EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Switching back to ICE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 07:10 PM

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Better leaf blowers, better mowers, better cars. better trucks. Yes maybe a chain saw could be one application where gasoline wins, but even then I am skeptical. I bet an electric product will beat it one day.
Maybe some day...only on the small scale. Other items, sure - maybe. Certainly not for "Professionals" - not folks who do it all day every day.

I wont even get into the environmental disaster all of these batteries are making (and going to create). Hell, we have a tank at one of our facilities that was going to cost us $30k for us to get rid of....but, like MANY other business' out there...we will leave it be until we abandon the property. Then, it is some other schmucks issue (I wish I was kidding).

The thing that nailed the coffin closed for me on the Tesla was a plane crash. I know the owner of the car that made this video...the car owner was NOT asked if it could be used....here is the video. If they will watch this, what is to stop them from watching what is going on in your garage? I will not have a car that can spy on me as part of its nature...what I do is not the business of the car companies, nor any government. More and more and more we are going right down the Orwellian path (mixed in with some Wall-E). I figure, I got about forty or so years left on this planet...PLENTY of classic cars that can burn massive amounts of gasoline before my time is up!

Facebook Post

Now, off to light up some charcoal so that I can cook a single pizza in the oven on the deck....because that is a good use of natural resources (all with the AC systems on the house blasting)......oh, the irony.

The following users liked this post:
MB2timer (07-03-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
Maybe some day...only on the small scale. Other items, sure - maybe. Certainly not for "Professionals" - not folks who do it all day every day.

I wont even get into the environmental disaster all of these batteries are making (and going to create). Hell, we have a tank at one of our facilities that was going to cost us $30k for us to get rid of....but, like MANY other business' out there...we will leave it be until we abandon the property. Then, it is some other schmucks issue (I wish I was kidding).

The thing that nailed the coffin closed for me on the Tesla was a plane crash. I know the owner of the car that made this video...the car owner was NOT asked if it could be used....here is the video. If they will watch this, what is to stop them from watching what is going on in your garage? I will not have a car that can spy on me as part of its nature...what I do is not the business of the car companies, nor any government. More and more and more we are going right down the Orwellian path (mixed in with some Wall-E). I figure, I got about forty or so years left on this planet...PLENTY of classic cars that can burn massive amounts of gasoline before my time is up!

https://www.facebook.com/AviationAcc...9597900358174/

Now, off to light up some charcoal so that I can cook a single pizza in the oven on the deck....because that is a good use of natural resources (all with the AC systems on the house blasting)......oh, the irony.
The environmental disaster of a battery that can be recycled almost 100%?
where do people get such idiotic info? Mining lithium more damaging than extracting oil from oil sands or fracking? Not to mention the billions of tons of Ca O2 pumped from flaring gas? Oh yes I know where all that enlightment comes from... oil companies! The same guys that told us that plastic was recyclable abd are trying to do so again, because this time they really mean it!
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
AppleFan1 (07-03-2024), MBNUT1 (07-01-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 12:22 AM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Not to worry, fellow citizens; there are always countermeasures should one feel violated. Future prediction are always incomplete, and so is 1984.Regarding green this or that, whether it is battery production or gasoline production, we are going to have byproducts. You don't get something for nothing. Look at what is sustainable in the long term, and move on with that. 2 steps forward, 1 step backward. I think that is the life cycle of EV. Go back to ICE is OK, too. You're not going to experience anything significant.
OldManAndHisCar (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
The environmental disaster of a battery that can be recycled almost 100%?

Can be or will be? Hell - EVERYTHING is made up of elements. Short of fusion or fission we can break anything down to its roots (Sodium is super fun for some home chemistry play!)....that does not mean it is effective or "clean" to do so..

