My Quick EQS 580 SUV Review after 4000 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 02:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz EQS 580 SUV, Audi R8 Performance Quattro, Porsche Cayman S
My Quick EQS 580 SUV Review after 4000 miles

1) Interior quality and look. Wows everyone, especially at night
2) Ride quality, soft, luxurious and smooth (even at Sport setting)
3) Cameras - high quality and very useful during parking and tight maneuvering
4) Range - I get around 270 or so miles which is very close to the estimate.
5) Speed - EQS580 does feel really fast.
6) Storage space - a lot of storage spaces in the front
7) Cargo space - without 3rd row, plenty of space in the back
8) Passenger space - very comfortable for 3 adults in the 2nd row (with flat floor)
9) Virtual Reality Headsup Display
10) Hyper screen - high quality, easy to use, highly configurable, looks fabulous
11) Rear wheel steering works like a magic, makes the car drive like a small car during tight maneuvering/parking situations
12) Technology - loaded with technologies including Hey Mercedes, carwash mode, digital light displays/animations, etc

Dislikes

1) Mediocre looking Exterior (but we chose this as it looked better than BMW iX) - Feels bit like a minivan though this is an equivalent of GLS
2) No soft close door for such a high priced car. The doors are heavy and surely need soft close
3) No option for shade in the back windows. A lot of luxury cars offer this option
4) Random errors show up in the screen (and go off after restarting the car). Always keeps me nervous.
5) Not as sportive as I would expect. A bit of body roll around curvy roads
6) Ineffective braking. It took us a while to get used to it and We are still not feeling it. This is a big concern
7) Rear cross traffic alert (RCTA) is not as sensitive as Japanese cars. We used to have Lexus before and RCTA works flawlessly. EQS misses the alerts for cross traffic half the time.
8) Placement of controls - the volume button, drive mode button, need to be moved up. There isn't an easy way to skip songs.
9) The capacitive touch buttons on the steering wheel suck. Prefer to have real buttons
10) Location of charging port - a front location or dual location would have been a better choice. Sometimes, I had to skip some charging station because it is too tight to reach the cable
11) No electronic door for charging port (for such an expensive car)
12) No hand gesture options for frequently used functions (such as adjusting volume, skipping songs etc)

The EQS 580 SUV is a fantastic electric family SUV that offers a plethora of luxurious features and advanced technologies. However, it falls short in some basic features and conveniences that are commonly found in lower-end cars. If you're not looking for a sporty driving experience, you'll be pleased with this vehicle. The only concern is the possibility of encountering persistent errors that require more than a simple car restart to resolve.

Last edited by bpans; 08-17-2023 at 02:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Number 6…On braking note that the first half or so of brake pedal movement is not applying the brakes rather the recuperation system. I have had to jam on the brakes in one situation and they worked quite well.

Number 9….I have found the captive buttons do not work if your finger skin is dry. Lick your finger, wipe it off, then try a button. No joke dry skin is the culprit. BTW- I don’t like them either and feel they are a gimmick.
bpans (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:35 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
Hard to disagree with likes. One thing I wish we would have is more updates from Mercedes utilizing the hardware in the car but I expect that won't happen since not many car companies seem to have learned the lesson from Tesla there.

For dislikes:
#2 - YES. For how heavy the doors are, soft close (don't care about self opening) would have been great to have. My Q7 had them and it pretty much meant I never had a case where doors were left partially closed. Unfortunately I have that alot with EQS because the doors are heavier than people expect and heavy for a kid to close.

#8 - What I have done is to setup the classic dash with music info as the shortcut (long press on the back button for driver dashboard) so I can easily get there from any screen, do next and go back to original screen. But given how good driver assistance in the car is, I also don't mind clicking the buttons on the center screen.

#10 - Dual would have been nice but otherwise the current location works best in my experience. We would even be able to use Tesla chargers easily once they open up it looks like.

#11 - This one is added in 2024 it looks like but I don't see understand the need for it. Opening the port is extremely easy.

#12 - I would love this to be a setting but on the other hand I can also see how confusing it may get. There have been multiple times where I opened the sunroof blind by mistake while doing some hand signals to my kid at the back.
bpans (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 12:11 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral

...#10 - Dual would have been nice but otherwise the current location works best in my experience. We would even be able to use Tesla chargers easily once they open up it looks like....
Charging ports on the front and rear of ether side would allow for easy access to Tesla Supercharger cables with at least one of the ports. If only one port, it should be the rear left (driver side) to match Tesla vehicle position. I prefer rear corner port for a home charger located at the edge of the garage door opening. This minimizes the amount of cable that needs to be uncoiled. The worst location is on the front fender ahead of the door opening.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:02 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by fgwinn
Charging ports on the front and rear of ether side would allow for easy access to Tesla Supercharger cables with at least one of the ports. If only one port, it should be the rear left (driver side) to match Tesla vehicle position. I prefer rear corner port for a home charger located at the edge of the garage door opening. This minimizes the amount of cable that needs to be uncoiled. The worst location is on the front fender ahead of the door opening.
My bad, for some reason I was thinking Tesla charging port is on passenger side. Must have seen videos from UK maybe, who knows. For me the current location in EQS works because my charger at home is on the right side.

Btw until I actually test drove one I always thought, EQS had a dual port because of the windshield wash port on the front passenger side
Old 08-17-2023, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MB EQS 580 SUV Pinnacle Trim
I love the car too .. my asks would be

1) Heat Pump
2) Dissociate front axle at high speeds.
3) Ability to watch streaming video content on the 3 passenger screens.

