EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

580 SUV sudden battery malfunction issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 06:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
535i
Exclamation 580 SUV sudden battery malfunction issue

We took delivery of our brand new 580 SUV couple days back. All was well until this morning when I suddenly noticed after driving about 20 miles that I was unable to change recuperation modes. Pulled over to check and put the car in park and turned off. Immediately after that the battery malfunction icon and error message showed up with the dreaded "Do no tow" message. Looks like there are several ways (https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/83609...-car-dead.html) to end up in this situation and this is a chronic issue with EQS. After about10 mins (time spent frantically searching online for a solution) tried turning on the car again and everything was back to normal. I am not getting reliable car vibes folks. Those considering should definitely wait for MB to fix all these issues. I predict a lot of recalls coming through, especially for this one.
The following users liked this post:
neerajbioxford (08-22-2023)
Old 10-16-2022, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Lucid is having this same problem also as reported on the Lucid Owners Forum. Some have bricked with less than 100 miles and one with 6K miles.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
This is a first generation EV product for MB, its bound to have possible issues. It seems that the EQS Sedan however was able to fix the 12v issue through a software update.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by js_cls
This is a first generation EV product for MB, its bound to have possible issues. It seems that the EQS Sedan however was able to fix the 12v issue through a software update.
Then why are not brand new ESQ SUV’s right off the assembly line provided with the same software fix/update?
Old 10-16-2022, 08:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
EQS 450X4 SUV, Rivian R1T
Every EV forum has many threads of cars dying on the road or at startup. Also every EV has had 12V battery issues. At this point there isn't any data from the EQS sedan (which has been out for about a year) showing it has reliability issues. I would expect similar reliability from the SUV. Unfortunately there will be problems for some people. Give Mercedes and the car a chance to resolve any issues and see if more problems pop up before making any judgements.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was under the impression that MB, unlike other car makers, had the systems separate so that when the 12v system malfunctioned and screens with other accessories did not work, the main motor(s) would still function so one could drive to a safe place. Don’t remember where I read this…
Old 10-17-2022, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 782 Likes on 502 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I think you just had bad luck. I haven't seen very many threads about this happening on the sedan. The SUV is just a sedan with a modified body and interior. The EV system is the same. Based on following the sedan section, I have really only seen one or two people with this experience.

I did have an issue with the PPF/Tint installer leaving the doors open and draining the battery on my second sedan. But it was easily resolved by Mercedes roadside assistance restarting the car with a 12V jump pack. When I PPF/Tint my SUV, I will just leave them with a 120V charger to keep the 12V battery charged (it charges whenever the car is plugged in).

I personally have owned two of the EQS 580 sedans and both have been flawless. So I have no hesitation on taking delivery of the SUV next month.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 10-17-2022 at 12:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
dblankenbaker (11-24-2022), JoeMa (10-17-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 12:51 PM

535i
The issue returned this morning and went away after some time. Starting to regret getting this car too early.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:06 PM

Have you taken your car to the dealer? It may be an easy fix?

End of last week we had our first issue with our EQS. If gave us a 12V battery warning and several 12V systems (windows, cameras, etc) stopped working. I drove it to the dealer at 5:30pm, they gave me a loaner, and looked at our car first thing in the morning. Turns out there is a small wire that runs from the 12V battery to the main computer to provide a charge status to the computer. This wire was routed underneath the main 12V cables and had been pinched. They replaced the wire and the problem was solved. The pinched wire caused the main computer to freak out because it couldn't tell the state of charge for the 12V battery and so it starting shutting systems down.

I would definitely take you EQS in and have the dealer check it out.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:53 PM

535i
Originally Posted by manitou202
Have you taken your car to the dealer? It may be an easy fix?

End of last week we had our first issue with our EQS. If gave us a 12V battery warning and several 12V systems (windows, cameras, etc) stopped working. I drove it to the dealer at 5:30pm, they gave me a loaner, and looked at our car first thing in the morning. Turns out there is a small wire that runs from the 12V battery to the main computer to provide a charge status to the computer. This wire was routed underneath the main 12V cables and had been pinched. They replaced the wire and the problem was solved. The pinched wire caused the main computer to freak out because it couldn't tell the state of charge for the 12V battery and so it starting shutting systems down.

