G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2022 GWagon Assembly line closing - converting to hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Honda CRV
Assembly line closing

Hello, i am the autor of the Facebook post.

What the dealer told me is they are closing the V8 AMG engine assembly line, and converting to hybrid engine. They told me this will impact 2022 delivery date.

Uppon searching on internet i did findinfo that could confirm my dealer information. MB has been working on 48V elecric assist for a while. Also the 2024 range for all electric looks on par with other news sites.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
‘22 G63 ‘23 G63 4x4
Spoke to my dealer this morning about changing a build I have in. He said they’re continuing production with MY ‘21 options into ‘22. Reason being they were changing the injectors on the current motors but couldn’t get them to pass emissions so they’re postponing all changes, I guess that would validate the E63 and GT63S ‘22 cancellations also. Also asked him about the 73 hybrid version and said he’d heard of MB making it available in ‘23 but not confirmed. This also came from a GM and not a salesman, I guess its all here say till MB actually confirms anything.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Originally Posted by Izzone
Not that this thread is to bash EVs....as I know its coming

but when the world changes to EV's, we will need to address how we pay for road tax with a large percentage of road tax paid by gas

Ive heard that EV's may end up having a large "road tax" put on them....making the economics turn
I pay $300 EV tax per year to WA state for my Volt. The bandwagon for EV's to save the world is capitalism in action. We will be paying more for electricity than we would for gas and diesel, cars will be cheaper to produce and cost more. Already the charging stations are absolutely outrageously mind boggling expensive and they take forever. It is not worth it at all to have an EV outside of town and it wont be practical to have out in the country for decades. When I started the EV experiment all charging stations were free across the USA.

Hydrogen is what we should use and Toyota is the only manufacture left still doing the R&D and it looks like they are getting crushed. The USA needs to solve the electricity problem anyway whether electricity is stored in batteries or electricity is used to create hydrogen. There would be a lot less battery waste on the earth and a lot less destruction from mining holes in the earth to produce the batteries decades into the future if we used hydrogen. Nuclear power and hydrogen cars FTW. Covering our deserts with solar panels is a bad idea.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Originally Posted by Nik640
Spoke to my dealer this morning about changing a build I have in. He said they’re continuing production with MY ‘21 options into ‘22. Reason being they were changing the injectors on the current motors but couldn’t get them to pass emissions so they’re postponing all changes, I guess that would validate the E63 and GT63S ‘22 cancellations also. Also asked him about the 73 hybrid version and said he’d heard of MB making it available in ‘23 but not confirmed. This also came from a GM and not a salesman, I guess its all here say till MB actually confirms anything.
To be taken with a grain of salt but my dealer said the most recent news is the 63 engine doesn't pass emissions so there may not be any more G63's made going forward and was interested in buying mine more so than selling me one.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
https://www.carwow.co.uk/mercedes/ne...s-release-date

Old 07-26-2021, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 982 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by hard top
I pay $300 EV tax per year to WA state for my Volt. The bandwagon for EV's to save the world is capitalism in action. We will be paying more for electricity than we would for gas and diesel, cars will be cheaper to produce and cost more. Already the charging stations are absolutely outrageously mind boggling expensive and they take forever. It is not worth it at all to have an EV outside of town and it wont be practical to have out in the country for decades. When I started the EV experiment all charging stations were free across the USA.

Hydrogen is what we should use and Toyota is the only manufacture left still doing the R&D and it looks like they are getting crushed. The USA needs to solve the electricity problem anyway whether electricity is stored in batteries or electricity is used to create hydrogen. There would be a lot less battery waste on the earth and a lot less destruction from mining holes in the earth to produce the batteries decades into the future if we used hydrogen. Nuclear power and hydrogen cars FTW. Covering our deserts with solar panels is a bad idea.
Curious, what does it cost to charge full and what is the range?

