W463A stalling and power loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes G-class W463A
W463A stalling and power loss

hello

my car has stalled several times as i was in city traffic and once on highway. i lost all power steering and brakes. it has only happened 5-6 times so far in about 30k kilometers and in 2,5 years of driving. And like always ... dealer has no fix for it, even cant detect it.
has anyone els had same problems? any solutions?
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by roosaar372
hello

my car has stalled several times as i was in city traffic and once on highway. i lost all power steering and brakes. it has only happened 5-6 times so far in about 30k kilometers and in 2,5 years of driving. And like always ... dealer has no fix for it, even cant detect it.
Haven't experienced this on my 2019 G550, but if/when I do, my solution will be a Range Rover.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
hello

File a complaint with the NHTSA (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm).
The following users liked this post:
sweet63 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Yes, there are a couple of threads on here about the issue. One person said dealership did an update to his transmission.
Same story from dealer in all cases, no solution and no detection of an issue when they plug it into diagnostics.
084runnerltd (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM

Mercedes G-class W463A
had 3 Range Rovers before ... cant say that it is a trouble free car : ))))
084runnerltd (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 06:49 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Was you Stop/Start active when it happened?

With more and more of these threads popping up, I would imagine Mercedes has to be aware of it....likely playing dumb until they can find a fix.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
check out this thread... this issue has happened to me. although its only happened once so far (i dont put a lot of miles on my G). dealer couldn't find the issue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...top-issue.html
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 S550 4Matic 2009 GL 550 2009 AM DBS
This has happened 3x with our 2020 G550 and each time on a slight hill and in Comfort mode with stop/start activated. Took into service and they found that the battery wasn't being fully charged and felt this was the culprit. So, they installed the new battery and said now its "seems" okay. Guess we'll see if it happens again.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:01 AM

G550
i dont know if its a weak battery that is causing this. but i have been driving for about 2k miles with start/stop turned off ever since the stalling issue occurred and it hasnt returned so far. lets hope it stays that way.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by montreal red
i dont know if its a weak battery that is causing this. but i have been driving for about 2k miles with start/stop turned off ever since the stalling issue occurred and it hasnt returned so far. lets hope it stays that way.
What I find least appealing about the ECO start/stop "feature" is its reliance on probably a dozen or or so sensors, and the consequential conditions, to function as intended. Even if all these conditions are binary factors, there are 2^12 (4096) possible combinations that have to be accounted for in software, of which some combinations tell the engine to shut off, some tell the engine not to shut off, and the rest are assumed unlikely to ever happen. If you recall the "sudden acceleration" incidents involving Audi's and Toyota's, it seems highly probable now that when indeterminate states arise, the default action is always to kill the engine. In an earlier related post about this engine stalling phenomenon, I asked not only about the ECO start/stop activation state, but also if the driver was "two-footed" -- braking with the left foot and gassing with the right foot -- but nobody ever replied on this. If you can imagine yourself being a car's ECU tasked with deciding when to shut the engine on and off, and being issued two conflicting commands -- "stop .. no wait, go .. no wait, stop .. no, I mean go .. really, I mean it this time, but can't you do both?" -- it's easy to understand why you as the ECU would give up and kill the engine.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:19 AM

G550
Originally Posted by streborx
What I find least appealing about the ECO start/stop "feature" is its reliance on probably a dozen or or so sensors, and the consequential conditions, to function as intended. Even if all these conditions are binary factors, there are 2^12 (4096) possible combinations that have to be accounted for in software, of which some combinations tell the engine to shut off, some tell the engine not to shut off, and the rest are assumed unlikely to ever happen. If you recall the "sudden acceleration" incidents involving Audi's and Toyota's, it seems highly probable now that when indeterminate states arise, the default action is always to kill the engine. In an earlier related post about this engine stalling phenomenon, I asked not only about the ECO start/stop activation state, but also if the driver was "two-footed" -- braking with the left foot and gassing with the right foot -- but nobody ever replied on this. If you can imagine yourself being a car's ECU tasked with deciding when to shut the engine on and off, and being issued two conflicting commands -- "stop .. no wait, go .. no wait, stop .. no, I mean go .. really, I mean it this time, but can't you do both?" -- it's easy to understand why you as the ECU would give up and kill the engine.
yup agreed. theres probably too many variables going on behind the scenes to control whether the engine is cut or not. so i guess in very specific situations, the ecu decides to cut the engine even though it really shouldnt. also other thing i noticed is that engine start stop really does very little to improve fuel economy... its not worth the hassles that come with it but i guess mercedes has to comply with whatever regulations are out there so they dont have a choice.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
G63s and a few others
This has happened to me once as I was accelerating into traffic. Very dangerous.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 AM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
G63s and a few others
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Was you Stop/Start active when it happened?

With more and more of these threads popping up, I would imagine Mercedes has to be aware of it....likely playing dumb until they can find a fix.
This happened to me and I always drive in Sport + so start/stop was deactivated.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:50 AM

Mercedes G-class W463A
One thing im sure of is that its not realated to start/stop. as i always drive in sport and start/stop is off in that mode. Also in my case its not always realated to low speed. Once it turned off on highway ... but i was lowering speed to make a turn. I think i have one of oldest cars here as i received it in august 2018 and in that time it has turned off 5-6 times. So 2k miles trouble free driving does not show it is solved im afraid
Old 01-28-2021, 02:51 PM

G550
One thing im sure of is that its not realated to start/stop. as i always drive in sport and start/stop is off in that mode. Also in my case its not always realated to low speed. Once it turned off on highway ... but i was lowering speed to make a turn. I think i have one of oldest cars here as i received it in august 2018 and in that time it has turned off 5-6 times. So 2k miles trouble free driving does not show it is solved im afraid
wow having the car shut down on the highway would indeed be scary. it seems like most of the incidents i have heard of are shut downs at low speed (either speeding up or slowing down). have you tried to bring it to your dealer? what did they say?

in my case, they were of little help. they said there were no error codes saved in the system related to the sudden shut down. they sent some of my data to merc canada and told me to keep driving and monitor the car. lol... really not much help. they did say they'll give me a call if any potential fixes come up. this was 4 months ago and i havent heard anything.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:25 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
2020 MB AMG G63, 2022 MB AMG SL55
Just reading this thread and ugh what??? First the windshield cracking up and now the car dies while driving... I agree G is not for everyone but hell not for dead one either. It must be devastating to those who've already experienced this issue, but please keep us posted as it could happen to any of us.