EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Default to rear climate off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Tesla Model Y
Default to rear climate off?

I have a 2023 450 4Matic sedan with 4 zone climate control.

Is there a way to have the car default to having the rear climate off? Right now I have to physically reach back into the backseat with my arm and turn off the rear climate every time I start the car.

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by KieranT:
ScottC2 (05-09-2023), Sir Lennox (05-12-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 06:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
I am not sure if you can permanently shutoff the rear A/C as I leave mine on. You can control it from the central screen. Selected the "menu" button in the climate control section (lower part). You will get a screen that allows you to select airflow etc. Just above is a tabbed section that lists "front", "rear" and air filtration stuff. Selection "rear" and then use the fan controller to turn off the unit.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Why do you want to turn off. You do realize that it doesn’t matter if it’s on or off right? You are not saving any energy by turning them off if that’s what you are concerned about.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Why do you want to turn off. You do realize that it doesn’t matter if it’s on or off right? You are not saving any energy by turning them off if that’s what you are concerned about.
Really? I was assuming heating and cooling the rear seats used more energy, is that not how HVAC works on the EQS?
Old 05-10-2023, 12:42 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
EQS580
Originally Posted by KieranT
Really? I was assuming heating and cooling the rear seats used more energy, is that not how HVAC works on the EQS?
Heat follows cold. If the air in the back is cold then all of your hot air from the front will go to back and the car will continually try to keep heating the front until the entire car temp is at your desired level.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:15 PM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bgrewal
Heat follows cold. If the air in the back is cold then all of your hot air from the front will go to back and the car will continually try to keep heating the front until the entire car temp is at your desired level.
Maybe the case of single zone climate control, but I don't think that's how it works for 4-Zone climate control.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by KieranT
in any confined space you have to heat/cool the entire space. The only way to save energy by turning off the rear climate control is to put up partitions.
Yes, it will always be warmer/cooler the closer you are to the source but if you don’t confine the air, the warmer air will move to cooler air and vice versa, the source will just have to work harder to keep the desired temp. Even if you are the only one in your car, you still have bring the entire cabin up to your desired temp. So it’s either have the front and back to bring the car to the desired temp or have only the front bring the entire car to the desired temp… same amount of energy.

There will always be temperature loss based on the delta between the outside temp and the desired cabin temp so to save energy you could have the unoccupied area one or two degrees closer to the outside temp because there is no point in trying to make up for the delta loss. But you won’t save any energy worthy of concern by having the climate control off.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Maybe the case of single zone climate control, but I don't think that's how it works for 4-Zone climate control.
unfortunately that’s how life/science works. If you want to get nerdy about the subject then look up thermodynamics. I took a class on it decades ago but googling the simple basics of it should help anyone understand how this complicated simplicity works.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 06:30 PM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
There will always be temperature loss based on the delta between the outside temp and the desired cabin temp so to save energy you could have the unoccupied area one or two degrees closer to the outside temp because there is no point in trying to make up for the delta loss. But you won’t save any energy worthy of concern by having the climate control off.
This is exactly what I am referring to.
4 Zone climate control has 4 zone vents and 4 temperature sensors, one in each corner.
Assuming having one vent on uses less energy than using 4 vents, then if you just turn on one vent in one corner, and only have temperature sensor in that corner active (effectively what you are trying to do when you turn the climate control of the other unoccupied areas off), you would be able to ignore temperature loss in the other 3 corners, and should use less energy than turning on 4 vents.

Last edited by nosnoop; 05-10-2023 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
in any confined space you have to heat/cool the entire space. The only way to save energy by turning off the rear climate control is to put up partitions.
Yes, it will always be warmer/cooler the closer you are to the source but if you don’t confine the air, the warmer air will move to cooler air and vice versa, the source will just have to work harder to keep the desired temp. Even if you are the only one in your car, you still have bring the entire cabin up to your desired temp. So it’s either have the front and back to bring the car to the desired temp or have only the front bring the entire car to the desired temp… same amount of energy.

That’s exactly correct. I’m a retired meteorologist and that’s one of the laws of physics.