EQS EQS (V297) sedan

What are dealers required to do to sell the EQS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 07:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 Tesla Model S
What are dealers required to do to sell the EQS?

What all are the dealerships having to do in order to be able to carry the EQS. My local dealer does not plan to carry it because of the requirements. I was wondering what they all included. Do they have to install charging stations? Purchase additional equipment for service? Train mechanics to work on them?
Old 10-29-2021, 10:29 PM

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla Model S
I believe there are 2 key criteria: (1) EV Charging to support deliveries and service (CCS) and (2) Training
Old 10-30-2021, 12:45 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Charging stations for sure. Not sure how many they are required, but I’m pretty sure my dealer is installing two. In August while walking around my dealers parking lot to see what cars they had, I noticed a big crate by the service department. It was a charging station waiting to be installed. Training is also necessary. I don’t recall if my salesman mentioned any other requirements. Surprised your dealer declined to put in chargers because it certainly looks like electric cars are in Mercedes’ future.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by jackinhs
What all are the dealerships having to do in order to be able to carry the EQS. My local dealer does not plan to carry it because of the requirements. I was wondering what they all included. Do they have to install charging stations? Purchase additional equipment for service? Train mechanics to work on them?
They will get lots of pressure from MB to meet those requirements real soon or they won't be a dealer much longer.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:35 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
I heard the charging stations are around $50,000 each. I mentioned to my rather large employer I was getting an EV and suggested a charging station. The price didn't bother him much since corporate would pay but he does not want to referee the use of the charger.
My dealer recently installed three I could see and I would guess there has to be 1 or more in the shop.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by wings1969
I heard the charging stations are around $50,000 each. I mentioned to my rather large employer I was getting an EV and suggested a charging station. The price didn't bother him much since corporate would pay but he does not want to referee the use of the charger.
My dealer recently installed three I could see and I would guess there has to be 1 or more in the shop.
Are they installing L3 chargers? If MB is requiring Dealers to install L3 chargers at the cost of ~$50k then I can understand why some dealers aren't ready to jump onboard.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:42 PM

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla Model S
A typical dealership has to be in a position to be able to service at least two EQs and perhaps provision one new delivery. A level 2 AC charger would take 11 hrs for each to charge an EQS, this would be a bottle neck. Dealers will need DC chargers (CCS) with at least 50KWH charging capability. For most dealers that will require an upgrade to their electric utility power supply, new breaker boxes and conduits plus the CCS charger. Easily $50K for a small dealership, $100K for a busier one.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Regardless of the cost or the level of charger, they will all be required to install chargers very soon if they want to remain a MB dealership. MB already announced their plans to move to all-electric vehicles by the end of this decade, only 8 years and two months away. I'd think within two years every MB dealership in the USA will have EV chargers installed, I see no way for a dealership to avoid buying and installing chargers, short of giving up their dealership which would be a lot more costly.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:18 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I recently read that ALL dealers are participating in the cost of development for EV going forward.
Their profit margin has dropped half a point to 13% from 13.5% to help pay for it.

I suspect to a limited degree that a dealers position on global warming and so forth may play into their decision.
If they see no reason for EV's, they maybe less likely to make the investment.
not a smart decision but a rational.

It's going to be quite a transition for dealers. I could foresee, for example, the expectation that a car would be returned from service with a full charge.
Service will be impacted in a huge way. What does one do other than inspect? a brake fluid flush every two years? rear/front diff fluid exchange at 80K?
Hard to justify a trip in to the dealer every 10k. That is a huge cash flow change at the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
JoeMa (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 849 Likes on 543 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by boltonblue
I recently read that ALL dealers are participating in the cost of development for EV going forward.
Their profit margin has dropped half a point to 13% from 13.5% to help pay for it.

I suspect to a limited degree that a dealers position on global warming and so forth may play into their decision.
If they see no reason for EV's, they maybe less likely to make the investment.
not a smart decision but a rational.

It's going to be quite a transition for dealers. I could foresee, for example, the expectation that a car would be returned from service with a full charge.
Service will be impacted in a huge way. What does one do other than inspect? a brake fluid flush every two years? rear/front diff fluid exchange at 80K?
Hard to justify a trip in to the dealer every 10k. That is a huge cash flow change at the dealership.
I can imagine plenty of warranty business in the near term at least.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
I'm not sure about the full charge after service. They will probably treat it like the ICE vehicles. You don't get a full tank of gas after every service. When I took delivery of my Tesla, I had about 70 miles of range.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
Roadside assistance is certainly going to be more interesting.
" Hi I ran out of charge..." can you bring me a gallon of electrons?

The following users liked this post:
Soulman (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 09:52 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by boltonblue
Roadside assistance is certainly going to be more interesting.
" Hi I ran out of charge..." can you bring me a gallon of electrons?
Tesla says they will send assistance for an "Out of Range" call. Not sure if they charge you on the spot or tow you to a super charger. Its listed as "not a financially covered service". I guess that means you will still have to pay for the electrons however they are delivered. MB should offer something similar.