EQS owners impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 05:12 PM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
EQS owners impressions

Dear EQS enthusiasts

As I see a number of us have taken possession of their EQS I would propose we post under a common thread our impressions and initial enthusiasm. I just picked my EQS 580 this morning, drove so far 100 miles (just the distance home). Impressions are along the line of what others have posted re quietness, comfort, mesmerizing hyperscreen, so I will not repeat those. Range with the brand new winter tires on 21" is better than my previous Tesla P85D and Taycan 4S driven under the same conditions (highway, eco mode, steady 73 mph, heating / cooling to normal settings (disregard consumption conserns). Car estimated 235 miles at 94% charge, I drove 99 miles at 475 Wh/mi, estimated range at arrival 134 miles - so far quite impressed by the precision. Today we had 25F and sunny conditions. I suspect that if you start with a 100% charged battery that is warm - and after first 500 miles on the tires - you will get even better range. I will keep posting my experience, once I have few datapoints will provide the graph.

Few things mentioned here and on youtube videos that I agree / disagree with:
1. Not enough head room in the front seat. I guess it depends how tall you are. Before you decided this is your impression, you need to play more with the settings. Getting in the car I tried to lower the seat as much as possible, I thought I got it to the lowest setting. I then used the MBUX "assistant" to position the seat and much to my surprise the seat went significantly lower than before....
2. Brake pedal weird behavior. Perhaps I was lucky, but no such thing today - just the way brakes usually behave. Will keep watching
3. Not as quiet as the S-class, not very quiet in general (on a youtube review which I do not want to link to). This is BS. Drove them back to back when I first tested the EQS
4. Cup holders enigma. I thought they rotate into place. Tried to rotate in vain, In fact you gently tap them and they spring into position.
5. Rear seats. Access is harder because of the sloped roofline. Leg-space is plenty, head room less so.
6. You have to pay an arm and a leg over MSRP. This is also BS. Look around, you will find dealers willing to sell you the initial batch of 580s at very little over MSRP (I paid 2k over MSRP). PM me if you want specifics. I called about 20 dealers, some in the larger cities asked up to 50 k above, to which I laughed. I am keeping my name in line for the custom order, hopefully I will be able to configure one in about 8-10 months and swap the cars.

Ask your questions, will answer as much as I can

Last edited by svp6; 01-29-2022 at 05:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by svp6:
AppleFan1 (01-30-2022), avilent (01-29-2022), stealth.pilot (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:10 PM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I'm curious to hear about people's intelligent recuperation experiences. I've found it to work great around 95% of the time. The brake pedal movement is strange but I'm adapting. I cannot get the car to stay in D Auto after shutting the vehicle off for a period of time. Still looking into this to see if it's a settings issue on my end or a bug in the car.
The following users liked this post:
CecilLi (02-07-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by njtransit215
I'm curious to hear about people's intelligent recuperation experiences. I've found it to work great around 95% of the time. The brake pedal movement is strange but I'm adapting. I cannot get the car to stay in D Auto after shutting the vehicle off for a period of time. Still looking into this to see if it's a settings issue on my end or a bug in the car.
​​​​​​​I loved intelligent regen. It was my first drive of an EV, and I found it to be perfect. It is so good that I found the other settings superfluous. To keep it in D auto try to save it in your profile. Unfortunately, Mercedes is kind of a "stinker" in that simple option in all their cars. They always reset to normal settings (default) when you turn them off. Very annoying!​​​​​​​Final question: Do the doors soft close or not? I know the self closing feature is not available but, is the soft close gone as well?
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
AppleFan1 (01-30-2022), Decaffe (02-16-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
BTW, if someone's head touches the headliner in the rear.... GET A HAIRCUT YOU HIPPIE 🤣🤣🤣.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
stealth.pilot (01-29-2022), svp6 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:39 PM

EQS 580
Originally Posted by njtransit215
Still experimenting with it. I used to love one pedal driving on Tesla, then I got the Taycan and the coasting was fabulous. Regen is never 100% (reason why Porsche did not want to implement one pedal driving), so I am inclined to keep it off for now. However, if the intelligent thing is working well, I may reconsider.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I loved intelligent regen. It was my first drive of an EV, and I found it to be perfect. It is so good that I found the other settings superfluous. To keep it in D auto try to save it in your profile. Unfortunately, Mercedes is kind of a "stinker" in that simple option in all their cars. They always reset to normal settings (default) when you turn them off. Very annoying!Final question: Do the doors soft close or not? I know the self closing feature is not available but, is the soft close gone as well?
I asked the general manager at my dealer the same question about the soft closing of the doors. He said they do not do so.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 01-29-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
I’m curious, Toad. Why did you get it with winter tires and not all season tires?

