EQE (V295) Sedan Upcoming

Mercedes Unveils the New EQE SUV and AMG EQE SUV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 437 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Crito
GLC has the newer interior too. It seemed like much more of a match than the GLE when I was thinking of buying an ICE vehicle for road tripping. With rear-wheel steering EQE SUV has the turning radius of a sub-compact though and feels very nimble/agile as a daily driver. I'd be hopping over curbs and scraping rims in a Lyriq. And with the seats folded down it didn't do too badly on the most prestigious and relevant test of cargo space that exists on planet Earth, Bjorn's banana box test:

https://youtu.be/vm3xC_LEGUQ
Do not understand your comments about the Lyric.

I believe the rear wheel steering comes with adaptive suspension which will add another $3,000 to the price.

I only count cargo space when you see out the back window. On long trips not being able to see out the rear window to see who is behind you on the interstate is hazardous. Piling boxes to roof is not something most of us do or want to do.

UPDATE: Just watched the video. Maybe should have done so before I posted: The video confirms my observations when I examined the EQE SUV in person: with the cover down, which everyone will do, and rear seats in a normal position, if you want the smallest space and the highest price, get the Mercedes EQE SUV!

Last edited by JTK44; 08-07-2023 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
If your use case is hauling lots of cargo then an electric van might be best, but some of those don't have rear windows at all. My use case is going to Walmart, Best Buy and Ikea. 24 roll packs of toilet paper, big screen TVs and furniture that'll take me all day to assemble fit just fine in my EQE SUV. And with rear-wheel steering I don't have to worry about doing $200 worth of damage to my rims while navigating the obstacle course of curbs Taco Bell requires just to get a burrito on my way home.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by JTK44
Was at my dealer last week, Rallye Motors in Roslyn, NY.

On the floor, plus several outside were both the EQE and EQE SUV:

EQE: Front interior room is basically about the same as my 2019E450. However, regardless of the dimensions given, the rear is noticeable smaller: Less headroom and the roof line makes it much more difficult to enter and exit. Little to no thigh support. While in the back you think you are in a small Honda. Fit, finish and materials are excellent, but that will not matter if your passengers are uncomfortable. The trunk on my E450 is not large, except in comparison to the trunk on the EQE.

Somehow when Mercedes designed this car they did not incorporate the battery in a way that gives room to the rear passengers. Price was $77,900 plus destination and options. Dealer does not mark up over MSRP. On the MB website there are lease deals where the FTC of $7,500 is in the lease plus dealer incentives.

see: https://www.rallyemotors.com/new-veh...ctric-vehicles

and

see: https://www.mbusa.com/en/special-offers

EQE SUV: This was the car that I am interested in and the write ups have been glowing: Front passengers have all the interior room they need. Ditto with rear passengers. But there is one overriding problem with this car. The only reason(s) I see to get an SUV over a sedan are more room for the rear passengers and more cargo space. On the former the EQE SUV is a HOME RUN. The legroom in the EQU SUV is probably greater than in an S Class. After setting the diver's seat, I am just over 6 feet, I had oodles of room behind the driver's seat. Here is the deal breaker for me: the space behind the rear seat is MINIMAL: by minimal I mean 14 cubic feet vs. 19 cubic feet in an GLC! So the space in the GLC is nearly 50% bigger than in the EQE SUV. By way of comparison my Ford Edge, not the Explorer but the mid size Edge, has 35 cubic feet of storage or almost 3 times found in the EQE SUV. The space behind the GLE is also almost three times as large as in the EQE SUV.

The price was $79,000 plus destination, plus options.

After walking out in disappointment, I went to the Cadillac dealer and looked at the Lyric. Very nice interior, but not a Mercedes. But on the other hand, the AWD Luxury 1 package, $66,000 fully equipped, is almost $20,000 less than the EQU SUV: The space behind the rear seat is almost double that of the EQE SUV.

