EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Are my expectations too high? (Ride quality, motor smoothness, quality control)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Are my expectations too high? (Ride quality, motor smoothness, quality control)

I just want to see if anyone else has been experiencing what I've been experiencing and want to see if my expectations were too high for this car.

1. My steering wheel makes very subtle ticking/rubbing/clicking sounds when steering. It's pretty quiet, my front seat passengers can't hear it, but I can hear it from the drivers seat and I can ever so slightly feel it. It's starting to drive me a little crazy. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping it's not normal and that it gets worse so it encourages me to drive 2 hours to my nearest MB dealer.

2. Front motor vibrations... I can feel every time my front motor engages/disengages because when it's using the rear motor alone, it's smooth as you'd expect an EV to be. When I dip into the throttle and the front motor engages (as confirmed by the Info -> Energy menu), I can feel it vibrating. It does it every time. I can also feel it at lower speeds when it cruises around using the front motor alone, it also vibrates in this case. I can tell when it's using and when it's not using the front motor without having to check the Info -> Energy menu because I can feel it.

(Please note: I'm not here to discuss front motor disconnects, simply whether or not anyone else feels these vibrations. We have other EVs including Teslas and they are smooth as silk. You feel NOTHING from the motors, which is what I expected from my EQS SUV. It feels a little like an ICE car when the front motor is being used)

3. Ride quality... I'm finding myself a little disappointed with the ride quality. I feel a lot more of the road imperfections than I'd expect to. A lot more is translated into the cabin than I expected from a car like this. It's stiffer than I'd like. I want to waft along and feel next to nothing but this isn't the case I'm finding. Does anyone else find the ride stiffer than they expected? I expected the "electric S-Class SUV" to have a better ride.

Thanks

Last edited by QuadBenz; 05-22-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:10 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
both my sedan and suv doesn't have 1 and 2 problems, but for 3. I think everyone has different preference. for me, I feel eqs is too soft. I want little more road feedback so ride quality is very subjective.
The following 2 users liked this post by guess2098:
QuadBenz (05-22-2023), Surge (05-27-2024)
Old 05-22-2023, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 263 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
My EQE drives buttery smooth. No steering wheel noises and I really can't tell when the front/rear/both disconnect(s). I'm on 21" rims with MOE run flats though and the ride does feel stiff even in comfort mode. I think that's part of the reason I have so many squeaks and rattles.
The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (05-22-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,422 Likes on 2,063 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
I just want to see if anyone else has been experiencing what I've been experiencing and want to see if my expectations were too high for this car.

1. My steering wheel makes very subtle ticking/rubbing/clicking sounds when steering. It's pretty quiet, my front seat passengers can't hear it, but I can hear it from the drivers seat and I can ever so slightly feel it. It's starting to drive me a little crazy. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping it's not normal and that it gets worse so it encourages me to drive 2 hours to my nearest MB dealer.

2. Front motor vibrations... I can feel every time my front motor engages/disengages because when it's using the rear motor alone, it's smooth as you'd expect an EV to be. When I dip into the throttle and the front motor engages (as confirmed by the Info -> Energy menu), I can feel it vibrating. It does it every time. I can also feel it at lower speeds when it cruises around using the front motor alone, it also vibrates in this case. I can tell when it's using and when it's not using the front motor without having to check the Info -> Energy menu because I can feel it.

(Please note: I'm not here to discuss front motor disconnects, simply whether or not anyone else feels these vibrations. We have other EVs including Teslas and they are smooth as silk. You feel NOTHING from the motors, which is what I expected from my EQS SUV. It feels a little like an ICE car when the front motor is being used)

3. Ride quality... I'm finding myself a little disappointed with the ride quality. I feel a lot more of the road imperfections than I'd expect to. A lot more is translated into the cabin than I expected from a car like this. It's stiffer than I'd like. I want to waft along and feel next to nothing but this isn't the case I'm finding. Does anyone else find the ride stiffer than they expected? I expected the "electric S-Class SUV" to have a better ride.

Thanks
Ya no I wouldn't say that is having expectations too high, the first two issues seems like a minor defect that should be addressed, the third, the ride quality getting rid of run-flats and/or downsizing tires will help. You might want to also check the tire pressures too, adjust according to your preference when tires are cold.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
QuadBenz (05-24-2023), Surge (05-27-2024)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:56 AM

Received 335 Likes on 210 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
For problem #1...is this your first EV? They are so quiet relative to ICE cars that you hear new things that in the past were drowned out by engine noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
finlayson (05-25-2023), QuadBenz (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Try driving another EQS at a dealer and see if your issues are repeated.

