EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Home DC Charging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 09:53 AM

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla Model S
Home DC Charging

I am replacing my Tesla Model S with an EQS580. With the Model S, I have a 72AMP charger (17KWH) and was able to fully charge my 100KWH battery in less than 6hrs. This was fantastic as it allowed me to take full benefit of the much lower electricity cost my utility offers from midnight to 6am ($0.04 per KW). The EQS in the US only has a 9.6 KWH onboard AC charger so I decided to install a "mini" DC charger at home. The device has two chargers: a 21KWH (CCS) DC charger and a 6.6KWH AC (J1772) charger. It took me about two hours to install the device lleveraging my existing 240V 2 Phase supply line. The device is not cheap about $7.6K plus import duties and requires a 125AMP * 240VAC two phase input. I had installed huge AWG-1 gauge my wires with huge AWG when I had installed my original EVSE charger 10 years ago, so I only needed to change my breaker to support the higher load.

'The device has a nice touchscreen UI that reports the vehicle SOC and can be configured with RFID cards should you install it in a public location.

Once I get the EQS (hopefully in January), the device should be able to do a full charge (115KWH) in less than 5 hours but meanwhile I use it with the Tesla.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Colorado's EV Accelerate at Home Program

It's not for me at this time, but here is a link to info on a program in Colorado's Xcel Energy for installation, lease and payment for an in-home charger:

https://ev.xcelenergy.com/ev-acceler..._id=1388653208

Perhaps you can use this to compare with your current system.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Sounds a bit excessive but I guess that depends on how much driving you will do.
I have had my first EV for just over a month now and I started out using a L2 Charger nightly, but because I only drive a total of 25-30 on a daily basis I have been just using a L1 charger every night.

You should also keep in mind that using a DC charger increases battery degradation. So does charging to 100% on a daily basis.
The following users liked this post:
slk55er (08-27-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
You should also keep in mind that using a DC charger increases battery degradation.
Putting an EV on a 40/50A home circuit is not enough to be bad for the battery (as long as you don't charge to 90-100%), but putting one on a 70+kw Supercharger or other high-powered Level 3 is.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:15 PM

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Sounds a bit excessive but I guess that depends on how much driving you will do.
I have had my first EV for just over a month now and I started out using a L2 Charger nightly, but because I only drive a total of 25-30 on a daily basis I have been just using a L1 charger every night.

You should also keep in mind that using a DC charger increases battery degradation. So does charging to 100% on a daily basis.
When you use an AC charger the onboard charger converts the AC power to DC, so all charging is actually done with DC power. What degrades is high intensity charging (i.e. 100KWH+). At 22-25KWH this device will not cause accelerated degradation.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by avilent
When you use an AC charger the onboard charger converts the AC power to DC, so all charging is actually done with DC power. What degrades is high intensity charging (i.e. 100KWH+). At 22-25KWH this device will not cause accelerated degradation.
I am guessing that one would usually avoid discharging below say, 20% under normal circumstances. How long would it take for a full charge from say, 20% with a normally-used 22 KWH charger vs, with the fastest charger which would only be used occasionally?
Old 08-29-2021, 01:56 PM

Tesla Model S
The general rule about EV batteries is don’t go below 10% or above 90% SOC to ensure maximum longevity. So basically maximum charge should be 80% of gross capacity. The EQS has a 115KW gross capacity (107.8 KW net), so 80% is ~ 96KW that takes 4hrs with a 25KWH DC charger. This is advantageous for two scenarios… (a) Region with tight TOU (time of use) windows for low cost charging and (b) Heavy users who’s frequently seek an 80% charge and don’t want to wait 8-9 hrs for the US 9.6KWH on board charger. Note that in Europe MB offers an onboard 22KW charger as an option but here in the US only a 9.6KWH charger is offered.
slk55er (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:37 PM

Occasionally, I see a Tesla charger and rarely see anything else. Is the Tesla charge useable for a MB EV? What is it's charging capacity? What kind of charger is typically at a Walmart (where I'm not sure I'd want to leave my MB EV for any length of time.)

Thank you very much. I appreciate your insights and info. It would be helpful if you'd put your location (country, state, at least) in your User Control Panel (CP).
Old 08-29-2021, 03:47 PM

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by slk55er
Occasionally, I see a Tesla charger and rarely see anything else. Is the Tesla charge useable for a MB EV? What is it's charging capacity? What kind of charger is typically at a Walmart (where I'm not sure I'd want to leave my MB EV for any length of time.)

Thank you very much. I appreciate your insights and info. It would be helpful if you'd put your location (country, state, at least) in your User Control Panel (CP).

Hi,

I am in the US and now driving my 6th EV in 11years (Tesla Model S 100D) that will be replaced by an EQS (production scheduled for Jan 22). Tesla has two types of chargers: (a) Destination Chargers and (b) Super Chargers. The destination chargers are AC chargers with rating up-to 72Amps (17.2 KWH) - These chargers can be used with non Tesla vehicles using a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter (available on Amazon for $160) - This will work with the EQS. The Super Chargers are DC chargers (up to 200 KWH) and are currently locked to Tesla vehicles only. Elon Musk made claims last month that he would open them to non Tesla vehicles, but Elon makes a lot of claims that never materialize.

There are new Super Chargers available for non-Tesla vehicles (ChargeAmerica and EVGO) that are being installed throughout the US and will work with the EQS. The Biden administration plans to fund many of these new Super Chargers as part of its infrastructure and green energy plan.

Hope this helps!

slk55er (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:10 PM

Hi,

I am in the US and now driving my 6th EV in 11years (Tesla Model S 100D) that will be replaced by an EQS (production scheduled for Jan 22). Tesla has two types of chargers: (a) Destination Chargers and (b) Super Chargers. The destination chargers are AC chargers with rating up-to 72Amps (17.2 KWH) - These chargers can be used with non Tesla vehicles using a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter (available on Amazon for $160) - This will work with the EQS. The Super Chargers are DC chargers (up to 200 KWH) and are currently locked to Tesla vehicles only. Elon Musk made claims last month that he would open them to non Tesla vehicles, but Elon makes a lot of claims that never materialize.

There are new Super Chargers available for non-Tesla vehicles (ChargeAmerica and EVGO) that are being installed throughout the US and will work with the EQS. The Biden administration plans to fund many of these new Super Chargers as part of its infrastructure and green energy plan.

Hope this helps!
Yes, thank you very much. Currently, an EV is not suitable for me -- I'm in the mild-hybrid camp as in the 53 series, but I appreciate learning from your info.

Last edited by slk55er; 08-29-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:15 PM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Range Rover Land Rover
Hi,

Hope this helps!
I remember reading recently, Tesla hopes to tap into the Biden plan to the tune of around 7 billion for new Chargers. Maybe that is why Elon is so eager to get the word out they will allow non-Tesla EV's to use their chargers.