EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

EQS SUV vs EQE SUV (which has heat pump)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2023 | 08:44 AM

Bmw
EQS SUV vs EQE SUV (which has heat pump)

I am a bit of a noob in the EV world and going to pick up an EQE SUV 350 4matic this week. It is an inventory car but the dealer also has plenty EQS SUV 450 4matic in stock and given the massive incentives on EQS, the lease will not be that much different vs EQE SUV. However, I read that the current EQS don't have heat pump but the EQE SUV does. On the other hand, the rated range of EQS SUV is a bit higher. I was wondering how much of an issue not having heat pump would be if I get the EQS? Any general recommendation on one vs other? Is EQS cabin a lot nicer than EQE?
Old 04-30-2023 | 09:08 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by mattsrs
I am a bit of a noob in the EV world and going to pick up an EQE SUV 350 4matic this week. It is an inventory car but the dealer also has plenty EQS SUV 450 4matic in stock and given the massive incentives on EQS, the lease will not be that much different vs EQE SUV. However, I read that the current EQS don't have heat pump but the EQE SUV does. On the other hand, the rated range of EQS SUV is a bit higher. I was wondering how much of an issue not having heat pump would be if I get the EQS? Any general recommendation on one vs other? Is EQS cabin a lot nicer than EQE?
I have not taken delivery of my first Mercedes yet, so cannot give any input from experience here. But, I have done months worth of reading and internet research and can share a few of my observations, which could be relevant for you:
- The battery is larger in the EQS than the EQE SUV, so this fact would probably "offset" some of the range difference between the two vehicles due to lack of heat pump
- If you're in a climate that is close to 70 degrees F much of the time, you may not really suffer any "penalty" for not having a heat pump on the EQS. If you are in a cold climate, you will suffer. Wild guess: Maybe 5-15% range from the various postings I've read.
- If you're getting a 4matic, you should know that the EQE SUV's can actually de-couple the front motor when not needed during highway driving. On the EQE's this is purported to lead to up to 5% range enhancement. It is my understanding that the 2022 and 2023(?) EQS's do not have this capability.
- If you're contemplating buying a maintenance package, take a look at the cost of it for the EQE vs. the EQS. Where I am, the EQS maintenance plan is significantly more expensive. Not surprising, I guess.
- Ditto above for extended warranty
- Ditto above for insurance.
Old 04-30-2023 | 10:18 AM

Bmw
Originally Posted by ScottC2
I have not taken delivery of my first Mercedes yet, so cannot give any input from experience here. But, I have done months worth of reading and internet research and can share a few of my observations, which could be relevant for you:
- The battery is larger in the EQS than the EQE SUV, so this fact would probably "offset" some of the range difference between the two vehicles due to lack of heat pump
- If you're in a climate that is close to 70 degrees F much of the time, you may not really suffer any "penalty" for not having a heat pump on the EQS. If you are in a cold climate, you will suffer. Wild guess: Maybe 5-15% range from the various postings I've read.
- If you're getting a 4matic, you should know that the EQE SUV's can actually de-couple the front motor when not needed during highway driving. On the EQE's this is purported to lead to up to 5% range enhancement. It is my understanding that the 2022 and 2023(?) EQS's do not have this capability.
- If you're contemplating buying a maintenance package, take a look at the cost of it for the EQE vs. the EQS. Where I am, the EQS maintenance plan is significantly more expensive. Not surprising, I guess.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your findings on this topic. EQE SUV is indeed better in terms of EV tech ( heat pump and decoupling) until they add these features to EQS in 2024 models. The point about maintenance cost is interesting and is something I had not considered. I am going to lease for 2 years, what maintenance would it require? There's no oil change and breaks won't need replacement in 2 years. Do you know what the maintenance package covers?
Old 04-30-2023 | 10:47 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Regarding the maintenance - if you're only leasing for two years, then I agree that looking at the maintenance angle of this will not be very interesting. Not much going on in year 1 and 2.
Old 04-30-2023 | 10:55 AM
LVO

EQS 580
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your findings on this topic. EQE SUV is indeed better in terms of EV tech ( heat pump and decoupling) until they add these features to EQS in 2024 models. The point about maintenance cost is interesting and is something I had not considered. I am going to lease for 2 years, what maintenance would it require? There's no oil change and breaks won't need replacement in 2 years. Do you know what the maintenance package covers?
Leasing is the way to go, you can still get the 7500 tax credit through the lease loop hole. I bought my EQS 580 sedan a year ago and wish I leased it now. Check with the dealer regarding the standard maintenance package which should come with it 2 year/24 K miles as came on my EQS sedan. All maintenance is covered. Every warranty issue I had was fixed at no cost(socket flap error). From a tech perspective you are insulated as most of the first year kinks have been remedied and improved battery tech. Also if your into 3-D audio you get awesome Dolby atmos with online Apple Music streaming if you have a subscription (available on EQS, EQE sedans/SUVs). It is stellar!
Old 04-30-2023 | 10:55 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Not sure about the EQE, but the EQS includes the first 20000 mile maintenance service which probably consists of a cabin filter and maybe wiper blades. I suspect that after a 20000 mile inspection almost all EQE and EQS SUVs will need new tires and would not be surprised if the dealer tries to add a $2000 tire change to the free maintenance.

