EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Has anyone lowered their EQS SUV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 07:53 PM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Has anyone lowered their EQS SUV?

My wife struggles a bit to get into the passenger seat. We programmed the M2 seat position to be back and low, but the floor is still fairly high.

Has anyone successfully lowered the EQS SUV 30 to 40 mm? If an EQE wagon was on the MB roadmap I would definitely consider it. The Taycan CT was a lot easier for my wife to enter and exit.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 605 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
My wife uses a step stool somewhat like this but taller to get into the EQS due to her height and poor health. It took me forever to get her to ride in the EQS SUV until I found the stool and now she doesn’t want to ride in anything else!

Old 01-17-2023, 09:08 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
My wife uses a step stool somewhat like this but taller to get into the EQS due to her height and poor health. It took me forever to get her to ride in the EQS SUV until I found the stool and now she doesn’t want to ride in anything else!
My wife approaches the SUV with a walker or in a wheelchair. She can stand but cannot walk due to limited use of her right leg. She holds onto the grab bar to help pull herself up but the floor is a little high to easily get her left leg into the car. She pretends that she is okay because she knows I like the EQS SUV. I think lowering the car 30 to 40mm would help. I am hoping that an EQE wagon comes along in the next year or two.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:40 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
my wife is 4'11 that is why she wanted the running boards. I think they are useless she swears by them.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 281 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
To my knowledge, the EQS SUV cannot be lowered beyond the normal ride height. It can be raised for off-road use but that's all. That said, I've owned a lot of full size SUV's over the past 10 years (5 in total) and the EQS SUV is to lowest of the bunch and easiest for me and my wife to get in and out of. We love it.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 628 Posts
I walked away from a GLE 450 because my wife couldn't mount the vehicle without a stool. They need to have a kneeling mode like public buses have.
The following users liked this post:
stewartmmorris (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:54 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by fgwinn
My wife struggles a bit to get into the passenger seat. We programmed the M2 seat position to be back and low, but the floor is still fairly high.

Has anyone successfully lowered the EQS SUV 30 to 40 mm? If an EQE wagon was on the MB roadmap I would definitely consider it. The Taycan CT was a lot easier for my wife to enter and exit.
Give it time i'm sure someone will heck the airmatic system like the airmatic on ICE cars. I did it to my old E63 airmatic system by adding washers to make it go lower. I hope someone finds a way to lower it. I'm 5,9 and i have trouble getting in. I don't want to wear out the bottom seat side cushion too much.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:40 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I did the 6000 mile tire rotation today. While I had the wheels off I snapped a couple of pictures of the airmatic suspension links. The rear links are very short so the aftermarket link vendors may not be able to use their normal design for the rear lowering links.

I am hoping that Renntech is able to figure out the programing required to make their Digital Lowering Module for the EQS SUV. Brabus is promoting a similar product for the EQS Sedan. Renntech offers one version of the DLM that features speed dependent lowering. This means that you can lower the car when driving slow or parked, but have it automatically return to the normal factory height at a preset speed.

Update 8-Mar-2023: Corrected center-to-center dimensions of rear/front links. Originally shown as 50mm/86mm. Corrected values to 45mm/85mm. Overall length of factory links, rear/front, is 60mm/100mm.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 03-08-2023 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Corrected dimensions on photos of front/rear links.
dblankenbaker (11-28-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 08:12 PM

2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
Thumbs up

I did the 6000 mile tire rotation today. While I had the wheels off I snapped a couple of pictures of the airmatic suspension links. The rear links are very short so the aftermarket link vendors may not be able to use their normal design for the rear lowering links.

I am hoping that Renntech is able to figure out the programing required to make their Digital Lowering Module for the EQS SUV. Brabus is promoting a similar product for the EQS Sedan. Renntech offers one version of the DLM that features speed dependent lowering. This means that you can lower the car when driving slow or parked, but have it automatically return to the normal factory height at a preset speed.
Just what i needed to see! the EQS can be lowered with shorter links. Great Job man! thanks!

