E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Service B exceeded by 17300 mi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E400
Service B exceeded by 17300 mi

So our.new to us 2018 E400 was due for a Service A oil change, and everything went smoothly until I reset the reminder. As soon as I reset the Service A, instantly I get this message "SERVICE B EXCEEDED BY 17300 MI" I knew that the Service B had been carried out by the local MB dealer back then, so when I attempted to reset that message, after selecting "Confirm Service", then selecting the correct oil, confirmed that it cannot be undone, then I got the message "FULL SERVICE COULD NOT BE CARRIED OUT". I searched the net and found just a few peeps that had run into the same issue. One had driven around for a few miles and was able to finally reset it. But no matter what I did the same message popped up when I started it. I found it strange that the miles never increased. So after a couple of days I gave up and took her to the dealer. After explaining the issue with them, and that I had successfully reset the Service A, the Service B message came up, as if they had never completed it back then. They said that it was "impossible" and that I had reset the Service A incorrectly. They then told me that they would not reset the message unless they did the work. Which I told them that they did, 17300 mi ago. Long story short, they made me pay for a Service A oil change ( even though I had changed it like 15mi ago) just to reset the message, but they ended up having to flash the computer to get it to go away. Seems jacked up that they wouldn't believe me when I told them that the computer had a glitch. Leson learned.
The following users liked this post:
BoMB (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:35 AM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by DoubleDang
They then told me that they would not reset the message unless they did the work. Which I told them that they did, 17300 mi ago. Long story short, they made me pay for a Service A oil change ( even though I had changed it like 15mi ago) just to reset the message... Seems jacked up that they wouldn't believe me when I told them that the computer had a glitch. Leson learned.
Oh, I am sure they remembered -- but pretended they didn't -- and all they had to do was check the records! They did it to put a gun to your head -- because they could! Don't beat yourself up. Like you said, lesson learned.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts
2022 E450 All-Terrain
So our.new to us 2018 E400 was due for a Service A oil change, and everything went smoothly until I reset the reminder. As soon as I reset the Service A, instantly I get this message "SERVICE B EXCEEDED BY 17300 MI"
Sorry, maybe I mis-read this, but I assume you changed the oil yourself and then reset the Service-A reminder ? And that’s when the Service-B error popped up ?
Old 05-31-2023, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E400
Originally Posted by Roweraay
Sorry, maybe I mis-read this, but I assume you changed the oil yourself and then reset the Service-A reminder ? And that’s when the Service-B error popped up ?
Yep B popped up the instant I reset A. But it wasn't showing up prior to resetting A
Old 05-31-2023, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,125 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
You should have told the dealer (my guess is Fletcher's) that they are not the only dealer in Vegas, and that if they were too lazy to verify their work 17K miles before and reset the meter, then you were not too lazy to take your future work to the other dealer.

Assuming you paid by credit card, I'd either dispute the charge with the CC company (fraud), or go back to the dealer and demand to speak to the owner to get a CC credit.

Letting dealers get away with this crap only encourages them to do more of it.

Last edited by DFWdude; 05-31-2023 at 11:46 AM.
AllPhonesAretap (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
So our.new to us 2018 E400 was due for a Service A oil change, and everything went smoothly until I reset the reminder. As soon as I reset the Service A, instantly I get this message "SERVICE B EXCEEDED BY 17300 MI" I knew that the Service B had been carried out by the local MB dealer back then, so when I attempted to reset that message, after selecting "Confirm Service", then selecting the correct oil, confirmed that it cannot be undone, then I got the message "FULL SERVICE COULD NOT BE CARRIED OUT". I searched the net and found just a few peeps that had run into the same issue. One had driven around for a few miles and was able to finally reset it. But no matter what I did the same message popped up when I started it. I found it strange that the miles never increased. So after a couple of days I gave up and took her to the dealer. After explaining the issue with them, and that I had successfully reset the Service A, the Service B message came up, as if they had never completed it back then. They said that it was "impossible" and that I had reset the Service A incorrectly. They then told me that they would not reset the message unless they did the work. Which I told them that they did, 17300 mi ago. Long story short, they made me pay for a Service A oil change ( even though I had changed it like 15mi ago) just to reset the message, but they ended up having to flash the computer to get it to go away. Seems jacked up that they wouldn't believe me when I told them that the computer had a glitch. Leson learned.
Interesting: I had an Indy shop do the "A" service at 30,000.

