Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

2005 E55 with 95k, can I get a warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
2005 E55 with 95k, can I get a warranty?

Can anyone suggest anything worthwhile?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
On a 13 year old car? Not likely. Save the money and use it towards repairs.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
You can consider something like geico repair insurance ... works similar to a warranty... try looking into it

usually they'll pass on amg cars
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff****kk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

welp.... I guess I'll go broke trying to get this car up to spec
Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by MACEDON
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff****kk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

welp.... I guess I'll go broke trying to get this car up to spec
Sounds like you can't afford the car...

Not trying to be harsh, but these are old luxury cars, and were expensive when new, and carry the same maintenance cost as they age, if not more so. I only have a CL600 because I do the work myself. In the last year, I've spent over 5K in PARTS ONLY, at dealer employee cost, repairing the suspension, ignition, cooling system, fixing leaks, etc. It's insane, I could have bought a ~5 y/o normal car for the money I spent on this, and had zero maintenance bills for a year. But I pay the premium to drive a great car.

If you will go broke keeping it on the road, you need to have a daily driver or consider a less problematic car. Even though the 211 E55 is a great platform and fairly reliable compared to other benzes, when things break it gets expensive fast at a shop.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Sounds like you can't afford the car...

Not trying to be harsh, but these are old luxury cars, and were expensive when new, and carry the same maintenance cost as they age, if not more so. I only have a CL600 because I do the work myself. In the last year, I've spent over 5K in PARTS ONLY, at dealer employee cost, repairing the suspension, ignition, cooling system, fixing leaks, etc. It's insane, I could have bought a ~5 y/o normal car for the money I spent on this, and had zero maintenance bills for a year. But I pay the premium to drive a great car.

If you will go broke keeping it on the road, you need to have a daily driver or consider a less problematic car. Even though the 211 E55 is a great platform and fairly reliable compared to other benzes, when things break it gets expensive fast at a shop.
I'm fairly aware of how expensive they can be honestly because it's my third Merc, but yeah. I can afford it but will def have to hold off a bit on the mods for about a year.

I am planning on doing anything that doesn't require a lift and has a DIY tutorial myself
Old 05-04-2017, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
For the Canucks on these pages my dealer sells SecureDrive at three levels.
My 2013 C63 AMG had 46000 km on the odometer when I got it last September. It was under factory warranty until March 2017 so they did not require an inspection which normally would run $400.
Due to the cost of R&R of say the engine or trans to say nothing of the electronics that can go sideways I bought the Elite plan. The retail on it was $4000 but my dealer gave me $500 off that. It covers pretty much everything excepy consumables - oil, brake pads, filters, wipers etc. I bought the $250 deductible and it is fully transferrable to any other owner within Canada as long as it is transfered at the issuing dealer within 30 days of sale. I am covered to 96 months or 100,000 km. Worth the money if you are going to keep a car well past the factory warranty of 80000 km or 48 months.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Just dropped $3400 on repairs

for anyone wondering, I called fidelity and some other company, and another which was recommended... the verdict was "Oh, we can't insure that car because it is AMG, that's what the note here says on my screen"

So here's what you do: Put away $300, if you want to be extra safe $400 a month.

I paid mine off, $14.5k out of door, $180 to straighten my wheel, $220 on rear tires, $110 on filters from Shardul, oil change, tranny fluid service, OEM flex discs, valve covers, spark plugs, wires, tensioner bearings, new belts... $4k

So this car is costing $20k, should be okay for a little while on repairs, but that's how they are.

So this is exactly why warranty companies will not insure it, or if they do it will be an astronomical price with tons of exclusions.

The car is worth every penny to me, when I drive it- it puts the biggest smile on my face and I feel like a kid again.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Just dropped $3400 on repairs

for anyone wondering, I called fidelity and some other company, and another which was recommended... the verdict was "Oh, we can't insure that car because it is AMG, that's what the note here says on my screen"

So here's what you do: Put away $300, if you want to be extra safe $400 a month.

I paid mine off, $14.5k out of door, $180 to straighten my wheel, $220 on rear tires, $110 on filters from Shardul, oil change, tranny fluid service, OEM flex discs, valve covers, spark plugs, wires, tensioner bearings, new belts... $4k

So this car is costing $20k, should be okay for a little while on repairs, but that's how they are.

So this is exactly why warranty companies will not insure it, or if they do it will be an astronomical price with tons of exclusions.

The car is worth every penny to me, when I drive it- it puts the biggest smile on my face and I feel like a kid again.
Of course they will not cover these things. Consumables - plugs, brake pads and rotors, routing oil and filter changes, dmaged wheels (insurance?) wipers , tires - are all part of a well organized maintenance program on any car be it a MB, AMG or a Toyota. Insurance is protection against system and mechanical failures not routine service.
I am not in the least surprised that lot of this was not covered. From you llst I was surprised to see the tensioner as it is specifically listed as covered in my policy.
You have to look at these insurances as protection against catastophic failures first and foremost. Everything thereafter is a bonus.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Of course they will not cover these things. Consumables - plugs, brake pads and rotors, routing oil and filter changes, dmaged wheels (insurance?) wipers , tires - are all part of a well organized maintenance program on any car be it a MB, AMG or a Toyota. Insurance is protection against system and mechanical failures not routine service.
I am not in the least surprised that lot of this was not covered. From you llst I was surprised to see the tensioner as it is specifically listed as covered in my policy.
You have to look at these insurances as protection against catastophic failures first and foremost. Everything thereafter is a bonus.
I don't have a warranty, nobody is willing to even sell me one. It would make sense that the consumables are not covered.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
As I noted in my earlier post they ain't cheap but then again so is health insurance for pre-existing conditions if you leave Canada.
SecureDrive insured my SLK350, my 2015 CLA45 AMG and had no issues insuring the 2013 C63 AMG. Unfortunately they only operate in Canada but surely there is an American equivalent out there other than Fidelity?