G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Point of no return - Go, or No-Go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 05:50 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 G63
Point of no return - Go, or No-Go?

This got super long. Sorry. Bear with me here.... not many audiences I can have this sort of soul-searching with ;p

So, I ordered a G63 in August of last year. I've been very excited by it for a long time, and didn't have too much of an issue agreeing to a $10k non-refundable deposit, as I figured the dealer would be thrilled for me to not take it if I let them out, and I could always sell fairly easily if I needed to. I added terminology that locked the deal to prevailing MSRP and buy-rate finance, so the deal felt fair. I've been obsessively tracking my car, watching videos, reading articles and, up until about 4 weeks ago, I was confident in my decision.

Now, I've never actually driven a G-wagon. Of any kind or age. I've been a rear passenger in an old G550 once, and sat in the driver seat of a 2019 once for about 2 minutes. That didn't bother me too much either - I'd figured that if I didn't love the car as much as I hoped I could always sell it fairly easily and not take a huge hit. I've got mildly concerned as I saw folks complain about whistling windows, shattering glass, or rattles - but again, not too difficult to resell if I had issues.

I traded my old car, and took the loss on that, in early March. My G63 was produced in February, made the VPC in early March, and is now on a truck to my dealership (after a lengthy delay at the VPC). Once it arrives at the dealership, the 14-day "take it, or lose $10k with nothing to show for it" timer starts.

However, the entire world has changed in the last month. I haven't left the house in 5 weeks, save to drive our BMW i3 (other end of the spectrum from the G63!) to run a single necessary errand. Amidst the angst and chaos of the new world we're in, am I doing the right thing to complete this purchase? I know that I can't ask people here for financial guidance, and that you're all going to be biased to "pro-Mercedes", but maybe you can help me get off the fence a little.

1. A G63 suddenly feels like a car that's going to be much, much, harder to sell again - without taking a large loss. How bad a hit do we think I'm taking if I want, or need, to sell it again in 6 months?

2. I loved my 2016 diesel range rover with 20" wheels. It felt imperious and indestructible. I didn't care about curbs or potholes and loved driving through every deep puddle and muddy rut I could find. I ordered my G63 with the trail package vs the killer 22" rims so I didn't have to worry about this issue. Am I going to feel that I need to "baby" a G-wagon? My Model X felt so fragile and awkward to park, which is one of the reasons I sold that car early.

3. I had a 2019 Range Rover LWB Supercharged I sold after a few months (another large-ish loss) because the new "Duo-Pro" touchscreens that kept crashing and mandatory stop start drove me nuts. I care about Carplay working, the stereo sounding good, and the UX not crashing. Am I going to have issues with MB's technology in the G63?

4. I sold my Model X mostly because it felt fragile, and the interior just didn't feel "special". I'm all about a luxury feeling interior that feels quality. What's the verdict on the G63 after owning for a while, for those also interior-obsessed? I'll often drive with the stereo off, just so I can enjoy the engine noise and my thoughts - rattles will drive me nuts.

5. I had an X5M and Cayenne Turbo that didn't last long because they just weren't "fun" to drive. Unless you were thrashing them, they'd actually make you feel "tense". I loved my 911s because they could be a blast to drive, but equally relaxing as a distance cruiser. I'm not expecting a G63 to be a sports car at all, but is it still fun around town and at lower speeds, and relaxing on the freeway when you have to commute in heavy traffic?

6. I exited my X7 because it just didn't feel special. It was good at most things but just.... dull. After the newness wears off, does the G still feel "special" to drive and own? Or do the compromises kill that?

7. Is the height actually that much of a PITA for parking?

I realize that these are very much insignificant concerns when people around us are sick, unable to pay rent, buy food, or see family members. I'm feeling a great deal of guilt from that, but that's all on me. I wouldn't be making a choice to start this buying process now and, if I hadn't already eaten the loss on selling my X7, I'd be leaning much more towards "Now's not the time". Those ships both sailed.

I'd welcome any thoughts on the questions above.....

OK... tl;dr.... hope you're all staying [relatively] sane and healthy. Happy Friday!