Again somehow the German engineers have not figured out how to create useable interior space in their EV's. This to me is very, very disappointing.

Just my $.02 and hope this helps.
This is disappointing to read as all of the EQs, I was thinking that the EQE SUV was the most appealing, because it has the shortest overall length, shorter than my current E Class. The last thing I want is S Class rear leg room. So I am with you they totally blew it if they traded cargo room for excessive rear leg room.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:55 AM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
This is disappointing to read as all of the EQs, I was thinking that the EQE SUV was the most appealing, because it has the shortest overall length, shorter than my current E Class. The last thing I want is S Class rear leg room. So I am with you they totally blew it if they traded cargo room for excessive rear leg room.
That's why there are different cars and designs for you to choose from, as everyone has different needs.

For me, it's a perfect decision. I much prefer a comfortable passenger space, which I and my passengers can utilize frequently, if not daily.
The days when I need large cargo space with all seats up are limited. Usually, when I need larger cargo space, I can fold down the second row, completely or partially.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Glad it works for you.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I kept a Volvo for almost 200K miles and the leather on the front seats was cracking and tearing while the back seat still looked brand new. So I have to also agree that it's disappointing that so many makers of SUVs are turning them into mini-vans with extra seats. I was looking at one really nice ICE vehicle and instead of a spare tire even more seats pop out of the floor in the cargo area. Ugh! I'm not buying a school bus!
Old 08-08-2023, 09:47 AM

Received 219 Likes on 152 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Just for context, we have been taking the family on trips with our EQE sedan. We've been able to fit a large suitcase, a smaller suitcase for the three kids, a food cooler, bags of snacks, backpacks for equipment, productivity tools (I know, it defeats the purpose of the vacation), and plenty of accessories just fine without pushing, squeezing, or cramming. Yes, my W213 had a bigger trunk, but it didn't net us all that much more usable space. We also have a GLE with *way* more room, but to be honest, the EQE sedan was perfect for a 4-day, or even longer, family vacation.

As for the rear legroom, I do feel that this is in a large part driven by the Chinese market, where rear seat legroom is a huge socially-driven requirement for automakers. As China is the fastest-growing auto market by far, I wouldn't be surprised if every single automaker starts making this a priority - or at least developing more variants. I'm sure US automakers, who are desperate to keep a foothold there, are making similar decisions. I also think driving dynamics do matter, and huge volumes of space mean more weight and worse on-road performance. I know, we're talking about BEVs which already weigh a huge amount, but still, optimizations here are important. I originally was disappointed by the V295's trunk space, but am now overall quite pleased with it as it's very functional.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
I originally was disappointed by the V295's trunk space, but am now overall quite pleased with it as it's very functional.
Back in the old days, the 1960's and 1970's we had a saying "there is no substitute for cubic inches in an engine".

Today I will modify: "there is no substitute for cubic feet in a trunk."

Think how much more functional the trunk on your EQE sedan would be if the trunk was 19 cubic feet, which is the size of the new 2024 E Class.

As to more legroom: In China the E Class is the long wheelbase and this provides an extra 4 to 5 inches of legroom in the rear, making this car, IMO the prefect size. Unfortunately, being produced it would seem exclusively for the Chinese market, the E class L is not being exported.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:36 AM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
EQE 500
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
Just for context, we have been taking the family on trips with our EQE sedan. We've been able to fit a large suitcase, a smaller suitcase for the three kids, a food cooler, bags of snacks, backpacks for equipment, productivity tools (I know, it defeats the purpose of the vacation), and plenty of accessories just fine without pushing, squeezing, or cramming. Yes, my W213 had a bigger trunk, but it didn't net us all that much more usable space. We also have a GLE with *way* more room, but to be honest, the EQE sedan was perfect for a 4-day, or even longer, family vacation.

