Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What justifies an AMG badge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And on that note, around here you can barely toss a pebble without hitting a grey E320. But I've seen all of 1 e420 in the last year (and a nice, different, Burgundy one at that), let alone a Sport model.

RBRENTON88,
I hope you aren't offended too much, because it's not my intention to offend anyone. As I understand you put your badge for the "completeness" sake? Ok, so either you can debadge it totally, which is fine, then you can have E430, which is the way it's made, but then two other ways of naming it are strange. AMG E430 - there is no such car in any pricelist and if simply AMG with no E430, sorry, but then AMG what? 55, 43, 32, etc?
Once a DEALER was asking if we want an M badge with our car when we were ordering it, since it was 320d with M3 bodykit and M wheels, sports seats, etc. We said no and leave 320d in its' place. He was rather surprised and strated saying that since you got kit and everything you have a right to put M on the left side and leave 320d on the right side or take 320d off. We insisted that the car comes as it comes from the factory, with no M badges.
I just don't like it, because when people see an AMG/M badge they want to race you or start harrassing you on the road if you don't bite. So an AMG badge on a regular Benz is like asking for extra kind of a "wrong attention", which I don't need. That's another reason not to put AMG letters on the trunk.
If I had a powerful/expensive car I would probably debadge it completely, to avoid the attention I was talking about. You are very deceived if you think that showing your wealth to other people produces any positive reaction or admiration. Most of the time it awakens lowly emotions like envy and that's a reliable source of all evil. If you are ready to encounter all that then good for you, if not, then think twice about waking up the sleeping dog.
It was the Jaguar who "sunk" Elms a while ago, wasn't it? Neighboors snitched on him that he got a new expensive car, wasn't it something like that?
By the way, I didn't get what you meant by the quote above. You see more expensive cars (E430) rarely at your place and less expenisve cars (E320) more often, so what's the question?? That's pretty logical to me.

Last edited by KnightRider; 08-15-2002 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Originally posted by Fuzzo
now see that's what i would do if i had the loot... buy a real AMG and debadge ir completely.. maybe even put on fake 320 badges on there.. (well that's a bit tacky..so i might not do that) but I will definitely take off all immediate signs that it was a real AMG and make it a sleeper.... that's the way to go.. that way even the AMG fakes will think they can take you
I fixed my Z28 to look like it has a V6 Camaro muffler. MY Z28 badges are still on there but I still get challanged everytime I go into town by the local rice crowd.

It is fun. If I were to take the badges off I would probably go insane from all the challanges. Btw, most motor heads know real fast what is up with they hear my cam.

Eric
Old 08-15-2002, 09:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by wizkid
... Btw, most motor heads know real fast what is up with they hear my cam.

Eric
What ?!?!?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
My MB service advisor tells me that a lot of 500s have been and are being changed to 600s with V12 badges because of buyers' requests!

REASONS: Ego and insecurity problems.

Occasionally, there is a rare debadging request.

REASONS: Humility and security.

LIVE AND LET LIVE!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally posted by KnightRider

RBRENTON88,
I hope you aren't offended too much, because it's not my intention to offend anyone. As I understand you put your badge for the "completeness" sake?

<snip>

Well, I'm not THAT offended. No not 'completeness'...I just like the looks. (but no, I haven't put one on)

I also like the looks of all the aftermarket wheels posted here, but I can't drop 2 G's on wheels unless people start buying million dollar phone equipment again.

Originally posted by KnightRider

You are very deceived if you think that showing your wealth to other people produces any positive reaction or admiration.
I never said that. And I don't have any wealth left after paying off this car.

QUOTE]Originally posted by KnightRider

I didn't get what you meant by the quote above. You see more expensive cars (E430) rarely at your place and less expenisve cars (E320) more often, so what's the question?? That's pretty logical to me.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I meant pretty much never. I thought that was odd. There are plenty of 740i's around to go along with the 3xx's in these parts though.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:21 PM

I never said that. And I don't have any wealth left after paying off this car.

