EQB 350 Range Disappointment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQB 350 4MATIC
Cool EQB 350 Range Disappointment

Purchased the 2022 EQB 350 last November. Advertised ranged (under ideal conditions of course) is 227 miles on a full charge.
However, now that I've had the car for half a year, I'm finding my actual range is closer to 150 miles on a full charge, mostly freeway driving.
This is about 2/3 of what is advertised. I'm wondering if any other EQB 350 owners are experiencing the same issue?

I haven't addressed this yet with Mercedes or the dealership. Been too busy with other things and gave myself the excuse to take more time to observe the range -- but it's been pretty consistent.

Talk about range anxiety! ugh

Anyway, please share your feedback. Is my EQB range an isolated incident or are other owners having the same experience?
Old 05-31-2023, 02:08 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
I have a 300 on order and really have no illusions about range. EV range is contingent upon so many factors including temperature, speed, use of a/c, tire size, etc. We have a Rav4Prime plug-in and before that had a Kia Niro plug in. The plug-in range even varies widely. We get up to 42 miles EV in town without air. That drops to maybe 38 if we are using air. It drops into low 30's at highway speed. And that's summer. Much lower in winter. The EQB will strictly be an around-the-area car and we'll drive the Rav4 on longer road trips and will get upper-30's mpg on the highway. Coming from a '21 GLE350 which at fill-up today got a whopping 15.8mpg city driving, which has gone as high as 29mpg on the road. If you want range in this price range, Tesla wins both in terms of range and charger network. We went with the 300, by the way, for the slightly greater range. The 350 range is affected both by more powerful motors and larger tires. You might want to experiment with climate control set to off, maximum regeneration and in town or lower speed driving. That could be a test of the maximum real-world you could expect from the 350.

Are you experiencing any problems with the car? Charging on home charger or on EA network?

Hence the oft-unheeded disclaimer -- Your mileage may vary.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:11 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by DaydreamerX
...or are other owners having the same experience?
FWIW, I'm consistently experiencing about 180mi estimated range when charged to 80% based on our driving habits (typically mixed suburban and interstate).

In actual use on the interstate I'll occasionally drive the same 120mi route* and the actual battery percentage goes from 100% to 35%, thus 185mi computed range at highway speeds.

Also the Mercedes ME Connect app says we've now put 3725mi on the EQB with average consumption of 2.7mpkWh.

(* Mostly flat, 120mile round trip, about 85% interstate @ 70-75mph)
Old 05-31-2023, 03:12 PM

2023 EQB300
Again, FWIW, the Rav4Prime when in EV mode has been delivering average of 3.2m/kwh.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:57 PM

EQB 350 4MATIC
Thanks for the reply nsoltz. I wasn't expecting 100% of the Mercedes' official range spec but two-thirds of that spec is disappointing.
Love everything else about the car, just think they missed the mark on range. I have experimented with optimal efficiency, meaning all accessory features are turned off, and maybe squeezed out an additional 5-6% range. This is all in moderate weather conditions (60-70F).

I have experienced charging issues on the EA network for sure. Always have to call their customer service and get a manual start which is frustrating and time consuming. In fact, I've pretty much stopped taking advantage of the free EA benefit because of the hassle.
The following users liked this post:
Tennis Dad (07-22-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 04:08 PM

EQB 350 4MATIC
Thanks for the reply cadetdrivr. Looks like your experience with range is similar if not slightly better than what I'm seeing.
And I'm guessing the range will slowly diminish as the batteries age so it sucks to be starting with a lower than expected top range while brand new.

The MercedesME app reports my average consumption of 2.3 mpkWh (total mileage is 9,887).

Last edited by DaydreamerX; 05-31-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the reply cadetdrivr. Looks like your experience with range is similar if not slightly better than what I'm seeing.
FWIW, I drive the EQB like I stole it with zero regard for maximizing range so I'm not surprised by my highway results.

I'm wondering if there is something going on with your car, however?

