E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 e300 Screen goes blank for a while

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 04:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E300
Unhappy 2017 e300 Screen goes blank for a while

Mine is a full digital display - left and right side. While driving the digital driver display on the left completely goes blank, including the head up display, for a while - few seconds, and completely restarts - as if the car was started, all while driving. I have noticed this happening a third time... is this due to some lose connections of the cable? battery? any help / guidance will be highly appreciated. I was at a car clean shop yesterday, and blew high speed air and vacuumed the car inside. not sure if this set something loose?
Old 09-13-2023, 08:34 PM

E300
Originally Posted by ram0201
Mine is a full digital display - left and right side. While driving the digital driver display on the left completely goes blank, including the head up display, for a while - few seconds, and completely restarts - as if the car was started, all while driving. I have noticed this happening a third time... is this due to some lose connections of the cable? battery? any help / guidance will be highly appreciated. I was at a car clean shop yesterday, and blew high speed air and vacuumed the car inside. not sure if this set something loose?
one update.. the widescreen cockpit is completely blank now.. looks like some fuse blew?! Anyone help?
Old 09-14-2023, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Look for blown fuses otherwise visit your MB service department. Attached is a fuse diagram I posted 5 years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W213 Fuses.pdf (424.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-14-2023, 08:45 AM

E300
Originally Posted by ua549
Look for blown fuses otherwise visit your MB service department. Attached is a fuse diagram I posted 5 years ago.
Thanks.. i checked the passenger side fuse for instrument cluster - it seems to be intact.. no problem..

started the car this morning, the screen appeared after a few seconds, and then slowly it went dimmer and off, and then couple of times it came back on and then went off again - now its completely dark/blank.

i will take it to mercedes.. i dont have an warranty for this! there is a carmax warranty though - hope the merc dealer will use that?
Old 09-14-2023, 11:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts
2018 AMG E63s Ed1
Thanks.. i checked the passenger side fuse for instrument cluster - it seems to be intact.. no problem..

started the car this morning, the screen appeared after a few seconds, and then slowly it went dimmer and off, and then couple of times it came back on and then went off again - now its completely dark/blank.

i will take it to mercedes.. i dont have an warranty for this! there is a carmax warranty though - hope the merc dealer will use that?

FYI, the MB dealership will tell you to take it to carmax and carmax will be in charge of the warranty work since it is a carmax warranty and not a MB warranty.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:21 AM

E300
Here is a video..this morning the cluster came back to life, but, it just went back to dead after rebooting a bunch of times by itself..

now its dead.. am sure tomorrow AM it will be alive.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2023, 10:41 AM

E300
Here is a video..this morning the cluster came back to life, but, it just went back to dead after rebooting a bunch of times by itself..

now its dead.. am sure tomorrow AM it will be alive.

https://youtu.be/H5AYmjhMtOo?feature=shared
Any suggestions?
@BenzNinja @BenzNinja USA anything you can help with this issue?
Old 09-15-2023, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You may have a faulty or loose connection to the variable dash lighting switch that is next to the headlight on/off switch.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:19 AM

E300
You may have a faulty or loose connection to the variable dash lighting switch that is next to the headlight on/off switch.
Thank you.. i thought so, but, the entire system goes off, not just the instrument cluster, but the head up display too, and some more - the backlighting of the light switches etc... so it is some sort of power failure when the engine starts to run and the components heat up... somewhere i read about IC's failing and these are fail safe ones.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does it go off before you touch the start button, i.e, when you first enter the car and wait? The instrument cluster should be on, but not the entertainment display.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 AM

E300
great question... Now that it is afternoon - it is completely off/dark. The last two mornings, it showed up when I just entered before touching the start button, but I didn't see how long it was on. Do you think I should let it on if it stays on, without pressing start for a while (will that reset something?) i can try that tomorrow !
Old 09-15-2023, 03:19 PM

2018 AMG E63s Ed1
that looks like a communication issue between the dash and the other systems since both dash and infotainment display keep disappearing. At this point, if you have a warranty with carmax, i would take it to them to have them rectify it.

A MOST failure would only impact the right panel not both.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:20 AM

E300
Does it go off before you touch the start button, i.e, when you first enter the car and wait? The instrument cluster should be on, but not the entertainment display.
i did check this 2 times.. it does go off before i touch start button.. now, it goes off quicker than before.. earlier it used to stay for say 1 minute, now just a few seconds.. i also noted that the lane assistance triangles in the mirror do not light up anymore.. the head up display won't work too.. several items..
Old 09-19-2023, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Time to visit a MB service provider.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:59 AM

E300
Yes. The problem at NJ area is they don't take cars for service easily..backed up for 3 weeks.. tells how poor is their service department and the cars!! I am still waiting..
Old 09-21-2023, 12:06 PM

2018 AMG E63s Ed1
hopefully you scheduled yourself in the waiting list.

What has carmax said about warranty?
Old 09-21-2023, 01:23 PM

E300
Unhappy

Originally Posted by figuwx
hopefully you scheduled yourself in the waiting list.