Last edited by 23-EQS580-SUV; 03-07-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:18 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by 23-EQS580-SUV
Just what i needed to see! the EQS can be lowered with shorter links. Great Job man! thanks!
I don't fully understand how the ride height sensors work. However, since both the front and rear level sensors are positioned below the upper suspension arm, I believe the links need to be lengthened in order to lower the car.

I don't know the actual alignment stats for MB SUVs, but from my casual observation the newer GLS-450s seem to have a lot more negative camber than the EQS SUV. Hopefully, lowering the EQS SUV 30mm to 40mm won't tear up the tires too much.

Have you lowered one of your MB SUVs in the past?

Last edited by LAZARU5; 03-07-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:36 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I contacted Airmatic Lowering Links in the UK to determine whether or not its Evolution Lowering Links were available for the EQS SUV. This particular link features ball sockets with right-hand and left-hand threads so they can be adjusted without removing one end from the ball stud. Unfortunately, Mercedes-Benz has changed the ball studs from 10mm to 8mm on its newer chassis. The only way to use the currently available links with 10mm end fittings is to change the ball studs on the chassis and sensor arms to a 10mm size. This would not be an easily reversible modification.

Eventually, I expect the link suppliers to offer a version of their kits with 8mm sockets.

Update 09-Mar-2023: Turns out that the ball studs are 10mm in diameter. However, the ***** are no longer metal, so it is possible that metal ball sockets with spring retaining clips may damage the plastic ***** when the sockets are installed or removed.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 03-09-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:29 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
The factory links part numbers are 00-29-579-824 (front) and 00-29-579-823 (rear). I had hoped to order these links to confirm that an 8mm ball stud would properly fit into the links. Apparently, on the EQS, the links are part of the level sensor assembly which includes the bracket, sensor, and link. Each sensor assembly has an MSRP close to $300. I believe the links are pre-installed onto the sensor arm in the level sensor assembly. This makes me a little apprehensive about popping the link off of the ball studs. It's not clear to me if the links can be removed without damaging the link and/or ball stud. The older MB chassis had removable ball studs attached to the sensor arm with a nut. The EQS ball studs are an integral part of the suspension arm bracket and sensor arm. The ball stud on the sensor arm appears to be plastic and may not be able to withstand repeated removal and reinstalls.

Hopefully someone braver than myself will post a YouTube video describing how they changed the links.

I believe the part numbers for the EQS sensor assemblies are:

Front: 297-905-10-01 and 297-905-09-01
Rear: 297-905-16-02 and 297-905-15-02

Note 09-Mar-2023: Confirmed diameter of ball studs is 10mm.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 03-09-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:22 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
While not very informative from a how to perspective, this YouTube video featuring a lowered EQS sedan does confirm that the EQS SUV (with the same sensor assemblies) can be lowered by changing the links.

Personally, I would not lower the car as much as shown in the video since it will drop even further in sport mode at high speed.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brabus has a lowered EQS on their website so I would try contacting them
Old 02-14-2023, 01:52 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Brabus has a lowered EQS on their website so I would try contacting them
The Brabus module is backordered without an ETA, expensive, and has a 50% cancellation fee if you get tired of waiting.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:09 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
The part numbers (in post #12 above) for what I believe are the level sensor assemblies are described as Turning Angle Sensors in the online dealer parts catalogs. I am having a difficult time understanding how these sensors measure the turning angle if they just monitor the up and down movement of the suspension. Can someone explain the relationship beteen the turning angle sensors and the ride height sensors?
Old 02-14-2023, 06:20 PM

2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
Talking

The part numbers (in post #12 above) for what I believe are the level sensor assemblies are described as Turning Angle Sensors in the online dealer parts catalogs. I am having a difficult time understanding how these sensors measure the turning angle if they just monitor the up and down movement of the suspension. Can someone explain the relationship between the turning angle sensors and the ride height sensors?
If someone is mechanically inclined and want to use his factory links to R&D this project all they have to do is cut the links in half, thread the two pieces together to make it adjustable. Bam! adjustable links! LOL
Old 02-15-2023, 07:59 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
If someone is mechanically inclined and want to use his factory links to R&D this project all they have to do is cut the links in half, thread the two pieces together to make it adjustable. Bam! adjustable links! LOL
Old 02-15-2023, 10:26 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Not really possible. The links have an I-beam like design, they are not a solid square bar. Plus, since the links are not available as a separate part, they can't be easily replaced.

