G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G63 Leg/Head Room

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
G63 Leg/Head Room

Hi all- I searched and couldn't find an answer so I am asking here. I am a big buy 6'5 250 and essentially a sort of shaved Yeti. My wife wants a G63 listed locally from the same place I got mt GTR. She currently has a Defender that I have lifted etc. Before we drive through all the SF Bay traffic a question I have is- Does the G63 have a good deal of leg room? The Defender is tiny inside and I hate riding in it. I am hoping the G63 has better leg and head room in it. Also, I am about to go through my 2nd knee reconstruction surgery and I'd like to get either the G63 or the full size Range Rover she is also interested in before that since getting in to my GTR or the Defender post knee reconstruction would be comical (for anyone watching) when leaving the hospital.

Any thoughts on cabin space interior would be welcome- Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I'm not sure about the legroom in the G, but the headroom is effectively unlimited.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:38 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by Floobydust
I'm not sure about the legroom in the G, but the headroom is effectively unlimited.

LOL good point thanks- In fairness my head is pretty darn big. Empty but large like a sports stadium off season.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:11 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
Are you looking at a 2019+ G63 or an up to 2018?

The Previous owner of my truck (2005) was 6'5" and said the truck was great for him, but he also drove a Mini Cooper S. I'm only 5'8" and the headroom is obviously ample, but the leg room isn't that great. With the seat all the way back, you may have enough leg room to be comfortable, but there will be no room in the back for anyone.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:01 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by shiann
Are you looking at a 2019+ G63 or an up to 2018?

The Previous owner of my truck (2005) was 6'5" and said the truck was great for him, but he also drove a Mini Cooper S. I'm only 5'8" and the headroom is obviously ample, but the leg room isn't that great. With the seat all the way back, you may have enough leg room to be comfortable, but there will be no room in the back for anyone.
OK thanks that is very helpful.

She found a low mileage 2017 with the entire Brabus catalog attached to it.

The only time I think she will let me drive it is when she sends me on an errand. She is a Cambridge educated lawyer and I gave up reading our premarital contract on page 93 so I may only be allowed to buy it but not drive it. I'll have my attorney ask her

I am lucky that she is picking me up at the hospital and getting in there with a massive leg brace is my primary concern. I am too big in general for this world
The following users liked this post:
sprfrkr (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 05:29 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
Hah! You missed the key points on page 94 guaranteed.

If there's no one in the back, it'll probably be fine. The seating position may not be ideal for someone as tall as you, most notably the total leg room and leg angle position, but will probably be ok overall if it's not a roadtrip length drive, which for the AMG G's, is only like 250 miles per tank.

The full size Range Rover would definitely be more comfortable in almost situation, but will tank in value all day, every day. The G63 will hold its value pretty well over time, depending of course how long you plan to keep it.
Ftedd (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:00 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by shiann
Hah! You missed the key points on page 94 guaranteed.

If there's no one in the back, it'll probably be fine. The seating position may not be ideal for someone as tall as you, most notably the total leg room and leg angle position, but will probably be ok overall if it's not a roadtrip length drive, which for the AMG G's, is only like 250 miles per tank.

The full size Range Rover would definitely be more comfortable in almost situation, but will tank in value all day, every day. The G63 will hold its value pretty well over time, depending of course how long you plan to keep it.

Yep I was just looking at depreciation and here in SF Bay they are essentially every other car/SUV/truck with Teslas being the next most popular. I am guessing if I can cram in to my GTR nicely I can get in to the G63 thanks again for the scoop!

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 AM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by TriggrPullrUSMC
Hi all- I searched and couldn't find an answer so I am asking here. I am a big buy 6'5 250 and essentially a sort of shaved Yeti. My wife wants a G63 listed locally from the same place I got mt GTR. She currently has a Defender that I have lifted etc. Before we drive through all the SF Bay traffic a question I have is- Does the G63 have a good deal of leg room? The Defender is tiny inside and I hate riding in it. I am hoping the G63 has better leg and head room in it. Also, I am about to go through my 2nd knee reconstruction surgery and I'd like to get either the G63 or the full size Range Rover she is also interested in before that since getting in to my GTR or the Defender post knee reconstruction would be comical (for anyone watching) when leaving the hospital.

Any thoughts on cabin space interior would be welcome- Thanks in advance.
I had a 2017 G63. I am only 6 foot tall and a bit longer in the legs then the upper body. I didn't like the leg room as the driver in my 17. With the brake pedal being out a ways from the floor, it seemed hard to get to the brake fast when my foot was on the floor and my knees were bent more then I typically like, even with the seat all the way back in the 17. So I found the German made seat extenders that go under the seat rails and I installed them. That put the seat back another inch and it was much better. But to be honest, I would have liked it back another inch or even 2. I am buying the 2022 model year G63 and was told the new models have that one inch extra leg room in the front seat compared to my 17. I said the problem is I don't know if it will be enough to where I will really like it. He said well the pedals were moved in a bit more as well. Not sure if that is true or BS, but he said they were closer to the floor than the prior gen. I am getting the unit for sticker, so I figure if I don't like it, I can drive it a year and at least recoup my money and get another 911. I know, opposite end of the spectrum. But I am not picky in that respect (:
TriggrPullrUSMC (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 AM

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
G63, G65
Originally Posted by TriggrPullrUSMC
OK thanks that is very helpful.

She found a low mileage 2017 with the entire Brabus catalog attached to it.

The only time I think she will let me drive it is when she sends me on an errand. She is a Cambridge educated lawyer and I gave up reading our premarital contract on page 93 so I may only be allowed to buy it but not drive it. I'll have my attorney ask her

I am lucky that she is picking me up at the hospital and getting in there with a massive leg brace is my primary concern. I am too big in general for this world
I'm 6'6", 310lbs, and the pre-'19 models are driveable, but not comfortable for any kind of long distance. I did a 6 hour round trip a couple of times, but I wouldn't do it again if I had other options. Plenty of headroom, but the leg room sucks. If you are longer torso/shorter legged then you might be ok, but if you need your legs stretched out at all you won't like going very far in it. I found the gas pedal was too close, so my leg got tired of being bent so much, and the front of my shin would almost cramp up after loong stints behind the wheel., It's just an odd angle. That being said, if you are just going to cruise it once in awhile it will be a fun truck to drive. Around town you will be fine.

The '19+ models improved the leg room, and the same 6 hour round trip is now much more enjoyable. I kind of feel like the shoulder room is a touch less though.
TriggrPullrUSMC (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
A Range Rover LWB would be a *much* more comfortable experience vs a G, but an entirely different one altogether.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:53 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by sprfrkr
A Range Rover LWB would be a *much* more comfortable experience vs a G, but an entirely different one altogether.

Yeah Range Rovers are an option but they are way over done in this area. I feel like every other car is a RR or a Tesla and if nothing else that often creates service backlogs. I have had great experience with the local Mercedes dealer and my AMG GT R and that also helps sway me from the RR. Definitely an option though.
Jagdpanzer (06-23-2021)