What has carmax said about warranty?
I got it now to Mercedes at Union NJ... they said it will take another week for them to even look into it! (Last time I will own a Merc - service is definitely an issue) with the amount of cars that are broke down, he said about 60 waiting before mine!

Carmax was/is not much helpful. Never buy again from them. They sell warranty that is garbage (i bought a 5 year one). the process is CUMBERSOME. Everything is on us. I dont have the promised rental car. Many places do not accept this third party warratny. It is NOT even carmax, it is some third party called CNA they contract with... but when we buy a car, they say carmax maxcare - all TOTAL BS.

As a customer this is painful. I have least hope that they will cover.

I have least hope that the Merc folks will address/fix this issue. I have read many places that this is a common unfixable issue. fingers crossed on this 55k to me lemon.

read these...

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...and-on.274794/

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...-randomly.html

there are several 100s of these if u google them... class action will be best.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:02 AM

2018 AMG E63s Ed1
I got it now to Mercedes at Union NJ... they said it will take another week for them to even look into it! (Last time I will own a Merc - service is definitely an issue) with the amount of cars that are broke down, he said about 60 waiting before mine!

Carmax was/is not much helpful. Never buy again from them. They sell warranty that is garbage (i bought a 5 year one). the process is CUMBERSOME. Everything is on us. I dont have the promised rental car. Many places do not accept this third party warratny. It is NOT even carmax, it is some third party called CNA they contract with... but when we buy a car, they say carmax maxcare - all TOTAL BS.

As a customer this is painful. I have least hope that they will cover.

I have least hope that the Merc folks will address/fix this issue. I have read many places that this is a common unfixable issue. fingers crossed on this 55k to me lemon.

read these...

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...and-on.274794/

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...-randomly.html

there are several 100s of these if u google them... class action will be best.
class action is only a win for the lawyers. The plaintiffs never get anything of value out of it (either money, warranty service etc).

With that said, sorry to hear about the slowness of the dealer in the east coast. that is nation wide. Thank goodness my car is out of warranty so i take it to an indy Euro shop and they usually fit me in same day for service A or couple of days tops for Service B.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:37 AM

E300
class action is only a win for the lawyers. The plaintiffs never get anything of value out of it (either money, warranty service etc).

With that said, sorry to hear about the slowness of the dealer in the east coast. that is nation wide. Thank goodness my car is out of warranty so i take it to an indy Euro shop and they usually fit me in same day for service A or couple of days tops for Service B.
good for you. I did ask a euro shop (very well known one), but they said these malfunctioning isn't something they can fix or point to...

now after all this drama, it feels like a software bug to me (something like you remember the old days when memory fails, the blue screen appears or hangs... or some system files are corrupted, it reboots only at times)?
Old 09-22-2023, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the Tampa Bay area there is no waiting for service from a MB dealer. My very busy dealer does oil change service (Service A) without an appointment while you wait. For more complex service appointments can be scheduled within a couple of days. If a loaner is requested allow a week for an appointment.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:00 PM

E300
Angry

dealer calls me today and says the entire instrument cluster screen has to be replaced!

i dont know how that will fix all the problems (screen blank (sometimes on and off during drive) is one issue, but head up display not working, blind spot monitoring sound does not work, indicator lights work but no display or sound, several backlighting doesn't work, auto start/stop does not work!!) will screen replacement fix all this at once? the dealer says they have to go one by one!!

but the thing is while driving it sometimes works, and everything works ok during that time for a few seconds..

here is a video made during delivery to the dealer

Old 09-25-2023, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If it was my car, I'd sell/trade it because the repairs are into the thousands of dollars.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:46 AM

E300
see my other post.. trying to now work with MB USA to consider options for buyback... there are other issues too with this car that are unresolved, and they are stepping in
Old 10-03-2023, 05:53 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Make sure you file a NHTSA complaint about this issue... the instrument cluster going out is considered to be a major safety issue and NHTSA will definitely investigate it.
The following users liked this post:
ua549 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 10:33 PM

E300
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
Make sure you file a NHTSA complaint about this issue... the instrument cluster going out is considered to be a major safety issue and NHTSA will definitely investigate it.
yes, i have done that long back.. but NHTSA is not helpful at all!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2017 e300 Screen goes blank for a while