EQS SUV front link
Old 02-15-2023, 11:52 AM

2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
Not really possible. The links have an I-beam like design, they are not a solid square bar. Plus, since the links are not available as a separate part, they can't be easily replaced.

EQS SUV front link
If someone 3D print these out in different lengths and sell them I'm sure they would make a ton of money before other tuners start manufacturing their own. 3D printing would be a lot cheaper than the metal one. I would want them to look like OEM. I would buy a few sets for sure.
Old 03-03-2023, 02:50 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
If someone 3D print these out in different lengths and sell them I'm sure they would make a ton of money before other tuners start manufacturing their own. 3D printing would be a lot cheaper than the metal one. I would want them to look like OEM. I would buy a few sets for sure.
The links and ball studs on the EQS SUV are substantially different than the links on Mercedes-Benz chassis from 10 to 15 years ago. The ball studs on the EQS [are smaller,] an integral part of the sensor arm and suspension bracket, and the sensor side ball stud is plastic. In other words, the ball studs are not field replaceable. In contrast, the ball studs on older cars appeared to be off the shelf products with a threaded post held in place with a standard nut. The links are now made from plastic with a socket that more fully encloses the ball to minimize the amount of debris entering the socket. I do not know this for certain, but, I believe the links are probably intended to be installed just once. After repeatedly removing and reinstalling the links its retention capacity is almost certainly compromised. There is a good chance that the circular spring retaining ring near the mouth of readily available ball sockets with a safety clip on the outside of the ball could damage the plastic ball stud on the sensor arm.

I have been reluctant to remove one of the sensor level links without fully understanding the amount of force required to pry the link from the integral ball studs. I tried ordering the front sensor assemblies without success but did finally find a rear sensor assembly which should arrive soon. I have acquired a large assortment of ball sockets in an attempt to find one suitable for the application. My initial intention is to determine the length of the links required to lower the SUV a modest amount, say 15mm. This is the same amount that the car is lowered in Sport mode when driving at 75 mph or above. I plan to use adjustable links initially, but have been contemplating having some custom length links made so that they look more like factory links.

23-EQS580-SUV mentioned an interest in acquiring a few sets of links. What is the target amount that you are hoping to lower your SUV?

Note added 06-Mar-2023: OEM links are injection molded since 3D printed links would not provide the strength and tight tolerances required for the links to function properly.

Correction 09-Mar-2023: The diameter of the ball stud is 10mm not 8mm as indicated previously.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 03-09-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:29 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
The part numbers (in post #12 above) for what I believe are the level sensor assemblies are described as Turning Angle Sensors in the online dealer parts catalogs. I am having a difficult time understanding how these sensors measure the turning angle if they just monitor the up and down movement of the suspension. Can someone explain the relationship beteen the turning angle sensors and the ride height sensors?
I think I have an explanation for the reason that the ride level sensors are referred to as Turning Angle Sensors in the online Mercedes-Benz parts catalog and on the package label. The German description for the ride level sensor is DREHWINKELSENSOR. Google translates this term as Rotation Angle Sensor, which makes sense since more than likely it refers to the angle of the suspension arm as it "rotates" from its lower to its upper limit. Apparently, the MB employee responsible for preparing the package label and catalog entry did not think people would understand Rotation and gratuitously changed the description to Turning Angle Sensor. I also checked the translations of the French and Spanish descriptions on the package. French is same as the German translation, Rotation Angle Sensor. However, translation of the Spanish description seems to be the least ambiguous, Angle of Rotation Sensor.

I now have more confidence that changing the link length is not going to affect the steering or where the headlights are pointing.

