EQE SUV (X294) Forum for Discussion of EQE SUV

EQE SUV Section?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2023 | 07:15 PM

2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by kennethjk
when on the highway I generally travel around 67 mph to get maximum range.
In that case, you'll exceed my numbers. My data is based on driving 70 MPH on highway trips, AC set to 73°. The EQE is a supreme road trip car. We did five road trips with it this summer - with a family of 5. Car loaded to the gills. It still gave us superb range. Range always came in higher than what the MBUX navigation predicted, and exceeded all route planner estimates. It's an easy driver for long trips, ADAS is incredible, seat comfort is excellent, and ride quality, even on steel springs, is perfect. I'm about to put Bridgestone Turanza EV tires on, which supposedly reduce noise a bit more and increase range even further than what I'm getting on the Turanza LS100 MO tires. Not sure why they didn't go with the full-EV tires, but they probably weren't available yet at quantity when I ordered the car.
Old 11-05-2023 | 07:24 PM

911S, MME, X3
Greta news.

I like the size of the MME but the ride is horrible and dealing with Ford, is well, dealing with Ford. I’ve probably owned over 30 BMW’s but their EVs are either too small or front ugly.

I am hoping that most bugs are gone from the new EQE 350s

I really want the Macan EV but with their software problems and another 4 month delay the car won’t be out until sometime around mid 2025.

the one thing I don’t like on the MB is that CarPlay nav does not show in the instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel like the BMW and Ford.

they are offering me some decent discounts at the moment, hopefully I can get more and then get rid of the MME.

thanks again
The following users liked this post:
bytemaster0 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 05:16 PM

2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by kennethjk
the one thing I don’t like on the MB is that CarPlay nav does not show in the instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel like the BMW and Ford.
Correct that the driver IP screen does not show the native CarPlay map but it can show CarPlay route info on both the IP and HUD. (This is not the default setting but is easily set up.)

FWIW, here’s my EQB with the older MBUX NTG6 software:

ScottC2 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023 | 02:57 PM

EQE SUV 350 4Matic and 2024 Tesla MX LR
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
Most of my feedback centers around EQE Sedan. It's a 350V4. The EPA ratings are very, very conservative. The car easily exceeds it. The range forecast depends on two things: driving style and temperature. I've seen mine literally change its forecast as the temperature changes. As I have a '23 sedan, it doesn't have heat pump, so it's a bit less efficient in heating the cabin than any EQE SUV, as they all have heat pumps. But, it still has a waste heat loop, and despite lacking the heat pump, it still keeps quite a bit of its range in the cold temps. Though I like to give the accelerator a good push from time to time, or during a merge, I tend to drive very conservatively. My projected and "max" ranges are always identical. The car has a measurement for what it thinks you will get vs the theoretical max, and because I go easy on the throttle and use no-regen mode (allows coasting before favoring regen on brake pedal), it always ends up being the maximum theoretical range according to the car. All that's to say that while on a best-case day, I'll see a range forecast of about 354 miles (again, a 4Matic car). The actual is probably closer to 320-330, though I've never taken it up on the actual range. The battery has a ~90.6 kWh battery, and on efficient days with road trips I'm getting 3.5 to 3.6 mi/kWh, so it stands to reason I could reach 326 miles. Still, that's far higher than the 270 or so miles EPA rating.
I'm confused. Why do you think that not using regen improves your range? In my Tesla when I coast down hills it improves my range. Is the MB system different? To be honest I have not taken our EQE SUV 350 4matic on any trips so I have no observed data. I'm interested in your logic. (In a aside note I just had a Tesla Universal Wall Connector and it is awesome
Old 11-08-2023 | 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bluffton Bob
I'm confused. Why do you think that not using regen improves your range? I'm interested in your logic.
Indeed! I did not say that I wasn't using regen - just that I'm using the "no recuperation" mode. This does several things.
1. When you let go of the accelerator, it doesn't begin regen. Instead, you coast. This is more efficient, because you're using 100% of your built-up kinetic energy to move, minus friction losses in the system. Of course, you have wind resistance, but I'm excluding that as it affects both regen and coasting. So, I coast as far as makes sense, and then:
2. Use the brake pedal. When in "no recuperation" mode, the first 80% of brake travel does not engage the service brake. This is actually different than in "normal" and "maximum recuperation" modes, where any regen, whether pedal off or any brake pedal application, is also accompanied by service brakes. As an example, in "normal", if you let off the accelerator and begin to regen, the car also applies 9% service brakes.
2a. "normal" and "maximum" modes do provide a pretty linear brake pedal feel. This is why the service brakes are blended in. They feel the most "normal", while the feeling of "no recuperation" is a bit different because it relies exclusively on regen for the first 75-80% of the brake pedal travel. (It applies about 1%, sometimes 2% service brakes in this case, until more braking is needed).
3. If you regen instead of coasting, you're only recovering a fraction of your kinetic energy back to the battery, including losses. I don't think there are any EVs out there that can recover more than 40-50% of the kinetic energy, and it's dependent on the state of charge.

So, in summary, yes, I'm using a lot of regen. In fact, I'm almost exclusively using regen, except for the last few feet/MPH of travel where the service brakes kick in. But I do coast quite a bit, which is more efficient than draining my built-up kinetic energy and recovering a fraction of it back to the battery. Hope the logic makes sense!
Old 11-08-2023 | 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by bytemaster0
Indeed! I did not say that I wasn't using regen - just that I'm using the "no recuperation" mode. This does several things.
1. When you let go of the accelerator, it doesn't begin regen. Instead, you coast. This is more efficient, because you're using 100% of your built-up kinetic energy to move, minus friction losses in the system. Of course, you have wind resistance, but I'm excluding that as it affects both regen and coasting. So, I coast as far as makes sense, and then:
2. Use the brake pedal. When in "no recuperation" mode, the first 80% of brake travel does not engage the service brake. This is actually different than in "normal" and "maximum recuperation" modes, where any regen, whether pedal off or any brake pedal application, is also accompanied by service brakes. As an example, in "normal", if you let off the accelerator and begin to regen, the car also applies 9% service brakes.
2a. "normal" and "maximum" modes do provide a pretty linear brake pedal feel. This is why the service brakes are blended in. They feel the most "normal", while the feeling of "no recuperation" is a bit different because it relies exclusively on regen for the first 75-80% of the brake pedal travel. (It applies about 1%, sometimes 2% service brakes in this case, until more braking is needed).
3. If you regen instead of coasting, you're only recovering a fraction of your kinetic energy back to the battery, including losses. I don't think there are any EVs out there that can recover more than 40-50% of the kinetic energy, and it's dependent on the state of charge.
How does it work in "Intelligent" Regen mode (D Auto)? Does it also apply service brakes all the time?
Old 11-08-2023 | 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by nosnoop
How does it work in "Intelligent" Regen mode (D Auto)? Does it also apply service brakes all the time?
When it coasts, no, but when it applies the brakes it does blended braking like the other two modes, at least from what I can see.
nosnoop (11-08-2023)