As for the rear legroom, I do feel that this is in a large part driven by the Chinese market, where rear seat legroom is a huge socially-driven requirement for automakers. As China is the fastest-growing auto market by far, I wouldn't be surprised if every single automaker starts making this a priority - or at least developing more variants. I'm sure US automakers, who are desperate to keep a foothold there, are making similar decisions. I also think driving dynamics do matter, and huge volumes of space mean more weight and worse on-road performance. I know, we're talking about BEVs which already weigh a huge amount, but still, optimizations here are important. I originally was disappointed by the V295's trunk space, but am now overall quite pleased with it as it's very functional.
I was also initially disappointed with the sedan trunk space but I did an airport pickup last night and I was able to fit two large suitcases and a small one in the EQE Sedan trunk. It's just tall enough to put a large suitcase on its side. It actually fit two where my brother's Audi Q4 "SUV" could only hold one.

Re: legroom, I think mostly it's a function of the battery pack. To fit the large pack in the EQS/EQE platform, they increased wheelbase and that determined the ratio of rear seat room vs trunk space.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere
I was also initially disappointed with the sedan trunk space but I did an airport pickup last night and I was able to fit two large suitcases and a small one in the EQE Sedan trunk. It's just tall enough to put a large suitcase on its side. It actually fit two where my brother's Audi Q4 "SUV" could only hold one.

Re: legroom, I think mostly it's a function of the battery pack. To fit the large pack in the EQS/EQE platform, they increased wheelbase and that determined the ratio of rear seat room vs trunk space.
Couple of things:

The Audi Q4 is a sub-compact SUV. The Q5 is their compact SUV, the Q7 their full size SUV. Clearly a full size sedan, EQE should have more trunk space than a sub-compact SUV.

Battery position: You are correct. The German engineers have not figured out how to give both rear legroom and cargo space in the EQE SUV.

Americans have: see the Cadillac Lyric:

• huge space in rear
  • more than double the cargo space of the EQE SUV
  • $15,000 to $20,000 less
  • about 50 miles more of range!

Has anyone said "BUY AMERICAN!"
Old 08-13-2023, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

German engineers know how to make things feel stable at autobahn speeds tho. I'm having a hard enough time not losing my license in a 500 SUV. Can't imagine how hard it'd be to resist in an AMG.

And why isn't this thread in the EQE SUV (sub) forum? And why is it a sub-forum in the first place? Who the #@$@ is running things around here!
Old 08-13-2023, 12:55 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
50km over the speed limit in Ontario is considered stunt driving, major penalties and confiscation of the car for a week. LLF was driving on the highway in our 350 SUV and was 4 short and did not even notice it. Could easily have done another 10 and still felt save. She was very surprised when I commented about it later.

I have asked for threads like this to be moved to the other forum, but silence.
The following users liked this post:
Crito (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, well, all I know is tickets in the US don't "age off" your record when they're for doing 113 MPH, on two wheels. Funny thing is that Yamaha Radian was kinda like my EQE 500 SUV: not too big (600 cc) and a good daily driver. I could hop over a curb without all the fairing junk like on my Kawasaki Ninja but it also had a powerful 4 banger and could get real low in a curve without scraping tail pipe. A great all-around bike. *sigh*

These threads ain't never gettin' moved. Might as well make new ones over there.
LastOne (08-13-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
German engineers know how to make things feel stable at autobahn speeds tho. I'm having a hard enough time not losing my license in a 500 SUV. Can't imagine how hard it'd be to resist in an AMG.

And why isn't this thread in the EQE SUV (sub) forum? And why is it a sub-forum in the first place? Who the #@$@ is running things around here!
I guess that is also a selling point, MB literally say their cars sold has to be stable at 300 kph due to the existence of the autobahn. So there is that.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LastOne
50km over the speed limit in Ontario is considered stunt driving, major penalties and confiscation of the car for a week. LLF was driving on the highway in our 350 SUV and was 4 short and did not even notice it. Could easily have done another 10 and still felt save. She was very surprised when I commented about it later.