Last edited by alistairg; 04-17-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Maybe you can post the specs and locations and find someone to take your place and buy it instead?
Old 04-17-2020, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by alistairg
This got super long. Sorry. Bear with me here.... not many audiences I can have this sort of soul-searching with ;p

So, I ordered a G63 in August of last year. I've been very excited by it for a long time, and didn't have too much of an issue agreeing to a $10k non-refundable deposit, as I figured the dealer would be thrilled for me to not take it if I let them out, and I could always sell fairly easily if I needed to. I added terminology that locked the deal to prevailing MSRP and buy-rate finance, so the deal felt fair. I've been obsessively tracking my car, watching videos, reading articles and, up until about 4 weeks ago, I was confident in my decision.

Now, I've never actually driven a G-wagon. Of any kind or age. I've been a rear passenger in an old G550 once, and sat in the driver seat of a 2019 once for about 2 minutes. That didn't bother me too much either - I'd figured that if I didn't love the car as much as I hoped I could always sell it fairly easily and not take a huge hit. I've got mildly concerned as I saw folks complain about whistling windows, shattering glass, or rattles - but again, not too difficult to resell if I had issues.

I traded my old car, and took the loss on that, in early March. My G63 was produced in February, made the VPC in early March, and is now on a truck to my dealership (after a lengthy delay at the VPC). Once it arrives at the dealership, the 14-day "take it, or lose $10k with nothing to show for it" timer starts.

However, the entire world has changed in the last month. I haven't left the house in 5 weeks, save to drive our BMW i3 (other end of the spectrum from the G63!) to run a single necessary errand. Amidst the angst and chaos of the new world we're in, am I doing the right thing to complete this purchase? I know that I can't ask people here for financial guidance, and that you're all going to be biased to "pro-Mercedes", but maybe you can help me get off the fence a little.

1. A G63 suddenly feels like a car that's going to be much, much, harder to sell again - without taking a large loss. How bad a hit do we think I'm taking if I want, or need, to sell it again in 6 months?

2. I loved my 2016 diesel range rover with 20" wheels. It felt imperious and indestructible. I didn't care about curbs or potholes and loved driving through every deep puddle and muddy rut I could find. I ordered my G63 with the trail package vs the killer 22" rims so I didn't have to worry about this issue. Am I going to feel that I need to "baby" a G-wagon? My Model X felt so fragile and awkward to park, which is one of the reasons I sold that car early.

3. I had a 2019 Range Rover LWB Supercharged I sold after a few months (another large-ish loss) because the new "Duo-Pro" touchscreens that kept crashing and mandatory stop start drove me nuts. I care about Carplay working, the stereo sounding good, and the UX not crashing. Am I going to have issues with MB's technology in the G63?

4. I sold my Model X mostly because it felt fragile, and the interior just didn't feel "special". I'm all about a luxury feeling interior that feels quality. What's the verdict on the G63 after owning for a while, for those also interior-obsessed? I'll often drive with the stereo off, just so I can enjoy the engine noise and my thoughts - rattles will drive me nuts.

5. I had an X5M and Cayenne Turbo that didn't last long because they just weren't "fun" to drive. Unless you were thrashing them, they'd actually make you feel "tense". I loved my 911s because they could be a blast to drive, but equally relaxing as a distance cruiser. I'm not expecting a G63 to be a sports car at all, but is it still fun around town and at lower speeds, and relaxing on the freeway when you have to commute in heavy traffic?

6. I exited my X7 because it just didn't feel special. It was good at most things but just.... dull. After the newness wears off, does the G still feel "special" to drive and own? Or do the compromises kill that?

I realize that these are very much insignificant concerns when people around us are sick, unable to pay rent, buy food, or see family members. I'm feeling a great deal of guilt from that, but that's all on me. I wouldn't be making a choice to start this buying process now and, if I hadn't already eaten the loss on selling my X7, I'd be leaning much more towards "Now's not the time". Those ships both sailed.

I'd welcome any thoughts on the questions above.....