RBrenton88, sorry, I didn't mean that personally, I say "if you think" as in "anyone who thinks". That's just a way of addressing people, which is a bit more accusative than neutral though, I agree.
My opinion on badges as on decoration items is that no "letters and figures" badge really adds to the looks. One thing is a prancing horse, raging bull, three pointed star, blue/white propeller, spirit of ecstasy, etc, they can be nice. Another thing is just an engine/model designation.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
So I guess you wouldn't like the basket-handle spoiler on the trunk, and the neon lights underneath?

Old 10-25-2002, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I like the AMG emblem because it looks cool, and because it's different from the stock MB emblem. But after seeing all you guys make such a fuss about it, I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't get it for my c320.

But comon people. Can't someone get it because it looks nice and because it's different? I would never put on the big bold letters AMG in the back of my c320. That would be pretending to be something my car isn't, but the emblem... it's sooooo small.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
sure you can. it's as big a deal as you want to make it. a lot of people pass judgement here b/c they don't know each other.

do what you want.

i like the silver amg badge (but i don't know where to get it)

http://www.benzsport.com/forums/show...threadid=15074
Old 10-25-2002, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
I spotted a pair of "AMG Sport" badges recently on ebay. The guy was asking over a hundred bucks, and the grainy photo seemed to show that they were about a half inch by 2 inches.

Is that supposed to be subtle or just a ripoff?

I still want to put a V-Tec badge on my trunk just as a goof.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
amg is just a buncha whack! i'm pretty sure my pimped out ghettofied Civic TypeRSSD could prolly whoop up on you!

J/K!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
The AMG tradition lives on:

Precision, quality, POWER, prestige...
Old 02-19-2003, 06:07 PM

i think that if a car is worth the ///AMG badge then MB would have put it on. and all the people that put on the ///AMG badges are suck S**t.
i saw a CL-class that had a CL600 ///AMG. who are they fooling?
Old 02-25-2003, 12:05 AM

slk32amg
Talking

I think exactly the opposite guys.
I used to take both my 32 and AMG badges off my stock SLK32.
The most pathetic is to face a 540, 320, 430, TT and even M3 owners seconds after green light goes on...
I sometimes used to stick my old SLK230 badge too. It is pretty funny. Try it .
Old 02-25-2003, 09:35 PM

yeah, but if you have an SLK230 then you shouldnt put on an AMG badge. b/c the AMG badge doesnt all of a sudden mean that its an AMG. so its not like your going to be able to out run anyone more powerful then an SLK230. so all it is is just show. so what do you do when an E55AMG rolls up?????
Old 02-25-2003, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I may be wrong here...but I think what Marcelo meant was that he debadged the "32" and "AMG" off his SLK32 and placed "230" in its place. Resulting in "SLK230" on the back rather than "SLK32 AMG". Presumably to make people think it was an SLK230. That way when someone says "hey I can outrun that benz" they get a wild surprise.

I don't think he was talking about placing an "AMG" badge on his SLK230...which by his post seams was replaced by a new SLK32?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:50 PM

slk32amg
Talking AMG Badge

Absolutely 500AMG ,you got my point.
I have had excellent times after taking my AMG badge
off . Even the V6 KOMPRESSOR I also took off.
The point is we must be very self controlled to avoid race everyone in green lights. Try it guys.
HEHEHE
Old 02-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: AMG Badge

Originally posted by marcelo olivier
Absolutely 500AMG ,you got my point.
I have had excellent times after taking my AMG badge
off . Even the V6 KOMPRESSOR I also took off.
The point is we must be very self controlled to avoid race everyone in green lights. Try it guys.
HEHEHE
You are no fun! Racing everyone at the lights is the best part of owning an ///AMG
Old 02-26-2003, 09:58 AM

slk32amg
Wink

Maybe you are allright. The point is that I only race first-class cars.
Vettes, Vipers, Mustangs ... are just "sofas-on-wheels" and might have their own business, so...
Old 03-14-2003, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally posted by Boo2
The M in BMW is a different story since that applies just to the engine. Anyone with an M badge without a production M is an idiot since there is no such thing as M wheels, M exhausts, etc. That is not the case of AMG.