I have asked for threads like this to be moved to the other forum, but silence.
Make that 30 days now I think?

As for the threads moving to other forum, they are revamping the site's interface but they had did that for a while, I am not sure what they are doing behind the scenes and when it will be done. https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8834059
Old 08-26-2023, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's kind of funny because I almost bought a Jaguar F-Pace P400 with turbocharged, supercharged and mild hybrid assisted inline six this morning (had to sneak that in inconspicuously, ahem) and the Jaguar Forums I perused beforehand have the exact same interface: https://www.jaguarforums.com/

Anywhosies. if they're reorganizing the site then please either double down on stoopid and make GLS and GLE subforums of the S and E-Class sedans or make EQS SUV and EQE SUV separate forums as they should have been all along. Just a suggestion... and also a great example of the confusion the marketing guys have caused with their EQ branding, but that's a whole other stoopid discussion. Doh!
LastOne (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

That's kind of funny because I almost bought a Jaguar F-Pace P400 with turbocharged, supercharged and mild hybrid assisted inline six this morning (had to sneak that in inconspicuously, ahem) and the Jaguar Forums I perused beforehand have the exact same interface: https://www.jaguarforums.com/

Anywhosies. if they're reorganizing the site then please either double down on stoopid and make GLS and GLE subforums of the S and E-Class sedans or make EQS SUV and EQE SUV separate forums as they should have been all along. Just a suggestion... and also a great example of the confusion the marketing guys have caused with their EQ branding, but that's a whole other stoopid discussion. Doh!
not sure if it is an mbworld.org issue or the parent (Internet Brands) and subsidy Internet Brands Automotive being the issue, as the jaguar forums is also "governed" by Internet Brands Automotive: https://www.internetbrandsauto.com/sites

That said, they are both based on VBulletin so similar interface other than the fact both owned by Internet Brands was expected.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Many brand forums are a very simliar design and interface to this one.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Although the plug-in hybrid will be available sooner, it won't be available in the US at all, right?
Old 02-22-2024, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Runner V8 4WD/Porsche 944 Turbo
Hello all,

Interested in the new 2024 E class, would be the 450, not a 4 cyl guy. Question I have seen stories/photos that it will be available in both AMG & non AMG versions. I prefer the traditional grill with hood ornament - not a fan of the "pinched" front bumper. But not seeing any of the non AMG units coming in the Country - anybody know if we will see it?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2024, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by mrjoe
Hello all,

Interested in the new 2024 E class, would be the 450, not a 4 cyl guy. Question I have seen stories/photos that it will be available in both AMG & non AMG versions. I prefer the traditional grill with hood ornament - not a fan of the "pinched" front bumper. But not seeing any of the non AMG units coming in the Country - anybody know if we will see it?

Thanks
I'd recommend going to the E Class forum for a whole lot more information (It's the W213 thread - there isn't a W214 thread yet) but as has been discussed relentlessly, the US will not be getting the luxury styling.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:49 AM
dtd

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C300
I went to my local dealer to check it out. It's nice, but they only have 1 in white color. I think $65K for a 4cyl car just like my 2017 C is a bit much. On the plus side, it looks better, the seats are more comfortable than the C. This car is good for a long trip. I would not go for the V6 engine. I think you don't need the Hyper screen, just a standard model will be enough. So if you can buy at $60K, it would be a good deal. Just wait for more cars to come. MB EVs are not selling well, because they are too expensive.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Runner V8 4WD/Porsche 944 Turbo
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
I'd recommend going to the E Class forum for a whole lot more information (It's the W213 thread - there isn't a W214 thread yet) but as has been discussed relentlessly, the US will not be getting the luxury styling.

Thank for the info. That's what I though, disappointing for me personally. Been a BMW guy, but not liking the styling of the new 5 series either. So going to sit pat for now, not excited about these new models.