OK... tl;dr.... hope you're all staying [relatively] sane and healthy. Happy Friday!
I also have the trail package and feel a lot safer knowing that the tires are beefy and can handle pretty much any pothole. With regards to babying G wagons, I think it depends - these cars are certainly not cheap and I always am cautious about where I park (leaving enough distance when parallel parking, parking away from shopping cart areas, etc.) but it doesn't bother me that much. If anyone does open their car door into your G, it is more likely than not that it will hit the running board before the actual paintwork. One thing that I did notice about the G compared to the previous generation is how much wider it is - I am much more careful going in/out of my garage, but it doesn't feel wider than most SUV's or luxury sedans (doesn't feel wider than my previous 2014 S550). Another note - I don't valet my G - I've seen enough dented spare wheel tire carriers in Beverly Hills to trust anyone with this car except my family members.

On technology, I haven't had any issues with the system - it's a little awkward to use at first (The last generation's system was MUCH simpler), but CarPlay turns on the minute you plug your phone in. The Burmester sound system is LIGHT years ahead of anything else I have experienced in a Mercedes-Benz product, specifically the bass. I thought I wouldn't like using the touch pads on the steering wheel, but they are actually much more responsive and faster than the scroll wheel. I have never had Mercedes COMAND glitch or fail on me in any car I've owned. If you don't listen to music, the exhaust is amazing particularly with the valve flaps open - it does sound a little smoother, partly because of the new laminated/acoustic glass on the new generation G (which eliminates a LOT of noise compared to the 2013-18 models).

With regards to selling these cars, I'm not going to lie - I had difficulty selling my 2015, but that's probably because I had an interesting color combo (Paprika and Titanium interior) more than anything else. I would keep in mind that it's not as easy to sell these G's privately because the buyer would have to pony up a lot more cash compared to say, a used S class or something (which has horrible depreciation).

On height and driving, you do need to be careful with parking lots. Some lots don't have enough clearance for the G, so always watch out! I only take mine in typically if it's at least 6'6" or higher. On driving dynamics, this thing is a BEAST even in comfort mode. It is sooooo much more fun to drive compared to my 2015 - the 2015 had a lot more charm - heavy steering wheel, very rough suspension, reflections from one side of the car onto the other side of the car because of the previous generation's flat glass, etc.) but this one feels sportier and I can take corners MUCH better - on the freeway, the car feels 100% more solid compared to the last generation. I feel like I could drive 500 miles in this car at one time and be comfortable - the seats are also much wider, more supportive, and generally more plush compared to the outgoing model. All in all, I would highly recommend the G. The high driving position, short dash, and thin pillars give you great visibility and this thing is so much darn fun. Right now, I'm still driving slowly until I get the feel for the car - with my 2015, I could whip through tight corners, squeeze between cars, and more with ease because the 2015 was narrower. This definitely feels a bit larger, so I am driving extra cautiously until I feel like I know the car well.

If I were you, I would test drive or rent a G550 for the day. Don't think the 63 would be worse than that in any way. Every time I get in the G, it is an experience - whether I'm driving to get takeout now during corona, or on a long journey. This thing has so much road presence and feels incredibly, incredibly solid. Oh, and one more thing - with my old G, I NEVER felt bored with it up until the day I sold it. The quirks of that car made it incredibly special (mentioned above and things like the basketball hoop cupholder, steel doors, and exhaust rumble). This new one definitely feels a bit more generic (not going to lie), but still very special - time will tell if I'll get bored, but so far, this thing is so, so, so much better than the old one.

Last edited by newyorktoLA; 04-17-2020 at 06:58 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by newyorktoLA:
alistairg (04-17-2020), JSwan724 (04-18-2020), NikBenz1 (04-17-2020), pdeacon (04-17-2020), places (04-18-2020), sweet63 (04-17-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 G 63
You're doing some serious soul searching. You're "on the fence," and it weighs on you. We've all been there. Pulling the trigger on a G 63 is a big decision in the best of times. There's nothing wrong with stepping back and waiting for the world to settle down.
The following 4 users liked this post by sweet63:
alistairg (04-17-2020), AMGBEASTMODE (04-17-2020), SGTzAMG (04-25-2020), VaderOne (07-06-2021)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Originally Posted by sweet63
You're doing some serious soul searching. You're "on the fence," and it weighs on you. We've all been there. Pulling the trigger on a G 63 is a big decision in the best of times. There's nothing wrong with stepping back and waiting for the world to settle down.
But losing $10k would suck. Even if one can afford it throwing it away might be worse than taking a chance and buying it and selling it later. I would hate to see a dealer, or anyone for that matter, get that amount of coin for nothing in return, especially when they will be able to sell it to someone else. When a deposit is given here in Florida a dealer will give it back when they sell it, as long as they sell it for at least what they would have received from the depositor.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:41 PM