Quite seriously I asked the city to take my "Recycling" container away as the rules for "recycling" cause more environmental harm than just tossing things into the landfill. At least I know my plastic is not going to end up at a playground in China.....the number is something like 95% for the EASILY recyclable materials in a normal run of the mill car (higher with all metal cars)...as for EV...hell, it is considered HazMat from the word go. The fire departments have to be retrained to contend with them and on and on...the portrayal of an EV being friendly to the environment is simply snake oil.

Our local recycling rules - no glass, "oily" cardboard...meaning pizza boxes...no glossy paper. No plastic bottles with some number on it (what ever number it is). No electronics....

Some months ago I put brake rotors in the recycling....EASILY recycled. The recycling folks took them out, put them in the yard - left a warning and drove off. Those rotors are in a land fill and the recycling container is gone. I have two trash cans as opposed to one of each. Now, if they wont do a freaking brake rotor - what on earth makes anyone think that they wall take batteries (that they already only take two days a year where I live).

Last edited by OldManAndHisCar; 07-02-2024 at 07:16 AM.
MB2timer (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
Can be or will be? Hell - EVERYTHING is made up of elements. Short of fusion or fission we can break anything down to its roots (Sodium is super fun for some home chemistry play!)....that does not mean it is effective or "clean" to do so..

Quite seriously I asked the city to take my "Recycling" container away as the rules for "recycling" cause more environmental harm than just tossing things into the landfill. At least I know my plastic is not going to end up at a playground in China.....the number is something like 95% for the EASILY recyclable materials in a normal run of the mill car (higher with all metal cars)...as for EV...hell, it is considered HazMat from the word go. The fire departments have to be retrained to contend with them and on and on...the portrayal of an EV being friendly to the environment is simply snake oil.

Our local recycling rules - no glass, "oily" cardboard...meaning pizza boxes...no glossy paper. No plastic bottles with some number on it (what ever number it is). No electronics....

Some months ago I put brake rotors in the recycling....EASILY recycled. The recycling folks took them out, put them in the yard - left a warning and drove off. Those rotors are in a land fill and the recycling container is gone. I have two trash cans as opposed to one of each. Now, if they wont do a freaking brake rotor - what on earth makes anyone think that they wall take batteries (that they already only take two days a year where I live).
No I can't recycle my rotors at the curb but I can at the metals recycling place.
Old 07-02-2024, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
GM just saw record EV sales. If EV's were Mark Twain they would say "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...r/74278162007/

Last edited by MBNUT1; 07-02-2024 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
AppleFan1 (07-03-2024), MB37 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
For those of you that are old enough to remember this GE statement: “Progress Is Our Most Important Product.”

EV’s are not only here to stay but they will overtake gas powered vehicles down the road. New technology will increase the range a lot plus I bet they will become more beneficial for the environment.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:54 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
I've bought 2 hybrids since buying the EQS one for our kid and one for the wife.. For myself, Im NEVER going back. The EQS is the best car I've ever driven. BTW its in for the first warranty repair the AC is not cooling.
my ac is not cooling either. it's warranty item?
Old 07-02-2024, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."/
For me, if I was ever to get one...it would be my fifth car (behind four MB V8's)....and also behind my other ride that burns burns 42Gal/HR (Diesel) and the Sprinter 3500/Airstream....

That is a good question to pose to EV fans...."Do you own a boat?"......
Old 07-03-2024, 02:25 AM

Received 151 Likes on 120 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
For those of you that are old enough to remember this GE statement: “Progress Is Our Most Important Product.”

