EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Car locks with key inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 12:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts
Eqs580
Car locks with key inside

Other day I left key in car, shut car off, and I got out of car for a minute in parking lot talking to someone. The handles stayed in the unlocked position. However all the doors were locked in the outward position. Thankfully I had my phone with me so I unlocked through app. I tested this again in my garage and it happened again. Is this supposed to happen ? I’ve never had a car do this. Lol. I know when u don’t lock it, ambient lights stay on, so I always lock it. I was curious if this has happened to anyone else ???
Old 05-24-2022, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Elecfour
Other day I left key in car, shut car off, and I got out of car for a minute in parking lot talking to someone. The handles stayed in the unlocked position. However all the doors were locked in the outward position. Thankfully I had my phone with me so I unlocked through app. I tested this again in my garage and it happened again. Is this supposed to happen ? I’ve never had a car do this. Lol. I know when u don’t lock it, ambient lights stay on, so I always lock it. I was curious if this has happened to anyone else ???
I leave my keys in the car every night (garaged) its never closed on its own. I suspect someone has inadvertently touched the sensor at some time. Even bumping it with your butt while sqeezing by will close it.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:57 PM

Eqs580
Do your lights stay on (ambient interior lighting). If u don’t lock door ?? No one could of bumped th handles cause I tested it again. Lol. Wondering if I need to bring it in. Maybe it’s a glitch or something. If I don’t lock car , my ambient lights stay on. I remember some other owners saying that in a thread.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
I threw my attache case with my key into the trunk and closed it. Car stayed locked until i used the app to unlock it. My S Class would not allow the trunk to close with the key in the trunk area. I wonder if this is a software fix that is needed.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:00 PM

Eqs580
Yeah it’s definitely not a good thing. I was so glad I had phone in my pocket and the app worked. Lol
Old 05-24-2022, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Do your lights stay on (ambient interior lighting). If u don’t lock door ?? No one could of bumped th handles cause I tested it again. Lol. Wondering if I need to bring it in. Maybe it’s a glitch or something. If I don’t lock car , my ambient lights stay on. I remember some other owners saying that in a thread.
remember the are many modes for the interior lights and the ambient schemes. Time, color, animations etc.
When I leave my car they stay on for 30 seconds and then fade. The handles also remain out for a few minutes and then retract. Unless I press the handle it will remain unlocked.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2019 C63CS
At least historically MBs don't have auto locking when walking away. Maybe that's new in the EQ models? Have you checked all your settings. The only auto locking that was there was if you unlocked the car, but didn't actually open a door within 30 seconds. Then it automatically locked again in case it was inadvertently unlocked with the fob in one's pocket. I have certainly inadvertently managed to lock my car while shutting the door and my palm accidently touched the square on the door handle. It can happen.

It is still possible to lock the key in the car under certain conditions. For example the fobs automatically go to sleep now after 2 minutes if they don't sense any motion. So if the car is locked and you place the fob in the trunk, then close the trunk the key could get locked in if it went to sleep and was no longer sensed by the car.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:47 PM

Eqs580
Going to check all my settings tomorrow and I will “test” it again to see if I’m somehow touching something. Lol.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:35 AM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Range Rover Land Rover
I did the same thing, left keys in the car, came back to my garage and the door handles were open but would not allow me to actually open the doors. fortunately I had my cell phone to unlock.