I was able to reset after service was done without problems.

I also join in with others, who think what the dealer did was outrageous.

Here is an idea.

Go to service menu and see when the next service is due: it is either time or mileage.

Then do a reset. After resetting the time and/or mileage should change.

If not, then you have not done a proper reset. If you PM me I will give you the steps I took/take to reset the service reminder.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:11 PM

Received 216 Likes on 171 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
Happened to me on my GLC after I reset the service indicator after doing my own oil change. I couldn't clear the new overdue service message, got same error message. Read up about it online, there's a minimum mileage and/or time limit before you can reset another service message.

After driving it around for a few days and like maybe 100 mi, I was able to reset the new service message using the standard procedure.

Last edited by taphil; 05-31-2023 at 01:14 PM.
JTK44 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 07:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E43
I had a similar problem after changing the oil on my own for the service A. I reset and immediately saw a message the B service was overdue similar to OP. Drive for a while, didn't go away, so I reset again and now showing correctly except the car says service A due next instead of service B. Quite frankly, I don't need the car to tell me when each service is due, I can keep track of mileage and days on my own. The dealer charging you for a full service A just to spend the 30 seconds to reset the counter should be against the ethics Mercedes requires their dealers to abide by. You should report them to Mercedes and leave an honest review of what happened on google, yelp, etc.so others avoid the dealer in the future. Not sure about Mercedes but with GM if the dealer's service department doesn't get a 10/10 on the customer satisfaction survey the dealer calls and asks what it takes to make things right so you change your answers, Let Mercedes know about what you went through. I'm sure you aren't the only one.
AllPhonesAretap (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 07:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,720 Likes on 2,314 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by DFWdude
You should have told the dealer (my guess is Fletcher's) that they are not the only dealer in Vegas, and that if they were too lazy to verify their work 17K miles before and reset the meter, then you were not too lazy to take your future work to the other dealer.

Assuming you paid by credit card, I'd either dispute the charge with the CC company (fraud), or go back to the dealer and demand to speak to the owner to get a CC credit.

Letting dealers get away with this crap only encourages them to do more of it.
Exactly, these stealerships get away with too much stuff nowadays.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I think you just google the dealership and see what reviews are on it and leave negative reviews on all the review sites like google, facebook, yelp, yahoo, cars.com, DealerRater, Edmunds, carfax, etc. Make sure it's factual so they can't sue you. I'd also write them a letter and demand your money back. We have a law in our state that offers triple damages for unfair and deceptive trade practices so I'd threaten to sue under whatever statue you have in your state. I think I mentioned it once to a dealer when they didn't want to fix something under a used car warranty and then once I mentioned it, it all got fixed and there were no more issues. Sales manager didn't want to do it but a brief conversation with the general manager got it all fixed.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,720 Likes on 2,314 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I think you just google the dealership and see what reviews are on it and leave negative reviews on all the review sites like google, facebook, yelp, yahoo, cars.com, DealerRater, Edmunds, carfax, etc. Make sure it's factual so they can't sue you. I'd also write them a letter and demand your money back. We have a law in our state that offers triple damages for unfair and deceptive trade practices so I'd threaten to sue under whatever statue you have in your state. I think I mentioned it once to a dealer when they didn't want to fix something under a used car warranty and then once I mentioned it, it all got fixed and there were no more issues. Sales manager didn't want to do it but a brief conversation with the general manager got it all fixed.
That would be a good start.