EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Fuse tap that works well with EQS SUV fuse panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 01:26 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Fuse tap that works well with EQS SUV fuse panel

There are three fuse positions designated for 12v accessory sockets in the EQS SUV - F400, F401, and F402. Position F400 is labeled as a 20A circuit while F401 and F402 are 25A circuits. I find it odd that the MB 12v sockets are only rated at 15A despite the higher rating on the fuses. In EQS SUVs equipped with Run Flat tires, only position F401 is populated with a fuse for the 12v socket located on the inside of the driver side C-Piillar.

I added a second 12v accessory socket in the center console since my SUV did not have a socket in the passenger side footwell. I ran a wire to the fuse panel located beneath the compartment below the cargo area. None of the fuse taps I tried were perfect. The type that adds a second fuse does not fit into the MB fuse panel because of the locking tab on one side of the fuse slot. I decided upon the type that slips over one of the fuse tabs and tapped into the existing F401 25A circuit. I was not completely satisfied with the set up, but it was functional. I recently stumbled across Accele Electronica fuse taps which can be used in either an existing fuse slot, or one of the open slots with only one contact on the supply side. The Accele fuse taps accommodate the locking tab in the fuse panel.

I ordered the yellow 20A fuse, but was somewhat disappointed since it was supplied with a 16 gauge lead. If I did this again I would order the 15A size, since it probably also includes a 16 gauge pig tail.

Typical automotive fuse taps.

Accele Electronics 20A fuse tap.

Acelle 20A fuse tap in slot F400. Locking tab engaged.

Accele fuse tap installed with connector tucked in place under floor. 25A F401 fuse installed.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS 450+ SUV
Lazarus just wondering where you got the Fuse diagram for EQS SUV? I have been searching over internet (manual, etc), but can't find at all.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:40 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by robsonch
Lazarus just wondering where you got the Fuse diagram for EQS SUV? I have been searching over internet (manual, etc), but can't find at all.
It's folded up and in a slot in the fuse block below the sub-floor compartment under the cargo floor. You can see it in one of the photos at the beginning of this thread. I had to remove the liner and cut a flap in it in order to access the fuse block.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:45 PM

EQS 450+ SUV
Thank you Lazaru5! will check in mine. so weird that doesn't have in manual at all.
Just saw in your picture in this thread! thanks a lot! So weird, want to hardwire dashcam using passenger fuse box but I need to open my cargo to get fuse diagram lol!
Btw, I saw several threads from you, congratulations! Is my first MB and still a lot to learn.
Old 07-16-2024, 11:47 AM

2023 580 EQS
@LAZARU5 Well we gave it our best shot. The 2024 580 Sedan is a different beast.

So there was only one relay in the box (located under the backseat in the sedan). There is place for a second relay, and when we tried one we had the same result...the circuit is constant.

Their next proposal was to tap into the subwoofer and use that. I am far too risk adverse and didn't want to mess with any electrics beyond the fuse panel. The device they would have used to tap comes with a fuse is used on many of the Teslas they put lighting effects in. Wish I had the part number for that to share.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but happy to share the shop name if someone is interested in finding out exact information.

What I can say is, I bought the exact pigtail fuse taps you suggested.
Bought the Merc 000-820-48-05 accessory

Going to let someone else be the first to do this with the sedan.
Old 07-16-2024, 03:46 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by sf-merc
@LAZARU5 Well we gave it our best shot. The 2024 580 Sedan is a different beast.

So there was only one relay in the box (located under the backseat in the sedan). There is place for a second relay, and when we tried one we had the same result...the circuit is constant.

Their next proposal was to tap into the subwoofer and use that. I am far too risk adverse and didn't want to mess with any electrics beyond the fuse panel. The device they would have used to tap comes with a fuse is used on many of the Teslas they put lighting effects in. Wish I had the part number for that to share.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but happy to share the shop name if someone is interested in finding out exact information.

What I can say is, I bought the exact pigtail fuse taps you suggested.
Bought the Merc 000-820-48-05 accessory

Going to let someone else be the first to do this with the sedan.
Here's my suggestion, assuming that there is an "ignition-switched" 12v accessory socket in your 580 Sedan. Instead of inserting the Accele Electronics fuse tap into an unused slot in the fuse block like I did in my EQS SUV, replace the existing accessory socket fuse with the fuse tap. The fuse in the fuse tap will protect the 12v accessory socket circuit and the pigtail will power the new device you want to install.

As I recall the device you were adding draws less than 2A. So sharing the circuit with the 12v accessory socket should not really overload the circuit.
Old 07-16-2024, 03:54 PM

2023 580 EQS
Originally Posted by LAZARU5
Here's my suggestion, assuming that there is an "ignition-switched" 12v accessory socket in your 580 Sedan. Instead of inserting the Accele Electronics fuse tap into an unused slot in the fuse block like I did in my EQS SUV, replace the existing accessory socket fuse with the fuse tap. The fuse in the fuse tap will protect the 12v accessory socket circuit and the pigtail will power the new device you want to install.

As I recall the device you were adding draws less than 2A. So sharing the circuit with the 12v accessory socket should not really overload the circuit.
That's a great idea. I'll ask if they found one that was switched while searching, otherwise I'll plan another visit.

Thank you!
Old 07-16-2024, 04:16 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by sf-merc
That's a great idea. I'll ask if they found one that was switched while searching, otherwise I'll plan another visit.

Thank you!
Keep in mind that the switched 12v accessory circuits are not instant off. They are time delayed. You can't just turn off the car to test if the circuit is still live. You may have to wait as much as 30 minutes.