For example, here's an YouTube range test of the 350 that resulted in 211mi @ 70mph.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
And I'm guessing the range will slowly diminish as the batteries age so it sucks to be starting with a lower than expected top range while brand new.

The MercedesME app reports my average consumption of 2.3 mpkWh (total mileage is 9,887).
In my opinion, that is low. My overall average is 2.9 mpkWh. Quite often I find I am getting approximately 3.2 mpkWh and that is when I drive sensibly and up to 70mph on UK motorways. To get these types of figures on longish trips of mixed mileage, I use Eco mode and D Auto. Without air conditioning might I add. The only time I drop below 3.0 mpkWh is when I heat up the cabin and keep a constant 19.5 degrees Centigradge
Old 06-01-2023, 06:46 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
E350 4matic Wagon
My Range = Estimates

Purchased the 2022 EQB 350 last November. Advertised ranged (under ideal conditions of course) is 227 miles on a full charge.
However, now that I've had the car for half a year, I'm finding my actual range is closer to 150 miles on a full charge, mostly freeway driving.
This is about 2/3 of what is advertised. I'm wondering if any other EQB 350 owners are experiencing the same issue?

I haven't addressed this yet with Mercedes or the dealership. Been too busy with other things and gave myself the excuse to take more time to observe the range -- but it's been pretty consistent.

Anyway, please share your feedback. Is my EQB range an isolated incident or are other owners having the same experience?
Temperature dependent, my range has been commonly above 220 on full charge - in the 230s on Warner days.

Using “E” on freeway with cruise control extends range as does adhering to the speed limit. If you are carrying lots of weight or persons I’m sure you realize that takes energy.

also if you are in northern colder geographic region then range is less

also, do not keep the car plugged in with standard charge set for 100%.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:10 AM

I have experimented with optimal efficiency, meaning all accessory features are turned off, and maybe squeezed out an additional 5-6% range. This is all in moderate weather conditions (60-70F).
@DaydreamerX I hope you don't mind, but for the benefit of those in this thread it was mentioned by you on another forum that you typically drive 80-90mph on the open interstate.

For those that are not aware, drag is exponential with velocity, so speed will have an enormous impact on range. Thus, at very high speeds it will far overshadow all other variables that affect efficiency in an EV.

There is a sweet spot for range in an EV, and unfortunately it's probably around 45-55mph. That's not practical on the interstate but slowing to 60-70mph will have a huge impact compared to 80-90mph.
The following 2 users liked this post by cadetdrivr:
DaydreamerX (06-01-2023), dvenneman (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
EQB300

I have an EQB 300 with the upgraded AMG tires, which evidently costs me about 10 to 15 miles of range. I've put 5500 miles on the car in 9 months and here is what I am seeing regarding range:

- Normal driving range (in city, consistently 60 mph or under, comfort mode, AC on) is 225 miles at 100%, or just under 180 at 80%. In colder weather, the numbers dropped to 200 miles at 100%.
- Highway driving range (all interstate, around 80 mph, comfort mode, AC on) is consistently 200 miles at 100%.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:16 AM

EQB300
Thanks for the reply nsoltz. I wasn't expecting 100% of the Mercedes' official range spec but two-thirds of that spec is disappointing.
Love everything else about the car, just think they missed the mark on range. I have experimented with optimal efficiency, meaning all accessory features are turned off, and maybe squeezed out an additional 5-6% range. This is all in moderate weather conditions (60-70F).

I have experienced charging issues on the EA network for sure. Always have to call their customer service and get a manual start which is frustrating and time consuming. In fact, I've pretty much stopped taking advantage of the free EA benefit because of the hassle.
You should not have to call EA to initiate the charging session. I've seen others report that issue and that is not one that I have EVER experienced. Maybe it's an issue related to a specific EA location but I'm skeptical of that. For me, that hassle would be a non-starter and I would return my car to MB if they couldn't get that working correctly. I'm sure you have tried this, but here is what I have done and it has worked 100% of the time.