I would definitely take you EQS in and have the dealer check it out.
Taking it in today to have it checked out. They are providing loaner with the expectation that the car will be in the service center for several days. Sucks
Old 10-20-2022, 10:37 PM

535i
Day 1 Update - Got a call from service advisor to update that they have no real update for me They are unable to perform any kind of repair work till mbusa analysis the logs and tells them what to do.

I basically signed up to be Guinea pig for their training program 🤦🏽‍♂️
Old 10-21-2022, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by 580selblack
Day 1 Update - Got a call from service advisor to update that they have no real update for me They are unable to perform any kind of repair work till mbusa analysis the logs and tells them what to do.

I basically signed up to be Guinea pig for their training program 🤦🏽‍♂️
Did this incident happen just once and then you turned it off and on and it worked? If so I would be inclined to keep driving the car until they hear back from Mercedes on the analysis of the data they downloaded.

With these computerized cars, sometimes they need a reboot or power cycle to resolve an issue. On my car I had a black MBUX screen one time and it went away after a night on the charger. I also had a similar issue to yours once on a Tesla. Same thing. Turned off and on, and it never came back.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:05 AM

535i
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Did this incident happen just once and then you turned it off and on and it worked? If so I would be inclined to keep driving the car until they hear back from Mercedes on the analysis of the data they downloaded.

With these computerized cars, sometimes they need a reboot or power cycle to resolve an issue. On my car I had a black MBUX screen one time and it went away after a night on the charger. I also had a similar issue to yours once on a Tesla. Same thing. Turned off and on, and it never came back.
It happened multiple times over three days.

It sounded like they are still figuring out how to collect all the data 🤦🏽‍♂️ Service advisors generally tend to withhold the gory details but they sounded untrained and not comfortable working on this vehicle.

Tesla is known for mediocre quality and that is why I did not buy one. Let’s not make mediocrity a generally accepted standard 😂 and also allow mb to remain at that level. I know they can do better .. that’s why I bet 150k on this (hopefully not a) lemon 🍋 .
Crito (05-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2022, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
It happened multiple times over three days.

It sounded like they are still figuring out how to collect all the data 🤦🏽‍♂️ Service advisors generally tend to withhold the gory details but they sounded untrained and not comfortable working on this vehicle.

Tesla is known for mediocre quality and that is why I did not buy one. Let’s not make mediocrity a generally accepted standard 😂 and also allow mb to remain at that level. I know they can do better .. that’s why I bet 150k on this (hopefully not a) lemon 🍋 .
all brands have a percentage of lemons. I actually bought a Porsche which had been lemoned by the previous owner a couple of years ago. Was a great car, and I even made a profit on it.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 799 Likes on 631 Posts
Florida has a strong lemon law. Basically, if the car suffers the same problem 3 times in the first 24 months OR the car is out of service for 30 consecutive days OR the car is out of service for various reasons for 15 cumulative days, the manufacturer has one final attempt to repair the problem(s). Every vehicle that has been declared a lemon has it VIN posted on the Florida DMV site. I've had lemons over the years and had the cars repurchased by the manufacturer/dealer for the original sale amount including taxes. I've also had a no cost trade for a 2 year newer model.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:51 PM

535i
Day 3 update - Received call from my advisor that car is fixed and ready for pick up 😂 . I was pleasantly shocked that all of sudden they discovered exactly what the problem was. Anyways .. it does look like that they made an honest attempt with the little knowledge and training that have at the moment. Documentation suggests that they were able to simulate the fault codes using some kind of chaos tester. They simulated the battery malfunction codes and also discovered some other issues was driving assist and other systems. They claim that these issues can and will be fixed with a series of software updates that only dealers can do - cannot be received through OTA at home. They did a test drive after the software patching and declared it fixed but although I am skeptical I would like to stay optimistic (time will tell 🤞. )

One nice side effect is now a bunch of features are slightly improved .. including HUD and ambient lighting.