I’m surprised you find the ride quality to not be soft enough, in my opinion that is one of the EQS’ (Sedan and SUV) strongpoints.
QuadBenz (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
My 2023 EQS 580 SUV is the quietest and softest ride of any vehicle I have ever owned. To this date I have given rides to over 20 friends and everyone has made mention that they have never ridden in a smoother vehicle. It did come with Summer tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
QuadBenz (05-24-2023), Surge (05-27-2024)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
This is a 6,000 pound vehicle. Some roughness in the suspension can be expected, that's a lot of weight to carry.
The following 2 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
QuadBenz (05-24-2023), Quietride (06-06-2024)
Old 05-25-2023, 08:00 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
This is a 6,000 pound vehicle. Some roughness in the suspension can be expected, that's a lot of weight to carry.

What he said. No issues with ours no rattles, ticks or strange noises. The ride is somewhat hard but we have the staggered wheels with run flats so its to be expected.
The following 3 users liked this post by sno:
E55Greasemonkey (05-25-2023), QuadBenz (05-25-2023), Surge (05-27-2024)
Old 05-25-2023, 09:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by sno
What he said. No issues with ours no rattles, ticks or strange noises. The ride is somewhat hard but we have the staggered wheels with run flats so its to be expected.
Agree with others but maybe OP's car really rattles more than everyone else who commented? Hopefully OP can sit in another one with similar options as OP's own vehicle or the forum members here who commented and see if it is isolated to only OP's car.
QuadBenz (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQE 350+ SUV
As @js_cls suggested, the best course of action is to ask them to drive another EQS of similar configuration. I sometimes myself experience similar doubts, but I usually realize they are just me paying more attention after some event. I once went over a rough spot with my previous car and I thought I misaligned something because I started experiencing slight vibration during driving. After a while though, I stopped noticing it and realized it was normal. More recently, as I was returning from a service where they had to disassemble the door on my EQE to align a rubber seal that came misaligned from the factory, I thought that suddenly I hear more noise coming from the door area and wondering if they forgot to put the noise inserts back or did something wrong... but I was actually just listening real close and heard sounds I didn't pay attention to before.
QuadBenz (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by galimpic
As @js_cls suggested, the best course of action is to ask them to drive another EQS of similar configuration. I sometimes myself experience similar doubts, but I usually realize they are just me paying more attention after some event. I once went over a rough spot with my previous car and I thought I misaligned something because I started experiencing slight vibration during driving. After a while though, I stopped noticing it and realized it was normal. More recently, as I was returning from a service where they had to disassemble the door on my EQE to align a rubber seal that came misaligned from the factory, I thought that suddenly I hear more noise coming from the door area and wondering if they forgot to put the noise inserts back or did something wrong... but I was actually just listening real close and heard sounds I didn't pay attention to before.
Interesting, glad to hear they are normal, good on your part to compare to another EQS and confirmed.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 63 AMG (2013)

Thanks
Hi @QuadBenz ,

I got my EQS SUV 580 delivered in december 2023 (Belgium, EU-spec car).
I experience the same vibrations as described by you. Worse... through the dealer, we tested 2 other demo 4-matic cars, with the same result. It is indeed vibrations on the front motor.

Did your dealer fix this ? Is there a recall known ? My dealer considers it "normal", which I don't want to accept.

Many thanks for any reply !

Old 05-27-2024, 09:09 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 185 Likes on 134 Posts
No, your expectations should be high as it's an S class for goodness's sake.
We have a brand new 24 Grand Wagoneer we're using for a few months, it is over 6400 lbs and the ride is uber smooth, so the extra weight stuff is not the issue. So far as squeaks and rattles not being heard b/c there's no engine noise well there's some truth to it, but many vehicles have very little engine noise and there's little to no rattles at all. If we continue trying to rationalize poor quality MB nor any brand will never make it right.
Back to the '24 GW...for $120,000.00+ I was surprised to experience it lacks in structural rigidity found even in lesser vehicles as it is a bit of a flexible flyer over certain types of bumps...completely unacceptable.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
No one is saying it lacks structural rigidity. Quite the opposite: the OP said he wishes it had LESS rigidity so that it would ride softer over bumps.
The EQS is much more rigid, quieter, and drives better than the Wagoneer, which is to be expected.
Quietride (06-06-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 04:27 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Surge
No one is saying it lacks structural rigidity. Quite the opposite: the OP said he wishes it had LESS rigidity so that it would ride softer over bumps.
The EQS is much more rigid, quieter, and drives better than the Wagoneer, which is to be expected.
Reread my post - I was simply making an observation of the grand wagoner being a flexible flyer - not the EQS I also made an observation that the GW is uber smooth riding where the OP felt his EQS wasn’t.

Last edited by RJC; 05-28-2024 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Regarding my 3 issues that I had in this thread...

1. My steering wheel makes very subtle ticking/rubbing/clicking sounds

-Never got this addressed. Still does it from time to time. I've gotten used to it and don't really notice this now. I figure with only 9 months or so left on my EQS lease, I'll just ride it out and get another one and hope the new one doesn't have this issue anymore.

