EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Review after one month and 1750 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Review after one month and 1750 miles

I saw the other review posted by FLGatorz and thought I would post mine as well. I purchased on Halloween and now have 1750 miles on the car. Just a quick background. I live in Austin TX and bought from Mercedes of Oklahoma City. Went up and drove the car back home (less than 400 miles). I had a car on order, but ended up cancelling it and picked up this car "off the lot" at MSRP. It was a car that someone else ordered but did not take delivery of. I have to give a shout out to MB of OKC and my sales "team" there. What a great experience. Very responsive before I purchased and a wonderful delivery experience as well. They hooked me up with some cool MB swag also, including 3 MB mugs a MB backpack and blanket (see below). Apparently they sell a lot of cars into Texas and with the EQS SUV, they set me up in the app, activated all the services while I was there and setup my 2 yr free charging and we were all set to use the free charging on our trip back.

Here is what we love about the car:

1. Best car in terms of drive and build that I have owned. Not a rattle or creak anywhere, solid material quality, smooth drive, great acceleration. I have owned a 2004 E500, a 2009 BMW 750i and 2013 and 2014 GL 450 and this car beats all of those vehicles.
2. MBUX - wow. it takes a few drives, but then you realize how easily it is to actually use. Love the massage programs, turn them on almost every time we get in the car. Also, the Mercedes Navigation is almost as good as Google Maps or Waze. It has got us on the wrong side of the road a few times, but I prefer to use it over Android Auto or Apple Carplay and Google Maps/Waze.
3. HEPA filter - watching it clean out the air from the outside to the inside and showing the air quality inside vs. outside is really amazing.
4. Heating and cooled seats - all other vehicles I have owned have this and it has always worked, but always kind of just "okay". The heating and cooling on the EQS seats is really good and much better than what I have used in the past
5. MB star wood trim - this just looks so luxurious and makes you feel like you just bought a $150K car.
6. Heads up display w/AR - I had heads up display in my 750i, but this is just so much better. And the way it shows the lane changing and the AR is really cool.
7. Lane assist and Distronic and overall driving assistance features - on our drive back from OKC, I would set the cruise on and could even keep my hands off the wheel for up to about 5 mins before I just had to touch the wheel. It works really well to keep in the lanes and effective drive the car on the highway. This will make long journeys more pleasant for sure.
8. Strong and Intelligent Recoup - initially I hated this, and I just drove with no recoup or normal. But over time, I have gotten to learn these modes better and now I pretty much drive with strong recoup when going down hills and then intelligent recoup otherwise. I have figured out how the car seems to brake and adjust in intelligent mode to the car ahead. OF COURSE, I HAVE TO BE READY TO BRAKE AT ANY TIME, but I feel I can let the car do more of the driving work especially in stop and go traffic. This took some time to get used to, but now I use it all the time. I also have turned off "Creep mode" which took some getting used to especially when pulling in and out of parking spots, but now I have the hang of it.
9. Space under the center console for a purse, tissue box, etc and the space in the center console and the cup holder/charger area are all great.

Things I don't like and MB should fix:
1. Range - don't know if it is my car or the weather or what, but on my initial drive from OKC to Austin I got about 280 miles. I didn't monitor for the next few charges, but then I noticed having to charge every other day and started monitoring almost every cycle. I am regularly getting around 180-190 miles range (I typically drive 80% - 30% and charge once under 30%). Having this checked out the dealership as we speak.
2. Seats - even though I love the pillow and the look of my 805 option code seats, overall, I feel the seats are a little stiffer than what I had in the GL450. Also, the front seat seems a little shorter. I am 6ft tall and my legs hang over the edge of the seat more than in the GL450. Back seats also, especially the middle seat is not great. Recline max angle on the 2nd row is not great. I would like it to recline more if you pull it forward a bit more. Also, the whole 2nd row entry/exit to the 3rd row is MUCH MUCH worse than the GL450. takes way to long to hold the button and have the seat move forward so someone can get into the 3rd row. Also, it is workout to raise and lower the 3rd seat. On the GL450, it was all automatic with the push of a button - this is going backward. MB - take note and pls fix this. While I love the pillow and headrest, my wife still feels they are uncomfortable for her height and has to remove the pillow to make it comfortable - but the headrests in the GL450 were also bad especially in the rear seat.
3. Memory function - it needs to remember recoup mode, dynamic select mode, seat position after entry/exit from 2nd to 3rd row, etc.
4. Center console buttons - I keep pressing these by mistake when I rest my arm on the console. Don't like the positioning of this panel.
5. Tablet in back seat in Pinnacle Trim - useless and a waste of money. I can buy my own Samsung tablet if I want one.
6. Overall storage space in the back - coming out of a GL450, the rear trunk compartment was more functional in the GL450 and also the storage under the trunk in the EQS SUV is too small. I removed the cover and then made a little space for the emergency charger and tire kit, because there is no good place to put those items otherwise. Why can't they figure out a way to give a small frunk space to store these items like the Tesla - a big miss in my opinion.
7. Small glitches in the Navi, and phone connections - don't like it, but I think it is normal stuff in a new car and will get sorted out hopefully with updates.

