G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Should I be looking at importing a G63 from Europe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari 488 GTB
Should I be looking at importing a G63 from Europe?

Hey, long time lurker, first time posting.
Like everyone else, I'm in the market for a new G63. I've contacted a bunch of dealers, both in state and out of state, but all want 40-50K over MSRP. So, that got me thinking if importing one would be a better option then playing these games with the US dealers. Has anyone looked into doing this, or has done it?
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 984 Posts
No more MB:(
Can't even begin to think about the complexities.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Makes zero sense. First, you should be able to find one for $25K over easily. As in if you called and said $25K over, they wouldn't even attempt to barter for more.

Second, importing a G63 from Europe will cost you even more than that and is a huge hassle. To give an idea, you have try to trick the seller that you aren't an exporter (which you are), you have to avoid getting it registered in Europe to avoid paying taxes, you have to get a letter from the manufacturer saying what modifications are necessary to import, pay to have all those modifications installed in Europe, show proof of that to CBP, pay for the shipping and import brokerage, pay customs duties, pay US taxes on the car.

Finally to wrap it all off, your resale will be significantly lower since it's an import which will scare a lot of buyers. Odometer tampering is alot more rampant in Europe than US, and importing is a great way to erase the paper trail.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Given DOT/EPA regulations, Euro MB export polices, Euro taxes and lack of dealer support here in the US, I would say that it is NFW for importing one.
The following users liked this post:
black06c230 (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
Agree, would probably cost significantly more than the dealer markup. Starting with the fact that cars in Germany are more expensive to begin with. Then all the shipping cost, marine insurance, taxes, import fees etc. along with the complication of temporarily registering and insuring it as an export vehicle so you can transport it to the port legally. Then the conversion cost of making an EU spec vehicle legal in the USA etc. The most feasible approach would probably be if the car was registered in Europe for I think at least 6 months, so that it qualifies as personal property and you can bring it along as part of a "relocation", but then again you have to pay the 19% VAT in Germany, so that alone would be much of the dealer markup you pay here combined with the higher German MSRP would make it more expensive before even considering all the shipping and import costs. But you also wouldn't have any warranty on the vehicle either way. The warranty is country specific and MBUSA won't give you warranty on a non US car, not even if you bring one in from Canada.

The closest experience to importing a Mercedes from Europe is doing European Delivery. That way MB handles everything from registering and insuring it as an export vehicle and handle/pay all the shipping, marine insurance, custom, import taxes etc. and the vehicle is already US spec, so no conversion to make it legal in the USA. Also, ED orders go essentially through MBUSA directly and have fixed pricing, although the dealer still facilitates the process. Unfortunately, the G is not eligible for EDP.

Pretty much your only options are paying the markup, wait until the demand dies down and the markups disappear, or move on.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None
Originally Posted by jyaki
Like everyone else, I'm in the market for a new G63. I've contacted a bunch of dealers, both in state and out of state, but all want 40-50K over MSRP. So, that got me thinking if importing one would be a better option then playing these games with the US dealers. Has anyone looked into doing this, or has done it?
Thanks!
There were a few offered here on the forum, 40k is way more than current market. Ask around and you will get one for 10k if you need it fast.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:16 AM

Ferrari 488 GTB
Thanks for all the insight guys. I guess I'm gonna have to play this game with the dealers then.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM

Ferrari 488 GTB
Originally Posted by Thino
There were a few offered here on the forum, 40k is way more than current market. Ask around and you will get one for 10k if you need it fast.
That's what I thought also when I started contacting dealers. I'd read someone posting here that they got it for MSRP so I thought it was possible. Maybe I just need to contact more dealers? One dealer told me it's pretty much impossible to find one at MSRP since even dealers are buying them off the lots of smaller dealers. I guess they even agree to take some of their slower moving cars to sweeten the deal.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... the original Idea/Post is unworkable - for all the points earlier reply's have made.

Yes - there are larger Dealer's both on the West Coast and East Coast that are actively "buying" inventory of high-line 2020 AMG models from other dealer's outside their area to enhance their inventory on High-Line going into Fall to meet their market demand - but NONE of that activity involves G-Wagen's ... the "smallest" dealer in the US that has a G-Wagen knows it will sell if not locally to a legitimate buyer that finds it thru the Internet.

Those "G's" that show available today - by and large are waiting for the customer willing to pay the "total price" set by that dealer..
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Thino
$25K seems to be the standard screw for the dealers in my area. If you find one at $10K, go for it.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 AM

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG G63
Originally Posted by jyaki
Thanks!
Mercedes Manhattan is the flagship dealer In the states and they are not allowed to add markups per strict corporate policy. Call them and place an order, you do have to wait for a year and change though.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts
2023 G63
Not that it's possible but the best theoretical place to get a G outside of the US is Canada, not Europe.

Cheaper with the exchange rate and easier logistically without having to arrange transport across the ocean. However, they have their own wait lists, and I don't believe Canadian dealers will sell to Americans.

Plus the whole closed border thing going on right now.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 984 Posts
No more MB:(
As this and other threads have proven, there are no shortcuts. Someone has an idea to outsmart the market, however the same options remain. Pay a premium for now, order and wait, or exhaust the phones and maybe get lucky.