G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Door won’t unlock - can’t open door 2015 G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotus Elise
Door won’t unlock - can’t open door 2015 G550

On our 2015 G550 when we unlock the car the rear door lock will cycle (makes the attempt to unlock and the manual lock post moves slightly) but won’t fully unlock and we can’t open the door from either the inside or outside. I can hear the mechanism moving, but it’s as if it isn’t unlocking all the way or it’s stuck. Using moderate force I can’t pull the lock/unlock post up all the way either (I don’t want to break it).

The car is still under warranty, but the dealer is two hours away so if it’s an easy fix I’d much rather do it myself. At this point the door is stuck closed, which will make it interesting to get the kids in and out of the backseat...
Old 11-15-2020, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
I'd take it in or ask them to come pick it up. See if they can diagnose and have the parts ready so you done have to make two trips.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:45 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Try unscrewing the lock post. Sometimes the post unscrews slightly and jams preventing the mechanism to unlock. Once you have unscrewed the post use a drinking straw too line up the pin and try screwing the post back on moderately tightly. Sometimes this will work. I am encouraged by the fact that you detect the mechanism attempting to unlock. Sounds like it is jammed .Good luck.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by pdeacon
Try unscrewing the lock post. Sometimes the post unscrews slightly and jams preventing the mechanism to unlock. Once you have unscrewed the post use a drinking straw too line up the pin and try screwing the post back on moderately tightly. Sometimes this will work. I am encouraged by the fact that you detect the mechanism attempting to unlock. Sounds like it is jammed .Good luck.
I think there's a lifetime warranty on the 140 decibel locking noise.
The following users liked this post:
The_G_Man (12-24-2022)
Old 11-16-2020, 05:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG G63
Originally Posted by Copple
On our 2015 G550 when we unlock the car the rear door lock will cycle (makes the attempt to unlock and the manual lock post moves slightly) but won’t fully unlock and we can’t open the door from either the inside or outside. I can hear the mechanism moving, but it’s as if it isn’t unlocking all the way or it’s stuck. Using moderate force I can’t pull the lock/unlock post up all the way either (I don’t want to break it).

The car is still under warranty, but the dealer is two hours away so if it’s an easy fix I’d much rather do it myself. At this point the door is stuck closed, which will make it interesting to get the kids in and out of the backseat...
this used to happen to my rear passenger door. So pretty much you turn the little black door lock thing that sticks out counter clockwise(unscrew it). It will come off, once it’s off, look in the hole you will see the metal bar that pushes lock up to unlock. Find something thin to maneuver the metal bar back to the middle of the hole then screw the black top back
Old 11-16-2020, 08:04 AM

Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Kwesi400
this used to happen to my rear passenger door. So pretty much you turn the little black door lock thing that sticks out counter clockwise(unscrew it). It will come off, once it’s off, look in the hole you will see the metal bar that pushes lock up to unlock. Find something thin to maneuver the metal bar back to the middle of the hole then screw the black top back
Thanks! I tried unscrewing the lock all the way last night but didn’t remove it (for fear of loosing the part it screws into down inside the door). I’ll try this when I get home later today.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:01 PM

Lotus Elise
So I tried unscrewing the locking post, letting it fall down inside the door slightly. Needed to use a plastic straw to re-align the threaded metal post and then re-threaded the locking post back on. Still didn’t work. I was able to use a little more force on the inside handle to get the door to open, but now the interior handle is a little loose...

So the new questions - did I damage the interior handle or is it just a matter of reconnecting things once I pull the door card off? Still debating just pulling the door card off and fixing myself vs taking into the dealer.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG G63
So I tried unscrewing the locking post, letting it fall down inside the door slightly. Needed to use a plastic straw to re-align the threaded metal post and then re-threaded the locking post back on. Still didn’t work. I was able to use a little more force on the inside handle to get the door to open, but now the interior handle is a little loose...

So the new questions - did I damage the interior handle or is it just a matter of reconnecting things once I pull the door card off? Still debating just pulling the door card off and fixing myself vs taking into the dealer.
most likely the spring/cable got loose by pulling hard. You might have to take the door card off
Old 11-17-2020, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Take it to the dealer. Better yet keep fiddling until the door falls off.

Last edited by places; 11-17-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Might be helpful - dude kindof "vapes" a bit...
Old 11-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by places
Take it to the dealer. Better yet keep fiddling until the door falls off.
That’s very helpful, thank you. Perhaps you missed the part about our dealer being two hours away. If I can avoid spending 8 hours in the car driving back and forth I’d rather go that route. Typically many of these issues have simple fixes and so if I can knock it out in an hour or two even better.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by streborx
I think there's a lifetime warranty on the 140 decibel locking noise.
I always likened it to a French guillotine.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
That’s very helpful, thank you. Perhaps you missed the part about our dealer being two hours away. If I can avoid spending 8 hours in the car driving back and forth I’d rather go that route. Typically many of these issues have simple fixes and so if I can knock it out in an hour or two even better.
More power to you! I avoid dealer service departments. My experience has been that you schedule an appointment that gets lost. You show up and tell them specifically what's wrong, they chuckle and brush your off, telling you that one of their expert techs will run a diagnosis. You spend an hour waiting before the service manager walks in to tell you exactly what you told him when you arrived. Then he tells you parts need to be ordered, and hands you an invoice for $200 for the diagnosis. You go back a week later when the part has arrived to find out the wrong part was shipped. I'm not making this up. I haven't taken a car to a dealer service department (except for a recall) for 12 years, and would drive around with the door off before I'd ask a dealer to repair it.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by streborx
More power to you! I avoid dealer service departments. My experience has been that you schedule an appointment that gets lost. You show up and tell them specifically what's wrong, they chuckle and brush your off, telling you that one of their expert techs will run a diagnosis. You spend an hour waiting before the service manager walks in to tell you exactly what you told him when you arrived. Then he tells you parts need to be ordered, and hands you an invoice for $200 for the diagnosis. You go back a week later when the part has arrived to find out the wrong part was shipped. I'm not making this up. I haven't taken a car to a dealer service department (except for a recall) for 12 years, and would drive around with the door off before I'd ask a dealer to repair it.
You need to change dealers!
Old 11-18-2020, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd be concerned with doing something that could actually negate the warranty. You can make it nice day trip
Old 11-20-2020, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Man... did you watch the Vid ? The dude is righteous on how he "handled it" (pun).. yes. "often" it's that adjustment screw on the inner side of the door handle.. whre vinyl gloves when handling the inner protective liner if you go in there - that black goo is like from Jurassic Park or the La Brea Tar Pits..
The following users liked this post:
places (11-20-2020)