Actually if you own an E36 BMW you can get M Rims, M bodykit, badges, M exhaust, etc. With the E46 you can also get rims & badges, but im not sure about body kits, trust me ive seen thousands of non M BMW 3 series that look like a real M to the teeth.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:36 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by ChrisC32
Actually if you own an E36 BMW you can get M Rims, M bodykit, badges, M exhaust, etc. With the E46 you can also get rims & badges, but im not sure about body kits, trust me ive seen thousands of non M BMW 3 series that look like a real M to the teeth.
Key phrase in your post is "...look like.." I would say close, but no cigar. BMW doesn't directly market those M products to non-M cars. AMG does.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:40 PM

2003 C32
Key phrase in your post is "...look like.." I would say close, but no cigar. BMW doesn't directly market those M products to non-M cars. AMG does.
Maybe it's just me putting on my Semantics jersey, but AMG isn't marketing their products anymore than M is; the only difference is that the "Sport" line from Mercedes can feature AMG kits, while BMW's sport packages are completely different than their M line.

But, there's nothing at all stopping 325ix drivers or 318ti drivers from slapping M components on their cars. I can't count how many E36s I've seen with M mirrors, for god's sake.

So, Mercedes puts the components on some of their cars, but those aren't being badged AMG. My mother's CLK 430 has AMG wheels but no badge, and the sport models that get AMG kit don't end up with that badge.

As the AMG website previously mentioned says, the badge is for the entire car, not the components.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:32 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by AlpharettaC32

So, Mercedes puts the components on some of their cars, but those aren't being badged AMG. My mother's CLK 430 has AMG wheels but no badge, and the sport models that get AMG kit don't end up with that badge.
Good point.

Originally posted by AlpharettaC32
Maybe it's just me putting on my Semantics jersey, but AMG isn't marketing their products anymore than M is; the only difference is that the "Sport" line from Mercedes can feature AMG kits, while BMW's sport packages are completely different than their M line.
Re-read your post......if Mercedes put AMG components (wheels, kits, exhausts, etc.) on non-AMG benzes, and BMW doesn't; then they are marketing AMG more than M. With the exception of wheels, every other AMG product is designed for non-AMG cars.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:18 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Well, I think AMG may seperate itself somewhat more than the sport cars. B/C the bodykits are the same as the wheels. Of course AMG offers their incredible engines and upgraded brakes. But say the old E430 sport may look EXACTLY like a E55 except the AMG badge.

Where BMW does not offer the M wheels and Kits from the factory on their cars. Their sport models have different kits.

THe only time I've seen them be the same is the current 540 2003 6-speed, the front air dam is identical to the M5, this is a first.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:41 PM

2003 C32
Re-read your post......if Mercedes put AMG components (wheels, kits, exhausts, etc.) on non-AMG benzes, and BMW doesn't; then they are marketing AMG more than M. With the exception of wheels, every other AMG product is designed for non-AMG cars.
This is where the semantics part comes in that I didn't adequately explain (my bad):

I don't see it as "marketing" as much as lack of creativity on the part of MB. The new sport package on the C class (with those funky 5 spoke rims that are not AMG) is a branch away from that (although the availability of AMG components on the E500 Sport outside the U.S. is a step in the "wrong" direction).

Hopefully Mercedes is trying to differentiate anything AMG to follow M Sport's example. To be honest, though, I think that we may be missing a bigger point. There are other manufacturers (and Audi's S/RS line is a great example of this) that use components from their performance arm on their standard vehicles (the availability of the S steering wheel on the A4 stands out here) without a suffering in terms of brand identity.

MB simply needs to put more work into letting the American press know what AMG stands for and get those cars into comparison testing. God knows the Audi S (especially from two body styles ago) was completely unknown until the new S4 was heavily thrown at the press.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What justifies an AMG badge...