EV’s are not only here to stay but they will overtake gas powered vehicles down the road. New technology will increase the range a lot plus I bet they will become more beneficial for the environment.
Not all change is progress. Not all progress is good. Heck, not all progress is progress, a lot of it is hype, plagiarism, or attempts to resurrect old, obscure, unworthy technologies.
The only way to make EVs environmentally beneficial is to recharge them with Nuclear energy. Even then it would be a stretch. Besides, counting EVs as progress is an effort in futility. All they are now is slight improvements on battery powered vehicle technology that has been around over 100 years. There is absolutely no need to artificially lionize EVs. There is nothing earth shattering, noble, or worship worthy about them.
LAZARU5 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by MB2timer
Not all change is progress. Not all progress is good. Heck, not all progress is progress, a lot of it is hype, plagiarism, or attempts to resurrect old, obscure, unworthy technologies.
The only way to make EVs environmentally beneficial is to recharge them with Nuclear energy. Even then it would be a stretch. Besides, counting EVs as progress is an effort in futility. All they are now is slight improvements on battery powered vehicle technology that has been around over 100 years. There is absolutely no need to artificially lionize EVs. There is nothing earth shattering, noble, or worship worthy about them.
Utterly incorrect. Even when using coal as electricity the equivalent mpg of the EQS is 92 mpg! More than 4 times less CO2 than and equivalent ICE powered car of the same size. Lets face it, aside from slightly less convinient refueling for long trips EVs are better in every singke category than ICE cars. Quieter; faster, safer, superbly better fir the environment, there is no competition. Heck even the Ionic 5N ( A kess exoensive hothatch) eats E63's and M5 for breakfast fir half the price!
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
AppleFan1 (07-03-2024), MBNUT1 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 04:42 AM

SL63
Utterly incorrect. Even when using coal as electricity the equivalent mpg of the EQS is 92 mpg! More than 4 times less CO2 than and equivalent ICE powered car of the same size. Lets face it, aside from slightly less convinient refueling for long trips EVs are better in every singke category than ICE cars. Quieter; faster, safer, superbly better fir the environment, there is no competition. Heck even the Ionic 5N ( A kess exoensive hothatch) eats E63's and M5 for breakfast fir half the price!
If what I said was utterly incorrect, you (possibly inadvertently) admitted to worshipping EVs.
The thermal efficiency of coal plants is about 34-36% about the same as ICE.
The electricity transmission lines efficiency is 85-92%.
Combining efficiency loss for plant and wires, not to mention battery losses, makes EVs less efficient.
Therefore, even if you used the cleanest coals, just from an efficiency standpoint, EVs would be less clean for the planet. Thus, Nuclear would be required to slant the advantage.
2 days ago, Ford closed down their EV program.
EV batteries will need replacement every 8-15 years. ICE vehicles are still on the road after 50-60 years or more.

Last edited by MB2timer; 07-03-2024 at 06:31 AM. Reason: +4 lines +2
OldManAndHisCar (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
If what I said was utterly incorrect, you (possibly inadvertently) admitted to worshipping EVs.
Combining efficiency loss for plant and wires, not to mention battery losses, makes EVs less efficient.
Therefore, even if you used the cleanest coals, just from an efficiency standpoint, EVs would be less clean for the planet. Thus, Nuclear would be required to slant the advantage.
EV batteries will need replacement every 8-15 years. ICE vehicles are still on the road after 50-60 years or more.
Just the facts. Numbers dont lie. 60 year old cars.... right
Old 07-03-2024, 07:27 AM

Based on current standards of affordability...EV's are also racist. I have not seen a single charger in the projects of Chicago, Orlando, Miami.....or any other city. Yes, they do hurt the lower income folks MORE (as does any tax)
MB2timer (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 07:41 AM

60 year old cars.... right

Your right. Some are currently at 100 years old.
MB2timer (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 09:47 AM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Meh, our oldest is 89 years old.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:47 AM

SL63
MGUY Australia, a British engineer and lawyer, has studied EVs extensively. He doesn’t have anything nice to say about them.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes S560
MGUY Australia, a British engineer and lawyer, has studied EVs extensively. He doesn’t have anything nice to say about them.
Why not provide a source or a link?
Old 07-03-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Ford thinks they got beaten by other automakers to be profitable with EV. Their bread and butter are trucks and SUV for the average American with exception of a few outliners. The EV program was basically for the dealers; it probably means they will be downsizing their EV production for the foreseeable future . . . because they can't compete in the EV car market. The Lightning was a failure according to their matrix.