2024 G 63
I see. I read the post, but I thought he had a window of time to change his mind without losing the deposit.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
But losing $10k would suck. Even if one can afford it throwing it away might be worse than taking a chance and buying it and selling it later. I would hate to see a dealer, or anyone for that matter, get that amount of coin for nothing in return, especially when they will be able to sell it to someone else. When a deposit is given here in Florida a dealer will give it back when they sell it, as long as they sell it for at least what they would have received from the depositor.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:42 PM

2020 G63
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You summarized my quandary much more succinctly than I, Bob .

I actually have a contract agreement that I even got a lawyer to review for me recently (can't hurt to have options). In this economy, contractually committed and with me as a new customer for this dealership, they'd shock me if they didn't want keep my deposit and also try and sell the car for over sticker. Not naming and shaming them - I haven't come to that conclusion yet, nor asked. I'm also feeling bad because my sales guy is still being helpful via email even though he's been laid off....

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2020, 08:43 PM

2020 G63
Originally Posted by sweet63
I see. I read the post, but I thought he had a window of time to change his mind without losing the deposit.
Nope - that closed in October once my allocation was assigned. It's buy, or walk and lose $10k.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:44 PM

2020 G63
Don't get me wrong - I was *so* excited by this car until mid-March. It looks spectacular, is super cool, has the tech, engine, aesthetics, abilities - everything I'm looking for. I didn't set out to be one of those people we all hate "Meh, I'll buy it, and flip it if I'm not into it". I'm now trying to persuade myself to *not* be excited so I can make a logical decision.

Second guessing my second guesses at this point!
Old 04-17-2020, 08:48 PM

2024 G 63
Try talking to your dealer. Nothing to lose. There's always a chance that he might surprise you and treat you fairly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:00 PM

2024 G 63
I see. I have similar terms with my dealer ($15K mark-up and $5K non-refundable deposit). For what it's worth, I'm optimistic about the future of our country We'll get through this!

Nope - that closed in October once my allocation was assigned. It's buy, or walk and lose $10k.
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (04-20-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
First see if the dealer will refund the deposit--you never know. They may be willing to refund it since your deal is at MSRP if they think they can get more elsewhere. These times are so unusual as well they may make exceptions.

Otherwise I would go forward with the purchase- you may get it and decide you love it! I wouldn't be happy with losing $10k with nothing to show for it.

I remember the guilt I felt when I bought my RR Sport. It cost more than double my previous vehicle, but the guilt quickly faded once I drove it. I imagine you'll feel the same way.

On a side note you have owned some awesome vehicles, but you are right not to settle if the vehicle doesn't make you happy. Hopefully the G63 does it for you.
sweet63 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:12 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Talk to dealer first. Do it over the phone or video chat so that there is a human element. If they refuse to refund the deposit, honestly that is their right since it seems it was made clear the terms and conditions of it.

Personally, unless you are hurting for money, I would take the car. Resale will suffer but that is a bit of a red herring since resale is suffering across all cars. I would say that MSRP is still below market as any G63 listed for slightly above MSRP still finds a buyer very quickly even in these times.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:44 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
maybe its just me but resale has never mattered to me. Heck, i own 2 McLarens, Ferrari, Range Rover, Porsche and GWagon on order and all of them are going to take a bath when i go to sell especially McLarens!!! Whether its a supercar or super truck, the market has been soft for some time and not going to change... too many options out there for buyers... If OP is grappling over cost, the expense of the car and worried about depreciation etc... i would talk to dealer and back out... in this price range/market, the fun factor and “experience” should outweigh monetary concerns including depreciation - the dealer will likely refund. IMHO, if you can afford these cars and these price ranges, you shouldnt really let depreciation be a factor as you shouldnt stretch to buy these cars. You buy, enjoy the heck out of them and never really be worried about resale because the “event” outweighs the cost. You only live once. You should never buy a car under an assumption that it will retain much of its value.