I had intended to purchase an EQE, but since I could not find any info on the cargo area dimensions I was skeptical about how well my wife's rollator walker or wheelchair would fit behind the rear seats. When the EQS came out and the $7500 tax credit was available through 31-Dec-2022 I decided to get the EQS SUV instead. I definitely make use of the extra space in the EQS and the rear steering makes the car seem smaller than it is. The one thing I would have preferred in the EQE is the lower height which would probably make entry and exit easier for my wife.
Old 04-30-2023 | 11:03 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
...- If you're in a climate that is close to 70 degrees F much of the time, you may not really suffer any "penalty" for not having a heat pump on the EQS. If you are in a cold climate, you will suffer. Wild guess: Maybe 5-15% range from the various postings I've read.....
As usual, I agree with almost everything ScottC says. However I think a 5% to 15% range penalty is too optimistic. My cold weather experience here in the Northeast has been a 20% to 30% hit on range in sub-freeing temperatures.
Old 04-30-2023 | 11:24 AM

Bmw
Originally Posted by fgwinn
As usual, I agree with almost everything ScottC says. However I think a 5% to 15% range penalty is too optimistic. My cold weather experience here in the Northeast has been a 20% to 30% hit on range in sub-freeing temperatures.
Thanks for this data point. I am in NJ so looks like makes sense to go with the EQE just for the heat pump benefit alone
Old 04-30-2023 | 11:56 AM

EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
As the topic of range impact without the heat pump is being discussed, what about the relative cost of charging, either L2 or L3, between the EQS and the EQE? If the L3 charging times are similar, but with the EQS having a bigger battery, then it would seem reasonable that more energy is required and thus higher cost. The cost difference should be less with home L2 charging. Comments?
Old 04-30-2023 | 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rivian, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Tesla
My 2023 EQS SUV built in February 2023 has the front motor disconnect (DCU) but not a heat pump.
The following 2 users liked this post by QuadBenz:
ScottC2 (04-30-2023), Surge (05-24-2024)
Old 04-30-2023 | 03:28 PM

ESQ450
@QuadBenz how did you figure out your car has DCU? Can you please explain so I can check mine?
Old 04-30-2023 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rivian, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Tesla
Originally Posted by kart11
@QuadBenz how did you figure out your car has DCU? Can you please explain so I can check mine?
If you go to your infotainment screen, go to the main menu, choose Info, then make sure you’re on the Energy Flow menu.

This will show you whether or not the car is using power, regenerating energy, or coasting/sailing. It also shows you where power is being sent.

If you have the front motor disconnect, you’ll notice while you’re driving that sometimes power is sent to just the front motor, sometimes power is sent to just the rear motor, and sometimes it’s sent to both. Sometimes just one of them will regenerate, sometimes both do.
The following 3 users liked this post by QuadBenz:
bpans (04-30-2023), gsenk (04-30-2023), Surge (05-24-2024)
Old 04-30-2023 | 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
My 2023 EQS 580 SUV has this set up.
Old 04-30-2023 | 06:58 PM

EQS 580 SUV. Emerald Green
Originally Posted by fgwinn
I bought my EQS 580 SUV just 3 weeks back so trying to get an idea of the mileage as well. So far I am getting close to 340 Mile range. This is based on my normal driving and within local roads only. Haven’t had a chance to go on highways yet. Now as you are located in Philly, I am in Downingtown, your experience based details will be really helpful for me. From what I read the real world mileage in varying weather is supposed to be as noted below. Does that makes sense based on your experience?

Real Range Estimationbetween 215 - 425 mi

City - Cold Weather * 300 mi
Highway - Cold Weather * 215 mi
Combined - Cold Weather * 255 mi

City - Mild Weather * 425 mi
Highway - Mild Weather * 270 mi
Combined - Mild Weather * 335 mi

Thanks
-Sen
Old 04-30-2023 | 07:55 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by gsenk
I bought my EQS 580 SUV just 3 weeks back so trying to get an idea of the mileage as well. So far I am getting close to 340 Mile range. This is based on my normal driving and within local roads only. Haven’t had a chance to go on highways yet. Now as you are located in Philly, I am in Downingtown, your experience based details will be really helpful for me. From what I read the real world mileage in varying weather is supposed to be as noted below. Does that makes sense based on your experience?

Real Range Estimationbetween 215 - 425 mi

City - Cold Weather * 300 mi
Highway - Cold Weather * 215 mi
Combined - Cold Weather * 255 mi

City - Mild Weather * 425 mi
Highway - Mild Weather * 270 mi
Combined - Mild Weather * 335 mi

Thanks
-Sen
Those range estimates are in the 20% to 30% cold weather penalty range that I am experiencing in real life.
The following users liked this post:
gsenk (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023 | 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 AMG EQS
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
My 2023 EQS SUV built in February 2023 has the front motor disconnect (DCU) but not a heat pump.
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
If you go to your infotainment screen, go to the main menu, choose Info, then make sure you’re on the Energy Flow menu.

This will show you whether or not the car is using power, regenerating energy, or coasting/sailing. It also shows you where power is being sent.

If you have the front motor disconnect, you’ll notice while you’re driving that sometimes power is sent to just the front motor, sometimes power is sent to just the rear motor, and sometimes it’s sent to both. Sometimes just one of them will regenerate, sometimes both do.
You do not have a DCU. That screen just shows that there is no energy being sent to the motor... the motor is not disconnected, it is just not receiving any energy from the battery.
Similar to coasting your ICE car in high gear... no gas/energy is being sent to the motor but it is still connected. Coasting in high gear is not the same as coasting in neutral... which is analogous to Your current 2023 EQS and a 2024 EQS with a DCU.
Old 05-01-2023 | 11:18 PM

2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
even with heat pump, you will still lost 5-10% of range during cold winter. it is not like range will be the same as summer.

Last edited by guess2098; 05-02-2023 at 01:40 AM.