2. Front motor vibrations...

-I do still feel like I feel vibrations from time to time in the 30-40 mph range when the car cruises using only the front motor. Again, never got this addressed for the same reason as above. It's not all the time, just every once in a while, but again, I'm hoping a new one won't have this issue. A newer model will have the front motor disconnect which mine doesn't have, so I'm hoping this will be different on a new one.

3. Ride quality...

-I've learned a lot about the suspension, drive modes, and regen modes.

I've learned that between Eco, Comfort, and Sport drive modes, Eco offers the most wafty + floaty S-Class like ride quality. Comfort stiffens up quite a bit compared to Eco. It reduces a lot of the float. In addition, I've learned that the regen modes also affect ride quality. Auto/No Regen seems to be the softest, followed by Standard, and then Strong regen being the stiffest ride quality.

When I first complained about the ride being too stiff, I had been driving in Comfort with Strong Regen which is one of the stiffer setups. Now I use Eco and Standard or Eco and Auto when I want the smoothest possible ride and I'm satisfied.

Overall I'm really happy with the EQS and look forward to leasing another one with all the improvements that are making their way into the 2024 and 2025 models.
The following 2 users liked this post by QuadBenz:
guess2098 (05-29-2024), Surge (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 02:06 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Regarding my 3 issues that I had in this thread...

1. My steering wheel makes very subtle ticking/rubbing/clicking sounds

-Never got this addressed. Still does it from time to time. I've gotten used to it and don't really notice this now. I figure with only 9 months or so left on my EQS lease, I'll just ride it out and get another one and hope the new one doesn't have this issue anymore.

2. Front motor vibrations...

-I do still feel like I feel vibrations from time to time in the 30-40 mph range when the car cruises using only the front motor. Again, never got this addressed for the same reason as above. It's not all the time, just every once in a while, but again, I'm hoping a new one won't have this issue. A newer model will have the front motor disconnect which mine doesn't have, so I'm hoping this will be different on a new one.

3. Ride quality...

I've learned that between Eco, Comfort, and Sport drive modes, Eco offers the most wafty + floaty S-Class like ride quality. Comfort stiffens up quite a bit compared to Eco. It reduces a lot of the float. In addition, I've learned that the regen modes also affect ride quality. Auto/No Regen seems to be the softest, followed by Standard, and then Strong regen being the stiffest ride quality.

When I first complained about the ride being too stiff, I had been driving in Comfort with Strong Regen which is one of the stiffer setups. Now I use Eco and Standard or Eco and Auto when I want the smoothest possible ride and I'm satisfied.

Overall I'm really happy with the EQS and look forward to leasing another one with all the improvements that are making their way into the 2024 and 2025 models.
Glad you 've got the suspension worked out.

What improvements have you heard re the 24-25's?
Old 05-29-2024, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Glad you 've got the suspension worked out.

What improvements have you heard re the 24-25's?
There have been lots of updates...
  • soft close doors becoming standard
  • more range from a bigger and new battery
  • all new brake system for improved pedal feel
  • heat pump
  • front motor disconnect
  • Hyperscreen standard on all models
  • power opening and closing charge port door
  • 5G internet instead of 4G
  • Automatic lane changes have been added
  • 4-zone climate is now standard
  • Power opening and closing DOORS are now available as an option
  • A little bit more trim and interior lighting on the back of the front seats
These are just the changes for the SUV. The sedan gets even more changes, mainly to the front and rear seating (they get more true S-Class level seats)
RJC (05-30-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 04:13 PM

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
I thought suspension only has two settings - comfort or sport.
In Eco mode, it was listed as in Comfort settings. So in theory, there should not be a difference between Eco and Comfort mode?
Old 05-29-2024, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nosnoop
I thought suspension only has two settings - comfort or sport.
In Eco mode, it was listed as in Comfort settings. So in theory, there should not be a difference between Eco and Comfort mode?
I agree that it should work like that in theory but it doesn't in practice.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:01 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

There have been lots of updates...
  • soft close doors becoming standard
  • more range from a bigger and new battery
  • all new brake system for improved pedal feel
  • heat pump
  • front motor disconnect
  • Hyperscreen standard on all models
  • power opening and closing charge port door
  • 5G internet instead of 4G
  • Automatic lane changes have been added
  • 4-zone climate is now standard
  • Power opening and closing DOORS are now available as an option
  • A little bit more trim and interior lighting on the back of the front seats
These are just the changes for the SUV. The sedan gets even more changes, mainly to the front and rear seating (they get more true S-Class level seats)
Nice, solid improvements.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
I’ve had my new 2023 EQS450 SUV for a week and drove about 1000km. I don’t have any of the OP’s issues - there is zero vibration when the (front) motor engages/disengages, the steering makes no noises, etc. So these are specific to the OP’s car.
QuadBenz (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 263 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Well I had lots of creaks and rattles, including a rubbing sound from the steering wheel. In all but one case (passenger headrest rattle) I was able to resolve the issue myself just by pressing/moving/snapping plastic pieces back into place. The QC department must of been having a bad day I guess...