23-EQS580-SUV (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:29 PM

2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
I think I have an explanation for the reason that the ride level sensors are referred to as Turning Angle Sensors in the online Mercedes-Benz parts catalog and on the package label. The German description for the ride level sensor is DREHWINKELSENSOR. Google translates this term as Rotation Angle Sensor, which makes sense since more than likely it refers to the angle of the suspension arm as it "rotates" from its lower to its upper limit. Apparently, the MB employee responsible for preparing the package label and catalog entry did not think people would understand Rotation and gratuitously changed the description to Turning Angle Sensor. I also checked the translations of the French and Spanish descriptions on the package. French is same as the German translation, Rotation Angle Sensor. However, translation of the Spanish description seems to be the least ambiguous, Angle of Rotation Sensor.

I now have more confidence that changing the link length is not going to affect the steering or where the headlights are pointing.

I found a local guy who can 3D print these out for $5 each. He can print the links out shorter or longer as needed but I don't have spare links to leave with him.

Does MB sell just the links?

Old 03-08-2023, 03:42 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
3D printed level sensor links

I found a local guy who can 3D print these out for $5 each. He can print the links out shorter or longer as needed but I don't have spare links to leave with him.

Does MB sell just the links?
MB does not sell the links separately even though a part number is printed on them. The sensors are sold as an assembly with the links pre-installed on the ball studs of both the sensor arm and the suspension side bracket. If the sensors ever have to be replaced, swapping out the complete rear units would not be too difficult. If I ever changed the fronts I would probably remove the sensor from the suspension side bracket and leave the old bracket in place.

I hope your local 3D printer guy has the correct plastic filament that is both flexible enough to stretch over the ball studs and has the self lubricating properties of the factory links. I would not expect links printed with ABS to work very well, if at all.

The sensor side ball stud and its stem are plastic and an integral part of the sensor arm. The arm does not appear to be easily removed. The ball stud on the other end appears to have a metal (probably stainless steel) stem, but the actual ball seems to be plastic. I will confirm this when I remove the link from the spare sensor assembly I purchased.

I made a crude link wedge removal tool from plastic construction shims. If it works to remove the link without damaging the ball studs or factory links I will post some photos. Prying the links off with a screw driver or pair of needle nose pliers as seen on YouTube videos of link installations on older MBs is likely to damage the sensor arms, the front suspension side bracket, or the ball studs. The metal ball sockets with an internal spring retaining clip at the mouth of the socket are likely to gouge the plastic ball studs when installing or removing the ball sockets. This may be the reason that there are no commercially available links for the EQS yet since they require a different type of ball socket than the aftermarket vendors typically use.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 03-08-2023 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:21 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Calculating length of links to lower EQS SUV.

I removed the passenger side front and rear wheels in order to take some measurements for calculating the length of the links to lower the car. The factory set up lowers the car by 15mm when in Sport Mode and driving at 75mph or above. The Brabus electronic module lowers the EQS sedan up to 15mm and 25mm in the front and rear respectively. I set a target amount of 15mm to lower the SUV to try for a few thousand miles to determine how evenly the tires wear with the longer links.

It's not very easy to take measurements of the suspension components while they are installed on the car. I tried to be as accurate as possible. The length of the suspension arms to which the ball studs are mounted for both the front and the rear is 320mm. This measurement is taken at the centerline of the pivot point on either end of the arms. The suspension side ball stud is mounted 108mm from the inner pivot point in the rear, and 83mm from the inner pivot point in the front. If I am oversimplifying the calculation of the change in link length to drop the car 15mm, I welcome any comments to correct my understanding of the suspension geometry.

Rear: 108/320 * 15 = 5.06mm (round to 5.0mm)
Front: 83/320 * 15 = 3.89mm (round to 4.0mm)

I plan to make some adjustable links that are 50mm long for the rear and 89mm long for the front to verify my logic.
The following 3 users liked this post by LAZARU5:
23-EQS580-SUV (03-09-2023), dblankenbaker (11-18-2023), sno (03-10-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone lowered their EQS SUV?