If you'll are really concern about the earth, I highly recommend to sell all your cars, take public transportation, and invest in a bicycle. If you are aiming for sustainability, you don't know unless you experiment. In any project, the people are always the strongest and toughest constraint. Technology and process can be formulated very quickly, but it's the people that typically slows down the progress. Sometimes that is a good thing, but most of the time, it's the reason we still have holy war mentalities after thousands of years. Our evolutionary nature just doesn't allow us to change that fast. And so the EV debate goes on.

The reason I would buy another EV and not an ICE is based on my use case scenario. I'll let the priest, the rabbi, and the monks continue to debate about EV. I'll just enjoy my ride.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:59 PM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
There is absolutely no need to artificially lionize EVs. There is nothing earth shattering, noble, or worship worthy about them.
Maybe not, and I don't "worship" them.
The fact is that I enjoy my EV ownership much much more than ICE.

I enjoying not having to go to gas station every week.
I enjoying no maintenance and oil service.
I enjoy the quiet driving experience.
I enjoy preheating my car in winter inside my closed garage.

It may change you mind if you have a chance to live with an EV for a period of time.

Last edited by nosnoop; 07-03-2024 at 06:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nosnoop:
AppleFan1 (07-03-2024), LasVegas_89135 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Love my EQS 580 SUV but not quite ready to give up these three yet….

The following 4 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
hlothery (07-03-2024), MB2timer (07-04-2024), MB37 (07-04-2024), OldManAndHisCar (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:36 AM

Received 336 Likes on 210 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Maybe not, and I don't "worship" them.
The fact is that I enjoy my EV ownership much much more than ICE.

I enjoying not having to go to gas station every week.
I enjoying no maintenance and oil service.
I enjoy the quiet driving experience.
I enjoy preheating my car in winter inside my closed garage.

It may change you mind if you have a chance to live with an EV for a period of time.
I was reading this post and its animosity, and was thinking the same thing as you. Is it possible I can just enjoy my car independent of all the politically charged comments (how this become a political thing, I do not understand)? I like it. Others like their ice vehicles. So what. There's no need to prove anyone wrong for their preference.
The following 7 users liked this post by nath_h:
Gilbert580 (07-04-2024), HBerman (07-04-2024), LastOne (07-04-2024), MB2timer (07-04-2024), MBNUT1 (07-07-2024), OldManAndHisCar (07-04-2024), Radman991 (07-04-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:35 AM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Some of my "environmental friendly" friends who bought an EV, have totaled them already after one or 2 years (Yeah, try Scratch a Unibody Tesla).

I don't think EVs are environmental friendly but I do plan to get an EQS and an ID BUZZ because I enjoyed them as loaners.
Old 07-04-2024, 11:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by ILoveNY
Some of my "environmental friendly" friends who bought an EV, have totaled them already after one or 2 years (Yeah, try Scratch a Unibody Tesla).

I don't think EVs are environmental friendly but I do plan to get an EQS and an ID BUZZ because I enjoyed them as loaners.
There we go again. Why always assume that EV owners/lovers are environmental conscious or friendly?
Old 07-04-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
You sound like you have no clue. Anyway not a big deal. Seems like your time is up soon.

But you are right most people here don't care about the cost of fuel. We care about performance and electric beats gasoline on performance. Better leaf blowers, better mowers, better cars. better trucks. Yes maybe a chain saw could be one application where gasoline wins, but even then I am skeptical. I bet an electric product will beat it one day.

There are corner cases where gasoline is better - but they are corners cases. Buying a crappy product for the corner case is kind of dumb.
I guess that after three-quarters of a century driving and ownership of roughly 40 cars, I'm still one of the few who has never cared a whit about performance - other than "Will it get me there safely?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switching back to ICE?