Also I agree with pretty much everything you said although true capitalism would allow markets to dictate. That's not what is happening. This mandate is being pushed on us by governments and bureaucrats.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Looks like the G will be the way every other SUV is going these days - an SUV body grafted on to a sedan chassis. So much for true off roading, I guess. Not many 200KW charging stations in Moab either, now, or anytime. But given its primary buyers, it should go well in the marketplace.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Originally Posted by places
Curious, what does it cost to charge full and what is the range?

Also I agree with pretty much everything you said although true capitalism would allow markets to dictate. That's not what is happening. This mandate is being pushed on us by governments and bureaucrats.
My car has a small battery but it is about the equivalent energy of a gallon of gas. It can use 12 kWh out of a 16 kWh battery and is advertised to have a 38 mile range and that is a good average, targeted to a 12k mile a year driver. The car gets about that range on one gallon of 87 octane and last time I went to charge (2017?) it was over $5.00 and 4 hours charge on a L2 charger. Gas is still lot less then that per gallon.

My 2013 Volt doesn't support fast charging (DC charging) like most cars do today, but those DC charging stations that are in malls and other commercial properties are even more expensive. The charge providers see value in the electricity charge rate of DC and cost usage even higher than an L2 charger. But to offer charging, too many companies have their hand in it and that makes it expensive. The credit card company fees, the provider of the slider to accept the credit card and send it to the merchant, the charging station itself, the electricity, the space the chargers are on, the firmware upgrade maintenance on the stations and the network required which is often wireless. Everyone involved in that stack of services/vendors wants to profit. There are still free L2 chargers out there and the charge prices do vary depending on if the property owner is trying to attract EV drivers and subsidies to support the service. They also have to pay for vandals, accidental damage, people that cut the charge cable for copper scrap and other unexpected maintenance. In some areas of the PNW and I'm sure other areas of the US, you can't just have copper laying around exposed and unprotected as charging stations normally are.
The following users liked this post:
places (07-26-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:14 PM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Probably not, just taxed with 20 buck a gallon gas and no resale value. U know what I mean.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by hard top

Yep, quit strip mining for lithium and take on hydrogen. As well, we would have to deal with used batteries and cell degradation over time etc.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Izzone
Not that this thread is to bash EVs....as I know its coming

but when the world changes to EV's, we will need to address how we pay for road tax with a large percentage of road tax paid by gas

Ive heard that EV's may end up having a large "road tax" put on them....making the economics turn
Hmm, I posted my reply previously, but it seems to have disappeared. The government will probably mandate a pay per mile tax using a cellular link. This way they get a two-for - the revenue and they can track you every move just like they are try to do with cameras, license plate readers, and toll transponders (these are not being read in thousands of locations other than tollways).
Old 08-02-2021, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 760 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Floobydust
Hmm, I posted my reply previously, but it seems to have disappeared. The government will probably mandate a pay per mile tax using a cellular link. This way they get a two-for - the revenue and they can track you every move just like they are try to do with cameras, license plate readers, and toll transponders (these are not being read in thousands of locations other than tollways).
EVs aren't a problem, but rather a huge opportunity for taxation. Everyone on this forum knows what they last paid for a gallon of gas and the mpg last displayed on their instrument panel. Many even know how much federal and state tax are included the price per gallon.
Nobody knows what they last paid their electric company per kilowatt-hour. I'm on autopay -- I don't even know what my last bill's total was. Nobody knows how many kwhrs it takes to charge their EV, much less "how empty" their battery was or how many miles per kwhr their EV averages. So state and local governments will pull some numbers out of the air and apply them to electric utility rates across the board. If you own an EV, you'll be subsidizing the roads and bridges. If you don't own an EV, you'll be paying taxes as a penalty to subsidize roads and bridges. Electric rates will sky-rocket -- x10 if your juice comes from fossil fuel plants -- only x8 if your juice comes from a renewable. Install your own solar panels? You'll get taxed on their presumed output. EVs will cost more per mile than ICEs by the time the taxman gets fed.
Never let a crisis go to waste.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:43 PM

Mercedes G63
I wonder how man charging stations will pop up when needed in a year or two. In Omaha there might be a couple lol

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 09-16-2021 at 05:08 PM.