Last edited by AppleFan1; 01-29-2022 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:38 AM

EQS 580
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I’m curious, Toad. Why did you get it with winter tires and not all season tires?
In my case, the EQS came on slick summer tires - it looks like that was the default configuration for the first batch delivered to dealers. So winter tires were a must for me in Minnesota.

That being said, over the last 15 years we leased only AWD cars in Minnesota (except my beloved SLK), and all were picked on the dealer's lot with all-season tires. We had nice vehicles (Audi A4, BMW 3 and 6 class, MB E class, Infiniti Q37, bunch of Tesla etc). Being a procrastinator, first snow caught me on all-seasons more than one time. When changing to winter tires, the impact was very obvious in terms of snow / ice grip. I figured if I lease a 50k+ car, I should be able to pay for winter tires for the extra safety. I usually get a winter+wheel package and sell it typically at half original price after 3 years when returning the lease.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:40 AM

EQS 580
To keep it in D auto try to save it in your profile. Unfortunately, Mercedes is kind of a "stinker" in that simple option in all their cars. They always reset to normal settings (default) when you turn them off. Very annoying!
Still Mercedes is much better than my Taycan - it starts in the mode I left it on (Eco / Comfort / Sport). The Taycan would go back to Normal no matter what.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
We have had our 450+ for over a month and still love driving it. We live in the mountains of NC and handling on these roads is great. A few days ago we came down one mountain in Strong Regen and never touched the brakes. When we got to the bottom the range had actually increased by a few miles.
Having said that, there a few items that I would have expected to be on an electric S-Class.
The soft close doors. I understand that that feature is included with the so-called comfort doors which was not available when our car was built.
Dynamic seats with active bolsters. Driving in the mountains I really miss this feature.
Raising the car. We have some steep driveways around here and i have already scraped bottom a couple of times.

One other observation for winter driving. The heat pump works well, and of course heats up much faster than waiting for a V-8 to heat up. But when very cold I notice a reduction in range, so highly recommend using the departure setting to get the car warmed up while plugged in.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:41 AM

EQS 580
Originally Posted by Old Dawg
Raising the car. We have some steep driveways around here and i have already scraped bottom a couple of times.

One other observation for winter driving. The heat pump works well, and of course heats up much faster than waiting for a V-8 to heat up. But when very cold I notice a reduction in range, so highly recommend using the departure setting to get the car warmed up while plugged in.
ON Mercedes Me Connect app it says geofencing (coming soon). Hopefully with that we will get the ability to raise the suspension

The heat pump is helping reduce the use of the electric heater on long runs - getting some of the heat from battery / engine to the cabin. This does not have a significant effect at the beginning of the trip. The reason EVs heat much faster is just what you pointed out - they do not rely on combustion engine to warm up, but rather on heating elements.

Last edited by svp6; 01-30-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
Be interested to hear from you about where on Mercedes Me Connect you see the reference to geofencing. Just like in a another post I referred to the Dash Cam service which appears to offer the opportunity to Buy, only to find out that that function (purchase from app) is not available yet in the US.

As to the heat pump, you are correct. It seems to work just like a home heat pump which engages "heat strips" when the temp is too low for the heat pump to work efficiently. I will say that it was a little disconcerting the first day when we got the car home and the decompression noise (or whatever it was) started coming from under the hood. Spring is coming.

Overall, this has been and continues to be a fun learning experience.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
EQS 580
Anyone out there been in an EQS with and without laminated and acoustic glass option? If so, thoughts on noise reduction during ride or improved comfort?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by svp6
ON Mercedes Me Connect app it says geofencing (coming soon). Hopefully with that we will get the ability to raise the suspension

The heat pump is helping reduce the use of the electric heater on long runs - getting some of the heat from battery / engine to the cabin. This does not have a significant effect at the beginning of the trip. The reason EVs heat much faster is just what you pointed out - they do not rely on combustion engine to warm up, but rather on heating elements.
We've had geofencing already on our previous E-class but there it has nothing to do with suspension. Just gives an alert if the vehicle enters or leaves a specified area.

