonable stealership price, but $700 for just a 4 cylinder on $65 worth of plugs is a bit much. I think even OE plugs from MB are in the $20 range. I would at least call around to a few other MB dealerships if you like going there and get a better price and see if the original dealer will price match with another dealership that's further away.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-0041597903kt2

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7212&jsn=908

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7060&jsn=918

The following users liked this post:
BoMB (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 09:28 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Pretty amazing that you are still on the original wiper blades.

I have to change mine every year. I use the Bosch Aero Twin.

I believe the plugs will be a wear and tear item not covered under the extended warranty. Do not know about the coil.

If yours is an E 300, then $75 a plug, $300 for a set of four, seems to be the going rate.

I do not know about the coils and whether they are covered by the extended warranty.

Good luck and let the rest of us with extended warranties can expect!
Yes, I have an E300 (4Matic). I don't know if they are the original wiper blades. I got the car with 37k miles and it was CPO so perhaps they put on new blades then. I now have 57k miles, and I didn't drive the car in the two winters since I bought it so that saved some wear and tear. Yes, the plugs are not covered, but it's going to cost me far more than the $350 (that was originally quoted). The estimate they emailed me -- is now $714!!! ($95 and change for parts, and $618 and change for labor).

However, like I said, when I questioned them about the misfiring -- the SA said that when they change the plugs, they would check the coils, and "that maybe" that would be covered. I asked him to clarify, and he said if the coils were just wear and tear, worn, etc., they would not be covered -- but if one or more looked OK and were simply not working as they are supposed to, then it would be considered that they were "malfunctioning" and that would be covered. He then said "most likely" would be covered, and even said "probably" -- but I chalk that up as salesmanship, LOL. Part of it is paranoia, the other part is simply my pessimism, LOL, but I expect them to try and screw me, and get me to pay for coils too! LOL.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:30 AM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
I hear you... I only said "forced" because if I bring the car to an indy shop, just for the spark plugs, I figured the likelihood of the car misfiring again, and then bringing it to the dealer and having the dealer cover the coils only -- is slim to none. That as opposed to letting the dealer do the plugs, knowing that it had misfired, they check the coils and if something is wrong, they will more likely cover it. Also considering they said the coils are "probably" covered. I just didn't want to run a risk. I am not so sure how clearly it's spelled out, especially being that the coils are a wear and tear item -- although they can certainly malfunction, which the dealer said at 60,000 miles it is likely a malfunction. I called the other nearby dealer and guess what -- they said the same thing -- maybe.

I am going to call that second dealer -- give them my VIN -- and ask for a quote, and specifically remind them it's 4 cylinders (great point -- thanks!). This is not the first time a dealer has done a bait and switch. Thanks again for the insight!

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to have an indy do the plugs and then if the coils go, see if that's covered. You shouldn't be at the mercy of the dealers service advisor on the coils as it should be spelled out in the warranty if it's covered or not or you can just call whoever gave you the warrant/service contract and see if they're covered or not. The plugs aren't really that much around $50 on rockauto or about $65 on FCPeuro but that comes with a lifetime warranty so if you're going to keep it long term, better to get it from FCPEuro. They also sell it as a kit with the ignition coils. The video on changing the plugs looks pretty straightforward. I'm also wondering if the guy is confused about the price. Some other cars have the 6 cylinder and it's harder to do the plugs on those and of course 50% more plugs so that's why the price changed. $350 sounds like a reasonable stealership price, but $700 for just a 4 cylinder on $65 worth of plugs is a bit much. I think even OE plugs from MB are in the $20 range. I would at least call around to a few other MB dealerships if you like going there and get a better price and see if the original dealer will price match with another dealership that's further away.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-0041597903kt2

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7212&jsn=908

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7060&jsn=918

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-W_...=RookieRepairs