I think they may have solved for all 3 in the 2024 version
Old 08-17-2023, 07:30 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by anandhan
I love the car too .. my asks would be

1) Heat Pump
2) Dissociate front axle at high speeds.
3) Ability to watch streaming video content on the 3 passenger screens.

I think they may have solved for all 3 in the 2024 version
I am really curious how much extra range will #1 and #2 provide. I know heat pump can be critical in very cold weather, not sure about #2 though.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Audi Q7 2021
I would add to dislikes:
  1. Poor forward sector visibility compared to say BMW iX.
  2. Lack of Apple maps in the instrument cluster (some say Google maps can be displayed but I haven't seen demo of that either)
  3. My personal preference is arrangement of display like 2024 BMW iX, X5 or the 2024 GLE, GLS, Maybach Gas model. I like the entire screen at that same level. I don't like to look diagonally down from my driving position.
  4. Drives less sporty (& hence less fun) compared to say BMW iX xDrive 50
  5. Lack of 5G communication module

Of course in the looks department it kills BMW iX though EQS SUV is shaped like a Jelly. (EQE SUV is the best looking Mercedes and does not suffer from van or jelly bean looks of EQS SUV). My favorite is EQE 500 SUV. I just hope they would have made it somewhat more spacious, it would have been a no brainer for me.

Sheer breadth of interior and exterior color choices kills BMW iX any day.

Disconnect unit for rear and front, Heat pump have been solved in 2024 year model. Please refer to EQS AMG Sedan 2024 Order guide. Additionally they have enhanced navigation experience by including: Navi w/ Electric Intellgence, Active Range Monitoring & Charging Station Availability

Disconnect Unit should be definitely of help. Difference between EQS SUV 450+ (RWD) and EQS SUV 450 4MATIC is 20 miles on paper. In reality it would be more.

One of the biggest perks of Mercedes is integration with Tesla NACS network and commitment to build its own high power network.

@bpans you mentioned about braking even that is being addressed: (from EQE 2024 order guide: ◯ All-new braking system for improved brake feel and revised regenerative braking software)

I am waiting for 2024 EQS SUV and 2025 BMW iX to finally choose my next car.

Last edited by MBEQGuy; 08-19-2023 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
I am really curious how much extra range will #1 and #2 provide. I know heat pump can be critical in very cold weather, not sure about #2 though.
Introduced on the smaller EQE SUV, the new unit allows for a 23km increase in claimed WLTP driving range for the EQS450 4Matic, which has been revised from between 580km and 696km, to between 589km and 719km.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/merced...d-range-boost/
icwhatudidthere (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 11:30 AM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by MBEQGuy

...I am waiting for 2024 EQS SUV and 2025 BMW iX to finally choose my next car.
I am waiting until MB has the NACS connector before considering my next car.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:01 PM

EQS
That's actually much less than I thought it would be and in EQS the range gain will likely be smaller since I assume larger weight will reduce the times where disconnect would be useful.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MB EQS 580 SUV Pinnacle Trim
agree... the heat pump would be more useful than the front axle disconnect option for folks living in colder climates.

Last edited by anandhan; 08-19-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
Originally Posted by bpans
8) Placement of controls - the volume button, drive mode button, need to be moved up. There isn't an easy way to skip songs.
I put the music on the drivers display and swipe the sensor next to the left home button on the steering wheel.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi R8 V10
I am starting to hear some faint noise from the B-pillar area while driving and it goes away after I push the trim a little bit. I believe the B-pillar trim is making the noise. Anyone else?
Old 08-21-2023, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by mhmyers55
I put the music on the drivers display and swipe the sensor next to the left home button on the steering wheel.
Those buttons are on a smooth console so one has to look down to see them for use. There needs to be some sort of bump/raised level/ recessed level at each place so you can feel them and press without looking down each time. Terrible setup.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz EQS 580 SUV, Audi R8 Performance Quattro, Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Those buttons are on a smooth console so one has to look down to see them for use. There needs to be some sort of bump/raised level/ recessed level at each place so you can feel them and press without looking down each time. Terrible setup.

I do the same trick of keeping the media screen in the driver display and use the arrows on the left hand side of the steering wheel but it kinda locks the driver display to one screen as I want to see other things like consumption, map etc which won't let me use the arrows to skip the song.

I agree with @Utopia Texas that the buttons on the center screen are touch screen buttons and you can't use that unless you take your eyes off the road. With no hand gesture support, this is simply a very bad design.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
You can also say, “skip song” or “next song” without pushing the talk button or saying hey Mercedes
ScottC2 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eqs580suv
display issues

We love our EQS580SUV however we are disappointed the vehicle has no soft close doors and rear door window blinds. Yes its a bit vague handling wise through tighter corners with quite a bit of body roll. Mercedes have the technology to have better designed out that issue.The old ABC suspension for instance was better. The breaking is a concern as its not linear if you are on recuperation. In fact its frightening. Still adapting to it. The big problem we have is the intermittent shut down of the main MBX screen. There is no pattern sometimes its find for an hour or two other times it can switch of two or three times in an hour.
When it first started (on our way home after purchasing) it would go off and then come back on its own. Now it goes of and we have to fire it up again. The speedo cluster in unaffected just the big main central and passenger side display. We returned to the dealer and they did a full download to sort out various fault display issues..Hoping this would sort it out. However it hasn`t and we all know how it goes from here. Days in the garage with no fault found etc etc.