If OP is simply feeling guilty because of the environment around him with COVID-19 and job losses etc... thats a feeling i totally get and feel every day i drive my cars... i can only imagine what others are thinking on the road. that said, these cars are a great escape from the reality of what is going on around you even for an hour while you take a spin from being on house lockdown... even today i took a toy for a 30m drive and it was such a good therapy!!! my opinion, if OP can easily afford, take order, enjoy fruits of labor... I also believe the world will get better soon! I say take car, have fun and guilt will be gone quick!!!

Last edited by spourreza; 04-17-2020 at 09:50 PM.
NikBenz1 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 01:40 AM

2020 G63
Thanks all, great food for thought!
Old 04-18-2020, 02:15 AM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63

——-Can’t suggest anything here as I buy my cars with exact configuration I want to keep for many years ...

——no, it’s not. It feels hardcore and indestructible and I have 22”

——no electrical issues after about 10 months - day and night vs my RR ATB issues ...

——no rattles - super solid interior and it sounds amazing and very nimble on its feet.

——its special with a deep soul..very aggressive and nimble when you want it to be. AND I got 911 too..if you like 911, you’re going to like it

——Still feels special. You have to take care of it to keep it special

——not everywhere, footprint is pretty small, same as a 4Runner or perhaps smaller but height works in most newer parking structures, not older ones in city like San Francisco

Last edited by Festertester; 04-18-2020 at 02:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Festertester:
NikBenz1 (04-18-2020), sweet63 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 03:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 - G63; RR.AB; ML350; ML320; ML400; M3; 200CE; 200E
Hello to everybody, my 2c are exactly the same as @Festertester above, I'm coming from a 2016 FFRR ATB..., ...in fact I remember all of you on FFRR forum, but in my case it was a 3.0 Diesel engine so, having owned also an M3, I've been missing some power and, now, well, for my driving style, I feel I'm taking the most of both worlds.

Back to the G63 and philosophy:
+ You live only once
+ Life is too short (Covid-19 weight a lot in this also)
+ Guilty feel will fade away @ first "sport" setting activation
+ Gas station owner will pray for you

Hope it helps
JSwan724 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None
Very honest story. Tnx for sharing.

For any life decision I make: when in doubt, don’t.

You don’t want to be stressed about material stuff, the 10k is a write off, you might be compensated for. I’m sure that when you post the configuration, some people here might be willing to take over your order. After all, the g63 is still in relatively high demand at this point.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 AM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
At the end of the day, if the purchase doesn't put you in any sort of financial despair, I would say go for it. I had very similar thoughts about my incoming G but have decided to take the leap. I plan on having the vehicle for a long time and if anything goes wrong, always the ability to sell it. Sure, you'll take a loss but there will always be a buyer. My plan is drive it for 6 months (wife agrees) and then make the decision whether it's going to be in the family for the long haul or whether it's going up for sale. I can pretty much guess that we will love it and it's not going anywhere.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
Judging by the tone of the post, this sounds like an unwise decision to buy the car tbh. Go with the decision that you know is the right one in the long run and not what your emotions make you want to do right now. If this car is a significant portion of your net worth (ie >10% or whatever your threshold is), I wouldn't do it. If it's not, then who cares, just do it and skip the rest of my reply - life is too short and you can't buy more time. Worrying about losing 10k or 50k on this car suggests to me that this isn't a good decision. The stress of a possible bad scenario is not worth the instant gratification you get. Reflect on your financial position and what is important to you. If your job is at risk (if that matters), you'd also be insane to do it if you need that job. Pretend you're giving advice to a friend in the exact same situation and you should come to the right answer for yourself. Sorry for the winded response.
Thino (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E400 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by skeelo
Judging by the tone of the post, this sounds like an unwise decision to buy the car tbh. Go with the decision that you know is the right one in the long run and not what your emotions make you want to do right now. If this car is a significant portion of your net worth (ie >10% or whatever your threshold is), I wouldn't do it. If it's not, then who cares, just do it and skip the rest of my reply - life is too short and you can't buy more time. Worrying about losing 10k or 50k on this car suggests to me that this isn't a good decision. The stress of a possible bad scenario is not worth the instant gratification you get. Reflect on your financial position and what is important to you. If your job is at risk (if that matters), you'd also be insane to do it if you need that job. Pretend you're giving advice to a friend in the exact same situation and you should come to the right answer for yourself. Sorry for the winded response.
yes and just call dealer and ask for a refund on the deposit. You wont get what you dont ask for.