I would suggest to make an appointment and get these updates done just in case. But I am not sure if dealers will accept unless you are seeing problems - they might only do it at scheduled maintenance intervals.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB EQS SUV 580
So, I'm in the list of lucky people who has the issue with Battery malfunction.
Left the car for wrap and in 2 days received that battery is critical.
2 more days after picked up the car but couldn't even start it, nothing worked including doors.
MB roadside assistance send the tech with jump starter who never seen the EV before😀, he connected jump starter which helped to bring back the screen but 5+ errors showed up and I couldn't start the car to drive to charge the battery as some forums suggest.
Finally had to tow it to dealership.
Waiting for feedback, preliminary was told that it can take 3+ days since they don't have experience with EV😊
Old 10-31-2022, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ivan Neprin
2 more days after picked up the car but couldn't even start it, nothing worked including doors.
MB roadside assistance send the tech with jump starter who never seen the EV before😀, he connected jump starter which helped to bring back the screen but 5+ errors showed up and I couldn't start the car to drive to charge the battery as some forums suggest.
Waiting for feedback, preliminary was told that it can take 3+ days since they don't have experience with EV😊
Your issue may be a dead 12V battery which is different than the original post. Several people with EQS sedans had their 12V batteries die when getting PPF installed. The car sits for days without using the high voltage battery and the doors are left open during this time. As a result the 12V battery drains while running small accessories like internal lighting.

https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/836098-12v-battery-critical-car-dead.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/837508-12v-battery-low.html
Old 11-08-2022, 05:45 PM

535i
Angry

The battery malfunction error came back today as I had predicted. Back to the shop !! (
Old 11-17-2022, 02:22 PM

535i
The battery malfunction error came back today as I had predicted. Back to the shop !! (
I decided not to take it to shop for now since the problem is so intermittent .. just don't have the time or energy for this right now. Also there are other faults that keep showing up like ambient lighting warning errors .. I will wait for a more failure types to show up so they can fix all of them at once.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes EQS 580
Angry

My EQS 580 had same problem today, had the car for 2 weeks
I expected better from MB. I would definitely take it in ASAP. They had recalls about fire hazards
Crito (05-21-2023)
Old 12-12-2022, 08:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz EQS 580 SUV, Audi R8 Performance Quattro, Porsche Cayman S
Any update from folks who reported the issues? @MrDue @580selblack @Ivan Neprin
Old 12-14-2022, 02:06 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan Neprin
What is up with MB USA not providing any proper training to dealers on EV. If you are going "all-in" on electrification, then you need to make sure dealers (sales and service) are properly trained. I dropped my car at the dealer to check the battery range and the SA didn't know how to turn on the car! I had to show him the button on the center console!

I also talked to an SA at the other dealer in town. He was asking me questions about how I charge which was fine until he says, "so do you install a charger at your home? Is it one of those fast chargers? Because we still don't know anything about how charging happens on the car". He knew nothing about L1 vs L2 vs L3 charging.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’ve never met a salesman that knew more about the car or truck I was buying than I did…
manitou202 (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 08:52 PM

535i
Originally Posted by abhansali
What is up with MB USA not providing any proper training to dealers on EV. If you are going "all-in" on electrification, then you need to make sure dealers (sales and service) are properly trained. I dropped my car at the dealer to check the battery range and the SA didn't know how to turn on the car! I had to show him the button on the center console!

I also talked to an SA at the other dealer in town. He was asking me questions about how I charge which was fine until he says, "so do you install a charger at your home? Is it one of those fast chargers? Because we still don't know anything about how charging happens on the car". He knew nothing about L1 vs L2 vs L3 charging.
This unfortunately seems to be common at the moment. Dealers and service people are CLUELESS with these new EVs. Every little thing requires a call to Germany HQ - fixes are best effort and not guaranteed. Service centers however charge top dollar to MB for servicing these vehicles, so they are very eager to accept the vehicle and provide a loaner. They are basically self training themselves with our time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 580 SUV sudden battery malfunction issue