Pull up the EA charging location using the app. Navigate to the specific charger ID you are planning to use. Get all the way to the screen where you see "Charge" but don't click the button yet. Undock the charger and then plug it in. Now, touch the "CHARGE" button. Click "Continue" on the EA screen (no idea if this last step is actually needed). The session should begin and at the end, your MB discount should be displayed on the screen and your session should be free.

Your 2.3 kWh efficiency is really low. In City, I typically see 2.9 to 3.1 and on the interstate it's around 2.7.
Tennis Dad (07-22-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Periodically balancing the cells will also help optimize calibration. There's some buffer so charging to 100% isn't really 100%. You won't hurt anything doing it occasionally.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:48 PM

EQB 350 4MATIC
Yes, that's the $70k question I'm trying to figure out...is it just my EQB with this issue or is it the general consensus with 2022 EQB owners.

I wonder if they made battery improvements on the 2023 model.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:55 PM

EQB300
Yes, that's the $70k question I'm trying to figure out...is it just my EQB with this issue or is it the general consensus with 2022 EQB owners.

I wonder if they made battery improvements on the 2023 model.
My understanding is the battery and range is essentially the same with the '23 models. I do expect improved performance with '24, however, mainly because they're going to have to if they want to compete. If it's true that you're regularly going 80 to 90 mph on the highway that's likely the main factor. I would try staying around 70 mph for a couple of the drives and monitoring your efficiency. If that 2.3 goes up so will your range. Having said all of that, 150 miles of range still seems and 2.3 kWh still seems worse than you should be getting even at higher speeds.

If you're in stop and go traffic and doing normal commuting, what type of efficiency numbers are you seeing?
Old 06-01-2023, 02:03 PM

EQB 350 4MATIC
Thank you. I'm going to try staying at or below speed limit and compare the resulting range results.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
EQB 300
I've noticed that driving in Comfort with regen set to D- is best for range for my use case (Eco dulls the aircon so much that it is virtually unusable). I try and stay below 60 mph (100 kmph) - going above seems to start affecting my km/kwh consumption significantly. I have also observed that the EQB burns up the most charge when moving from standstill, so it is more advantageous for range if one can try to avoid coming to a complete stop. I try to anticipate the traffic ahead and use the A pedal to modulate speed so that the car can continue to be in motion and merge smoothly just as the traffic ahead starts moving. YMMV.
Tennis Dad (07-22-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 05:37 AM

I have some comments about getting a good range from an EQB 300. I am a low-mileage driver and purchased the car in September 2022. There should not be much difference between this car and an EQB 350.

Several days ago with the outside air temperature around 16 degrees centigrade in the morning, I went from Witney (Oxfordshire) to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (Cambridgeshire) using slower A and B class roads (Trip 1). I returned to Witney later in the day via Milton Keynes using fast A roads with Dual Carriageways where for quite a lot of the time I was at 65-70 mph (Trip 2).
Trip 1 was approximately 86 miles and I averaged 3.5 kWh. (average speed 36 mph).
Trip 2 was approximately 92 miles and I averaged 3.4 kWh. (average speed 40 mph).

After reading the manual concerning driving for economy, I have since the very first day of ownership used Eco mode with the D Auto settings and switch off (when I can) ancillaries services. The D Auto setting is without a doubt a good setting because it follows the road (uses sat nav) and speed limit signs. We can feel it coasting more than other regenerative settings and this can be seen in the consumption display.