Then think about what you want to do. No point in assuming right now. Who knows they might just refund you 100% no hassle. If they do.. take it!

Or, if they give you other options, come back here and discuss..

Last edited by jameshkim87; 04-18-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:45 AM

2020 G63
So, firstly, thanks so much for all the genuine thoughtfulness that's gone into everyone's responses - I sincerely appreciate you all helping pragmatically address my angst here

I've concluded that this isn't much more than guilt and general "uncertainty" angst. So, I'm going to:

1. Wait until "lockdown" starts to normalize. I'm not in a giant rush for a car I can't drive anyway.
2. Go and test drive the car before I sign for it. I think that'll make this a no-brainer one way or the other.
3. If, as I suspect, I love it - I'll go ahead and suppress the guilt all the way to the gas station. If I don't, I'll be face-to-face with the dealer and will ask for release from the deposit contract and negotiate that in person. They've got a couple of "lesser" cars on their lot that I'm sure they'd be delighted to sell me instead, like an E63S sedan or E55 convertible, either of which I'd likely be thrilled by.

I figure I need a car and, if I buy one I don't love, that's where the concern over "wasting" amounts of money comes from. Regardless of your level of wealth, it's always foolish to not consider purchases carefully. I wasn't concerned about this car before I started to become concerned about "everything" and life is short

Last edited by alistairg; 04-18-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
So, firstly, thanks so much for all the genuine thoughtfulness that's gone into everyone's responses - I sincerely appreciate you all helping pragmatically address my angst here

I've concluded that this isn't much more than guilt and general "uncertainty" angst. So, I'm going to:

1. Wait until "lockdown" starts to normalize. I'm not in a giant rush for a car I can't drive anyway.
2. Go and test drive the car before I sign for it. I think that'll make this a no-brainer one way or the other.
3. If, as I suspect, I love it - I'll go ahead and suppress the guilt all the way to the gas station. If I don't, I'll be face-to-face with the dealer and will ask for release from the deposit contract and negotiate that in person. They've got a couple of "lesser" cars on their lot that I'm sure they'd be delighted to sell me instead, like an E63S sedan or E55 convertible, either of which I'd likely be thrilled by.

I figure I need a car and, if I buy one I don't love, that's where the concern over "wasting" amounts of money comes from. Regardless of your level of wealth, it's always foolish to not consider purchases carefully. I wasn't concerned about this car before I started to become concerned about "everything" and life is short
I'll be shocked if you don't like it. I rented one for a week once (just the g550) on a snowboarding drip in Colorado. I loved it as much as I love getting into my s63, which is one of the fastest depreciating cars I could have bought, but I couldn't care less every time I drive it.
2820G63 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:40 PM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
s class
Bought mine 2 weeks ago with the guilt of the corona stuff going on also but now have sense of it was a good decision. Im in the auto industry and feel pretty confident things will be ok in 6 months
The following 2 users liked this post by Telly Bettis:
alistairg (04-19-2020), sweet63 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
03 G55 - 13' CLS550 - 90' 560SEC
Talking

Sounds like a pretty wise thought process. Showing interest in purchasing another vehicle at their dealer can potentially give you much greater leverage in negotiating with your deposit - the dealer is obviously still within their right to do whatever they so choose but I wouldn't be surprised if they acted in good faith here. Judging from your original post, however, it seems you've tried everything in the segment short of an SQ8, Urus, Benteyga, or Cullinan. Hope things work out for you, I hope to be a G63 owner myself one day

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Point of no return - Go, or No-Go?