Sponsored by:

World Tour in a G-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55
World Tour in a G-class

My wife and I have been and still are planning a world tour that will last, more or less, a year. We are looking to do it in a G-class as we find it to be, overall, the ideal vehicle.

We currently have a 2010 G55 but I am thinking to buy a G550 for the trip. From what I read here it seems more comfortable, especially for long trips. I can't comment since I have never driven a 500 nor a 550 but I find the 55 to be comfortable. The only reason I would consider a 550 over the 55 is the side exhausts (although I am sure the tips could be removed?). Also, I doubt there is a big difference in fuel consumption between the 55 and the 550. Not that it matters but if it can save us from a "no fuel" breakdown, it would help.

What are your thoughts? Any recommendation for such venture? Modifications? Spare parts? Anything worthy to know would help our planning.

Thanks ahead of time!
|

Last edited by Behike; 04-19-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 040 Black C63, 2009 Arctic White G55, 2012 Storm Red CLS550 4Matic
Your local body shop could probably just remove the tips and weld them back whenever you finish your trip. Other than that i'd say an extra tank of gas, make sure your spare is in usable condition as well. Then theres the monthly checkup things that you should make sure to do before you leave such as checking the tire pressure, oil, washer fluid, etc.. Also try to bring a portable tire compressor too, that could definitely come in handy. Theres probably many other things that i'm missing but thats just basic stuff. You might want to also get some kind of service done before you leave. To be honest though, i personally would not take a G on a trip like that regardless if its the 550 or the 55. I just wouldn't be comfortable in a truck of that size in extensively long drives and not to mention the gas mileage would be horrendous! If you decide to go though, enjoy!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 AM

2011 G55
I asked around and removing the exhausts tips seem fairly easy. Like you said it involves welding. The additional gas tank and a portable air compressor are excellent ideas too. I am still analyzing the pros and cons about taking a G-class for the tour but so far, it is the choice. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
That's an amazing idea! What id your planned route if you don't mind me asking? The difference in comfort between the G55 and G550 is minimal. I have a G55 and drove the G550, so that my opinion. Fuel consumption is a bit better on the 550 due to the 7-speed transmission.

All the best! I'd take the G55!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 AM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by ATKM5
That's an amazing idea! What id your planned route if you don't mind me asking? The difference in comfort between the G55 and G550 is minimal. I have a G55 and drove the G550, so that my opinion. Fuel consumption is a bit better on the 550 due to the 7-speed transmission.

All the best! I'd take the G55!
Thank you!

Withouth passing by every single country, the starting point will be the East Coast in North America > Canada > USA > South America > Antarctica > South Africa > Africa > Europe > North Europe > Greeland > Scandinavia > Eastern Europe > Middle East > Asia > South Asia Pacifi > Australia.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 AM

2011 G55
I received an email from member JaBig but I am not able to reply back due to member's preferences. He shared with me that the G550 can run on regular fuel while the G55 only runs on premium fuel. It's a big plus. Premium fuel will likely not be available everywhere. Thank you for the email and all the best in your upcoming world tour as well!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by hovyamg
Thank you!

Withouth passing by every single country, the starting point will be the East Coast in North America > Canada > USA > South America > Antarctica > South Africa > Africa > Europe > North Europe > Greeland > Scandinavia > Eastern Europe > Middle East > Asia > South Asia Pacifi > Australia.
That's some trip you've planned
Amazing idea. We hope to see some pics in this thread in about a year
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by hovyamg
I received an email from member JaBig but I am not able to reply back due to member's preferences. He shared with me that the G550 can run on regular fuel while the G55 only runs on premium fuel. It's a big plus. Premium fuel will likely not be available everywhere. Thank you for the email and all the best in your upcoming world tour as well!
Not sure I'd get too excited yet. Will regular unleaded resist pre-ignition a.k.a. engine knock? Aside from poor performance pre-ignition can ultimately cause server engine damage. MB recommends premium unleaded for the G550. I'd be curious to hear from others using regular unleaded in their G550.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Sounds like an awesome trip. How serious of offroading will you be doing? If its not that serious I would reccomend a Ford pickup. Plenty of room to store your stuff, way more comfy than the G, a fuel tank that has about 14 more gallons, and its a Ford so you are probably more likely to come across a Ford dealer for parts or service if the need arises. Plus you can get something like this and have a massive gas tank

http://www.transferflow.com/Ford_replacement_tank.html
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by way2evil
Sounds like an awesome trip. How serious of offroading will you be doing? If its not that serious I would reccomend a Ford pickup. Plenty of room to store your stuff, way more comfy than the G, a fuel tank that has about 14 more gallons, and its a Ford so you are probably more likely to come across a Ford dealer for parts or service if the need arises. Plus you can get something like this and have a massive gas tank

http://www.transferflow.com/Ford_replacement_tank.html
No serious off-roading will be involved. We will try to stay on main roads. However, I am sure there will be plenty of occasions to test the G's off-road abilities.

Although a Ford pickup is a good alternative with probably more advantages, I wish to take a G-class as it is my favorite car.

A few options exit adding a considerable gas tank on the G-class.
|

Last edited by Behike; 04-24-2011 at 04:47 PM.