Overall, love the car, and I am looking forward to the first long road trip (hopefully in March). That will be the real test of the range and charging network, but at the end of the day, this car allows us to live the big American car dream (yes it is made in the USA!) without the guilt of only getting only 15 miles to the gallon. Feel very fortunate to be able to own this level of vehicle and will enjoy it for sure.

The following 8 users liked this post by abhansali:
bpans (12-12-2022), docduc (12-11-2022), guess2098 (12-11-2022), JoeMa (12-13-2022), js_cls (12-10-2022), LAZARU5 (12-12-2022), QuadBenz (12-14-2022), stewartmmorris (12-12-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2022, 01:51 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
For your range 80-30% has 180 miles that is really good. My taycan 80-30% only 120 miles…. My wife’s eqs580 suv is coming on Wednesday, can’t wait
Old 12-11-2022, 02:05 PM

No my 80-30 is about 90-95 miles so I extrapolate that to 180-190 at most. I find myself plugging in every 2-3 days to make sure I don't have range anxiety under 30% which could be under 60 miles for me.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:08 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
A really nice review, abhansali! Looks like you managed to acquire a really fine vehicle!
I have a couple of specific questions for you
about the seats. When you say "cooled", from what I have read elsewhere, I assume this means ambient temp ventilation, rather than refrigerated air. Is that what you're experiencing? I have read that that is still quite nice.
And my other question is about the heat source for your heated seats. Does the heat come through the ventilation holes as warm air? Or, is there a more "traditional" heating element warming your bottom?

The reason why I ask about the heat is that, if I am lucky, I will be ordering an EQE SUV later this week and I will have to choose between traditional element heated seats or the ventilated heated/"cooled" seats. The choice, obviously, affects the upholstery options available to me. They are somewhat limited if I go with the ventilated seats. Furthermore, if the seats offered are being heated by heat generated from the motors and battery, then this might be a more range-friendly seat choice than going with traditional heating elements.

Thank you, in advance, for any light you can shed on this!

Old 12-11-2022, 02:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
Originally Posted by abhansali
No my 80-30 is about 90-95 miles so I extrapolate that to 180-190 at most. I find myself plugging in every 2-3 days to make sure I don't have range anxiety under 30% which could be under 60 miles for me.
I see. 90-95 miles is low. I do find my taycan has more range with regen off. people said with strong regen on is actually reduce range. give it a try and good luck to you
Old 12-11-2022, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by guess2098
I see. 90-95 miles is low. I do find my taycan has more range with regen off. people said with strong regen on is actually reduce range. give it a try and good luck to you
Hmm..I will try that. Right now I'm going out of town until Jan so I gave my car for updates and wants them to check this out.

I am mildly concerned because I read an article about a guy who had his Ford truck bricked by an EA supercharger. As an engineer I don't think it is entirely impossible for a bad charger to damage the ability of a battery to charge. Most likely it is weather but here in Austin it has been pretty warm and another member in Dallas recently posted his eqs SUV is getting him 300+ range. Let see what the dealer says, will keep the forum updated.
The following users liked this post:
guess2098 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ScottC2
A really nice review, abhansali! Looks like you managed to acquire a really fine vehicle!
I have a couple of specific questions for you
about the seats. When you say "cooled", from what I have read elsewhere, I assume this means ambient temp ventilation, rather than refrigerated air. Is that what you're experiencing? I have read that that is still quite nice.
And my other question is about the heat source for your heated seats. Does the heat come through the ventilation holes as warm air? Or, is there a more "traditional" heating element warming your bottom?

The reason why I ask about the heat is that, if I am lucky, I will be ordering an EQE SUV later this week and I will have to choose between traditional element heated seats or the ventilated heated/"cooled" seats. The choice, obviously, affects the upholstery options available to me. They are somewhat limited if I go with the ventilated seats. Furthermore, if the seats offered are being heated by heat generated from the motors and battery, then this might be a more range-friendly seat choice than going with traditional heating elements.

Thank you, in advance, for any light you can shed on this!
So I'm not sure, but my previous MBZs with ventilated seats have felt more like a strong fan. The EQS SUV ventilated seats feel more like AC, but I hear what sounds like a fan in the seat when I turn it on. But they feel much cooler than the ventilated seats in my old GL450 or E500. In terms of the heat, definitely a more traditional heating, but it gets much much hotter which is great on a cold day. Now, keep in mind I do have the DB0 package which has the rapid heating capability so I don't know if this changes the method and level of heating. I also have the massaging seats that has heated shoulder and back massage options which is nice. Also in MBUX you can actually select which parts of the seats you want the heating to be focused on which is nice. Sorry I can't send a pic since the car is at the dealer.

If there is an area you would spend extra on the EQE suv I would definitely get the DB0 and heated and ventilated seats (I don't know how the options are setup in the EQE)
The following users liked this post:
ScottC2 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 09:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Thank you very much, abhansali!
Very helpful input!
Old 12-12-2022, 07:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz EQS 580 SUV, Audi R8 Performance Quattro, Porsche Cayman S
@abhansali Great review. Please keep us updated on your findings about the range.