A heat pump is not only using battery and engine excess heat for cabin heating but also pumps heat from the outside air. Just like air-to-air heat pumps do for houses in cold places. 1 kW heating power uses much less than 1 kW of battery power (I guess of the order of 1:3 ratio) even when all heat comes from (cold) outside air.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by LGBrandon
Anyone out there been in an EQS with and without laminated and acoustic glass option? If so, thoughts on noise reduction during ride or improved comfort?
The double paned glass is effective. No, it doesn't make the car a vault but its does provide a couple of dB of sound insulation. Its noticable. It also helps in hot climates to keep the interior a few degrees cooler. In a car with no engine the other sources of noise become more noticeable, particularly road noise. Tire selection becomes very important. The car has a lot of sound deadening, even the rear floor compartment hacth has a healthy amount of insulation. The 450 I drove did not have the optional windows, nevertheless, it was very quiet
LGBrandon (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Does anyone know if the EQS has standard rear side window shades or if it is part of the pinnacle package.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:59 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Does anyone know if the EQS has standard rear side window shades or if it is part of the pinnacle package.
They are not standard, as my Premium package does not have them. I have AMG interior and exterior packages, love the sport seats. I also do not miss the HUD, which I had in previous cars, because the screen is placed in such an advantageous position as to not need HUD. My dealer has several 450+ cars coming in unassigned, but an 11 person waiting list for the 580. I have not found my 450+ to be lacking in power (and I traded a BMW M550 on it!), so the 450+ is something to be considered for those who do not want to wait. I, certainly, have no regrets about my purchase, and have never been in a situation where I needed more power than my car can deliver.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
They are not standard, as my Premium package does not have them. I have AMG interior and exterior packages, love the sport seats. I also do not miss the HUD, which I had in previous cars, because the screen is placed in such an advantageous position as to not need HUD. My dealer has several 450+ cars coming in unassigned, but an 11 person waiting list for the 580. I have not found my 450+ to be lacking in power (and I traded a BMW M550 on it!), so the 450+ is something to be considered for those who do not want to wait. I, certainly, have no regrets about my purchase, and have never been in a situation where I needed more power than my car can deliver.
In my test drive, I found the 450 to have ample power, its actually quick. Furthermore, the power delivery is extraordinarily instant and smooth. It actually fits the car perfectly. If I lived in an area where there was little or no snow, I would picked one in a second. I also wanted a car that was at least as fast as my E43 (very fast indeed). The 580 happens to be even faster so mission accomplised🤣
Old 01-30-2022, 06:52 PM

EQS 580
Question for the owners: did anyone look at vampire drain with the Merc? Bjorn Nyland reported a 5% drop overnight when left unplugged in very cold weather. I lost 2% today during office hours. The Taycan would not drop at all, Tesla drops but quite a lot less. Please chime in, need to know if I need to worry about it....
Old 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Question for the owners: did anyone look at vampire drain with the Merc? Bjorn Nyland reported a 5% drop overnight when left unplugged in very cold weather. I lost 2% today during office hours. The Taycan would not drop at all, Tesla drops but quite a lot less. Please chime in, need to know if I need to worry about it....
I bought my car, and three days later (unfortunately) had to go to DFW area to babysit my granddaughter while the kids went on a Winter vacation. I was gone for 11 days. While away, I watched the EQS, parked in my garage in San Antonio, on the Mercedes Me app and the charge level never varied at all. It was 78% when I left, and 78% when I returned 12 days later. There were several days when temps were in the 30's, although it rarely dips below 50 in my garage. No evidence of vampires in Texas.
LGBrandon (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
​​​​​​​You are aware the car was "on" with the heater running for 6 hrs? He was using it as a camper in -18C weather!
Old 01-30-2022, 09:06 PM

EQS 580
You are aware the car was "on" with the heater running for 6 hrs? He was using it as a camper in -18C weather!
Not that one.
- he sleeps in a hotel. Check at about 11 min
Old 01-30-2022, 10:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I bought my car, and three days later (unfortunately) had to go to DFW area to babysit my granddaughter while the kids went on a Winter vacation. I was gone for 11 days. While away, I watched the EQS, parked in my garage in San Antonio, on the Mercedes Me app and the charge level never varied at all. It was 78% when I left, and 78% when I returned 12 days later. There were several days when temps were in the 30's, although it rarely dips below 50 in my garage. No evidence of vampires in Texas.
Agreed. I hope that everyone who is driving this $100k+ car is parking in a garage, that if not climate controlled has at least some ambient radiant heat from their house. The only vampires are hardcore ICE guys like me who got lured to this luxury EV.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
I think he mentioned that you would get that capacity back when the battery warmed up, so it was not really a lost. Something about just not being available when the battery is cold.
Diesel Benz (01-31-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 10:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
New owners, please post pictures/videos of your new purchases, in the sunlight if possible. Trying to decide between obsidian black, nautical blue, and diamond white.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS owners impressions