Last edited by PeterJohn; 06-21-2023 at 03:09 AM.
dvenneman (06-08-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 02:10 PM

EQB 350 4MATIC
Wanted to provide an update to my original post. So, based on comments posted in this thread regarding the slippery curve of speed to range efficiency, I tested driving my 70 miles round trip work commute in Eco mode going 55mph with almost all auxiliary features turned off (no air or radio). The result was my efficiency improved significantly to around 3.3 MpkWh. This would equate to the advertised 220 miles range on a 100% charge. But who can drive like that regularly?! haha, now I know to take advertised ranges for EVs with a BIG grain of salt.

subtract 15-20% if you drive in the 70-90mph range.

subtract 10-15% if you live in hilly terrain

subtract 5-10% if you want to enjoy your heated seat, heat or a/c, radio, phone charge, etc.

Too bad. The EQB is a great car minus these battery drain realities which I guess exist for all EVs. But as is, I'll continue to suffer from range anxiety! This car is practical only for around town or short commute type scenarios. I feel like I bought in too early. I would rather have waited a few years for battery technology to improve before making the investment.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:06 PM

2023 EQB300
Can't say anything about my EQB other than it is now sitting in Bremerhaven awaiting a ship.

But we also have a Rav4 Prime which in plug-in can deliver up to 50 miles EV before switching to hybrid. Range in winter, without heat drops about 10%. Maybe 12% with heat. Range in summer with AC drops from an average of 50 miles to about 46. The peak we ever get from it is 3.3 m/kwh

Intend to start off using D-Auto and E, so will assess. Mine, by the way, is EQB300 with standard 18" wheels so should deliver slightly better than 350 with 19" wheels.

And certainly better than my '21 GLE350 which just took $75 of Shell premium and under 20mpg for mostly city driving on this tank.
dvenneman (06-20-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQB
Currently struggling myself with range in my EQB 350. Done about 250 miles in temperatures of around 20 degrees Celsius but maxing out at about 3.1kwh. Driving in normal mode with D Auto and almost all in town driving with average of around 20mph.

Only had the car a few weeks but previously had an Ioniq 5 (dual motor version and more powerful) and on the same journeys i am doing now under pretty much the same conditions I was getting about 3.7kwh
Old 07-22-2023, 11:59 AM

2023 EQB250+; 2004 CLK320 Cabriolet
I’ve only had my 250+ for about a month, and have seen the monitor give diverse endings at 80%, from a low of 165 to a high of 260. A he suggestion of th MB sales mg. I have reset the trip meter on recharging. (Most surprises on the negative side.
also trying to get a hassle free recharge on the road hasn’t happened. Spending 20 minutes struggling to get machines from electrify America and Ea to even start to charge has been the bane of my ownership of this fine SUV so far.
there is a seemingly impossible gap between recharging at one of these stations and a gas fill up. I spent an extra hour hassling at 3 different locations yesterday, not to mention the 20 to 30 minute charge times after when (and if) it started charging
Old 07-22-2023, 12:02 PM

Just an update. Below is the latest information from my EQB 300 using ventilation on the setting of 3, no Air conditioning, and Eco mode with the D Auto setting.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:43 PM

We’ve had our 350 for about 5 months now, and put 6,100 miles on it. Since the in-service date in February 2023, local temperatures here in Minnesota, USA have varied between -10F/-23C to 95F/35C. My wife generally commutes in the suburbs and when I drive it, I drive it like I stole it and it’s a mix of suburbia and local interstate. We also blast the heater and AC without any regard to efficiency, use the default D drive mode, pre-heat/cool whenever parked outside, and have spent hours idling with heat/AC waiting during kids car-pool runs. Given all that, I’d say the Mercedes EPA estimates are pretty much dead-nuts on.

Below is our usage since new:

Also, we usually charge overnight to 80% and both the app and the car estimate that’s about 180-190 miles of 'real world' range which would put us right at, or slightly above the EPA estimates for the 350.

I’m very satisfied that our experience matches the estimates and particularly given our mid-continent local weather extremes.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 07-22-2023 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added screenshot
Old 07-22-2023, 03:05 PM

2023 EQB250+; 2004 CLK320 Cabriolet
Glad to see someone who drives it like it should be driven, not like an early Prius driver
BenjaminKohl (07-23-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQB 350 Range Disappointment